PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running Back at 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want defense with both #1's unless a STUD OL falls to us.
You win with defense and on the lines.

GI want to make sure we have an awesome running back in the playoffs, and I think Lynch is going to be really good. Two running backs seems to be a good idea (http://www.startribune.com/101/story/948464.html) Ball control, time of possession, a grinding clock killing ground game to complement a potent passing attack.

Kevin Faulk is 31 years old.

I like screens.

If both Maroney and Lynch are equally awesome we could trade one of them at the end of the year for a first (like trading into next year, but using the player in the meantime.)

having a fast, playmaking secondary is more important. Defense wins championships ..remember that

ball control..TOP..clock killing is all good but not every team can be like the Colts where offense does everything and defense blows(regular season that is) Defense is needed..speed..stealing the ball from the other team..preventing TDs.putting PAIN into the offense's hearts!

Kevin Faulk is 31..? Well Harrison gonna be 34..Hawkins will be 30 .. Chad Scott will be 32..Tory James is 34..Bruschi will be 34..Vrabel will be 32..Thomas is gonna be 30

we spent last years draft and a lot of this years off season into offense
-Maroney,Thomas, Jackson, Stallworth,Welker,Washington, Morris

why would we carry so many RBs this year? Maroney, Faulk..Evans resigned..why would we sign Morris to a 1 mill + contract if we werent gonna use him?

last year we carried Dillon,Maroney,Faulk,Evans and Pass came off PUP.

this year we have Maroney, Faulk, Morris, Evans and Mills coming off IR

Morris signed for a what..$1.3 mill contract? He plays RB..filled in well for Ronnie..played FB few years ago so he can be on the field..(so hes like Pass in a way expect Pass was a FB then TB) . Morris is also a top ST contributor which is a plus because versatility and saves us a roster spot

Defensivly .. we need help for future and depth. Our front guys are set..LB is a big need because Bruschi struggled..Bruschi-Vrabel are older(Bruschi pondered retirement), Colvin-Thomas arent young..they are what..29-30

Samuel has spoken out..hes asking for way too much .. Hobbs is a good player and hopefully breaks out this year..Wilson is an FA after this season..Harrison is old, injury prone and close to retirment..Hawkins isnt young and hes slow and cannot be anything more than a solid backup..Gay is injury prone..we havent seen him in awhile. Scott is old..retirement is a year or 2 away. Sanders is a good player in box..not a difference maker though. Just a good tackler..decent in coverage..not very athletic.

We have 3 picks in first 91..and im really hoping all 3 go on defense

having a fast, playmaking secondary is more important. Defense wins championships ..remember that

ball control..TOP..clock killing is all good but not every team can be like the Colts where offense does everything and defense blows(regular season that is) Defense is needed..speed..stealing the ball from the other team..preventing TDs.putting PAIN into the offense's hearts!

Kevin Faulk is 31..? Well Harrison gonna be 34..Hawkins will be 30 .. Chad Scott will be 32..Tory James is 34..Bruschi will be 34..Vrabel will be 32..Thomas is gonna be 30

we spent last years draft and a lot of this years off season into offense
-Maroney,Thomas, Jackson, Stallworth,Welker,Washington, Morris

why would we carry so many RBs this year? Maroney, Faulk..Evans resigned..why would we sign Morris to a 1 mill + contract if we werent gonna use him?

last year we carried Dillon,Maroney,Faulk,Evans and Pass came off PUP.

this year we have Maroney, Faulk, Morris, Evans and Mills coming off IR

Morris signed for a what..$1.3 mill contract? He plays RB..filled in well for Ronnie..played FB few years ago so he can be on the field..(so hes like Pass in a way expect Pass was a FB then TB) . Morris is also a top ST contributor which is a plus because versatility and saves us a roster spot

Defensivly .. we need help for future and depth. Our front guys are set..LB is a big need because Bruschi struggled..Bruschi-Vrabel are older(Bruschi pondered retirement), Colvin-Thomas arent young..they are what..29-30

Samuel has spoken out..hes asking for way too much .. Hobbs is a good player and hopefully breaks out this year..Wilson is an FA after this season..Harrison is old, injury prone and close to retirment..Hawkins isnt young and hes slow and cannot be anything more than a solid backup..Gay is injury prone..we havent seen him in awhile. Scott is old..retirement is a year or 2 away. Sanders is a good player in box..not a difference maker though. Just a good tackler..decent in coverage..not very athletic.

We have 3 picks in first 91..and im really hoping all 3 go on defense

Hey, I want D with the first two picks too, believe me.

I'm just saying I wouldn't chew my face off if they took Lynch.

Hey, I want D with the first two picks too, believe me.

I'm just saying I wouldn't chew my face off if they took Lynch.

well Lynch doesnt give us anything new really. Yes having 2 guys like Maroney would be great but thats not what makes a 2 back system very good..if we do 2 backs i want a power guy like we had in Dillon(Tony Hunt is a perfect replacment) and a speed/all around guy in Maroney.

only way i want a RB in round 1 is Peterson because hes unbelievable talent but Lynch isnt all that special and i rather have defense over a RB early on. We cna still get a very good RB later on..Booker..Hunt..Jackson..could be therei n round 3

well Lynch doesnt give us anything new really. Yes having 2 guys like Maroney would be great but thats not what makes a 2 back system very good..if we do 2 backs i want a power guy like we had in Dillon(Tony Hunt is a perfect replacment) and a speed/all around guy in Maroney.

only way i want a RB in round 1 is Peterson because hes unbelievable talent but Lynch isnt all that special and i rather have defense over a RB early on. We cna still get a very good RB later on..Booker..Hunt..Jackson..could be therei n round 3

You don't have to argue me out of picking Lynch; I wouldn't. Just saying I could live with it.

And I have to disagree that Lynch isn't special. He was a top RB recruit in the nation; and in fact, was all but locked up at USC, but at the last minute didn't commit because he didn't like the fact that SC brass leaked that he was going when they said they would keep it quiet.

Had he played at SC instead of Cal he would very well be a top 10 pick (if not better.)

I think he will have a solid pro career.

Last edited:
AP wud b the only back i wud be happy with in the first round

I would be very happy with a day 1 RB whatever the round is. These Maroney kool-aid drinkers need to wake up and smell the roses. The Pats need another option since Maroney has not proven himselft yet.

I do hope Maroney is everything some of you think he will be and he did show great flashes, but.....IMHO, we are not set at RB yet....not even close.

I think we should look for a decent RB in the 3rd or 4th. I want De in the 1st like most but I think we could use another good RB, stockpile.

I think we should look for a decent RB in the 3rd or 4th. I want De in the 1st like most but I think we could use another good RB, stockpile.

DE? whats wrong with Seymour-Warren-Green?

The analysis seems to be that since we interviewed two running backs that we are interested in one of them in the first round. The only running backs I see us picking in the first round are Lynch or Leonard. The others are for the 3rd (with a possible trade up)

I will be shocked and disappointed if they take a RB in the 1st or 2nd round, but I will trust the decision.

I wouldn't mind seeing LB, DB, LB, RB, LB, DB, LB in this draft.

We certainly don't need a punter.

Someone please explain this "need' for us to be looking at RBs, especially in the first day. Have the Pats suddenly gotten dispensation from the 53 roster limitation. Here are some facts that most of you seem to forget

1. there is a 53 man roster limitation

2. The Pats already have 4 guys (Moroney, Morris, Evans, & Faulk) who are LOCKS to be on that roster.

3. They also have a kid they've invested time in Mills as a FB/HB player.

4. Over the last few season the Pats have often kept only 4 RBs on the roster.

5. At MOST the Pats will keep 5 RB/FB/HB on the roster

All those facts being true, just where would you put the RB you all are pimping in this thread...on the PS?

For whatever reason, BB has decided that Sammy Morris is going to be the 2nd back in this offense....PERIOD. He might not meet OUR profile of who that 2nd back should be, but he fits BB's. ;)

The only RB I can possibly see is a late 2nd day pick who will end up on the PS. If the Pats DO take a 3rd or 4th round RB, then I can only surmise that Mills is toast if there are no TE injuries

I would be very happy with a day 1 RB whatever the round is. These Maroney kool-aid drinkers need to wake up and smell the roses. The Pats need another option since Maroney has not proven himselft yet.

I do hope Maroney is everything some of you think he will be and he did show great flashes, but.....IMHO, we are not set at RB yet....not even close.

Excuse my language but you have to give him a ******* chance. He split carries with Corey Dillon, they were going to throw a rookie RB to the wolves. He learned alot from Dillon and WILL become a full time feature, PROBOWL running back. So maybe you should wake up and smell the "kool-aid" and realize THAT HARRISON AND BRUSCHI MAY BE DONE NEXT SEASON. Then what, oh yeah that early draft pick you wanted to use on a RB that we already have instead of a good saftey of a WILB....

^exactly..

Maroney hasnt proven himsefl..well hes never gonna prove himself if he keeps splitting. wow..common sense please

Excuse my language but you have to give him a ******* chance. He split carries with Corey Dillon, they were going to throw a rookie RB to the wolves. He learned alot from Dillon and WILL become a full time feature, PROBOWL running back. So maybe you should wake up and smell the "kool-aid" and realize THAT HARRISON AND BRUSCHI MAY BE DONE NEXT SEASON. Then what, oh yeah that early draft pick you wanted to use on a RB that we already have instead of a good saftey of a WILB....

The problem is that Maroney, not despite splitting carries as yourself, Remix, and others state, but even with splitting carries with Dillon has not proved himself.
The difference is that he wasn't forced to take a year long beating, game in and game out. This most definitely keeps RB's fresher. Yet even with sharing carries, he couldn't impress everybody that he can be "The Man". All Pats fans hope he can be, but he has not proven it yet to a large number of Pats fans, myself included obviously. That is why a significant number of Pats fans want a day 1 RB. I don't feel comfortable with the RB rotation we have now, especially since Maroney couldn't get through the season uninjured despite sharing carries last year. What makes those of you ready to annoint Maroney so sure that he can make it through the year carrying 25 times a game?

If you crap in one hand and wish in the other, see which hand fills up first.

As far as Teddy's last season, I'm pretty sure it will be but although I would love to see a day 1 LB, I, like everybody else writing opinions here, will have to trust the Pat's braintrust for the choices. And after the draft, there will be a lot of rationalizing here as we look at the draft with Patriot colored glasses.

The problem is that Maroney, not despite splitting carries as yourself, Remix, and others state, but even with splitting carries with Dillon has not proved himself.
The difference is that he wasn't forced to take a year long beating, game in and game out. This most definitely keeps RB's fresher. Yet even with sharing carries, he couldn't impress everybody that he can be "The Man". All Pats fans hope he can be, but he has not proven it yet to a large number of Pats fans, myself included obviously. That is why a significant number of Pats fans want a day 1 RB. I don't feel comfortable with the RB rotation we have now, especially since Maroney couldn't get through the season uninjured despite sharing carries last year. What makes those of you ready to annoint Maroney so sure that he can make it through the year carrying 25 times a game?

If you crap in one hand and wish in the other, see which hand fills up first.

As far as Teddy's last season, I'm pretty sure it will be but although I would love to see a day 1 LB, I, like everybody else writing opinions here, will have to trust the Pat's braintrust for the choices. And after the draft, there will be a lot of rationalizing here as we look at the draft with Patriot colored glasses.

Maroney wasnt given a chance to be "the guy" for a whole season because our coaches are smarter than to throw a rookie in there when you have a vet that can still contribute and is being paid a lot.

Maroney did not need to start all year..coaches were comfortable splitting him and Dillon. we cant tell if Maroney can carry it himself yet because his chance if this year and this year hasnt started. I guess Chad Jackson will never be a #1 or #2 WR because he couldnteven get through half a season without injuries..thats just not fair to say. Injuries happen to everyone.

I'd like to see Brandon Jackson taken in the 3rd/4th.

2. The Pats already have 4 guys (Moroney, Morris, Evans, & Faulk) who are LOCKS to be on that roster.

Welker is a lock to make the roster (it would cost the Pats $7M+ next season to cut him). Morris, whose cap hit next year would be only $1.1M, is not really a "lock." [Mind you, I'm not saying he will be cut, merely that he very well could.]

Someone please explain this "need' for us to be looking at RBs, especially in the first day. Have the Pats suddenly gotten dispensation from the 53 roster limitation. Here are some facts that most of you seem to forget

1. there is a 53 man roster limitation

Not trying to be a ****, but what makes you think Evans is a lock? I know they resigned him, but I can't imagine they'd take much of a hit cutting him.

Evans is servicable, but he is upgradable and dispensable.

If they can grab another bigger back to upgrade from him I think they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft