PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats sign Ty Warren to 5-year, $36M ($17.5M guaranteed) extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
In one aspect, this is a great move. It locks up a tremendous talent in Warren until he's into his 30's. However, in another, its a major change from their normal operations. Until now, they have refused to re-do a rookie deal if there was more than one year left on the deal. And, because its a change, you have to ask yourself what kind of reaction that is going to have with the players who the Pats forced to wait to redo their deals.

I don't know ... I think it's consistent with NE's philosophy of locking up premium guys before their contracts expires.

Clearly they didn't consider Branch, Samuel & Graham premium. But Seymour (obv), Warren, Brady & Koppen fit the bill.

Hey Dannyboy.....If you really want to know what makes Myra Kraft smile - it would be all of her hard work helping countless thousands of people less fortunate that all of us. Would you please take your mean spirited agenda somewhere else....nobody cares what you think.

Youre right, I shouldnt bust her bawls....just the other day I was coming out of Walmart and I saw her drop a $5 bill in that charity bin...thats way more than I gave!...no wonder she asked for a receipt!

Re: Schefter: Pats sign Ty Warren to 3-year, $36M ($17.5M guaranteed) extension

Being that this is an extension, I'd be willing to bet that Warren will have an option/roster bonus this year and one next year added to what he was getting. Generally, the Pats don't rip up the old contract. So, in all likelyhood, the Pats will eat up a lot of the money they have free this year by giving it as a bonus to Warren.

It will be interesting to see exactly how this deal shakes out in terms of cap hits. I look forward to Miguel's breakdown.

I don't know ... I think it's consistent with NE's philosophy of locking up premium guys before their contracts expires.

Clearly they didn't consider Branch, Samuel & Graham premium. But Seymour (obv), Warren, Brady & Koppen fit the bill.

Tom -
If you review Seymour, Brady and Koppen's extensions, they happened when the player had one year left on his deal. AND the Pats didn't rip up the rookie contract. One of the things that many people scratched their heads over was the Pats insistence that they would't negotiate an extension on a rookie deal that had more than 1 year on it.

Brady's deal was done after 2001, when he would have had 1 year left. Seymour's deal was also done with only 1 year left on it. Same with Koppen.

Warren's extension is out of that norm.

In one aspect, this is a great move. It locks up a tremendous talent in Warren until he's into his 30's. However, in another, its a major change from their normal operations. Until now, they have refused to re-do a rookie deal if there was more than one year left on the deal. And, because its a change, you have to ask yourself what kind of reaction that is going to have with the players who the Pats forced to wait to redo their deals.

Simple. This says to the players we (management) decide who to secure and who not to. We'll try to pay fairly, but if you don't like it we'll replace you.

Or something to that effect.:rocker:

By the way "Oh what will we do without Deion"?:(

Give his money to Ty.

Next question?

Fantastic news!!! So happy for Ty and his family! Loved his comment/mini message - "just goes to show, when things are handled behind close doors, they go smoothly" or words to that affect.

This is a great deal for everyone.

We discussed this approach several months ago. Some of us recomended to start signing top players with two years left on their rookie contracts. The alternative was a sit out after this season.

Is my math off - 36/5 = 7+ million/year not 5.
That's why I generally just go read Miguel's posts and limit my math to counting on one hand! :rofl:

* They tried with Branch before his last year, but it didn't work out. They tried to do a deal with Graham before his last year but that didn't work out either. Samuel didn't have that much value until he played his last year. The thing that's different, as DaBruinz mentioned is Warren has 2 years left. But I'd guess his salary doesn't change for this year and next or it'd be inconsistent with what they wanted with Branch. IMO, the player is almost always better off getting that guaranteed money signed to now rather than, in Warren's case, 2 years from now in FA. Even he he might get more then.

Now it's time to announce a deal with Samuel.

* They tried with Branch before his last year, but it didn't work out. They tried to do a deal with Graham before his last year but that didn't work out either. Samuel didn't have that much value until he played his last year. The thing that's different, as DaBruinz mentioned is Warren has 2 years left. But I'd guess his salary doesn't change for this year and next or it'd be inconsistent with what they wanted with Branch. IMO, the player is almost always better off getting that guaranteed money signed to now rather than, in Warren's case, 2 years from now in FA. Even he he might get more then.

Thanks for pointing that difference out, guys. Either way, I'm fine with it. I have no problem with setting the precedent of extending a first round draft pick two years out who has exceeded expectations.

I think if Maroney is a 1500 yard back for the next 2-3 years, we'd all be find with an extension 2 years out.

Ditto Meriweather.

It's paying big $$ to players who are going into their third (or higher) contract where teams screw themselves.

Giving big money to a homegrown player on their second contract is usually a smart move.

Think about it -- what team knows more a players worth coming into this second contract than the one that has been with him from Day 1.

Now that I'm thinking about it, off the top of my head I can't think of a homegrown player where a team got snakebitten with the first contract extension.

Not saying that it doesn't happen, but more often it seems its when a guy is coming off his first contract and hits FA that teams kind of get screwed.

Oh, I guess I'm a bit of a dip. I was under the impression this deal was a bit EXPENSIVE. You guys think it's below-market? Please expound, I'd love to be wrong.

Look at the deals that Derrick Dockery, Eric Stienbach and Leonard Davis signed... 7 years, $49 million each. These guys are guards, one (Davis) was a bust, another (Dockery) nobody outside of the D.C. metro area had heard of.

Now look at Warren's deal. Ty Warren, pronounced "most underrated player in football" and "one of the top 50 players in the NFL" among other things.

That's why it is a below market deal.

Awesome news getting Warren extended. As others have stated, BB is willing to pay out the cash to keep those players he feels are most important to the cause. And anyone who has been paying attention to the way the Pats draft know full well that BB places a huge priority on DL. It would follow that he'll place a huge priority on keeping said drafted DL when the time comes to pay them.

On the precedent matter (of extending with more than 1 year left on initial contract). I'm all for maintaining precedent but, sometimes, the situation changes which require a change in philosophy rendering the precedent moot. Perhaps that time has come?

Re: PFT: Pats sign Warren to 5-year extension

Wasn't that ASSante's money?? Or about the same amount they offered him?

On a side note, I'm relieved to know that Warren is signed... :)

By the way "Oh what will we do without Deion"?:(

Give his money to Ty.

Next question?

LOL. Good point. ('Though many of us also used this argument for AD.)

I have to reiterate again how huge a move this is, this keeps our position of most strength full for years.
It's incredible to think we have 2 1st's and i believe 2 3rd's next year plus assante samuel as trade bait.
With Beoli at the helm who doesn't believe that the secondary and Linebackers will be shelved with great young talent.
I really really wanted Demarcus Ware as well as manny lawson maybe next draft i'll get my wish. Go Pats!
Now the next contract I wanna hear about is the BB's and i'll be dancing in the streets even before the season kicks off.

Warren's agent Vann McElroy: "I think it’s a testament to the Patriots’ willingness to do something when you do it the right way. That’s really what they showed me."

Warren:“It just goes to show that when things are handled behind closed doors, they run smoothly.”

HI, ASANTE! 'SUP?!

Last edited:

Certainly sounded like a message to ***ante $amuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back