PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scalavino: BB will not name DC (or OC), will work closer with D

Status
Not open for further replies.
err...yeah.....since not having a coordinator worked so great for the offense last year, not having a DC should put the defense somewhere between 25th and 30th in the league

Idk why everyone is complaining about this move(or lack of move).

BB>Pees

Therefore, the defense will be an upgrade over last year's.

And O'Brien didn't win the OC job, which means Bill is giving him another shot to see what he can do with a hopefully healthy offense and a sharper Brady, all while giving him added supervision from Fears and Ferentz.

::sips kool aid::

Now I'm done.

Well this is the first step of the most dissapointing offseason in the Belichick era... I just want to see what is going to be done.. .Bill O Brien running the offense again and no defesne cordinator... 2000 here we come... Sorry but the offensive scheme needs to change and the d needs a d coordinator...

You guys do realize that we will have an OC and DC, just not in name right? O'Brien will effectively be the offensive coordinator (aka play caller) and Patricia will likely be the DC while learning from Belichick. I have no problem with O'Brien calling the plays again so long as he changes things up more than he did last season. I do NOT want to see the Kevin Faulk draw play run 25-30 times a game again.

This is actually very amusing
... I can see a few members here bitting their fingers, punching keyboards and walls.

Who will they blame now ... :rofl:

Our head coach ... he needs to read the board here more often. :idea2:

Last edited:
By not naming O'Brien the OC you are saying that he was either not calling the plays last year or that he didn't do a good enough job to get promoted. Either way the Pats are not improving from last year. For all that was said about McDainels as OC in his first year, at least he did get the title after one year.

... I can see a few members here bitting their fingers, punching keyboards and walls.

Well Belichick now has set himself up for failure or success... Plain and Simple

Well Belichick now has set himself up for failure or success... Plain and Simple

Well ... he has been down both of those familiar roads before ...

Bill Belichick ... High Plains Drifter hell bent on vengeance ... his way.

Last edited:
Idk why everyone is complaining about this move(or lack of move).

BB>Pees

Therefore, the defense will be an upgrade over last year's.

And O'Brien didn't win the OC job, which means Bill is giving him another shot to see what he can do with a hopefully healthy offense and a sharper Brady, all while giving him added supervision from Fears and Ferentz.

::sips kool aid::

Now I'm done.

so maybe BB will fill out his coaching staff by the time brady retires

the problem with your notion that BB>Pees is who is going to do the work that BB was doing.....you know, like running the offense and wasting time outs and getting delay of game calls.

its not that BB is better at DC which I have no doubt he is......but there is more work on a football team than one qualified guy can do

Our head coach ... he needs to read the board here more often. :idea2:

I never thought of it that way. There'll be some convoluted logical somersaults trying to deflect blame now.:D

Seriously, if he's going to get under the hood on the D and then see who he wants to promote among Brown and the other candidates, I think that's fine, he is about the finest defensive mind going.

Lets just admit it already...BB is the OC, DC, GM, HC, QB, RB, LB, CB, everything...its just sad how his arrogance has destroyed this franchise.

AKA:
Bill is sick and tired of other teams raiding his assistants because of success, so he will make it hard for you to know who is doing what, and he will control most of it.

Losing talent after you spend years grooming it has hurt this team, I personally think Bill is giving them all the finger, saying " FU, GFY losers!!! train your own talent if you CAN, I'm not letting ANYONE say who-is-what ever again".

Whether it actually works well enough to get them a Championship with these unknown helpers is the question that worries me.

Last edited:
Lets just admit it already...BB is the OC, DC, GM, HC, QB, RB, LB, CB, everything...its just sad how his arrogance has destroyed this franchise.

Lady Luck just loved us in 2001 - 2003 - 2004 ...

Or maybe it was because we were named the "Patriots".

Take your pick.

LOL It could be worse, imagine attempting this if Drew were still the franchise...

Unless Belichick can identify a better candidate for DC than BB, why muddy the waters. He obviously doesn't believe Pepper or Patricia is ready for that title. Bill had to earn it over years in the league. All the DC here has ever done is implement Bill's scheme and philosophy and game plans. Now we will be back to defenders dealing with a DC with 5 rings.

Give Brady 4-5 legit weapons on offense and this offense won't need much coordination...kinda like in Indy.

LOL It could be worse, imagine attempting this if Drew were still the franchise...

Unless Belichick can identify a better candidate for DC than BB, why muddy the waters. He obviously doesn't believe Pepper or Patricia is ready for that title. Bill had to earn it over years in the league. All the DC here has ever done is implement Bill's scheme and philosophy and game plans. Now we will be back to defenders dealing with a DC with 5 rings.

Give Brady 4-5 legit weapons on offense and this offense won't need much coordination...kinda like in Indy.

When I heard the whiny voice (noise ??) of Ron Bogus I switched stations. But in essence if Brady is his own OC like Manning, that may not be a bad idea, after all he can certainly be better than a rookie OC

Given the depths of the hole this team came from prior to Parcells (1-15) and the fact that BB has gotten the team 3 Super Bowl titles, 4 Super Bowl appearances, 5 AFCCG appearances and a w/l tie (or better) for the division title every year since 2001, I'm willing to bet that somewhere between 28-31 other teams in the NFL would like to be equally "destroyed".

Going over-the-top in panic is just as bad as being over-the-top in the other direction.

I really like hearing Belichick say he will be more involved. I think it's exactly what this young defense needs. So far the Pats have done two things I wanted them to do:
1. parting ways with Pees
2. BB saying he will be more involved in defensive gameplanning and playcalling.

The Pats have a good size personnel dept, larger than most in the league:

Senior Football Advisor – Floyd Reese
Director of Player Personnel – Nick Caserio
Director of College Scouting – Jon Robinson
Director of Pro Personnel – Jason Licht
Assistant Director of Pro Personnel – Bob Quinn
Football Research Director – Ernie Adams

...and the coaching staff is pretty similar in size to most other teams in terms of numbers. There are enough very good coaches and one future HOF coach in Foxboro to get the job done. Just because most people and media members don't know the names and because there's no official OC or a DC doesn't mean that the Patriots coaching staff won't do an excellent job in 2010.

HC – Bill Belichick

Offensive Coaches
Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line – Dante Scarnecchia
Quarterbacks – Bill O'Brien
Running Backs – Ivan Fears
Wide Receivers – Chad O'Shea
Tight Ends – Vacant
Offensive Coaching Assistant – Brian Ferentz

Defensive Coaches
Defensive Line – Pepper Johnson
Linebackers – Matt Patricia
Defensive Backs – Josh Boyer
Defensive Coach – Corwin Brown
Defensive Coaching Assistant – Patrick Graham

Special Teams Coaches
Special Teams – Scott O'Brien
Special Teams Coaching Assistant – Brian Flores

Strength and Conditioning
Strength and Conditioning – Mike Woicik
Assistant Strength and Conditioning – Harold Nash

AKA:
Bill is sick and tired of other teams raiding his assistants because of success, so he will make it hard for you to know who is doing what, and he will control most of it.

Losing talent after you spend years grooming it has hurt this team, I personally think Bill is giving them all the finger, saying " FU, GFY losers!!! train your own talent if you CAN, I'm not letting ANYONE say who-is-what ever again".

Whether it actually works well enough to get them a Championship with these unknown helpers is the question that worries me.

There's likely some truth to this. Or he doesn't deem it necessary to go out and spend on a defensive coordinator when he can assume a lot of the responsibilities himself. Whether or not he's right is for him to live with. I would've liked for him to take on less responsibilities and not more. But I guess this is Belichick's way of being accountable. He'll take most of the blame if there's any blame to take for the defensive woes next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe