PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running Back: It’s Gonna Be Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im betting on Morris possibly getting PUPed for 6 weeks, and Bill prolonging making a cut decision on any of the backs. But as has been said, we no longer have Evans or a FB, so Morris' role is partly that of a FB. It'd technically be the same # of backs we've always kept if we keep all 5.

Last edited:
Im betting on Morris possibly getting PUPed for 6 weeks, and Bill prolonging making a cut decision on any of the backs. But as has been said, we no longer have Evans or a FB, so Morris' role is partly that of a FB. It'd technically be the same # of backs we've always kept if we keep all 5.

Morris cannot be PUPed. He would need to be on the preseason PUP and never come off it to be PUPed to be on the active PUP. Either Morris will be on the active roster or off the team or IR.

It's an unfair rhetorical question as our backup OL was in at that time.

Fine, what did BJGE do against STARTERS last year when thrust into game action (including the worst defense in the league in the Denver Broncos) last season? Actually, I'll answer that for you. He played in 9 games with 74 carries going for 275 yards for 3.7 YPC. That was with New England's starting OL in the game. He wouldn't have even had that if it had not been for a 26 carry effort in Buffalo. Bottom line is that the guy is a serviceable back-up, but he's not about to unseat Maroney (who is finally healthy), Fred Taylor, or Kevin Faulk. If anyone in this RB corps is going to be cut, it's Sammy Morris.

BJGE is a good developmental back. He is making progress, but I don't think that this means the end of Maroney. As fragile as our backs are, I think that we will keep all of them. You can almost count on Morris being hurt. I wouldn't count out Maroney getting banged up too. Fred Taylor is no spring chicken either. Kevin Faulk is Kevin Faulk. It will be to expensive for the team to cut Maroney anyway. This offseason has been full of surprises. If they can trade away Mike Vrabel, anything can happen, IMO. But I still think that they will keep all of the running backs.

Last edited:
Fine, what did BJGE do against STARTERS last year when thrust into game action (including the worst defense in the league in the Denver Broncos) last season? Actually, I'll answer that for you. He played in 9 games with 74 carries going for 275 yards for 3.7 YPC. That was with New England's starting OL in the game. He wouldn't have even had that if it had not been for a 26 carry effort in Buffalo. Bottom line is that the guy is a serviceable back-up, but he's not about to unseat Maroney (who is finally healthy), Fred Taylor, or Kevin Faulk. If anyone in this RB corps is going to be cut, it's Sammy Morris.
I'm not a BJGE fan, as such, I just didn't like your point. This one is a little better, he was a rookie and will improve but RB generally "are what they are" as rookies more than other positions. Personally I hope we keep him as Maroney/Morris get hurt a lot and Taylor is old. But the odds of BJGE being more than a 4.0 YPC guy seems unlikely.

I'm not a BJGE fan, as such, I just didn't like your point. This one is a little better, he was a rookie and will improve but RB generally "are what they are" as rookies more than other positions. Personally I hope we keep him as Maroney/Morris get hurt a lot and Taylor is old. But the odds of BJGE being more than a 4.0 YPC guy seems unlikely.

You should also remember that the back-up lineman were also blocking against the Giants back-up DL. But yeah, I see what you're saying.

No way Maroney is getting cut. BJGE had a great game against the backups...
A pop warner kid could've gained solid yardage with the holes the OL was opening up for him last night.;)

Kontradiction, I agree with what you are saying to some extent.

Are you saying the MAX he can become on this team is a serviceable back-up?

Think about it, next year Fred Taylor and Morris should be gone.

You should also remember that the back-up lineman were also blocking against the Giants back-up DL.
In theory that should make the blocking about equal, certainly more equal than our 2s against their 1s.

My gut feeling is Maroney, Faulk, BJGE will make it. One of Morris or Taylor will and the other probably will but one could be a surprise cut. I just think Belichick likes a pair of young legs he can count on if injuries hit.

All you Maroney lovers are going to have some crow to eat like us Chad Jackson lovers did. Whether it's this year or next Maroney will not be in the long term plans of the Patriots.

I think they'll keep five and Maroney won't be number four; I'd go with Reiss and put Maroney at three. If they decide to go with only four, Morris will be PUP'ed (as others have noted) or released.

All you Maroney lovers are going to have some crow to eat like us Chad Jackson lovers did. Whether it's this year or next Maroney will not be in the long term plans of the Patriots.

Since when do folks have to eat crow for sticking by a player in whom they believe, be he Jackson or Maroney? We all have the same objective, getting the best 53 for opening night.

Cutting our starting RB in favor or our 5th string RB? Not very smart for any NFL team, and you'll see tomorrow that Maroney - and likely all 5 - are still on the team. And when you see Maroney start against Buffalo you will wonder why Belichick doesn't defer to your scouting prowess.

Greetings.

Any guy who was on that field last nite is fighting for a roster spot. The one's that were held out are getting ready for Week 1 vs. Buffalo. Maroney will not be cut, BJGE might be.

Yep, but I sure hope they keep the Law Firm around.

Last edited:
Cutting our starting RB in favor or our 5th string RB? Not very smart for any NFL team, and you'll see tomorrow that Maroney - and likely all 5 - are still on the team. And when you see Maroney start against Buffalo you will wonder why Belichick doesn't defer to your scouting prowess.

Greetings.

Well said, good first post - welcome aboard.

Yep, but I sure hope they keep the Law Firm around.

I'm in the camp that's pretty ambivalent. I like what BJGE has done - but if there are players who can contribute more in areas of need, BJGE is no doubt the 5th RB on the roster, so he could be victim of a #'s game. With Morris banged up right now, it might just be safer to carry him I guess.

Last edited:
Morris cannot be PUPed. He would need to be on the preseason PUP and never come off it to be PUPed to be on the active PUP. Either Morris will be on the active roster or off the team or IR.

thanks for clarifying that.

I, am one of the few, that can see Maroney and BJGE being a good duo.

BJGE could be the wear and tear back who consistently moves the chains.
(92yard drive against Buffalo whose 19 plays tied a franchise record for most plays on one drive)

Maroney could be the speed RB who breaks far runs in open space and can also catch the ball well.

Plus, there both 24, so we could not touch this position and waste draft picks on it for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes