PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Samuel at Charity at golf tournament...

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO how does NOT attending a charity event have ANYTHING to do with leverage?? I think many saw Branch in a different light after that..and IF ANYTHING I think it showed how he didn't wish to be part of the team..more personal than anything business wise...and I think if it was to gain leverage, it showed how deep it all was. And HOW does not negotiating lead to the outcome of a contract??
I think it WAS deeply personal with him..and I also believe history will prove that to be correct..

It is a teams-sponsored events. When a player is unhappy with his contract he can express that by not taking part in team-sponsored events. That includes golf tournaments, OTAs, minicamps, etc. Seymour, Branch and Samuel have all done the same thing.

None of the players took in personally. They understand it is the business side of the deal. They have been through it enough.

I fail to see how Deion did anything personal against the organization. He may have said a few things in the press (or his agent did), but he also said he wanted to return as long as he got paid. It was just a contract squabble, nothing more. Sometimes guy say things in the press to add leverage in negotiations, sometimes they say things because they are frustrated. That makes them humen, nothing more.

The fact he recommended the team highly to Stallworth shows he holds no grudges. I don't either, and I wish him well.

I'm inclined to believe Holley because of his status as a former dreadlocker but the conflicting reports are confusing. Is it possible he is there but keeping a low profile and Reiss just didn't see him?

Who knows. Bru made a comment re AS's absence so...
On an up note,Troy Brown was there.

Yes..he did....which I think speaks volumes as to the possible outcome..

I hope Samuels and the Pats come to an agreement-we'll be a better team if that happens-but if it doesn't,it doesn't.
Technically he doesn't have to do anything offseason,but subjectively Sey's attendance at a charitable event sort of indicated an attitude of commitment to the team. Asante's shown nothing of this type of thinking,though obviously he doesn't have to.
I'd also assume he didn't attend the funeral either,but that's just an assumption.
We'll see what happens.:cool:

It is a teams-sponsored events. When a player is unhappy with his contract he can express that by not taking part in team-sponsored events. That includes golf tournaments, OTAs, minicamps, etc. Seymour, Branch and Samuel have all done the same thing.

None of the players took in personally.

Sorry, but Seymour played in the tournament the year he held out, he recognized that not attending a charity golf tournament because you are unhappy about how many millions you make looks pretty cheesy. Deion chose to worry about his millions instead of putting that aside for a day to raise money for charity, that made his stand a bit more personal, as it does Asante's.

None of the players took in personally. They understand it is the business side of the deal. They have been through it enough.

I fail to see how Deion did anything personal against the organization. He may have said a few things in the press (or his agent did), but he also said he wanted to return as long as he got paid. It was just a contract squabble, nothing more. Sometimes guy say things in the press to add leverage in negotiations, sometimes they say things because they are frustrated. That makes them humen, nothing more.

The fact he recommended the team highly to Stallworth shows he holds no grudges. I don't either, and I wish him well.
Firstly..if you wish to include charity events in that that is fine..but you have failed to explain why not attending a charity event in anyway gives a player LEVERAGE in ANY way. Secondly..get your facts straight...while Seymour did NOT attend the mini-camp or the start of tarining camp, he DID take part in the offseason workouts AND the charity golf event...I guess you are blind as to HOW Branch took this to a deeper level AGAINST the organization. I think his actions said a lot more than any words he said. No..Deion got what he wanted away from the Patriots..so once he got his barrel of money..there was no need to say anythig bad.

Last edited:
So, now the news that was good because it was not bad is now bad because it is not good that he is not there.....right?
Yes it is bad news. Why are some people so anxious to point out people being supposed hypocrites on good new vs. bad news. Jeez, grow up.

Pats offer long term deal.

AS does not sign. Complains about difference between Pats and other teams re: his value.

Pats offer tender.

AS does not sign. Does not show at mini camp or charity function.

The only leverage the Pats have now, is the game checks. But the more personal it becomes (and he has already expressed that he is unhappy), the less likely it is that AS will give up his big dream (Get Paid) for a game check.
At least BB will plan not to have him from day 1. Once CBs start going down during hte year, AS may see himself as gaining leverage.

Firstly..if you wish to include charity events in that that is fine..but you have failed to explain why not attending a charity event in anyway gives a player LEVERAGE in ANY way. Secondly..get your facts straight...while Seymour did NOT attend the mini-camp or the start of tarining camp, he DID take part in the offseason workouts AND the charity golf event...I guess you are blind as to HOW Branch took this to a deeper level AGAINST the organization. I think his actions said a lot more than any words he said. No..Deion got what he wanted away from the Patriots..so once he got his barrel of money..there was no need to say anythig bad.

First of all, I never said Seymour didn't attend. I merely stated that all 3 players chose to sit out team-related activities because of contract issues.

I fail to see how the situations are different. Seymour had 2 years left on his contract and was prepared to hold out. He only agreed to come in when they paid him more money, and then re-did his contract after the season (with a year left on the deal).

Branch stopped going to all team-related activities that weekend, and was prepared to hold out. He stuck to his guns and ended up getting traded.

Samuel actually technically isn't holding out of anything. He doesn't even have a contract. The Patriots hold his rights via a franchise tender, but there is not signed document that states he has to go to any team-related activity.

