PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver for 2011 4th - Broncos get 2011 6 [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver for 2011 4th - Broncos get 2011 6 [mer

No kidding. According to these people, if I buy a car for $50K, drive it for 5 years, then sell it for $30K, that means I got hosed in the deal

Well in Maroney's case, it would be more like driving it for 2.5 years since it was in the garage the other half of the time. :p

Re: Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver for 2011 4th - Broncos get 2011 6 [mer

He was a disappointement his entire time with us. No hard feelings, LoMo, but also I can't say I'll miss you. So much hope and potential unrealized.

Best of luck with the Broncos.

We the "great national debate" over Lawrence Moroney is finally over.....thank God. I was a supporter, who still wonders how a guy who fumbles 4 times in 5 seasons can be labeled a "fumbler"

Actually I'll tell you how. In his first three seasons with the Patriots ( 2006-08) he had one fumble in 434 touches if you include rushes, returns and reception. 1/434.
Last year in 2009, he had 4 fumbles in 236 touches. That's 1/59.

I still like the guy. I hope he does well in Denver.

Considering Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes was traded for a 5th round pick, this is a great deal.

Well this sucks. I always liked maroney and didn't think he was as bad as so many here thought, defintiely not enough to bash the guy like he was. Oh well...

Actually I'll tell you how. In his first three seasons with the Patriots ( 2006-08) he had one fumble in 434 touches if you include rushes, returns and reception. 1/434.
Last year in 2009, he had 4 fumbles in 236 touches. That's 1/59.

Hey if you wait until the next fumble and cancel out all past carries, he'd be fumbling 1/1 :eek:

Considering Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes was traded for a 5th round pick, this is a great deal.

Choked on my Coca Cola on that one. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maroney will go on to have a good career and maybe great. I don't like that we traded him one bit. We now are relying on old man Taylor, and if he goes down then old man Morris is no.2 presumably. Thats two guys who couldn't stay fit last year. So either Chris Taylor or somebody else has to come into the squad. I just don't get this trade at all.

I am sorry if this has already been spoken about but I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to who they will replace Maroney with on the roster before sunday.

I am sorry if this has already been spoken about but I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to who they will replace Maroney with on the roster before sunday.

Hard to say at this point, but most people seem to think that it'll mean re-signing Murrell. But then again, this is Belichick that we're talking about, it's almost guaranteed that every guess will be wrong :p

Last edited:
Re: Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver [merged]

Like flies........

Crazy, isn't it? I don't understand why it works so well, but I enjoy the board so much more when they identify themselves so readily...

The Maroney bashing is a bit unfair... he's not a top tier RB but a career 4.2 YPC is something many teams would be happy to have

See, the YPC has never been such a huge deal for me as it is for others. Maroney has never taken a a full lead back 300+ touch a year season, so his YPC really should be higher.

Something happened to Maroneys burst at some point. Look at the numbers for long runs. His first season, he had 7+ runs of 20+ yards, and 1 of 40+. The next 2 seasons he saw a decent amount of action, he had a combined 4+ runs of 20+ yards, and 3 plays of 40+ yards, but those 40+ yard runs were plays that split like the red sea.

As good as this offense has been over the last few years, you would expect more big plays out the run, with the D so focused on the pass.

Just watching him play in 06, his first carry is a zig zag run against the bills, looks like a different guy, I wonder what happened

Hard to say at this point, but most people seem to think that it'll mean re-signing Murrell. But then again, this is Belichick that we're talking about, it's almost guaranteed that every guess will be wrong :p

I don't think that this trade was made without a lot of thought, e.g., it was spurious. So knowing they were going to trade Maroney or cut him at some point, I don't think they would have cut Murrell just to get the roster to size.

But then again they may resign Murrell because now his salary is not guaranteed for the entire season.

But I think the likelihood is that someone will be promoted from the PS, and that spot is replaced with a RB.

2. This is a great trade for Denver. They have a better run blocking O-Line than we do. Maroney should do well as their #2 option.

I think he will ... except for the injuries he ran better before we switched to zone blocking. Denver uses a power blocking scheme ... I guess we'll see.

i hope he does well ... just not to well that it bites us.

I wish I could write a script that would automatically relegate any poster who uses the term "SloMo" to my ignore list.

You probably have the biggest ignore list here ... but that's the kind of guy you are.

Just watching him play in 06, his first carry is a zig zag run against the bills, looks like a different guy, I wonder what happened

Injuries and loss of confidence. I just don't think he has the vision and instincts to succeed at the NFL level. The dancing is just a symptom of his indecisiveness. And when he doesn't 'dance' he runs right into the back of his blockers which is another symptom that points to lack of vision and instinct.

Well.....finally it seems the only one who matters, Bill Bellicheck has chimed in on the infamous Maroney debate that is an annual rite of passage on these boards.

You probably have the biggest ignore list here ... but that's the kind of guy you are.

Mine has 32 people on it, can anyone beat that? :p

No Mo Lo Mo

Good luck Lawrence!

Color me quite surprised. A bit concerned about the age & miles on our RBs.
Given the event it tells me there was an attitude or locker room issue. BB is seemingly cleaning house of the guys who pissed in the pool the last 2 seasons.

0 on ignore here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand