PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running Back: It’s Gonna Be Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you Maroney lovers are going to have some crow to eat like us Chad Jackson lovers did. Whether it's this year or next Maroney will not be in the long term plans of the Patriots.

Maroney has shown much more at the NFL level than Jackson ever did. If he can ever consistently play like he did at the end of the 07 season he will be a good back in this league for years, which is another reason the Pats aren't going to just cut him in favor of their 5th RB.

Cutting our starting RB in favor or our 5th string RB? Not very smart for any NFL team, and you'll see tomorrow that Maroney - and likely all 5 - are still on the team. And when you see Maroney start against Buffalo you will wonder why Belichick doesn't defer to your scouting prowess.

Greetings.

Agreed but you might want to save the sarcasm until you've been around a while. :). Nonetheless,
:welcome:

I'm sick of both fans attacking each others RB. Any thoughts on the idea of them being a young duo in the future?

All you Maroney lovers are going to have some crow to eat like us Chad Jackson lovers did. Whether it's this year or next Maroney will not be in the long term plans of the Patriots.

Maroney has already done worlds more than Chad Jackson did. Again, Maroney was a stud the tail end of the 2007 getting four 100 yard games in five games. He was also very good his rookie season at times.

Jackson's problem was he just didn't get it. Maroney's problem is injuries. There is little comparison between the two.

They need to keep 5 backs. Odds are at least 2 of them won't make it through the season due to injury.

They need to keep 5 backs. Odds are at least 2 of them won't make it through the season due to injury.

Agreed. I would be particularly concerned about injuries this year since Faulk, Taylor, and Morris are three of the very oldest RBs in the league.

Why not taylor?

when we went undefeated, and all of maroney, morris and faulk were healty the rb crew was great (up to the point where morris got hurt against the boys)....

we know what we have with our four guys, why not get rid of taylor....has he shows that much?

I am just feeling like Maroney is the odd man out.

Here are my reasons:

• BenJarvus Green-Ellis is just too good to let go. He seems to be the future at running back in Foxboro. Maybe even the present!

Armen - you really need to stop smoking Rickey Williams stash.. BJGE showed just how "good" he is with his 18 for 48 performance yesterday against the Giants 1st stringers. BJGE is not another Ryan Grant. I'm sorry to burst the delusions of people on this board.

• Fred Taylor has played well and earned a spot. He keeps things warm for BJGE.

• Kevin Faulk is not going anywhere, obviously. He is a classic third-down back with sure hands and understands Belichick and the "Patriot Way". In my opinion, he deserves the Tedy Bruschi treatment when it is time for him to retire. A class act and a great Patriot!

• Sammy Morris, despite injuries, is the closest thing to a fullback they have on this team and he has shown he is a strong north-south runner when he’s healthy.

Morris has missed as much time as Maroney. And he missed damn near the entire pre-season.

• Maroney, after being given opportunity upon opportunity, just doesn’t seem to step up and grab the bull by the horns.

Maybe you should watch the games and see how the O-line isn't opening up the holes it needs to... When it does, Maroney does fine. BTW, can you explain how Maroney actually gets positive yardage on more of his plays than Morris?

I don’t know what it is with this kid. Is he not “football smart”? Does he not take coaching?

Whatever it is, he seems to be the “fifth wheel” in a group of four running backs.

He's only the "fifth wheel" to people who refuse accept that there is more to the running game than just handing the ball to the RB.

Yes, it will be a big hit to the team’s scouting and ego to admit that they blew a first-round pick on a bust, but that hasn’t stopped them before. I beleive Belichick always thinks of what’s best for the team first and of the five men mentioned above, Maroney is the least of them.

That's why Maroney took snaps with the 1st team in the 1st 3 pre-season games and BJGE took snaps with the 2nd/3rd stringers...

Anyway, I think everyone would agree it’s either Morris or Maroney. BJGE locked his spot up last night.

BJGE had 18 carries for 48 yards against the Giants 1st stringers.... If you think that locks up his spot on this team, well, so be it.. In my honest opinion, there are plenty of RBs who get cut each year who could do the same thing..

I am real interested to see what happens here tomorrow @ 4pm.

(By the way, how about BJGE last TD? He literally looked like he was faster than everyone on the field. He just shot through the hole and was gone to the pylon. That was a nice run.)

Against the Giants 3rd string defense.. Yep.. Looked great.. :rolleyes:

Why do they NEED to keep 5 backs? They only kept 4 RBs last year. And please don't include Evans as a RB.. He's not. He's a FB..

Armen - you really need to stop smoking Rickey Williams stash.. BJGE showed just how "good" he is with his 18 for 48 performance yesterday against the Giants 1st stringers. BJGE is not another Ryan Grant. I'm sorry to burst the delusions of people on this board.

Morris has missed as much time as Maroney. And he missed damn near the entire pre-season.

Maybe you should watch the games and see how the O-line isn't opening up the holes it needs to... When it does, Maroney does fine. BTW, can you explain how Maroney actually gets positive yardage on more of his plays than Morris?

He's only the "fifth wheel" to people who refuse accept that there is more to the running game than just handing the ball to the RB.

That's why Maroney took snaps with the 1st team in the 1st 3 pre-season games and BJGE took snaps with the 2nd/3rd stringers...

BJGE had 18 carries for 48 yards against the Giants 1st stringers.... If you think that locks up his spot on this team, well, so be it.. In my honest opinion, there are plenty of RBs who get cut each year who could do the same thing..

Against the Giants 3rd string defense.. Yep.. Looked great.. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you and Deus Irae must be Maroney's agents. Everyone on this board pretty much agrees he deserves a roster spot.

I'm sick of both fans attacking each others RB. Any thoughts on the idea of them being a young duo in the future?

I'm sick of it too. Some people have now dug their heels in and are unwilling to give credit either way. Not sure what happened to civility in these discussions.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I kinda like them both, and hope they both make the 53.

Seriously, you and Deus Irae must be Maroney's agents. Everyone on this board pretty much agrees he deserves a roster spot.

Well, in fairness to DaBruinz the topic of this thread initially was that Maroney should be cut. That is who he responded to. So not everyone agrees with him that he deserves a roster spot. Listening to the radio this morning, there are a lot of people who feel that Maroney should be cut calling in.

Umm.. Not sure which board you are visiting, but its not this one. And, instead of making assinine comments, you might want to actually read what was said. Or is that asking too much from you?

And sorry that I don't believe a below average performance against top competition means a person "deserves" a roster spot. If that was the case, Alex Smith, Nunn, Connolly, Wendell, Jones, Love and Rogers would all be guaranteed roster spots.. And we KNOW they aren't.

Kontradiction, I agree with what you are saying to some extent.

Are you saying the MAX he can become on this team is a serviceable back-up?

Think about it, next year Fred Taylor and Morris should be gone.

Yes. If he's starting then it's bad news for us. It means two things: 1) Injuries have taken their toll on the RB position again and 2) opposing defenses aren't exactly going to fear the mighty BenJarvus Green-Ellis. I mean, the guy went up again the Broncos last year (one of the worst defenses I have ever seen) and only managed to rattle off 65 yards. He runs north-south really well, but isn't outstanding in anything else besides that. With this considered, he'd be an excellent goal line running back but not much else. This makes me think that he makes the final 53 to spell Maroney and Taylor, Faulk is the third down RB, Morris is cut, and Taylor is sent to the Practice Squad.

Why in the hell would you want fans of your own team to eat crow over being wrong about how our starting running back is going to fare? That makes absolutely no sense to me and almost sounds like you are rooting against Maroney (or, in the bigger picture, the team) in hopes that you and others are right about him being a bust. If anything, I would think that you would hope that YOU'RE going to be the one eating crow over it... not the other way around.

Re: Running Back: It’s Gonna Be Maroney

I doubt Maroney is going to get cut. When he is on his A-Game is when he shows how good he can be such as in late 2007. Do I wish he would be more consistent in performance? Yes of course I do. Of course I can understand injuries and not having holes open to work with also play into this. Hopefully this will be the season where we finally see the true Laurence Maroney emerge.

Why in the hell would you want fans of your own team to eat crow over being wrong about how our starting running back is going to fare? That makes absolutely no sense to me and almost sounds like you are rooting against Maroney (or, in the bigger picture, the team) in hopes that you and others are right about him being a bust. If anything, I would think that you would hope that YOU'RE going to be the one eating crow over it... not the other way around.

Perfectly stated. Rooting for Maroney (or any Patriot) to fail is essentially rooting for the team to fail. it seems as if that poster is more concerned with being right than what's right for the Patriots.

Umm.. Not sure which board you are visiting, but its not this one. And, instead of making assinine comments, you might want to actually read what was said. Or is that asking too much from you?

And sorry that I don't believe a below average performance against top competition means a person "deserves" a roster spot. If that was the case, Alex Smith, Nunn, Connolly, Wendell, Jones, Love and Rogers would all be guaranteed roster spots.. And we KNOW they aren't.

I don't want Maroney cut. In fact, I want him to perform great for the team....

I'm just of you saying that BJGE is like those guys, he deserves the roster spot.

Time after time, people with anti-Maroney feelings post anti-Maroney threads. Whether they bother to pretend that it's not about how much they dislike the player or not, it's always the same thing: another chance to take a shot at the team's starting running back.

1.) Maroney
2.) Taylor

3rd down back: Faulk

4.) Morris (if healthy enough)
5.) BJGE

That's the slotting. BJGE makes it if:

A.) Morris is cut due to his injuries, either outright or with a settlement
B.) Morris is IR'd due to his injuries
c.) The team decides to carry 5 running backs in the absence of a fullback

Maroney averages well north of 4YPC for his career.

Laurence Maroney: Career Stats

If he stays healthy - huge if, I admit - he's capable of being one of the top ten backs in the league, particularly with the work he's done receiving. If he's returning kicks he may well be up near 2000 all-purpose yards this year.

(Watch him get cut today now that I've said that...)

No way is Maroney getting cut. There is zero value in that.

I agree with Deus; BJGE makes this team if Morris is injured or we carry 5. I love the kids heart and obvious work ethic, but I can't see the Pats carrying 5 RB's. I would prefer he stay over Morris for the youth factor, but thats just my simple laymen thinking.

One thing that is always bothering me when thinking about this is the whisper in my ear saying....."See Patrick Cobbs".

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back