PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running Back: It’s Gonna Be Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: What did BJGE do against the Giants' STARTERS? This is a rhetorical question, by the way.

True statement but it is a wash. He was running behind second and third string Pats linemen.
DW Toys

I don't want Maroney cut. In fact, I want him to perform great for the team....

I'm just of you saying that BJGE is like those guys, he deserves the roster spot.

Why is it that you refuse to read what a person posts and then write on about things that weren't even mentioned.

1) No where did I say you wanted Maroney cut. Nor did I say you wanted Maroney to perform poorly.

2) Your second paragraph makes no sense, other than you think that BJGE deserves a spot.. Which you establish previously..

True statement but it is a wash. He was running behind second and third string Pats linemen.
DW Toys

Its a wash because BJGE ran behind the 2nd stringers?? He didn't run behind 3rd until the Giants top defense was off the field.

Sorry, but that doesn't fly.. And, even if it did, 18 for 48 is nothing to get excited about.

Maroney is our more explosive RB. He is a threat to score from anywhere on the field. Having that kind of threat at RB forces teams to respect the run. He may not be in a total groove yet, but if he can stay healthy, he is obviously the number 1 RB on his team.

Law frm is a excelent mve the chains tpe of back, but teams don't have to respect him and he isn't really that dangerous, he reminds me a lot of Rudy Johnson.

Maroney has shown much more at the NFL level than Jackson ever did. If he can ever consistently play like he did at the end of the 07 season he will be a good back in this league for years, which is another reason the Pats aren't going to just cut him in favor of their 5th RB.

Can anyone with a clear logical response tell me why Maroney is such a valuable asset in your minds? Nice kid and unlucky say some, but I say if there is a suitor for a trade partner out there, why not trade him if we can get something. He will not make an impact on this roster (maybe no RB will if Brady is hot).
I just don't think that statistics thrown out there in the past by his supporters that can be made to taint or enhance, are even worthy. Is there something that I am missing about him that makes him superior to our other RBs? Would I be wrong in saying his career has been mediocre at this point? Would I be wrong to say a #1 draft choice for him has been iffy at best? Would anyone on this site who has seen him perform in the first 3 pre-season games see anything that has said he has turned his game and M.O. around?
He has value as a trade now. If he dances yet again, he losses value for the Pats to trade him for anything next year.

We are all wanting the same thing for the Pats and that is another Superbowl.

I don't see him as that valuable "potential" starter this year. He would be the least valuable of the starting 11. He is a JAG right now. Please let us be honest.

BB does not care where you are drafted. It is the player who performs the best. He is our worst performing back so far this preseason. Do we hang on to him just because he is a first rounder? We can all see what he is still doing and defend him if you like but it doesn't change anything.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Maroney will not get cut for the simple reason he cost more against the cap if he's not on the team then if he is on the team. Along with that the fact we have no FB, and it looks like Alex Smith will be working the fry machine next week, there is room on the roster to keep 5 RBs.

Its a wash because BJGE ran behind the 2nd stringers?? He didn't run behind 3rd until the Giants top defense was off the field.

Sorry, but that doesn't fly.. And, even if it did, 18 for 48 is nothing to get excited about.

Strange, I did not see our whole first team OL starting out there last night. What channel were you watching? There you go again, twisting stuff as usual.
DW Toys

Can anyone with a clear logical response tell me why Maroney is such a valuable asset in your minds? Nice kid and unlucky say some, but I say if there is a suitor for a trade partner out there, why not trade him if we can get something. He will not make an impact on this roster (maybe no RB will if Brady is hot).
I just don't think that statistics thrown out there in the past by his supporters that can be made to taint or enhance, are even worthy. Is there something that I am missing about him that makes him superior to our other RBs? Would I be wrong in saying his career has been mediocre at this point? Would I be wrong to say a #1 draft choice for him has been iffy at best? Would anyone on this site who has seen him perform in the first 3 pre-season games see anything that has said he has turned his game and M.O. around?
He has value as a trade now. If he dances yet again, he losses value for the Pats to trade him for anything next year.

I don't see him as that valuable "potential" starter this year. He would be the least valuable of the starting 11. He is a JAG right now. Please let us be honest.

BB does not care where you are drafted. It is the player who performs the best. He is our worst performing back so far this preseason. Do we hang on to him just because he is a first rounder? We can all see what he is still doing and defend him if you like but it doesn't change anything.
DW Toys

Maroney has shown that he can carry the load when he's healthy. Chances are we do not go 16-0 in 2007 without his strong games at the end of the season and I honestly feel if we found a way to get him the ball out in space more he would be one of the best weapons on the team. His main issue is health and his occasional reluctance to just take what the defense is giving instead of dancing but he is too valuable on the whole to cut or dump for a crap pick while his value is down. I would love to keep all 5 because with this stable there will be injuries, but if one has to go it isn't going to be Maroney.

Maroney has shown that he can carry the load when he's healthy. Chances are we do not go 16-0 in 2007 without his strong games at the end of the season and I honestly feel if we found a way to get him the ball out in space more he would be one of the best weapons on the team. His main issue is health and his occasional reluctance to just take what the defense is giving instead of dancing but he is too valuable on the whole to cut or dump for a crap pick while his value is down. I would love to keep all 5 because with this stable there will be injuries, but if one has to go it isn't going to be Maroney.

Fair statement. I never said cut Maroney. Simon will say I said that. I just said as of this second, he is the least performing back right now. Some people say keep him because he had a good second half season in 2007.

If we kept for potential, then he starts.

I said trade him if we get a good offer (not a 5,6 or 7). I completely disagree on cutting him.

I say we have to keep Law Firm because Maroney and or Taylor will get hurt for sure (who wants to take some of that action?) and Morris is already there.
DW Toys

If/when you actually started listening to people who have been "clear and logical with you," then maybe you'll start learning something. And there have been PLENTY of people who have attempted to educate you on Maroney (and Sanders, Watson, etc) whom you've just ignored because their opinions were different than yours and showed you to be severely lacking in your understanding of football.

Here is my advice to you. Go and by yourself a DVR and tape the games. Then, go down to your local Jr. High School and watch the plays.. Particularly, watch how the offensive linemen are blocking. Then go and talk to the coaches and learn about what happens when the holes aren't opened up regularly by the O-line.

Then, go watch the games on your DVR and talk to us about Maroney.

This is what you don't understand. You, and many others, equate cutting to dancing. You did it in game 2 of the pre-season. Does Maroney have to hesitate at times? Yeah, because the holes that are supposed to be there, aren't. Does he screw up at times? Yep. All the players do. Including Brady.

DW Toys

Maroney is a JAG?? *ROFLMAO* and you wonder why people slam you? Its because of making unintelligent statements like that. You claiming that he would be the "least valuable" of the starting 11 is just you hating on the player. Seriously. You lose all credibility with statements like that.

YOU don't actually see what Maroney is doing. You only see what you want. You have shown, time and again, that you don't want to see that the holes aren't always there for Maroney. You sweep it aside or you, erroneously, blame Maroney.

Maroney was never a power back in college. He was a back that could run with power. And there is a difference. Maroney's best asset is his speed. And, when the holes are open when he gets there, then all is good. However, if the holes are closed when he gets to the line or there are defenders in the backfield as he's getting the ball from Brady, people like yourself blame Maroney. You don't blame the O-line for having been pushed back, not opening the hole they were supposed to or blowing a blocking assignment. Not once have I seen you do that. Not once. You've always blamed Maroney. And that is your fallacy.

Is Maroney perfect? Nope. He's not. He's a 24 year old kid who is still learning the speed of the Pro Game. And he's been affected by the 2 injuries he's had to his shoulder.

What is so annoying about the people who get down on Maroney is that most have admitted, at one time or another, that RBs need carries in a game to get a rhythm going. Usually its 15-20+ carries. Yet, these same people, when it comes to Maroney, ignore those rules as if Maroney is supposed to be some kind of god where the typical rules no longer apply.

Maroney showed in the pre-season exactly what he showed in his rookie season. That he can be a factor in both the running game and the passing game. And that he'll be even more effective as a runner when he's also used in the passing game because it usually catches the defense sleeping.

Any guy who was on that field last nite is fighting for a roster spot. The one's that were held out are getting ready for Week 1 vs. Buffalo. Maroney will not be cut, BJGE might be.

What he said. There are already multiple threads discussing this, so I don't see the point in rehashing a point that I've made pretty clearly already. I'll simply state that, if Maroney was on the bubble, he would have played last night- there's a reason why BJGE got all of the carries.

Strange, I did not see our whole first team OL starting out there last night. What channel were you watching? There you go again, twisting stuff as usual.
DW Toys

You are the one twisitng stuff. Your the person claiming that its a wash because BJGE ran behind the 2nd string O-line. My stance is that its not a wash. And that he didn't really start running WELL until the 1st team defense was off the field.

Unlike YOU, I stick to the facts. You are the one who lets your ignorant bias take you all over the place and leaves you unable to just read what was posted.

Maroney has already done worlds more than Chad Jackson did. Again, Maroney was a stud the tail end of the 2007 getting four 100 yard games in five games. He was also very good his rookie season at times.

Jackson's problem was he just didn't get it. Maroney's problem is injuries. There is little comparison between the two.

Last night I saw Jackson throw a devastating block to spring a running back in the Denver-Arizona game, and it occurred to me that, aside from a long return or two, that was probably the best play I'd ever seen out of him.

Fair statement. I never said cut Maroney. Simon will say I said that. I just said as of this second, he is the least performing back right now. Some people say keep him because he had a good second half season in 2007.

If we kept for potential, then he starts.

I said trade him if we get a good offer (not a 5,6 or 7). I completely disagree on cutting him.

I say we have to keep Law Firm because Maroney and or Taylor will get hurt for sure (who wants to take some of that action?) and Morris is already there.
DW Toys

Listen, DW. Unlike YOU, I don't go putting words in other people's mouths. YOU are the one who claimed that Maroney should be traded. Not me. You are the one who claimed he's a JAG. Not me.

Why don't you keep your ignorance focused on your bias against Maroney, Sanders, and Watson instead of trying to be clairvoyant of what others will say. Hmmm.. Better yet, why don't you focus on learning something about football instead of insisting on showing off your ignorance?

DW Toys

Logical response:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Football analysis and NFL stats for the Moneyball era - Authors of Football Outsiders Almanac 2009

Maroney will not get cut for the simple reason he cost more against the cap if he's not on the team then if he is on the team. Along with that the fact we have no FB, and it looks like Alex Smith will be working the fry machine next week, there is room on the roster to keep 5 RBs.

Doesn't mean anything. If we can afford to lost $$ then we will if its for the teams interest.

This subject has been......:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Last night I saw Jackson throw a devastating block to spring a running back in the Denver-Arizona game, and it occurred to me that, aside from a long return or two, that was probably the best play I'd ever seen out of him.

In fairness to Jackson, he had some really great catches his rookie season including a 35 yard TD catch and a ten yard TD catch where he walked in on three limbs. They were just few and far between.

This subject has been......:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Get used to it. This horse will be nothing but powdered bones, and it will still be getting pummeled.

Get used to it. This horse will be nothing but powdered bones, and it will still be getting pummeled.

I'm still looking forward to the game he rushes for over 100 yards and a TD and he gets tackled once for a loss because he was dancing in the backfield and all the haters starting endless threads how Maroney sucks and can't stop dancing in the backfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes