PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: Revis "to hit the market?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realistically, how many good years is Revis going to have left at age 30? Maybe 2?

Other than the Colts (maybe), how many potential contenders are out there that have the cap space to entice Revis away and have a realistic shot at winning it all in the next two years?

I really don't see the point of Revis going back to the Jets other than to screw the Pats.

Revis is a very smart business guy...he already knows his value and what teams will be willing to pay. He doesn't need FA to know what the Jets will pay (in the ball park) and others

Apparently you didn't read about the way McCourty's negotiations went down. The Patriots "best offer" was not their best offer; their best offer came when forced with the reality of losing him and realizing they either pay or it's over. I'm sure teams are breaking the rules, but in the off-chance they are not, Revis is only allowed to speak to the Patriots right now; they have not yet officially declined his option, so he is still a member of the team and not a free agent or a pending free agent. You leverage teams when you put them in do-or-die situations, having them come up and up and up based on the idea that if they fail to, they're out. That situation can only exist when more than one team is involved in dynamic negotiations.

Apparently you didn't read about the way McCourty's negotiations went down. The Patriots "best offer" was not their best offer; their best offer came when forced with the reality of losing him and realizing they either pay or it's over. I'm sure teams are breaking the rules, but in the off-chance they are not, Revis is only allowed to speak to the Patriots right now; they have not yet officially declined his option, so he is still a member of the team and not a free agent or a pending free agent.
And the Eagles of course didn't give McCourty an offer because that would be prohibited according to the legal tampering guidelines ;). Gotta love this stuff. Somebody is eventually going to be hit hard for tampering and I hope it isn't us.

And the Eagles of course didn't give McCourty an offer because that would be prohibited according to the legal tampering guidelines ;). Gotta love this stuff. Somebody is eventually going to be hit hard for tampering and I hope it isn't us.

Why in the world would it be us? The Pats haven't en linked with any specific contract talks to anyone at all.

McCourty's situation was different; teams were allowed to submit offer proposals to pending free agents. McCourty was a pending free agent, while Revis is not at the moment. The Eagles were allowed to send McCourty an outline of a contract, which he could then use in negotiating with the Patriots, who at that time are the only team with the power to actually sign him.

It is a pretty dumb, impossible line that the NFL has created in this "legal tampering period," but basically it just means that during time, you can send offer proposals but can't actually speak to the player or officially agree to a deal. This is why the Dolphins are in hot water, since they have essentially already agreed to a deal with Suh.

I wonder if this was the plan all along last minute deal to keep McCourty now last minute deal to keep Revis. If it happens this might be the best N.E. Patriots FA period ever suspence and intrigue.

Realistically, how many good years is Revis going to have left at age 30? Maybe 2?

Other than the Colts (maybe), how many potential contenders are out there that have the cap space to entice Revis away and have a realistic shot at winning it all in the next two years?

I really don't see the point of Revis going back to the Jets other than to screw the Pats.

I posted the following last night:

Champ Bailey was an All-Pro at age 32. Same with Deion Sanders.

Charles Woodson was an All-Pro 3 times, at age 32, 33 & 34.

Man, there's no leaks at all on this.
That's either a neutral or good sign. If he's decided to go, it's only in his interest to get that information out there both to pressure the Pats into going over their max offer and get the other teams revved up.

b5784309c1764778db256eb6c7788b08a1adf415aa504303d77fae9b6e260446.jpg

McCourty's situation was different; teams were allowed to submit offer proposals to pending free agents. McCourty was a pending free agent, while Revis is not at the moment. The Eagles were allowed to send McCourty an outline of a contract, which he could then use in negotiating with the Patriots, who at that time are the only team with the power to actually sign him.

It is a pretty dumb, impossible line that the NFL has created in this "legal tampering period," but basically it just means that during time, you can send offer proposals but can't actually speak to the player or officially agree to a deal. This is why the Dolphins are in hot water, since they have essentially already agreed to a deal with Suh.
You can't send offers to pending free agents either. NFL sent out multiple memos stating that. The guidelines are written weird in a way that makes it sound like you can make offers but there is a rule in there that says you cannot make an offer.

Someone in the Browner thread posted that Mike Reiss believes the Patriots could dump Browner because without Revis they would play much less press coverage. I hate to believe it, but it sure sounds logical to me. Patriots typically play zone when their cover corners are not great and man press when they are solid. Maybe it is a precaution because they don't know if Revis will re-sign or not, or maybe it means Revis isn't coming back. Not saying it is true, but it sure would be the most logical explanation for why they would let go of Browner for a seemingly good market value.

This is making me sick to my stomach. I just cant picture this secondary without revis and knowing our d line is average at best.

This is making me sick to my stomach. I just cant picture this secondary without revis and knowing our d line is average at best.

Man up. They're negotiating as we speak. New England's wants Revis bad and Revis wants New England to come up bad. They will come to an agreement.

NFLN just threw to commercial with:

"And where's Darelle Revis going to go? A little bit more than a half hour until it can become official..."

Umm, that doesn't sound good.

This defense can go from good to crap very quickly

Okay, they're back...

Rappaport has nothing - they were talking about Suh. A-holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes