PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats sign Ty Warren to 5-year, $36M ($17.5M guaranteed) extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Schefter: Pats sign Ty Warren to 3-year, $36M ($17.5M guaranteed) extension

I love the move.

So this is a 3 year extension on top of the 2 years remaining on his rookie deal? Or did they rip up the old, and hand out a new? In signing an extension they can still spread the bonus over the entire 5 years right?

Careful with the name calling....I'll run to the mods and have you banned.

So I got that goin for me.
A snitch from southy. :eek: The world IS truely coming to an end as we know it. :D

A snitch from southy. :eek: The world IS truely coming to an end as we know it. :D

Someone snitched on me to get me banned in another forum and my gut tells me it was the person I was responding to.

She'll never admit it though.

The CBA (pages 61 and 62) says:
"During any League Year in which the Salary Cap is in effect, all of
the following amounts shall be included every day in determining a Team’s Team Salary:
(b) Tenders.....
(v) For Transition Players and Franchise Players, the tender will be included in Team Salary when made until the player is signed, the tender is withdrawn, the Team’s rights are relinquished, or the Tuesday following the tenth game of the regular season (if the player is unsigned).

IMO, the CBA is rather clear that Samuel is counting against the cap even though he has not yet signed the tender.

I agree. It is unambiguous.

My question is this:

Suppose Asante signs his tender immediately after the ninth game (I know its pretty far fetched). After game one, does Asante still count $7.79M against the cap, or does his cap hit IMMEDIATELY decrease based on the lost game check?

It all is in the same money pool. Even though the "talks" did not start until TC, the vision had to be there well before that.

Just say, " Nut, you were soooo right".

Nut, you have NO clue if you think the Harrison reduction had anything to do with Harrison "taking one for the team" and voluntarily reducing his salary due to a perceived lack of 2007 cap space.

If, in the next week, the Patriots strike long term deals with Gaffney, Gay, Moss and Wilson, it still won't have anything to do with the Harrison reduction.

Harrison's salary was reduced because he was earning significantly more than he would have gotten on the open market, and the Patriots were able to leverage their ability to cut Harrison into a salary reduction.

Nut, you have NO clue if you think the Harrison reduction had anything to do with Harrison "taking one for the team" and voluntarily reducing his salary due to a perceived lack of 2007 cap space.

If, in the next week, the Patriots strike long term deals with Gaffney, Gay, Moss and Wilson, it still won't have anything to do with the Harrison reduction.

Harrison's salary was reduced because he was earning significantly more than he would have gotten on the open market, and the Patriots were able to leverage their ability to cut Harrison into a salary reduction.

So, when you were there and they were talking about it, how did Rodney look? Was he happy, sad, angry, or just not caring what went on?

Youre right, I shouldnt bust her bawls....just the other day I was coming out of Walmart and I saw her drop a $5 bill in that charity bin...thats way more than I gave!...no wonder she asked for a receipt!

Hilarious, good comeback!!

Careful with the name calling....I'll run to the mods and have you banned.

So I got that goin for me.

Lol--be my guest. Run along to whatever mod you think will support you and tattle away to your heart's content. Jackas*.

I have to say i love the comments from him.. great to hear a player make the following comment:

On finishing his career as a Patriot:
"That would be the ideal situation for me. You ask people why they play football and some might say it's because they're good at it, others might say it's because of the money, and others might say it's the love of the game. Obviously, playing this game helps me provide for my family but I put myself in the last category."

So, when you were there and they were talking about it, how did Rodney look? Was he happy, sad, angry, or just not caring what went on?

The only people on the call were Steve Feldman and Scott Pioli. As far as Rodney was concerned, it was just business. As had been noted by numerous sources at the time Rodney signed his original deal in early 2003, "no one expects him to play more than two or three years of the deal." That included Rodney.

This is such standard business practice in the NFL today, its hard to believe you are actually disputing it. Players sign back loaded contracts with the expectation that during the back loaded years they will either be cut or forced to renegotiate. When the player is still valuable and neither side has unreasonable expectations, the back loaded years get renegotiated. Otherwise, they get cut.

(In all seriousness, I believe that Pasquarelli has a leaking arrangement with Feldman, as he does with many other agents. Its not necessarily the best way to create accurate reports, but it IS a good way of getting information on the player's point of view.)

The only people on the call were Steve Feldman and Scott Pioli. As far as Rodney was concerned, it was just business. As had been noted by numerous sources at the time Rodney signed his original deal in early 2003, "no one expects him to play more than two or three years of the deal." That included Rodney.

This is such standard business practice in the NFL today, its hard to believe you are actually disputing it. Players sign back loaded contracts with the expectation that during the back loaded years they will either be cut or forced to renegotiate. When the player is still valuable and neither side has unreasonable expectations, the back loaded years get renegotiated. Otherwise, they get cut. That is the part that I didn't buy then and don't buy now. For $700,000 you cut the QB of your secondary? You have plenty of cap space and you risk disrespecting one of your best players?

One size does not fit all. That's why I said then and say now, it was part of a long term plan and it looks like the Warren deal.

(In all seriousness, I believe that Pasquarelli has a leaking arrangement with Feldman, as he does with many other agents. Its not necessarily the best way to create accurate reports, but it IS a good way of getting information on the player's point of view.)
You, me, and Miguel will have to agree to disagree on this one thing.

I was right!:rocker:

I have to say i love the comments from him.. great to hear a player make the following comment:

On finishing his career as a Patriot:
"That would be the ideal situation for me. You ask people why they play football and some might say it's because they're good at it, others might say it's because of the money, and others might say it's the love of the game. Obviously, playing this game helps me provide for my family but I put myself in the last category."

I do believe that that man received an IV injection of the Kool-Aid, full strength. If he keeps talking like that, what will all those naysayers ( "Pats are cheap" "nobody wants to play for BB" " Pats are just gearing up for 2007 and not beyond") do?
Probably complain about the parking, being forced to buy preseason tickets as part of a season ticket plan or the charity of the ownership or the ownership not bowing to pressure and breaking the bank for every player regardless of their value according to the front office. When that is the only thing that you or I as a fan can complain about, then things are in pretty good shape. Ask somebody in Cleveland, Oakland, Detroit ( don't believe the hype-Millen's still in charge)or Minnesota if they'd swap and they would in a heartbeat.
This organization has found some gems who play at a high level, are well rewarded and still seem to have their heads on straight.....

Last edited:

I freakin' love this team!!!

We had a thread last year where I argued Warren was our 3rd best player. I think he is and pushing Richard for nr. 2. Needless to say. I think this is a great move. I think our defense is going to be good for a long time with a front 3 like we have. I'd like to add an edge pass-rusher and cb in the 08 draft. I'm assuming Asante leaves after the season. Only positions we don't have solid young talent is ILB and SS. I'm not as big a Sanders fan as most.
Those are positions BB seems to like to fill in with vets. So, I see us one good draft from having a pretty young, talented D. We're good now. But, might even be able to get better.

It also says that if you get an agent who is on the same plane, you can get a deal that works for all parties. McElroy negotiated Welker's FA deal and now Warrens extension. Obviously, he has no problem dealing with the Pats front office.

EXCELLENT tidbit/observation there.

Note the McElroy deals - blue chip BUT blue-collar guys, evidently not looking to impress other players with how much "respect" they got. Warren is still in that blue-collar guy category - like Asante, if he tried to break the bank, he'd be SOL. Even more so because of the 2 years left on the rookie deal. But their main similarity is they're recognizing their roles - Welker is no Moss, and accepts it. Warren has one very good season under his belt, and a good trend line -- and accepts that "will be a pro bowler" isn't the same as "perenniel pro bowler." That's what Asante needs to understand. Same was true with Branch.

Proven guys getting long-term deals, and sacrificing the HUGE total/guaranteed numbers, to get continuity and security, obviously favors the team, so guys like us love it.

Looks like McElroy has a habit of turning up guys who say "yeah who needs the crap that goes with trying to get every nickel out of it... I DO get something when you structure a deal designed to keep me."

Meanwhile, for Asante...? Tick... tick... tick...

Dude, you have your choice in the matter, obviously... but your whole holdout exercise should demonstrate there is risk in doing nothing. I'm not a pro player, but every time I play Madden, guess what happens when I stand still? Hire McElroy, get some rings, and stick around.

PFnV

PS before someone gets all labor/management on me, no there is nothing wrong with trying to get top dollar. Agreed. Can't hate them for that.

But it is also possible to make the wrong decision, chanting the mantra of "just getting paid."

I don't as easily bet on a guy who's been out of the league a year, and who's shown himself happy to hold out on a team. As has been pointed out ad infinitum, A.S. will be missing game checks, if the holdout continues. And oh yeah, how about chemistry upon his return? It suffers.

So if A.S. does not envision getting what he's holding out for, I wonder if this type of factor is downplayed by a McElroy while it is played UP by a Shavers.

PFnV

You, me, and Miguel will have to agree to disagree on this one thing.

We will have to do so.

I was right, though;)

That is the part that I didn't buy then and don't buy now. For $700,000 you cut the QB of your secondary? You have plenty of cap space and you risk disrespecting one of your best players?

It is NOT disrespectful to ask a player to renegotiate or get cut.

If Tom Brady's contract was back loaded with a $30M season, he would also have to renegotiate or get cut.

This does not show any disrespect to Tom Brady.

The Patriots have proven by example that you don't win Superbowls by paying players substantially more than their fair market value.

Tom Brady's fair market value is substantially less than $30M/season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back