PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Wendell re-signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with your analysis, although I would put the draft need somewhat higher. I have thought that we needed a top interior lineman for the last five drafts.

I would note that Kline was an adequate backup last year at LG (when Mankins moved to LT). Barker was active as our backup center, rather than Cave.

I don't mind the Wendell signing at all.

If he ends up being a starter who plays a lot of reps, he has incentives that will allow him to be paid as such. If he's a 6th or 7th OL, then he'll get paid as a backup. He knows our system here and can step in if/when needed. Win/win.

Even though we'd all like to see improvement at the interior line position, we now have a bit of a luxury at the OL position--as opposed to a definite "need" that warrants addressing in the top 2-3 rounds.

Solder/Mankins/Wendell/Connelly/Vollmer/Cannon all make up a nice 6. Add in a guy like Svitek for the 7th position on a cheap deal, and we're set to be able to address our needs with DT, TE in the top 2-3 rounds.

A mid round draft pick for a rookie C/G would be just fine, and allow a nice competition for the rookie, Wendell, Connelly, Cannon, and even Cave for the top 2 interior starting positions.

If he ends up being a starter who plays a lot of reps, he has incentives that will allow him to be paid as such. If he's a 6th or 7th OL, then he'll get paid as a backup.

Unfortunately, this is not how the contract was originally reported.

We're awaiting what the deal really is.

But the 8+ Max over 2 contract had the illogical roster bonus which does not allow him to be paid like anything other than a top-end starter (should he make the roster).

As Miguel has pointed out, and as Yates has pointed out, this may be due to a clerical error on the NFLPA's part, and the deal might really be half that value.

I wasn't talking about BB, good grief, it's not going to become so simply because you say so.
Then you should read what you are responding to.

Are you serious? Joe Biden publicly said "we need to keep spending (record) money so we don't go broke", just because someone is in a high position doesn't mean they're correct.
Someone with knowledge and experience will be right a lot more than someone without. A single example of wrong does not have any relation to this point, unless you are claiming you are infallible.

The market was inflated by the Feds demanding that lenders expand their credit portfolios and backing those loans.
100% absolutely incorrect. The market was inflated by an increase in demand from subprime lenders loosening their credit guidelines because they were making money hand over fist and expanded to the point of making loans with little regard for ability to pay, and therefore, homeowners bought homes they could not afford. When they lost them, the market tanked.
"The Feds" had nothing to do with lenders expanding their credit portfolio. So much like "I wanted to draft someone else" you are Monday Morning QBing that you saw it coming when you don't even understand what happened.

Oh yes, you;re correct because you say you're correct, I get it.
No, I am correct because the facts say I am.

I can't throw a football more than 30yds, so I wouldnt be a better QB than him but I wouldnt have drafted him either, I was giddy when the Jets took, I beat Mike Tannenbaum there.

And your personel evaluation skills compared to an NFL GM fall equally as short as your arm compared to an NFL QB.
Once again, finding someone who made decisions and indentifying one that is wrong does nothing to prove the guy who never made one would make better ones.

Bill Parcells? four rules for drafting a quarterback | Smart Football

I think his criteria are pretty stupid, I also think it's worth noting that he would have passed on Joe Montana, TFB, Ben Roethlisburger, Kurt Warner, and Aaron Rodgers, and probably many other excellent players. There are also plenty of garbage QBs that have fit that criteria just fine.
He wouldn't have drafted Drew Bledsoe either, so clearly he doesn't follow that guide. Your thinking that he would illustrates your ignorance on the topic.
Let me guess, you knew Brady, Montana and warner should have been drafted in the 1st round, right?

Someone with knowledge and experience will be right a lot more than someone without. A single example of wrong does not have any relation to this point, unless you are claiming you are infallible.

Al Davis probably knew vastly more about football than I ever will but he had a stupid paradigm about the game, and it reflected in his teams failure.

100% absolutely incorrect. The market was inflated by an increase in demand from subprime lenders loosening their credit guidelines because they were making money hand over fist and expanded to the point of making loans with little regard for ability to pay, and therefore, homeowners bought homes they could not afford. When they lost them, the market tanked. "The Feds" had nothing to do with lenders expanding their credit portfolio.

Are you interested in some nice beachfront property? There's hordes of data on this, check out the Community Reinvestment Act for starters.

And your personel evaluation skills compared to an NFL GM fall equally as short as your arm compared to an NFL QB. Once again, finding someone who made decisions and indentifying one that is wrong does nothing to prove the guy who never made one would make better ones.

Oh, I've beaten the Jets many times, that's not exactly Nobel Prize worthy, plenty of people here have been right on the money about their decisions being consistently bad.

He wouldn't have drafted Drew Bledsoe either, so clearly he doesn't follow that guide. Your thinking that he would illustrates your ignorance on the topic.

Ummm, they're his rules, because he doesn't think enough of his own rules to actually follow them is proof of my ignorance? Wow.

Either Parcells was stupid in formulating his criteria or he wasn't, which would make his criteria sound, making his decision to ignore that criteria stupid. Sorry but you can't have it both ways.

Let me guess, you knew Brady, Montana and warner should have been drafted in the 1st round, right?

I didn't say that, I just wouldn't eliminate someone for a stupid reason, and his reasons are very stupid.

Andy, I found an interesting set of facts for you regarding the opinions of experts, enjoy.

• In 1927, film producer Harry Warner said, "Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"

• In 1905, Grover Cleveland said, "Sensible and responsible women do not want to vote."

• In the 1830s, Dionysius Lardner, author of The Steam Engine Explained and Illustrated, said, "Rail travel at high speeds is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia."

• When told of Robert Fulton’s steamboat, Napoleon said, "What, sir, would you make a ship sail against the wind and currents by lighting a bonfire under her deck? I pray you, excuse me, I have not the time to listen to such nonsense."

• On the eve of World War II, Admiral Clark Woodward said, "As far as sinking a ship with a bomb is concerned, it can never be done."

• Thomas Edison said, "Just as certain as death, George Westinghouse will kill a customer within six months after he puts in an electric system of any size," and "the phonograph has no commercial value at all."

• "This telephone has too many shortcomings to be considered as a means of communication," said the president of Western Union in 1876. "The device is of inherently no value to us."

• The president of Michigan Savings Banks advised Henry Ford’s lawyer not to invest in the Ford Motor Company because, he said, "The horse is here to stay, the automobile is a novelty."

• In 1921, radio pioneer David Sarnoff said, "The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

• In 1926, Lee DeForest, inventor of the vacuum tube, said, "While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially I consider it an impossibility."

• "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible," said Lord Kelvin, president of the British Royal Society and one of the nineteenth century’s greatest experts on thermodynamics.

• "A rocket will never be able to leave the earth’s atmosphere," stated the New York Times in 1936.

• "Space travel is utter bilge," said a British astronomer in 1956.

• "There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom," said Nobel Prize-winning physicist Robert Milliken in 1923.

• "Taking the best left-handed pitcher in baseball and converting him into a right fielder is one of the dumbest things I ever heard," said Tris Speaker in 1919. He was talking about Babe Ruth.

• MGM executive Irving Thalberg had this for Louis B. Mayer regarding Gone With the Wind: "Forget it, Louie, no Civil War picture ever made a nickel."

• "You ain’t going nowhere, son. You ought to go back to driving a truck," said Jim Denny, manager of the Grand Ole Opry, in firing Elvis Presley after a performance in 1954.

• "We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out anyway," said the president of Decca Records, rejecting the Beatles in 1962.

• Darryl Zanuck observed, in 1946, "Television won’t last because people will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."

• "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home," said the president of Digital Electronic Corporation in 1977.

• Social scientist David Riesman declared, in 1967, "If anything remains more or less unchanged, it will be the role of women."

Signing now official

Al Davis probably knew vastly more about football than I ever will but he had a stupid paradigm about the game, and it reflected in his teams failure.
The Raiders spent decades as one of the most successful franchises in the NFL.

Al Davis would run circles around you in making personell deciiosns.

Are you interested in some nice beachfront property? There's hordes of data on this, check out the Community Reinvestment Act for starters.
Again, you are proving you do not know what you are talking about. You are making my point for me. You have a laymans knowledge, replete with misinformation, and think you know more than people who spend their life dealing with the topic.

Oh, I've beaten the Jets many times, that's not exactly Nobel Prize worthy, plenty of people here have been right on the money about their decisions being consistently bad.
In the last 15 years, the Jets are 2 games over .500. That means that they have made slightly more good decisions compared to the competition.
With someone who knows as little about football as you running the show they would have been lucky to win 50 games in those 15 years. Thats the reality of this.

Ummm, they're his rules, because he doesn't think enough of his own rules to actually follow them is proof of my ignorance? Wow.
No, its a stupid article, that you are taking as way more than it actually is.

Either Parcells was stupid in formulating his criteria or he wasn't, which would make his criteria sound, making his decision to ignore that criteria stupid. Sorry but you can't have it both ways.
No, he wrote an article. His decisions are not consistent with the article, therefore the article is pointless.
All of those are nice things to have, and if choosing between two players he otherwise found equal those may be factors. To pretend those 4 critieria are all he would put into selecting a QB and calling him a poor decision maker because of that is beyond ignorant.

I didn't say that, I just wouldn't eliminate someone for a stupid reason, and his reasons are very stupid.
And you know as well as I do that he would not make a decision based just on those criteria as his entire career documents.

Andy, I found an interesting set of facts for you regarding the opinions of experts, enjoy.

• In 1927, film producer Harry Warner said, "Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"

• In 1905, Grover Cleveland said, "Sensible and responsible women do not want to vote."

• In the 1830s, Dionysius Lardner, author of The Steam Engine Explained and Illustrated, said, "Rail travel at high speeds is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia."

• When told of Robert Fulton’s steamboat, Napoleon said, "What, sir, would you make a ship sail against the wind and currents by lighting a bonfire under her deck? I pray you, excuse me, I have not the time to listen to such nonsense."

• On the eve of World War II, Admiral Clark Woodward said, "As far as sinking a ship with a bomb is concerned, it can never be done."

• Thomas Edison said, "Just as certain as death, George Westinghouse will kill a customer within six months after he puts in an electric system of any size," and "the phonograph has no commercial value at all."

• "This telephone has too many shortcomings to be considered as a means of communication," said the president of Western Union in 1876. "The device is of inherently no value to us."

• The president of Michigan Savings Banks advised Henry Ford’s lawyer not to invest in the Ford Motor Company because, he said, "The horse is here to stay, the automobile is a novelty."

• In 1921, radio pioneer David Sarnoff said, "The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

• In 1926, Lee DeForest, inventor of the vacuum tube, said, "While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially I consider it an impossibility."

• "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible," said Lord Kelvin, president of the British Royal Society and one of the nineteenth century’s greatest experts on thermodynamics.

• "A rocket will never be able to leave the earth’s atmosphere," stated the New York Times in 1936.

• "Space travel is utter bilge," said a British astronomer in 1956.

• "There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom," said Nobel Prize-winning physicist Robert Milliken in 1923.

• "Taking the best left-handed pitcher in baseball and converting him into a right fielder is one of the dumbest things I ever heard," said Tris Speaker in 1919. He was talking about Babe Ruth.

• MGM executive Irving Thalberg had this for Louis B. Mayer regarding Gone With the Wind: "Forget it, Louie, no Civil War picture ever made a nickel."

• "You ain’t going nowhere, son. You ought to go back to driving a truck," said Jim Denny, manager of the Grand Ole Opry, in firing Elvis Presley after a performance in 1954.

• "We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out anyway," said the president of Decca Records, rejecting the Beatles in 1962.

• Darryl Zanuck observed, in 1946, "Television won’t last because people will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."

• "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home," said the president of Digital Electronic Corporation in 1977.

• Social scientist David Riesman declared, in 1967, "If anything remains more or less unchanged, it will be the role of women."

Well, you certainly wasted your time there.

Again, you are proving you do not know what you are talking about. You are making my point for me. You have a laymans knowledge, replete with misinformation, and think you know more than people who spend their life dealing with the topic.

But that's the way it works now, where blog readers and radio listeners become EXPERTS, dontchaknow?

For the record, you, Andy, are 100% right about this (but you already knew that). Just follow the money, like where the defaults occurred (hint: it wasn't in CRA territory). For anyone interested, I suggest Googling Barry Ritholtz series on the crash, beginning with "The Big Lie."

Now back to your regularly scheduled NFL debate...

Translation = I’m right because I say so.

In the last 15 years, the Jets are 2 games over .500. That means that they have made slightly more good decisions compared to the competition.
With someone who knows as little about football as you running the show they would have been lucky to win 50 games in those 15 years. Thats the reality of this.

I know enough to know that coddling your star player and having different rules for him will fail, and that’s exactly what happened. I’m sure the Jets have people that know volumes more than me about the minutia of the game but they obviously don’t know the simple truth that coddling will backfire. You really don’t need to know anything about football to know that, which is why your appeal to their detailed knowledge is a fail. All the detailed knowledge in the world won’t help you if the ship is steered in the wrong direction.

No, he wrote an article. His decisions are not consistent with the article, therefore the article is pointless

No, it just means Parcells is inconsistent.

To pretend those 4 critieria are all he would put into selecting a QB and calling him a poor decision maker because of that is beyond ignorant.

I never said that was all to his evaluation but it does serve to eliminate players and I think those are exceptionally dumb reasons to do so, the magnificent QBs that have succeeded yet don’t fit that criteria strengthen my point.

Henry Ford was not an expert in all the details of car manufacturing and he also knew it wasn’t necessary, he knew that he could hire smart people who had the knowledge he didn’t, he knew how to steer the ship though. I don’t pretend to be a football genius but I know coddling a star QB is a terrible idea, as is having a revolving door of Offensive Coordinators with their own systems, as is putting your franchise QB behind a weak offensive line and expecting success. Despite all that being common sense there are plenty of GMs with tons of detailed knowledge that go ahead make those mistakes anyway.

Translation = I’m right because I say so.
No. I am right because the facts are on my side and you are incorrect about the causes because you are not knowledgable in the facts.

I know enough to know that coddling your star player and having different rules for him will fail, and that’s exactly what happened.
You said you knew he was a bad pick. Now you are saying you know how to relate to and develop players better?

I’m sure the Jets have people that know volumes more than me about the minutia of the game but they obviously don’t know the simple truth that coddling will backfire
Many players have been coddled and it made them more successful. Of course since you really don't know how he was managed, you can't really say if he was coddled. Or are you saying that the way the franchised managed Sanchez is totally transparent to anyone with a computer. :rolleyes:

. You really don’t need to know anything about football to know that, which is why your appeal to their detailed knowledge is a fail. All the detailed knowledge in the world won’t help you if the ship is steered in the wrong direction.
They know more about what direction to steer the ship in that you also.

No, it just means Parcells is inconsistent.

No it doesn't it means you take a fluff piece literally.

I never said that was all to his evaluation but it does serve to eliminate players and I think those are exceptionally dumb reasons to do so, the magnificent QBs that have succeeded yet don’t fit that criteria strengthen my point.
You said it would keep him from drafting those players, which is proven wrong by, umm, the players he actually drafted.

Henry Ford was not an expert in all the details of car manufacturing and he also knew it wasn’t necessary, he knew that he could hire smart people who had the knowledge he didn’t, he knew how to steer the ship though.
This is true in any business, but again those making decisions are experts in the area they are responsible. This run on sentence is irrelevant to our discussion.

I don’t pretend to be a football genius but I know coddling a star QB is a terrible idea, as is having a revolving door of Offensive Coordinators with their own systems, as is putting your franchise QB behind a weak offensive line and expecting success. Despite all that being common sense there are plenty of GMs with tons of detailed knowledge that go ahead make those mistakes anyway.
You have no clue how he was handled. You have no clue what the right way to handle an NFL QB is, because you have never met one. You seem to think that reading blurbs on the internet makes you an expert in QB psychology. Like everything else, you think you know it all because you have an opinion, even if it is very uninformed.
Sanchez had 2 OCs while he was the starting QB. The Jets were renowned as having one of the best OLs in the NFL early in Sanchez' career. Are you telling me they chose to let it get worse on purpose? Thats what your comment says. Surely you don't mean that seriously.

How I feel about this deal all comes down to the money. Four million for two years with incentives that could get it as high as Six is an alright deal but not great while anything over that made me want to puke. I dislike Wendell for one reason and one reason only. I played offensive line in high school and love watching a good line dominate. There were times watching GRONK Soldier and Mankins push an entire side back five yards has made me give a standing ovation. Wendell has the WORST tell I have ever seen from any player any where. 1... 2... ducks his head to look at the QB... 3... snap. Every. Single. Time. If I was a defensive lineman I would be able to get a jump on the ball just by watching his head. I sincerly hope they draft a G/C high, like 2nd round latest and cut the loser of Wendell/Connelly because the interior of the patriot offensive line could be much better. Especially with Brady whose biggest weakness is quick pressure up the A gap.

What a complete, utter waste of ever-dwindling precious cap resources. The thought
of this JAG snapping the ball to Brady again, at a raise in pay no less, makes me want
to vomit. I don't know what signing was worse: Weak-Ass Wendy or Fat-Ass Vinnie.
The sight of these 2 going head-to-head in TC would be laughable if they were on another
team; sadly, they're now on ours, again, at the cost of not being able to sign anyone else.

What a complete, utter waste of ever-dwindling precious cap resources. The thought
of this JAG snapping the ball to Brady again, at a raise in pay no less, makes me want
to vomit. I don't know what signing was worse: Weak-Ass Wendy or Fat-Ass Vinnie.
The sight of these 2 going head-to-head in TC would be laughable if they were on another
team; sadly, they're now on ours, again, at the cost of not being able to sign anyone else.

Hopefully, we see an improvement at the interior positions, and Wendell is nothing more than a 6th/7th OL.

I'm still a bit unsure of his compensation, as I thought that Reiss initially reported it to be a pact that would allow him to earn starting money only IF he played as a starter (through playing time incentives).

If that is the case, I don't have nearly the problem with it vs knowing for sure that Wendell will be starting. I would imagine that we'll know more when the contract is filed and the official numbers are posted. I believe Miguel said that he expects that to happen by Wednesday or so, but I'm not positive.

Wendell's contract is 2 years 3.25 million. I knew BB wasn't that crazy. :)

Clarity on Ryan Wendell's contract with New England Patriots - ESPN Boston

We later noted Wendell had a $2 million roster bonus each season, a robust figure relative to how the Patriots normally construct their contracts. In looking at the finer print, we surmised that there may have been an errant entry on the NFLPA records.

Overall terms: Two years, base value of $3.25 million, maximum value of $4.55 million ($850,000 guaranteed in a signing bonus)

Base salary: $1 million
Roster bonus: $200,000
Cap hit: $1.625 million

Base salary: $1 million
Roster bonus: $200,000
Playing-time incentives: Up to $1.3 million
Cap hit: $1.625 million (would increase up to $2.975 million if he hits all incentives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents