PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats sign Ty Warren to 5-year, $36M ($17.5M guaranteed) extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Schefter: Pats sign Ty Warren to 3-year, $36M ($17.5M guaranteed) extension

Warren:“It just goes to show that when things are handled behind closed doors, they run smoothly.”

Nice. Gotta love subtext between the lines in ALLCAPS. :)

Dear ***ante,

There went your money.

"This wasn't an ego deal and there was no venom in the paper. That's the way I'd rather have it."

---Ty Warren, hero

Dabruinz, in answer to your question, I think the Pats have shifted from their philosophy of only negotiating with one contract year left because they've noticed more and more disgruntled players with a disconnect between talent and salary.

They didn't want another Seymour or Branch situation next year, and also they've realized it harms team chemistry when a talented player gets pissed when they feel they are playing for far below their value.

By doing this deal now instead of next year, Warren feels happy and rewarded now, and the Pats also get a good long term deal/value from this.

It's a win-win.

As someone who loves this deal - this being my 4th post in the thread - may I be the first one to point out the possibly controversial point that not only did they give him big money but did so despite having TWO years left on the rookie deal. Does make that $$$ even more...remarkable, to put it politely.

Bottom line, though - they clearly love Ty and what he's developed into, and they inadvertantly show the NFL (and, perhaps more importantly, the team) that they are willing to throw around major bank if you earn it and negotiate quietly.

Precisely. It's pro-active. It's what they should have done with Branch, but did not for what I'm sure were good reasons. Not that it matters anymore...we've assembled the greatest WR corps in NFL history. F-Branch.

I would have loved to be a fly on Samuel's wall when he found out about this Wow. I sense things were thrown against the wall.

Problem is, some players would want to renegotiate in two years.

Players like Branch. There's no panacea. The Patriots deal depending on how much they value the player and the position.

They are not bound by all these "never do's" the fans try to imagine they are.

Now that is good news.

This team is built in the threnches, the d line is tied up as is the Offensive line.. it starts here, and other than Brady everything is built around the front 7on D and the front 5 on Offense.. this is good news, keep brining in new draftees guess BB is gonna be around for a couple of years.

Simple. This says to the players we (management) decide who to secure and who not to. We'll try to pay fairly, but if you don't like it we'll replace you.

Or something to that effect.:rocker:
That's how I read it, also.

And personally, I think it will be more benficial over the next fiveyears to have Warren on board than Samuel, though I sure that every time another team completes a long pass, I be hearing, "That wouldn't have happened if we had Samuel."

I know it isn't always either/or, but I like putting the money where it will do teh most good. I think a solid, if unspecatular, Oline and Dline, does more for winning that a flashy CB or WR.

Just my opinion.

Policies change. Seymour got away with extorting a bit of money via a holdout. Warren got renegotiated early. Samuel may get some kind of concession to sign his franchise-tag deal.

So?

This makes sense for Warren, basically he was only going to make a little less than 3 million over the next two seasons. Think about it, now he is set for life. After what BB said about Vince yesterday "the best nose tackle he has ever coached" you can bet the big guy is next.

Smart move on both sides, Warren "gets paid" and the Pats don't have to pay top DE money.

The hardest thing to find in the NFL is a great starting QB, and a D-Line. I think the Pats are doing just fine.

Wow, que delicioso! :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

BB loves his defensive lineman. Ask him about how great his linebacker corps was with the Giants and he usually says something along the lines of "Sure, they were good, but that defense started with the DL..." and then goes on and on about the DL.

Breer is not including the fact that Warren's 2008 salary could have increased due to escalator clauses in his contract. Given that his 2007 salary was increased because of a reached escalator, it seems very likely that his 2008 salary would also have been increased.
Please note that when Warren's 2008 salary was originally scheduled to be $1.05 million before yesterday's extension his 2008 salary was scheduled to be $1.45 million so it seems to safe to day that Warren had already reached some of his escalators.

Ah, no one mentioned... damn, we should have kept Bledsoe!!:singing:

Miguel,

Does this contract in any way "use" some of the extra room the Pats had left in their cap for this year? (ie by front loading some of the deal to count disproportionately this year instead of 2008 or 2009)?

Way too early to answer that.

...and then the Pats FO proves once again that they are about 15 steps ahead of everyone.

Youre right, I shouldnt bust her bawls....just the other day I was coming out of Walmart and I saw her drop a $5 bill in that charity bin...thats way more than I gave!...no wonder she asked for a receipt!

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2007/03/18/giving_large/

>>>In the last four decades, the Krafts have given away more than $100 million,
and the pace of their giving is speeding up>>>

You're right, it's more than you gave, so go away........far away.....

Hey Quigs...keep your load down...we all know that Krafty saved a ton by doing this now.

Myra must be smilin! 5th Ave...here we come!

Hey! It's our resident a-hole, taking a moment from his busy day to hump some legs for attention.

How's it going, assclown?

Dear ***ante,

There went your money.

This isn't true. There is 7.79 million committed to Samuel that the Pats can't touch. And, since they can't do a long term deal until after the season is over, that money is stuck with Samuel unless he's traded.

I had stated when they dropped Rodney $700,000 that it didn't make sense unless omethng big was up. This qualifies as "something big".

Great move!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey