PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

S. Holmes to stay a Jet

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter how they star-stud the roster. They will choke anyway. They proved it last year for what, the 40th time?

Not a jets fan by any means, but how did they choke? They played against a better team, and lost.

michaelombardi Michael Lombardi
Jets main competition for Asomuga right now are the 49ers, they are in it strong...will be interesting to see how it plays out...

Well if thats their main competition then crap.

Jets main competition for Asomuga right now are the 49ers, they are in it strong...will be interesting to see how it plays out...

49ers will release Nate Clement for sure to free up a bunch of cap if they can get Aso. They'll easily offer a much more lucrative deal.

Rex will have to make a hard sell on the fact that they're going for the three-peat in offseason superbowls.

Don't other teams have to seriously spend just to get up to the floor? Where's the competition?

Last edited:
First, the guaranteed money is calculated the same for every player. If Holmes is getting $24 million guaranteed, it is calculated the same as everyone else. Guranteed money typically does not factor in base salary whether it is year one or any other year.

Second, I do agree that the total contract MAY NOT mean anything. It is all how it is structured.

Third, even so, $24 million guaranteed is still a lot for Holmes.

Rob - guaranteed money typically does include base salary - it is signing bonus plus any future guaranteed base salaries. If you guarantee the first year's salary, the first year's salary is included in the guaranteed money number.

Santonio is a pretty good receiver, and smart for the the Jets to keep him…but if all these Nnamdi rumors are true, then I’d count the Jets as Redskins-lite…you know, the team that thinks winning the offseason = Super Bowl. They have offense line problems, QB issues, and no pass rush. Be wary of all the SB talk if they sign Nnamdi, still do not know where they will get that money…still a long way to go in Jet land, particularly when your QB is average at best.

The Jets have offensive line problems? Their line is one of the best in the NFL, returns 4/5 starters, plus Wayne Hunter (who was very effective as a replacement for Woody last year) as Ducasse insurance. I wouldn't worry about the Jets' OL

if the jets who are hurting on the cap walk away with the 2 best Free agents in this years class i will be severely disappointed in these other limp-****ed GMs

That's fine with me by all means. Once again they are too top heavy, and are only one injury or two away from being mediocre.

This also restricts them to only so many schemes and formations.

We, on the other hand, especially on offense, can throw an infinite number of schemes and formations because our talent is spread very evenly.

Well if thats their main competition then crap.

Not really. It could force the Jets to spend $3-4 million a year, it isn't a horrible thing. The 49ers have a ton of money. The last number I saw, they are $20 million under the cap and they can free up like $5-6 million more by cutting Nate Clement (who would certainly be gone if they signed Asomugha.

Andy

I believe the comment was Aso vs Cromartie.
So they have 7 mill cap space, just spent it on 2 guys, have a ton of holes, and we are already giving them the 15 mill+/year player in our analysis?

The 49ers may have a little incentive to stick it to their neighboring rival. From Asomugha's perspective he doesn't have to move (or at least not far) if he signs with SF, for whatever that may be worth in terms of friends, endorsements, etc. I believe the 49ers are about $20 mil under the cap right now too.

Last edited:
I'm really worried they are going to get Nnamdi as well:
I thought they didn't have that much cap space, barely enough for Holmes, so how they go after Nnamdi as well?

Can someone please tell me how is this possible? (and what I mean by that is please tell me it's not possible!!!)

Sanchez restructured. Resigning Harris long term will also provide cap relief

The Jets have offensive line problems? Their line is one of the best in the NFL, returns 4/5 starters, plus Wayne Hunter (who was very effective as a replacement for Woody last year) as Ducasse insurance. I wouldn't worry about the Jets' OL
There line was ONE of the best 2 years ago, was not as good last year without Faneca and suffered another loss this year. And there is absoluelty no depth.

That's fine with me by all means. Once again they are too top heavy, and are only one injury or two away from being mediocre.

This also restricts them to only so many schemes and formations.

We, on the other hand, especially on offense, can throw an infinite number of schemes and formations because our talent is spread very evenly.

Also, is Holmes a strike away from a year suspension in the substance policy? It might be time for Kevin Faulk to invite him to a Lil Wayne concert.

Last edited:
There line was ONE of the best 2 years ago, was not as good last year without Faneca and suffered another loss this year. And there is absoluelty no depth.

Wow, that's a horrifically poor analysis. While Slauson started slow, by the end of the season he had more than adequately replaced Faneca. The only loss from the line last season is Damien Woody, and the depth - Rob Turner and Wayne Hunter - is excellent. The only question is whether Ducasse is ready to play at RT. If he is, the Jets line is in excellent shape. If not, the Jets' starters are still in excellent shape (Hunter is a damn good player) but depth would be a concern.

Even if the Jets get Aso, it remains to be seen who else they'll get from their outstanding free agents. My guess is that Santonio's cap hit will only be $6-7M this year, which pretty much takes care of their free cap space. Could probably make room for Aso by restructuring Sanchez, signing Harris long term, and using the $3M vet exemption on three of their vets. That still makes for $3M that they can borrow from next year, and there's always the guys that they're a pretty sure bet to cut (Tomlinson, maybe Bryan Thomas if they have to), but that will mostly just help them sign their rookies and maybe go replace Damien Woody.

Hopefully this means that we can take a shot at Shaun Ellis. I would really like to see him on the Pats.

Even if the Jets get Aso, it remains to be seen who else they'll get from their outstanding free agents. My guess is that Santonio's cap hit will only be $6-7M this year, which pretty much takes care of their free cap space. Could probably make room for Aso by restructuring Sanchez, signing Harris long term, and using the $3M vet exemption on three of their vets. That still makes for $3M that they can borrow from next year, and there's always the guys that they're a pretty sure bet to cut (Tomlinson, maybe Bryan Thomas if they have to), but that will mostly just help them sign their rookies and maybe go replace Damien Woody.

Hopefully this means that we can take a shot at Shaun Ellis. I would really like to see him on the Pats.

Already replaced Woody. Jets won't be signing more OL

This a significant signing for the Jets and any of you that laugh at the deal are just being defiant. If the Jets go on and sign Aso, they are clearly the favorites to win the East. Doesn't mean it will happen, but they will be the favorites, regardless of whether they have Edwards and regardless of Brady.

So, thinking ahead, assuming everyone is healthy and the Pats stay pat at WR, Revis on
Welker? Aso on Branch? The Pats would have no choice but to try to exploit the middle (safeties, lb's) with Gronk and Hernandez (thank G-D for them).

Should be a really cool season! I'm really looking forward to what schemery BB can come up with.

They are going to be very tough to beat if they pull that off without losing significant players. I think pats can win with this offense but if they don't improve on the d-line and olb(weather it be free agents,rookies,or other guys stepping their game up) the jets(baring injuries) will probably beat them in the playoffs again.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a horrifically poor analysis. While Slauson started slow, by the end of the season he had more than adequately replaced Faneca. The only loss from the line last season is Damien Woody, and the depth - Rob Turner and Wayne Hunter - is excellent. The only question is whether Ducasse is ready to play at RT. If he is, the Jets line is in excellent shape. If not, the Jets' starters are still in excellent shape (Hunter is a damn good player) but depth would be a concern.
Wayne Hutner is starting, because Ducasse isnt ready YET. Rob Turner, wow, I'm impressed.
More than adequately replaced Fancea? How were the rushing stats from 09 to 10?

Exactly. Brick and Mangold are great. Moore is 31 and coming off of an injury so I'm not sure he'll be where he was two years ago but he's very good. Slauson is garbage and Hunter is not particularly impressive at RT and not getting any better, so unless Ducasse is ready to take a leap they probably won't be as good as they were two years ago.

So they have 7 mill cap space, just spent it on 2 guys, have a ton of holes, and we are already giving them the 15 mill+/year player in our analysis?

Andy

My comment was solely to help clarify what the poster was saying.

I'm a "you can't have too many good CB's" guy. With Bodden and Rowling in for 2011, I would take our secondary. It's always better to have addition by addition.

What's amazing here is the hysteria that addition/subtraction is better than addition/addition. Two super paid CB's don't mean a great deal if 3/4/5 options can't be covered.

From Pete Prisco, who will soon be your favorite writer.

Jets go crazy for Holmes
Posted on: July 27, 2011 12:01 pm
Edited on: July 27, 2011 12:06 pm

Are the New York Jets crazy?

They give Santonio Holmes, a receiver who has had more than 55 catches just once in his career, is one failed drug test away from a possible year-long suspension by the league, a contract that will pay him $50 million with $24 million in guaranteed money.

That $24 million, if true, is the most ever for a receiver. What?

This guy hasn't finished in the top-10 in catches in a season yet in his career. The Steelers were so turned off by him that they traded him to the fifth-round pick last summer. The Steelers tied of his off-field issues, one of which led to a four-game suspension to start the 2010 season with the Jets.

Holmes is a nice player. And he has speed. Plus, Mark Sanchez loves him. But isn't that a lot of money for a risky player, who you wouldn't even consider a top-10 receiver in the NFL?

I can't imagine there was a great market for him -- which is why I always felt he would go back to the Jets --because of all the baggage. So somebody please explain the money to me.

Last time I checked, this wasn't Al Toon or Don Maynard we are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST