PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats Franchise Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to love the drama, gives a ton of things to talk about.

Now what happens to Graham?????
Pats had to the 22nd to assign the tag, perhaps Samuel getting tagged means (in addition to the CB depth issues and weak FA pool) his negotiations were the least productive. Graham at least expressed a willingness to come back.

Now, if the Pats trade Asante, forget draft picks, which team has a young LB ready to step up?

I wouldn't be surprised if the tag is used more than normal this year. A lot of teams have cap space and hasn't the Rule of 51 started already?

I wouldn't be surprised if the tag is used more than normal this year. A lot of teams have cap space and hasn't the Rule of 51 started already?

Yes, but the Rule of 51 isn't going to make much of a difference. Maybe a few million tops.

nice nice...i like the samuel reaction from his agent, i would like to see samuel stay here a bit longer...

anyways...now we can focus on other things in the draft....

The presumption is not that it is exclusive. The presumption is it is the normal non-exclusive tag. Teams can never handle trades themselves because the trading team has to be sure it can sign the player. The exclusive tag is only used on a player you are determined to retain whom you cannot allow to even explore his market. The Colts slapped it on Manning when they did not have a deal done prior to the FA period in 2004. A week later they got his deal hammered out. They were having enough trouble reaching agreement with Condon without allowing him to field equal or better offers from a team who just might have given up 2 first for him were that an option. Believe me if anyone offered BB two firsts for Asante he would not only drive him to the airport, he'd pack his house up for him.

I understand that if someone offered us two first rounders we would jump in a heartbeat, however if we designate Asante with the non-exlusive tag then we must get the two first rounders for compensation. That will not happen. Nobody is giving that for Asante. Period. We would be happy with a solid second rounder for him. The exlusive gives us the ability to negotiate with other teams without demanding two first rounders.

Asante is no Peyton Manning. I am not convinced that the Pats can negotiate a deal with him for a $ amount he will be happy with. That is why I see the exclusive tag being used so we can flip him for a draft pick(s). If I am wrong oh well. I am not sure he has a long term future here.

I don't care if Wikepedia's numbers may be off until 1.5 months from now. The principle is still the same. It defines the practice just fine.

Yes, but the Rule of 51 isn't going to make much of a difference. Maybe a few million tops.

* So than you don't think there may be more players tagged than normal?

Glad to see its true. I don't see Samuel signing here long term, but at least they will get another year out of him or something in a trade. What do you guys think the Patriots could demand in a trade for Samuel? I think a mid to low first rounder is not out of the question.

Reiss has more:

February 16, 2007
Samuel reaction
The agent for Asante Samuel said his client is not upset about the Patriots placing the franchise tag on him.

"We don't look at it as a bad thing," Alonzo Shavers said on Friday night. "This is a step in the process in working toward a long-term deal."

Asked if Samuel would hold out, Shavers said: "That is not our intention at all."

Typical, what a greedy jerk. All he thinks about is the money.

I understand that if someone offered us two first rounders we would jump in a heartbeat, however if we designate Asante with the non-exlusive tag then we must get the two first rounders for compensation. That will not happen. Nobody is giving that for Asante. Period. We would be happy with a solid second rounder for him. The exlusive gives us the ability to negotiate with other teams without demanding two first rounders.

Is that right? We can't trade him under a non-exclusive for whatever we want? I didn't see that in the Wikipedia. It only said we get 2 firsts if another team offers him a deal and we don't match. It didn't say anything about if we decided to trade him. Was Abraham an exclusive? Is there a better source of info on this?

Last edited:
Is that right? We can't trade him under a non-exclusive for whatever we want? I didn't see that in the Wikipedia. It only said we get 2 firsts if another team offers him a deal and we don't match. It didn't say anything about if we decided to trade him. Was Abraham an exclusive? Is there a better source of info on this?

Now that I am reading it again, it doesn't sound correct. I am trying to find a source to document that is clear.

here is another version. http://www.askthecommish.com/freeagency/

Each Club can designate one of its players who would otherwise be an UFA or RFA as a Franchise Player each season. Something that even some of the most knowledgeable sports fans do not realize is that a team has the option of designating a Franchise player with one of two tags: "Exclusive" or "Non-Exclusive".

Any Club that designates a Franchise Player as "Exclusive" shall be the only Club with which that Franchise Player may negotiate or sign a contract. In order to designate an UFA or RFA as an Exclusive Franchise Player, the team must tender the player a one year contract that is the minimum of the average of the five largest salaries (as calculated at the end of the free agency signing period) for players at the position at which he played the most games during the prior year, or 120% of his prior year salary, whichever is greater.

If the team elects to name the player "non-exclusive" then the player shall be permitted to negotiate a contract with any Club as if he were an UFA; however, Draft Choice Compensation of TWO first round draft selections shall be awarded to the prior club in the event that he signs with the new club. For Non-Exlusive Franchise Players, the team must tender the player a one year contract that is the minimum of the average of the five largest PRIOR-YEAR salaries for players at the position at which he played the most games in the prior year, or 120% of his prior year salary, whichever is greater.

If the player elects to play with the prior club (the team that designated him with the Franchise tag) and does not negotiate another contract with that team, then the one year salary is guaranteed. Also, if the prior club elects to withdraw the qualifying offer, the player becomes an UFA.

* So than you don't think there may be more players tagged than normal?

Well, the Top 51 Rule isn't exactly brand new, so that's constant across the league that just gets canceled out (more or less - most teams have around 60-70 players right now).

The generally increased cap space across the teams is a function of the salary cap taking another big jump.

Here Digger, this is reality and you need to read it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2338398&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Abraham was not exclusive tendered. He shopped himself around and while no suitor was willing to give up two firsts for him, he found two willing to sign him to a long term deal to his liking which the JETS had no desire to match. No offer sheets were signed, just verbal discussions which he took back to the JETS. The JETS liked Seattle because they would offer a first and Atlanta was only looking to part with a second. But John decided he wanted Atlanta and said he wouldn't sign if traded to Seattle. So the dance was on and after several days Atlanta brought Denver into the deal and traded some picks to give them a lower first they were comfortable trading to NY. The deal was done for 1 first round pick.

Mo I agree 100%. I don't think i disagreed with DaB, if I did i misunderstood his point.

The point is so many here are going to try to assume we will get an auto 2 first rounders if we trade Asante. That is no way close to true.

With that said, Asante will need direct permission to negotiate with other teams on the exclusive (normal) tag, or the Pats will handle trades themselves. The agent can do it automatically with the non-exclusive.

I am 99% sure that it is an exclusive tag. The 1% is laughing because BB wants to make a point. :D

I am 99% sure its the non exclusive tag. One reason is that the exclusive tag numbers don't come out until April 14th and I can guarantee that they will be significantly higher than the 7.79 million that is currently the non-exclusive number.

Reiss has more:

February 16, 2007
Samuel reaction
The agent for Asante Samuel said his client is not upset about the Patriots placing the franchise tag on him.

"We don't look at it as a bad thing," Alonzo Shavers said on Friday night. "This is a step in the process in working toward a long-term deal."

Asked if Samuel would hold out, Shavers said: "That is not our intention at all."

THIS is the best news. I honestly beleive that Asante and the Pats will come to a mutually beneficial agreement.

Clayton should talk to his teamate Lenny P. Teams can't officially sign him to an offer sheet without the Pats getting the two firsts. But they can certainly tell him what they would be willing to pay him if the draft compensation was something less. Then he tells the Pats I can do much better than the deal you are offering so I've decided that if you don't accommodate me I will probably not sign my tag and have to hold out. At that point the Pat's have a decision to make - if they haven't already. They can refuse to play ball with Asante, and he may hold out or at least skip the off season and pre season, or they can say OK, lets talk - what are your suitors willing to trade for you...

When the Pat's tagged Tebucky it wasn't to keep him, it was to pawn him off on some other sucker willing to overpay - as NO did - for the priviledge and snag themselves something of value for him in the process. Perhaps the Pats are still hoping to sign Asante and hoping what he hears around the league is less enticing than he and his agent imagine. But I doubt it. I think their plan is to try to sign him and, failing that, to move him for the best compensation available offer.

I would think it would be a non-exclusive tag. I'm sure 100% of BB would invite 2 first rounders.

Plus the 120% of non-exclusive is based on last year and not this year.

Why wouldn't BB not want two first rounders? No way a team is going to give that up, they'll negotitate a trade first.

People need to stop and realize that the 2 1st round picks is the compensation ONLY if the 2 teams can not come to a mutual agreement on what the compensation will be AND the player has actually signed the contract. In this day and age, teams don't do that anymore. They won't even sign the player to the contract without the compensation being agreed to prior. That is what happened with Tebucky Jones. He signed his deal with the Saints and the Pats got the 3 picks.

The Pats won't get 2 1st round picks for Samuel. In fact, it looks like the team and his agent are moving things in the right direction and they want to get a long term deal done.

THIS is the best news. I honestly beleive that Asante and the Pats will come to a mutually beneficial agreement.

Yup, it just may not include his remaining here. ;)

I think everyone pretty much knew that Samuel would be franchised. The key now is either signing him to a long-term contract or trading him for a 1st.

After leaving your team's top offensive weapon, an in-his-prime Tom Brady, without top receiving weapons in the '06-'07 season, look for the Patriots to go "NY Yankees play-for-this- year" style in 2007, as Brady creaps towards age 30. Watch-em franchise Samuel, then Samuel to howl and threaten to sit-out, then watch as Samuel shows up relunctantly very late (Sept.), and the Pats to worry about the 2007-2008 season only. Then franchise him again in 2008.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye