PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver for 2011 4th - Broncos get 2011 6 [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver for 2011 4th - Broncos get 2011 6 [mer

I like Maroney, but a fourth rounder for a guy in the last year of his contract is pretty good compensation. The Pats have a good track record with 4th round picks.

Re: Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver for 2011 4th - Broncos get 2011 6 [mer

That's a long ass last name. Unless, I make my own with just "Gronk" on the back. :rocker:

Long name, get your moneys worth ;)

MOSS - 4 letters = $62.50 per letter.

GRONKOWSKI - 10 letters = $25 per letter.

Well i hope he does well

Hopefully for him he is motivated enough not to blow his wad this time.

I like Maroney, but a fourth rounder for a guy in the last year of his contract is pretty good compensation. The Pats have a good track record with 4th round picks.

I am surprised we got that much for him!

Re: Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver [merged]

Ummm.....He wasn't cut, but traded. No, he didn't live up to his potential, but he was a solid back, and the second best on our roster. Hope we get a player who can help us, but more likely it's a conditional 5th or something of that nature.

Ummm..... I never said he was cut. What else you got?

So I guess we'll be looking for a running back of the future in the next draft or two. Mark Ingram, DeMarco Murray? OK, I'll stop.

Don't have time to read back and see if someone else posted this, but Rapoport thinks this might open the door for Murrell to return.

Ian R. Rapoport (RapSheet) on Twitter

Oh - -the thought came from one of his readers; either way, makes sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if he put it all together in Denver. It wasn't going to happen here.

Oh well. At least there will be a couple dozen less Maroney threads each month.

You are kidding yourself if you don't think people here will overreact and second-guess the trade after every good play Maroney makes.

2010: Hernandez
2009: Ohrnberger
2008: Wilhite
2007: K. Brown
2006: Mills, Gostowski
2005: Sanders
2004: Reid, Cobbs
2003: Klecko, Samuel
2002: Davey, J. Green
2001: Jones, Holloway
2000: Randall

Not bad. Hernandez, Gost, Sanders, Samuel, and Jarvis Green seem to be the best of the group.

I am surprised we got that much for him!

Me too, also excited to see what he can do in Denver. If McDaniels get creative, we might start seeing some really good things from him. Not a fan of our RB depth right now, though.

Last edited:

So I guess we'll be looking for a running back of the future in the next draft or two. Mark Ingram, DeMarco Murray? OK, I'll stop.

Breer mentioned early in ore-season he thought the Pats would retool the RB position next year the same way they did TE this year. Sounds good to me.

2010: Hernandez
2009: Ohrnberger
2008: Wilhite
2007: K. Brown
2006: Mills, Gostowski
2005: Sanders
2004: Reid, Cobbs
2003: Klecko, Samuel
2002: Davey, J. Green
2001: Jones, Holloway
2000: Randall

Not bad. Hernandez, Gost, Sanders, Samuel, and Jarvis Green seem to be the best of the group.

Not bad? Green, Samuel, Sanders, Gost, Wilhite and Hernandez all in the 4th round is pretty phenomenal, imo. That's two multiple-time All Pros, two solid starter-caliber players, quality depth in Wilhite, and who even knows yet in Hernandez. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we draft a RB with the pick; that's where I like seeing RBs taken. As much as I liked Maroney, he was the perfect example of why I don't generally like using first rounders on RBs.

Last edited:

Breer mentioned early in ore-season he thought the Pats would retool the RB position next year the same way they did TE this year. Sounds good to me.

Sign a vet, draft a couple kids in rounds 2 - 4, sounds about right to me. I'm against drafting RB's high in the first round as a general rule. Much rather spend those picks in the trenches.

He has a chance to do better in the Broncos power based scheme.

He struggled with our zone blocking scheme.

Is Denver's line that much bigger than ours that it will help Maroney in a power based system?

You are kidding yourself if you don't think people here will overreact and second-guess the trade after every good play Maroney makes.

You are kidding yourself if you think Maroney is going to miraculously pull it all together after all these years of mediocrity. BB is a realist. That's why he got rid of Maroney and picked up a semi-useful pick in the process. BB also got rid of Hobbs. If you watched the Eagles game in week 1 you'd notice Hobbs getting burned as usual. BB knows when to cut his losses.

Maroney is gone. He was never good. He was never better than mediocre. Get OVER IT. Whoever we draft in 2011 will likely be 2-10x better.

Last edited:

Looks to me like Fred Taylor could be getting A LOT of carries,Belichick looks as impressed of Taylor's play so far like he was with Dillon in 2004 - I don't see Taylor with anything near 1,600 yards however

I normally read an entire thread before posting in it, but I think I'll pass on it this time:

Bad trade. Let's hope Taylor stays healthy.

Last edited:

Not bad? Green, Samuel, Sanders, Gost, Wilhite and Hernandez all in the 4th round is pretty phenomenal, imo.

It's above average I believe, but I want to see Wilhite take the next step (thought he played pretty well in week one) before I include him, and early returns on Hernandez are great but he's had one game and one catch so far to truly evaluate.

Wouldn't surprise me. Taylor could retire, Morris could play one more year or so with another team, Green-Ellis might go if he doesn't show anything, and I expect Faulk to stay around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes