PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SB 42 is on now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't watched a single replay of a single play of that game before today (and, since I live in NYC, this means I've changed the channel many times in the past year) and I'm not going to start now. It was what it was. I might get over it in another year or two.

Um, they aren't handing out 2 trophies today. Even if the Steelers win 100-0 tonight, we'll still be up on them 3-2.

Reading skills ROCK!

"having a chance to tie our championships, in this decade" - Still a chance for them to tie us in this decade.

And I think history will favor the Steelers if we tie. No Tuck Rule, No Spygate, No super bowl loss, and the Steelers have a much larger fan base, and they had a long winning streak as well...

However, The next best thing to the Pats not being in the Super Bowl, is hoping the Cards win by 40 tonight.

I watched it off and on. All it did was confirm my belief in what a horrid game the OL had. Matt Light's false starts, Russ Hochstein's turnstile effort on the sack in the closing seconds, Nick Kaczur making Max Lane look like a HOF'er, yick. Brady had no chance to lead us to a victory, neither did Laurence Maroney (remember him?). The defense was decent until that last drive, with Samuel's near pick, Tyree's lucky catch and Hobbs getting burned on the final TD vivid nightmares for all.

Too bad we cannot be back to try again, especially since we were two wins better than one of the combattants (which we beat by 40 points in the regular season).

Bob G

I watched it off and on. All it did was confirm my belief in what a horrid game the OL had. Matt Light's false starts, Russ Hochstein's turnstile effort on the sack in the closing seconds, Nick Kaczur making Max Lane look like a HOF'er, yick. Brady had no chance to lead us to a victory, neither did Laurence Maroney (remember him?). The defense was decent until that last drive, with Samuel's near pick, Tyree's lucky catch and Hobbs getting burned on the final TD vivid nightmares for all.

Too bad we cannot be back to try again, especially since we were two wins better than one of the combattants (which we beat by 40 points in the regular season).

Bob G

yeah, you can't win 18 and a row and not be tired. BB should have rested some of his guys down the stretch. by that i don't mean to give them the entire Sunday off but at least give them more rest during the game. there was really no need to play everyone for 4 quarters in our blowout games as well.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. I'd rather have menstrual cramps 24/7 than watch a replay of that game.

As bad as you guys feel about seeing it on television, imagine having been there when it happened. I was. I'm still feeling the trauma.

I have forgotten Super Bowl 42 at least I'm trying to. I just watched three games to Glory 2 (2003 super bowl) and 3 (2004 super bowl). THIS TEAM NEEDS DEFENSE! Period...END OF STORY. Our defense used to be CLUTCH. What happened? Some Key players got old, some key players left AND WERE NOT REPLACED, and INJURIES have caught up to other key players. BB waited too long to rebuild/replace some of our key players on the defense. I like some of the players that he added last season, but WE NEED MORE. It brought tears to my eyes to see Ty Law back there picking off Manning 3 times in the 2003 AFC Championship Game. It warmed my heart to see Willie Mcginest making key sacks in those playoff games ESPECIALLY with the game on the line. What has happened to Vrabel? :( He was awesome in those playoffs, I guess that he is starting to lose a step too. THAT IS WHAT'S MISSING FROM OUR TEAM!! Offense is great, it's pretty to watch. But in a big game, YOU NEED YOUR DEFENSE TO BE DOMINANT. I have not seen that from our defense since 2004. :( It's not just the coaching, it's also the players that we've lost on defense that we haven't replaced. This has hurt our team over the last four years IMO. I am over Super Bowl 42. Yes the defense was alright, but it didn't make the plays that were necessary when the game was on the line.

I have a question regarding our O-Line. I noticed that when Charlie was here, he would move the pocket when we had protection problems. Did Mcdaniels try anything like that with our OL in that Super Bowl? Did he try to run any screen plays? I can't bring myself to watch that game again so any input would be appreciated. Charlie Weis called a heck of a game in the Super Bowl against the Eagles and Panthers. Say what you want about Charlie, but that man knew how to call plays...ESPECIALLY IN BIG GAMES.

Last edited:
I have a question regarding our O-Line. I noticed that when Charlie was here, he would move the pocket when we had protection problems. Did Mcdaniels try anything like that with our OL in that Super Bowl? Did he try to run any screen plays? I can't bring myself to watch that game again so any input would be appreciated. Charlie Weis called a heck of a game in the Super Bowl against the Eagles and Panthers. Say what you want about Charlie, but that man knew how to call plays...ESPECIALLY IN BIG GAMES.

I remember a few screen plays that got stuffed in SB42. And the run game could not get off the ground either. You bring up a good point about moving the pocket, it worked great against the Panthers vaunted D-line and on the very last drive of SB42 we used it on 3rd and 20 which alotted Brady lots of time to throw downfield, they just had great coverage. Wish that had been done more because that Giants secondary could not cover Welker if there was just any time at all to throw.

I remember a few screen plays that got stuffed in SB42. And the run game could not get off the ground either. You bring up a good point about moving the pocket, it worked great against the Panthers vaunted D-line and on the very last drive of SB42 we used it on 3rd and 20 which alotted Brady lots of time to throw downfield, they just had great coverage. Wish that had been done more because that Giants secondary could not cover Welker if there was just any time at all to throw.

Man, I wish that McD hadn't waited so long to use it. That might have made a difference earlier in the game. :(

Sigh, thanks for the info my friend.

Man, I wish that McD hadn't waited so long to use it. That might have made a difference earlier in the game. :(

Sigh, thanks for the info my friend.

NP, then again I've never been able to watch that game after it happened live so my memory may be failing me

Kudos to all you who have the courage to watch it. I can't even read this thread, you guys who've watched it a few times have my respect

even if the steelers win this year and next year, i would say we have the edge on them as the team of the decade because we have a 16-0 regular season, a 21 game winning streak and we've beaten pitt in every game that matters.

I get what your saying, but not for nothing.....if the Pats had beaten the Steelers this year in the regular season, the Patriots would not only be in the playoffs, but would be the number two seed. So I wouldn't say that game didn't count for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft