PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

Here is what is funny. Lets' just say that if Brady could play to age 45 (nevermind age 50 like what has been posed recently), then the next Patriots quarterback that they have to groom is still in elementary school/high school.

My hope is that Mallett shows just enough so that the Patriots sign him to a 2nd contract with the cap space that was saved in Brady's latest deal (i.e. AAV of $5-8 million a year) in case Brady goes down with an injury.

Mallett's 1st and 2nd preseason appearance couldn't come soon enough so that his status as Brady's backup is salted away.

I think Brady is positioning himself for an ownership stake in the Patriots personally. He is building a compound in the same neighborhood in Brookline as Kraft. Between Brady's money and Gisele's he certainly has the means. Kraft will be nearing 80 at the end of Brady's contract, so I think he will sell a portion to Brady and allow his son Jonathan and Brady to build this empire for the decades to come.

For that reason I don't think he plays past this current contract. Brady is a competitive guy he isn't going to want to be out on the field unless his body allows him to be the best, 40-42 is probably the max no matter how well you care for yourself.

I think Brady is positioning himself for an ownership stake in the Patriots personally. He is building a compound in the same neighborhood in Brookline as Kraft. Between Brady's money and Gisele's he certainly has the means. Kraft will be nearing 80 at the end of Brady's contract, so I think he will sell a portion to Brady and allow his son Jonathan and Brady to build this empire for the decades to come.

I could definitely see that.....I could easily see Brady take a 10% ownership stake at $100 million....

I could definitely see that.....I could easily see Brady take a 10% ownership stake at $100 million....

Kraft loves Brady beyond any player or coach I've ever seen. I actually think he looks at him as his 5th son. I remember when he was asked after Brady's knee injury and Cassel played so well if there was any controversy, he referred to Brady as the "crowd jewel of the NFL".

Honestly he was right; after seeing the stuff that took place this offseason I have an even appreciation for Brady is, he is one of the few athletes I'd look at my son and say he's someone worthy of idolizing.

For that reason I don't think he plays past this current contract. Brady is a competitive guy he isn't going to want to be out on the field unless his body allows him to be the best, 40-42 is probably the max no matter how well you care for yourself.

My bet is he ends up in politics- running for office one way or another in about 5-8 years after he retires. This state is the place to do it, after all- he walks on water here.

My bet is he ends up in politics- running for office one way or another in about 5-8 years after he retires. This state is the place to do it, after all- he walks on water here.

He is clearly smart enough to do whatever he wants. If he wanted to get into national politics, he would do quite well regardless of party.

I am sure that he has some business ambitions post career so it all depends on what he thinks is best for him and his family.

Re: Keep Ryan Mallet, he is the future...

Why not? Rodgers stuck around. Young stuck around. And they were rewarded for their patience with the keys to the franchise. Even when Brady hangs them up, you've got to believe that the Pats will still have a solid foundation for success for whoever takes over after him. Mallet has proven nothing yet, I don't find it all that hard to believe that he'd want to stick around and have a chance to take over this club someday.

IIRC, Rodgers was still on his rookie contract when he took over at Green Bay. The difference in timing is huge. Mallet will be off his rookie contract and looking for a much bigger deal.

He is clearly smart enough to do whatever he wants. If he wanted to get into national politics, he would do quite well regardless of party.

FWIW, I believe that he said recently that while he once had the desire to go into politics, he no longer does.

Why not? Rodgers stuck around. Young stuck around. And they were rewarded for their patience with the keys to the franchise. Even when Brady hangs them up, you've got to believe that the Pats will still have a solid foundation for success for whoever takes over after him. Mallet has proven nothing yet, I don't find it all that hard to believe that he'd want to stick around and have a chance to take over this club someday.

Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick. Colin Kaepernick was a 2nd round pick. And that's just talking in recent years. We all know where Brady was taken. You can get good QBs later on without having a top 5 pick. But you need really good scouting, confidence in your scouts to make that call, and just a bit of luck.

I fully agree with the second part of your post, in response to me.

The first part in response to Fencer--not so much. While anything is obviously possible, the timing of the Mallett contract renewal and money involved would be 2 obstacles to that happening, at least in my opinion anyway. First he'd have to make a compelling case for keeping his services on a deal that was enough for him to stay, and as you point out that hasn't happened yet.

It certainly could, but it's pretty early and difficult to project at this point. Should Mallett grow in the system then the discussion may be worth revisiting and you may be right.

IIRC, Rodgers was still on his rookie contract when he took over at Green Bay. The difference in timing is huge. Mallet will be off his rookie contract and looking for a much bigger deal.

I think you're right about these obstacles posing a problem even if he showed something--which he really hasn't to this point.

I can't remember if it was Belichick or Kraft, but one of them stated that the ideal cap percentage to spend on a franchise QB is around 12-15% at the most, so the thought of tying up 23 or 24 million on the QB position between Brady and Mallett seems to be a little excessive.

Of course the cap may go up a bit in the next few years so the argument could be made that they wouldn't be exceeding their "ideal" cap allottment at the position, but of course Mallett would have to make his case first, so all of this back and forth is just for our general amusement at this point in time.

I think you're right about these obstacles posing a problem even if he showed something--which he really hasn't to this point.

I can't remember if it was Belichick or Kraft, but one of them stated that the ideal cap percentage to spend on a franchise QB is around 12-15% at the most, so the thought of tying up 23 or 24 million on the QB position between Brady and Mallett seems to be a little excessive.

Of course the cap may go up a bit in the next few years so the argument could be made that they wouldn't be exceeding their "ideal" cap allottment at the position, but of course Mallett would have to make his case first, so all of this back and forth is just for our general amusement at this point in time.

Do have to remember that it's not just tying X dollars up for one season. My numbers might be off, so correct me if I'm wrong, but Brady is 36? And he plans on playing into his 40's ? Call it 42 just for arguments sake. That's 6 or 7 more seasons depending on when he actually retires (Between 41-42, or 42-43). Let's just call it 6 seasons.

Mallet is under contract for this season and next. That means that he would sit the first 4 years of his second contract, while being paid $5 - $8 mil per year ? @ that point, he'd only have 1 year left under contract presuming he signed a 5 year deal ?

That's $25-$40 million just to sit and backup Brady, then be the QB for 1 season while negotiating a 3rd contract to keep him on the team ?

Oh yeah, by that time, Mallet will be 31 or thereabouts with very few starts under his belt.

I just can't see how any of the above makes sense when you can draft a QB right out of college and sign him at the rookie wage scale.

Do have to remember that it's not just tying X dollars up for one season. My numbers might be off, so correct me if I'm wrong, but Brady is 36? And he plans on playing into his 40's ? Call it 42 just for arguments sake. That's 6 or 7 more seasons depending on when he actually retires (Between 41-42, or 42-43). Let's just call it 6 seasons.

Mallet is under contract for this season and next. That means that he would sit the first 4 years of his second contract, while being paid $5 - $8 mil per year ? @ that point, he'd only have 1 year left under contract presuming he signed a 5 year deal ?

That's $25-$40 million just to sit and backup Brady, then be the QB for 1 season while negotiating a 3rd contract to keep him on the team ?

Oh yeah, by that time, Mallet will be 31 or thereabouts with very few starts under his belt.

I just can't see how any of the above makes sense when you can draft a QB right out of college and sign him at the rookie wage scale.

Yeah, when you put it like that, Mallett isn't sticking around no matter how friendly the deal. Have to think that if they sign Mallett to a second and long term contract, that's a sign Brady won't be playing for much longer.

'Twas nice knowing you Ryan.

Re: Re: Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

TB will never be traded or released; he will retire a Patriot and move on directly to the front office, maybe even with some type of ownership stake eventually. TB is not only the best QB to ever step on a NFL field he also embodies everything the NFL wants their players to be.

Regarding the trades Mallett an Cassell are completely different, Mallett was once considered a top 10 draft pick until character issues dropped his stock, Cassell was a collegiate backup taken in the late rounds. Mallett simply needs to show that his talent translates to the NFL and I could see a team offering us a pick in round 2, 3, or 4. If he has an average preseason I don't think we will even get a phone call for him and it will indicate we misplayed our hand in terms of him.

Tebow wouldn't garner $2 in a trade return led a lone a 2nd rounder; Jax could of signed him to a non guaranteed deal just as easily as we did, so obviously they have no interest.

Jax... sarcasm is a b!tch.

TB is going to "retire" to a front office job? Are you kidding me? If either me or my wife had the money TB does, we would actually retire.

The last few years TB hasn't had the off season parking spot. Simple reason, he had much better things to do. This year, he has lost many of his upper echelon targets, is dealing with a bunch of rooks, and a well known teammate allegedly shot in cold blood, one if not three people. You don't think Kraft was on the phone immediately? Who else to force "patriot way" into these kids heads than TB?

What I have said seems to have been misconstrued. I don't want TB being traded anywhere. However, with all the Mallett bs, best case scenario towards compensation for Mallett would be a Bledsoe situation. I don't want this. Nor do I think Mallett is the answer.

Excuse me for making the dumbest statement ever while playing Devils advocate. (This is aimed towards deus and grid/mg, forgot which cherry picked the best case trade TB line).

uh..again..not to be contrary but how do you come up with Mallett making 5 to 8 per year? 2014 is his last year of his first contract with a salary of just over a million dollars...you actually think Mallett is going to command a 5 million dollar salary? 8 million is beyond preposterous. Mallett has no game experience to speak of yet and doesn't look to see any by the time his contract is up...a GM would have to be braindead to even offer twice what he's making right now, and I think the Pats sign him to a three or four year team friendly contract between 5 and7 mil over that span.Then again, they could let him walk and draft another QB in 2014. Brady's is the only contract on this team that will tie up more than 10% of the cap.

uh..again..not to be contrary but how do you come up with Mallett making 5 to 8 per year? 2014 is his last year of his first contract with a salary of just over a million dollars...you actually think Mallett is going to command a 5 million dollar salary? 8 million is beyond preposterous. Mallett has no game experience to speak of yet and doesn't look to see any by the time his contract is up...a GM would have to be braindead to even offer twice what he's making right now, and I think the Pats sign him to a three or four year team friendly contract between 5 and7 mil over that span.Then again, they could let him walk and draft another QB in 2014. Brady's is the only contract on this team that will tie up more than 10% of the cap.

I was using the numbers that others had thrown out there earlier in the thread.

well, take those numbers with a grain of salt...Mallett's first deal is here...

Ryan Mallett Contracts, Salaries, Cap Hits, & Transactions

Use Miguel's cap page to answer all these salary questions in the future. Fans here tend to say all kinds of things with little or no actual factual evidence.

well, take those numbers with a grain of salt...Mallett's first deal is here...

Ryan Mallett Contracts, Salaries, Cap Hits, & Transactions

Use Miguel's cap page to answer all these salary questions in the future. Fans here tend to say all kinds of things with little or no actual factual evidence.

Thanks for the link and the advice :)

It looks like the gist of the conversation was that Mallet would be convinced at that point that he could sign with another team as a starter or at least to compete for a starting job. Think it was also presumed that he actually showed serious improvement this season or next. They were talking about Flynn kind of money. That to keep him, the Pats would have to offer something in that kind of range.

Personally, I don't see the Pats signing Mallet to another contract unless something catastrophic happens to Brady in the next 2 years. He'll want too much money, Brady will have too many years left and the Pats could always bring another young guy in at rookie scale to back him up.

I agree. Especially if he comes up flat this preseason. Even if he flashes, the Pats would be wise to flip him for a 4TH IMO and go into 2014 with Tebow as the #2 and a young developmental QB that suits the Pats offense. The Pats have all 7 of their picks in 2014. Mallett gets them a mid round pick at least and who knows, maybe someone sees a diamond and offers a 3 ...maybe, I doubt it right now but it's far off anyway.BB likes mid round flexibility and an extra 4th or 3rd would be tempting.

I agree. Especially if he comes up flat this preseason. Even if he flashes, the Pats would be wise to flip him for a 4TH IMO and go into 2014 with Tebow as the #2 ...

:confused: :eek: :bricks:

yeah...I know, I know...I just keep going back to the experience thing...Tebow DOES have a playoff win on the road and actual NFL game experience. I don't expect Brady to get injured so if the unthinkable happens, Tebow could carry the team on experience alone. Mallett? I mean, what do we really KNOW about this guy? He looks great in reps and then looks visibly nervous in 11 on 11's....preseason, THAT'S what we need ,Tunes. This month all questions get answered...or maybe not...:noidea:

the only thing you can hope for is for brady to get a yeast infection or something else girl-related so he's out against the jets, dolphins, and steelers and gives mallet 3 games to light it up so then the pats can get a 1st rounder for him from anyone who's thinking of drafting manziel

without something like that, he's here until the end of 2014 and then the pats get to draft another backup, or the 'real future'

I still think that brady will have some sort of affliction this year or next giving mallet an opportunity

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back