PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats sign Ty Warren to 5-year, $36M ($17.5M guaranteed) extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Quigs...keep your load down...we all know that Krafty saved a ton by doing this now.

Myra must be smilin! 5th Ave...here we come!

Yup, because that is what "those people" do, right Danny Boy.

Re: Schefter: Pats sign Ty Warren to 3-year, $36M ($17.5M guaranteed) extension

Great signing. Now they have to get Wilfork done and have a young d-line that will play together for years.

This isn't true. There is 7.79 million committed to Samuel that the Pats can't touch. And, since they can't do a long term deal until after the season is over, that money is stuck with Samuel unless he's traded.

Quick question: if Samuel sits out during the regular season, does that free up cap space for the Pats?

There you go again with the snide remark. Gonna bail on this thread too?

Nothing snide about it, just going by what you post, Danny Boy.

Quick question: if Samuel sits out during the regular season, does that free up cap space for the Pats?

My understanding is yes. At present the Pats have allotted $7.79m of space and every gave that goes by that he does not play in, we get $487k added to this year's cap.

There you go again with the snide remark. Gonna bail on this thread too?

Hey dipsh*t: Why no catch phrase responses to my post? The hilarious "Well I got that goin for me" is a good one. Or are you just going to continue to slander people like a good ole internet asshat?

Not sure if this has been posted:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Excerpt frm Reiss:

On finishing his career as a Patriot:
"That would be the ideal situation for me. You ask people why they play football and some might say it's because they're good at it, others might say it's because of the money, and others might say it's the love of the game. Obviously, playing this game helps me provide for my family but I put myself in the last category."

Wish Deion Branch or Asante Samuel would read that quote.

C'mon guys, this situation is in no way comparable to Asante. I bet Asante would have been thrilled to sign an extension with 2 years left, getting 10M+ in new money for each extension year. NE made it easy on Warren. They are making it difficult on Asante. Judging Asante based on this is unfair.

No. Even if Samuel sits out until week 10 they take the full $7.79M cap hit.

C'mon guys, this situation is in no way comparable to Asante. I bet Asante would have been thrilled to sign an extension with 2 years left, getting 10M+ in new money for each extension year. NE made it easy on Warren. They are making it difficult on Asante. Judging Asante based on this is unfair.

In a roundabout way it is similar to Samuel. The difference is, Samuel was not all that good prior to last season. How many times on this board or anywhere else did people piss and moan about him, how he gets beat, how he gets a flag all the time? He had a great year last year and now thinks that one year's body of work entitles him to many more millions. On the other had, Ty Warren has been a consistent stud. True, he was dominant last year, but the prior year he was solid too. He has shown how he can be a dominant player for years to come and Samuel has simply not. One season does not make a player.

Miguel has already answered this :

He would take up the full $7.79M cap hit BUT for the unpaid money we could use the LTBE loophole to move the money into next year. I am supremely confident Samuel won't miss a game but with some bookkeeping maneuvers we can move the unpaid money into next year.

But screw Samuel - I'm thrilled to have Warren for 5 more years :rocker:

This is incorrect.

This belief stems from a previous misinterpretation of CBA language that says that Asante CURRENTLY counts against the cap in an amount equal to the size of the tender.

Once Asante signs, his cap hit will equal the total number of dollars that he is scheduled to be paid in 2007. Every game he misses before signing the contract will reduce his cap hit. This money will then be available for other uses (such as pushing it into 2008 via faux LTBE incentives).

[I think that the CBA language is ambiguous as to WHEN the extra money becomes available. I would expect Asante's cap hit to be reduced each time he misses a game, but the language also supports an interpretation that no money becomes available until Asante signs his contract (or the Patriot's withdraw the tender). Either way this is completely irrelevant since Asante will be reporting before the first game.]

Last edited:

C'mon guys, this situation is in no way comparable to Asante.

I think it IS comparable in the sense that there's a way to go about negotiating that is effective with the Patriots F.O. Warren stuck to within those parameters - stay out of the papers, take a tempered approach. Asante played that way for about ten minutes before he devolved into being a Bengal-like chatterbox diva. (Actually, I'm not sure this is fair. I'm overstating things, I'm just sort of anti-Asante right now b/c I do think he overplayed his hand. He hasn't been that much of a jerk about it. I just want him in camp.)

Sorry, 22 - you lose. You'll be franchised again next year and then dealt to a team in the NFC with NO SHOT of winning for the remainder of your contract. But hey - have fun.

Last edited:

Well, I'll grant you that it depends entirely on how you view Asante's value.

I don't remember the #s reported, but it seemed to me like the Pats made Asante an offer that was as fair to him as their offer to Warren was. Warren acceped, Asante was insulted. So, that is the difference.

I believe the value Asante has placed on himself is ridicolously bloated, but if you happen to agree with that value, then yes, the situations are not comparable. It all depends on how much you think Asante is worth.

Last edited:

Taking about ASSante on this thread is like talking about your ex on your wedding night - let's celebrate Warrren's new contract and not talk about the ASS.

This is incorrect.

This belief stems from a previous misinterpretation of CBA language that says that Asante CURRENTLY counts against the cap in an amount equal to the size of the tender.

Once Asante signs, his cap hit will equal the total number of dollars that he is scheduled to be paid in 2007. Every game he misses before signing the contract will reduce his cap hit. This money will then be available for other uses (such as pushing it into 2008 via faux LTBE incentives).

[I think that the CBA language is ambiguous as to WHEN the extra money becomes available. I would expect Asante's cap hit to be reduced each time he misses a game, but the language also supports an interpretation that no money becomes available until Asante signs his contract (or the Patriot's withdraw the tender). Either way this is completely irrelevant since Asante will be reporting before the first game.]

The bottom line is that there's no way the Pats could or would leave themselves without cap room for if and when Asante signs his tender this year.

What this signing does do is dries up some money that could have gone to Samuel if and when he signs a new contract at the end of this season... but that's not something I'm going to concern myself with for quite sometime.

This is incorrect.

The CBA (pages 61 and 62) says:
"During any League Year in which the Salary Cap is in effect, all of
the following amounts shall be included every day in determining a Team’s Team Salary:
(b) Tenders.....
(v) For Transition Players and Franchise Players, the tender will be included in Team Salary when made until the player is signed, the tender is withdrawn, the Team’s rights are relinquished, or the Tuesday following the tenth game of the regular season (if the player is unsigned).

IMO, the CBA is rather clear that Samuel is counting against the cap even though he has not yet signed the tender.

I had stated when they dropped Rodney $700,000 that it didn't make sense unless omethng big was up. This qualifies as "something big".

Great move!

IMO, this has nothing to do with Harrison.

Harrison redid his deal in May. Warren and the Patriots did not start talking about the extension until TC. The Patriots did not need the cap savings from Harrison's paycut to do this deal.

Hey dipsh*t: Why no catch phrase responses to my post? The hilarious "Well I got that goin for me" is a good one. Or are you just going to continue to slander people like a good ole internet asshat?

Careful with the name calling....I'll run to the mods and have you banned.

So I got that goin for me.

IMO, this has nothing to do with Harrison.

Harrison redid his deal in May. Warren and the Patriots did not start talking about the extension until TC. The Patriots did not need the cap savings from Harrison's paycut to do this deal.

It all is in the same money pool. Even though the "talks" did not start until TC, the vision had to be there well before that.

Just say, " Nut, you were soooo right".

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft