PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

S. Holmes to stay a Jet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halifax_Pats_Fan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Reports are he is gonna be in NY for 5 more years...

Last edited:
I read the same thing on the Jets board. They said 5-year deal as well, per Schefter.

Bring it on, I say!

Damn, was hoping the skins would steal him. Hopefully they can't afford Edwards too.

Well the delusion that "Don't worry, if the Jets get Asomugha, Sanchez will have to throw to Crotchery as #1, haha"

Damn.... at worst case Holmes and Cotchery isn't bad.

Last edited:
Good move for them assuming they aren't giving him $10 million a year. He bailed them out of a lot of games last year.

They still need a #2 WR. Cotchery sucked last year. They have zero depth too. But that was a good start for them.

Well the delusion that "Don't worry, if the Jets get Asomugha, Sanchez will have to throw to Crotchery as #1, haha"

Damn.... at worst case Holmes and Crotchery isn't bad.

Man....this isn't good. If they get Aso and Holmes......man, not good. Is Bill up and working? Waiting for our next move..

Any guesses for the per year amount?? He could have really held them to the fire and worked up the price (if him and his agent wanted to).

Damn.... at worst case Holmes and Crotchery isn't bad.

I don't know Cotchery has progressively declined over the last three years.

How good of a deal this is depends on how much they're paying him.
Without the March 11th dead money 'bailout' there's no way the Jets could have afforded to keep him.
Nice work commish! *wink* :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Any guesses for the per year amount?? He could have really held them to the fire and worked up the price (if him and his agent wanted to).

My guess is 5 years (we know it is 5 years) at $45 million with $20 million guaranteed. Making it $9 million a year. Just a guess though.

Andre Johnson got slightly over $10 million a year last year. Don't see Holmes making a heck of a lot less. I assume it will be about $1 million less a year.

Last edited:
Would anyone be shocked if they go and get Randy for cheap to play across Santonio?

From ESPN:

New York Jets agree to deal with Santonio Holmes, sources say - ESPN New York
The New York Jets addressed the No. 1 item on their free-agent list, coming to terms Wednesday morning with wide receiver Santonio Holmes, according to a league source.

The deal is for five years, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. By rule, Holmes isn't permitted to sign the contract until Friday.

Holmes' deal, believed to be in the $10 million-a-year range, is so big that it probably means they can't afford to re-sign Braylon Edwards, another high-profile free agent. Edwards is coming off a strong season, but the Jets prioritized Holmes because of his speed and game-changing ability.

Good move for them assuming they aren't giving him $10 million a year. He bailed them out of a lot of games last year.

They still need a #2 WR. Cotchery sucked last year. They have zero depth too. But that was a good start for them.

Agreed. Let's hope that Edwards departs.

Holmes' deal, believed to be in the $10 million-a-year range, is so big that it probably means they can't afford to re-sign Braylon Edwards, another high-profile free agent. Edwards is coming off a strong season, but the Jets prioritized Holmes because of his speed and game-changing ability.

:rofl: :rofl:

He is a clutch signing for them. He makes me very nervous if the jets are driving down the field. Not a big fan at all of his attitude. I think it pretty much sucks but his talent is undeniable.

It would be very interesting to be in the Jets facility to see what changes they are making to contracts. $ amounts..who knows, I'd also agree with the 8-9 mil range.

They want to compete and you have to give them credit for that. Just more reason to bring your A game to play against this team....the rivalry is great....

....10 m/yr....still not buying that one, that is a one very hefty price tag...

Last edited:
I was hoping the Redskins would sign Holmes, and that would force the Jets to overpay for Edwards, who is certainly an inferior reciever.

The fact that the deal is going to cost the Jets around 50 million makes it a little easier to swallow, but I still hate the Jets getting such a good player in his prime. This is crappy news for Pats fans.

Would anyone be shocked if they go and get Randy for cheap to play across Santonio?

I wouldn't be shocked by any means, like many of us, but the only problem I would have with signing him is whether or not he really "buys into their philosophy." Rex has been great for acquiring some talent by getting guys revved up and wanting to play for him. It's especially evident with the guys on defense, but even on offense there is a sort of attitude. With Randy, he's too old to be getting "pumped up" like the younger guys, and there aren't many guys his own age up there. And he's supposed to have the patience to run routes for someone who's ten years younger? And block a lot for the running game? Not the best fit imo, but Rex could bring him in for the same reason as Kevin O'Connell. And that isn't to say that they wouldn't get production out of him, but if he takes plays off, guys like Bart Scott may call him out and then there'd be hell.

I don't know Cotchery has progressively declined over the last three years.

He helped put a nail in the coffin in the pats season. (Although, some people on this board could have ran that route with 8 seconds to throw the damn ball)

EDIT: Hahahaha 10million a year, I feel a little better. What will Sidney Rice get now...

Last edited:
I'm starting a weed fund to send Holmes a congratulation gift. Please make contributions fast so we can get it to him in time for his next drug test. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back