PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scalavino: BB will not name DC (or OC), will work closer with D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Scalavino: BB will not name DC, will work closer with D

I know what your talking about but he had problems with the offense. I didn't read the article so I didn't know BB praised O'Brien. I'm sure Maverick4 is pissed off.
I'm waiting for him to defect to the Jest.

H'mmm, Reiss' speculation on TE's coach is looking solid. Is Pat Graham the Defensive Assistant?

Yes (well, Coaching Assistant -- I have a feeling Brown might get the higher title of Defensive Assistant, like O'Brien as Offensive Assistant in 2007).

I thought Reiss was spot on when he said Ferentz had the inside track to TE coach this morning. This afternoon's developments seem to further back up that theory.

I also wouldn't discount Caserio's continued role in the offense.

Last edited:
That is bad news for the offense next year. But then again, I thought McDaniels was terrible after his first year.

Don't kid yourself, you'd still be trying to argue he was terrible if he didn't get a head coaching job.

So the Patriots basically announced what we were expecting.

Again, we hit a gold mine with McDaniels taking this approach. Yeah, I know the line anyone could have done what McDaniels did with that 2007 offense, but he got more out of a Brady-less Patriots offense last year than Weis got in 2003 with Brady.

I do not like that Belichick will be spending more time with the defense, but overall I am not worried. It is more the system than the coordinators. The Pats were one dropped INT from going 19-0 without either Charlie or Romeo.

That is bad news for the offense next year. But then again, I thought McDaniels was terrible after his first year.

O'Brien was at a disadvantage due to the remarkably bad depth at wide receiver that arouse during the course of the season. That said, I don't know how anyone could watch the Ravens game and think O'Brien, Belichick & Brady had the right game plan going into it. There were times when the offense was absurdly predictable and stale. When I can sit down, watch a game, and literally know what the play will be and where the ball is going based on what personnel is in the game, then there's a problem, b/c I do not know THAT much about football...

And I do think any conversation about the lack of creativity needs to include Belichick and Brady. These guys are just as important to game planning as O'Brien.

So the Patriots basically announced what we were expecting.

Again, we hit a gold mine with McDaniels taking this approach. Yeah, I know the line anyone could have done what McDaniels did with that 2007 offense, but he got more out of a Brady-less Patriots offense last year than Weis got in 2003 with Brady.

I do not like that Belichick will be spending more time with the defense, but overall I am not worried. It is more the system than the coordinators. The Pats were one dropped INT from going 19-0 without either Charlie or Romeo.

Wait - so you're saying that if the Pats named McDaniels OC sooner he would have done worse?

Doesn't that go against the whole idea that titles don't matter?

Last edited:
Wait - so you're saying that if the Pats named McDaniels OC sooner he would have done worse?

Doesn't that go against the whole idea that titles don't matter?

The OC title was irrelevant for McDaniels' progress. He was calling plays in 2005 and was generally recognized as doing a great job of it. I was just countering the McDaniels haters argument that anyone could have done what McDaniels did with the 2007 offense.

maybe they didnt name obrien as OC because someone else will call plays this season. who knows. all this is so overblown. Mike patricia or pepper j will be D coords , just like josh and bill ob were. everyone is jumping ship lilke BB is going to call plays evertwhere....:mad:

Brady coming off a devastating knee injury.

Multiple injuries to the running backs and offensive line.

Very little depth at WR, and injuries amongst the top two.

Playing some of the toughest pass defenses in the NFL.

6th in points scored.

Clearly Bill O'Brien sucked as an OC :rolleyes:

If Belichick does not feel that the offensive coaching staff is the problem, then he must have plans to upgrade the receiving corps, backfield and possibly the OL ..... Something needs to change.

once again. obrien was praised. doesnt mean he will callplays next season.maybe they switched to another young guy who knows...

If BB says he is going to be more involved with the D, I would bet, since he is putting his name on it that way, he will do what it takes to make it work. I believe, whether through the draft or FA or scheme change, the D will be more effective next year with BB's signature on it.

He obviously thought Boyer was ineffective as the DB coach and replaced Boyer with Corwin Brown. Very encouraging. Yeah, my glass is half full!

:eat1:

I think this is fantastic news.

No excuses this year. We'll finally be able to see pure and simple if BB is a "mastermind" or just a regular guy.

I do hope we get a good OC though.

I was critical of the coaching throughout the season, but I think the offensive playcalling got slightly better towards the end of the year. The Ravens game was just poor execution IMO.

Still not sure how much a legit OC would help though. Certainly wouldn't hurt.

I suspect BB was completely embarrassed by how the defense ran last year, and blames himself for letting Pees run with it.

This is his way of attempting to redeem himself.

I always love situations where someone is trying to make up for the past -- they're quite often successful when driven.

Brady coming off a devastating knee injury.

Multiple injuries to the running backs and offensive line.

Very little depth at WR, and injuries amongst the top two.

Playing some of the toughest pass defenses in the NFL.

6th in points scored.

Clearly Bill O'Brien sucked as an OC :rolleyes:

This. Sure O'Brien's playcalling was meh, but we didnt have Welker for a few games (3). Moss injured. Third reciever being LOLSAMAIKEN. And a RB stable that had Taylor and Morris injured for the majority of the season. 'Fumbles Mo'roney had the starting job most of the time. Let's not throw him under the bus for what he did.

That old statement "when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade". That's what we got this year, really ***** lemonade without sugar that made us all cringe. But look at our WR depth and our RB depth, if that doesn't shoot up huge red flags then I don't know what will.

I'm not saying hes a brilliant OC, but there's very little he could do other than let Brady sit in shotgun and have him make plays. BB did 4&2 to put the game in the hands of his best player, Brady. I think its pretty apparent that's what the offensive playcalling was based on this year; giving the ball to your three best players on the team (Moss/Brady/Welker) and let them see what they can do.

Last edited:
I'm actually excited to see BB as the Defensive play-caller, which I'm assuming is now the case. Going back to his roots. I expect more creativity and consistency.

As far as the offense and O'Brien goes, I thought the play-calling was a little stale last year at times. However, with a year under his belt, more depth at WR, a capable TE, and a healthier Brady there should be improvement.

So it's Belichick Defensive coordinator, Brady Offensive coordinator.

Whatever plays "coach" O'Brien sends in the first half, it's bombs away with the hail Mary's second half just like last year.

Good or bad, really this was expected.

Kinda like.......I have this gut feeling Tebow will be a Patriot next year....

Last edited:
Bill Belichick's Cleveland Purgatory | Browns | The best Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes coverage on the web!

Belichick had no true offensive coordinator until 1994 (and even that year, the OC was a syncophant- running backs coach Steve Crosby). In Belichick's first three years in Cleveland, he ran the offense. Even then he occasionally displayed the now-familiar flair for the unexpected- for example, his '94 Browns are the first team to execute a two-point conversion in an NFL game. But his personnel decisions on offense were volcanic. His notable 'cuts' were on offense- Bernie Kosar, Reggie Langhorne, etc. His most controversial coaching maneuvers primarily affected the offense- and it was the offense that provided the heaviest anchor on the club's fortunes, finishing no higher than 18th in total yardage during Belichick’s five-year reign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back