PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

S. Holmes to stay a Jet

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats a lot of money.

Does this rule out Asomugha?

It doesn't matter how they star-stud the roster. They will choke anyway. They proved it last year for what, the 40th time?

Rob, looks like you were right if they get Nnamdi, they will have to cut their LB core now. :)

"10M per year" is meaningless.

What are the first 3 year numbers (24M is guaranteed, that's probably counting first year salary as well) and what is the cap hit this season. Those are the only relevant questions

That article is the only place I see $10M and they do use the word "believed" so I'm not sure it's anything beyond speculation.

I was hoping the Redskins would sign Holmes, and that would force the Jets to overpay for Edwards, who is certainly an inferior reciever.

The fact that the deal is going to cost the Jets around 50 million makes it a little easier to swallow, but I still hate the Jets getting such a good player in his prime. This is crappy news for Pats fans.

The Jets going into last season had tremendous value with their players. Guys like Revis, Mangold, Harris, and Holmes were getting paid on the cheap. But now they're all transitioning off their rookie contracts onto big-boy deals. That GM had tremendous value but now it's starting to wane. Players are all of a sudden being valued "correctly." Now they're struggling to maintain the team they had last year. Albeit, they did successfully get the extra fat that was once Gholston off the books, which offsets the value reduction.

Maybe Holmes takes it a little easier this year, pulling up on those crossing patterns over the middle, now that he has his big contract. Not that he'll go Albert Haynesworth, but he already got his big contract.

The Jets had 2 options here this entire time, either they sign Holmes and let most of the rest of their team walk or they sign some core parts of their team and make Edwards their #1.

10 million per year is the reported contract, that drys up all of their dead money which was freed up (yet we are still unable to get clarification on this). now if they went after aso they would need to restructure practically everyone and use every option available, leaving them in a huge hole for the next few years and also unable to sign the little pieces who will inevitably be forced to walk.

Overall the Jets Downgrade at WR and everywhere else and upgrade at Corner.

"10M per year" is meaningless.

What are the first 3 year numbers (24M is guaranteed, that's probably counting first year salary as well) and what is the cap hit this season. Those are the only relevant questions

First, the guaranteed money is calculated the same for every player. If Holmes is getting $24 million guaranteed, it is calculated the same as everyone else. Guranteed money typically does not factor in base salary whether it is year one or any other year.

Second, I do agree that the total contract MAY NOT mean anything. It is all how it is structured.

Third, even so, $24 million guaranteed is still a lot for Holmes.

This a significant signing for the Jets and any of you that laugh at the deal are just being defiant. If the Jets go on and sign Aso, they are clearly the favorites to win the East. Doesn't mean it will happen, but they will be the favorites, regardless of whether they have Edwards and regardless of Brady.

So, thinking ahead, assuming everyone is healthy and the Pats stay pat at WR, Revis on
Welker? Aso on Branch? The Pats would have no choice but to try to exploit the middle (safeties, lb's) with Gronk and Hernandez (thank G-D for them).

Should be a really cool season! I'm really looking forward to what schemery BB can come up with.

Last edited:
leaving them in a huge hole for the next few years and also unable to sign the little pieces who will inevitably be forced to walk.

Yeah this is what we thought last year. I'm sure the jets will have another "miracle" of money management by next year.

I'm starting a weed fund to send Holmes a congratulation gift. Please make contributions fast so we can get it to him in time for his next drug test. :)

Hah, I forgot about that. Isn't it a year's suspension if he gets in trouble again? He already got the four game suspension. That's the war on drugs :).

Yeah this is what we thought last year. I'm sure the jets will have another "miracle" of money management by next year.

The miracle of money management is really a miracle of health. The Jets have gotten by with very thin rosters three years in a row because they've had terrific health and terrific luck with their free agents and trades.

When you have a thin roster you gamble on good health and it's a gamble that's been working for htem.

I was hoping the Redskins would sign Holmes, and that would force the Jets to overpay for Edwards, who is certainly an inferior reciever.

The fact that the deal is going to cost the Jets around 50 million makes it a little easier to swallow, but I still hate the Jets getting such a good player in his prime. This is crappy news for Pats fans.
Good thing the Redskins didnt. 10mill a year for Holmes is ridiculous. The Jets just, by the net effect of what they cant get with that money, got worse, unless Holmes suddenly becomes Jerry Rice Jr.
Oh yeah, and with Holmes shaky off the field history when he gets handed the first 20 mill and throws his ceebration party, one flase step and he's up for a 1 year suspension.
Pitt was so tired of his off field disasters they gave him away for a 5th round pick. The Jets give him 50 mill. Yeah, we should be real worried about that Jet front office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing the Redskins didnt. 10mill a year for Holmes is ridiculous. The Jets just, by the net effect of what they cant get with that money, got worse, unless Holmes suddenly becomes Jerry Rice Jr.

huh?

this makes no sense

That article is the only place I see $10M and they do use the word "believed" so I'm not sure it's anything beyond speculation.

@AdamSchefter
Santonio Holmes early numbers: 5 years, $50 million, including $24 million guaranteed, thought to be highest guarantee given to a WR.

huh?

this makes no sense

I think he means that they had Holmes at a great value last year, and now that he costs a lot more, the Jets have essentially taken a step back. And just the simple fact that they probably overpaid him.

@AdamSchefter
Santonio Holmes early numbers: 5 years, $50 million, including $24 million guaranteed, thought to be highest guarantee given to a WR.

Half the contract guaranteed! I wonder what the cap effect is this year and if there's a bunch of backloaded crap at the end. I have a feeling it isn't backloaded. Holmes has the ability to hold them to the fire, and it looks like him and his agent did.

ByTimGraham Tim Graham
Great relief for Jets fans to re-sign Santonio Holmes. Best receiver in AFC East.

The miracle of money management is really a miracle of health. The Jets have gotten by with very thin rosters three years in a row because they've had terrific health and terrific luck with their free agents and trades.

When you have a thin roster you gamble on good health and it's a gamble that's been working for them.

Well, the implication there was that it is less than miraculous and more just plain suspicious, however you do make a fair point.

We should now have a few players added to our roster that might get a bit more physical with the jets than in the past (Solder, Dowling, Cannon, etc). Hopefully we pick up a couple more in FA. Maybe their lucky streak will run out this year and they will be forced to learn a hard lesson about depth.

Santonio is a pretty good receiver, and smart for the the Jets to keep him…but if all these Nnamdi rumors are true, then I’d count the Jets as Redskins-lite…you know, the team that thinks winning the offseason = Super Bowl. They have offense line problems, QB issues, and no pass rush. Be wary of all the SB talk if they sign Nnamdi, still do not know where they will get that money…still a long way to go in Jet land, particularly when your QB is average at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back