Just because a guy goes to a golf tournament doesn't mean his negotiation is any different. You just feel the need to vilify Deion because he got himself traded. So be it, if it makes you feel any better.

However, in each case it was a guy holding his services away because he wanted his contract terms addressed. It happens tons of times all the time, i t is part of the business of the game. These guys are professionals, they are getting paid to do a job and do it to the best of their ability. That is the whole story.

If you need a soap opera to keep yourself interested, than go ahead and create one.

The only leverage the Pats have now, is the game checks. But the more personal it becomes (and he has already expressed that he is unhappy), the less likely it is that AS will give up his big dream (Get Paid) for a game check.
At least BB will plan not to have him from day 1. Once CBs start going down during hte year, AS may see himself as gaining leverage.
I don't think this goes into the season. The Patriots have a data point with Branch that they didn't have 12 months ago. Worst case they can almost certainly get a #1 pick for him, ala Branch, as teams will devalue draft picks with a season to play. I think they'll be more aggressive about dealing him faster if they determine that they simply aren't going to get a long term deal done.

Sorry, but Seymour played in the tournament the year he held out, he recognized that not attending a charity golf tournament because you are unhappy about how many millions you make looks pretty cheesy. Deion chose to worry about his millions instead of putting that aside for a day to raise money for charity, that made his stand a bit more personal, as it does Asante's.
The one difference between DB/RS and AS is that Samuel technically is not part of the team as he has not signed the franchise tag....it's sort of a gray area. I feel less upset about his non-attendance than of DB's as he was under contract and Samuel is technically not. But I agree about Seymour's being there. It spoke volumes for his WANTING to be part of the team and that it was NOT personal and just business.

So which is it?

maybe Samuel just likes to play golf

So which is it?

I think if he showed up,that would be fairly newsworthy and I haven't seen or heard anything along those lines. In fact,ST was just discussing if he'll show up for camp,so it doesn't sound like he golfed today.

Last edited:
Didn't see Asante, but did see the cheerleaders this am, getting coffee at the local convenience store! Was thinking of you Nut!!

Didn't see Asante, but did see the cheerleaders this am, getting coffee at the local convenience store! Was thinking of you Nut!!

Tell me more - tell me more.:rocker:

Tell me more - tell me more.:rocker:

What can I say? Seeing is believing, besides which if you'd been there you might have needed some shock paddles and a bib! Obviously I would have preferred getting a glimpse of one of the GUYS instead!!!:p

First of all, I never said Seymour didn't attend. I merely stated that all 3 players chose to sit out team-related activities because of contract issues..
you are also putting all 3 in the same boat..while missing the differences in what they did as well as their situations and outcomes
I fail to see how the situations are different. Seymour had 2 years left on his contract and was prepared to hold out. He only agreed to come in when they paid him more money, and then re-did his contract after the season (with a year left on the deal). Branch stopped going to all team-related activities that weekend, and was prepared to hold out. He stuck to his guns and ended up getting traded.
I think one can see by what Seymour did in attending the charity event was that he wanted to be PART OF the team...while the Twig did not at all and frankly did not wish to be part of the team period.
Samuel actually technically isn't holding out of anything. He doesn't even have a contract. The Patriots hold his rights via a franchise tender, but there is not signed document that states he has to go to any team-related activity.
Agreed..which is why his no-show today is NOT the same at all.
Just because a guy goes to a golf tournament doesn't mean his negotiation is any different.
So then why did Seymour show up and Branch not?? OR are you missing the point that it was a Patriots fund raiser and that that is very important to the team and its players. Branch thumbing his nose at it was a very poor gesture and showed more what he was truly about while Seymour's being there spoke a bit more about where he truly wanted to be.
You just feel the need to vilify Deion because he got himself traded. So be it, if it makes you feel any better. .
If you wish to rewrite history be like the flat earth society..be my guest.
However, in each case it was a guy holding his services away because he wanted his contract terms addressed. It happens tons of times all the time, i t is part of the business of the game. These guys are professionals, they are getting paid to do a job and do it to the best of their ability. That is the whole story. .
If you believe that is the whole story, I feel you missed all of it totally. By the way, you do not think that Branch at all had any personal problem with the Patriots. You think he wished to play with the team do you not?? What action or actions did he take during those many months of negotiations that indicated he wanted to be a part of the team at all?
If he wanted to be with the Patriots why then did Branch and his agent fail to give the Patriots any counter offer for 3 to 4 months?? One would think if he wanted to be with the team he would have negotiated in good faith, but he failed to do that. If he wanted to be with the Patriots why would he wish to have the Patriots promise to NOT Franchse him?? In Franchising him, he would make top dollar and then some but would BE with the team. One would think he would WANT the money so that it was the other half of the equation
being with the Patriots that he did not wish for. If he wished to be with the team, why did he not report to camp and threaten to hold out during the season? Sorry..none of his actions in anyway point to his wishing to be with the team. Branch put himself in the situation with his actions. He was full of greed and the fact that he lied about what he would do only shows what a phony he is.

Holley should know better! :)

images

What! You mean Holley is now sporting dreadlocks! He used to be bald!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft