PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Nnamdi Asomugha on trading block

Status
Not open for further replies.
A video on Fox states that a fire sale may be on, but he doesn't specifically say whether Asomugha is on the block or not.

In any case, if the contract is affordable for other teams, then it raises two questions: (1) Can the Raiders afford to eat the signing bonus this year if they trade him? (2) How much is Crazy Al going to ask to do so?

I'd be thunderstruck if Asomugha goes anywhere in the next two years.

I can't see Asomugha part of that fire sale, but who knows. Unfortunately for the Raiders, they don't have much that anyone would want. Other than Asomugha, Seymour, and Ellis; who do you want from their team. I can't see them trading away Seymour after giving up a first rounder for him especially since no one will give them close to that in return.

Maybe Kirk Morrison who is a pretty good MLB, but can he play the 3-4 because otherwise we wouldn't want him.

Tommy Kelly would be interesting if he didn't have a crazy salary.

Maybe try to get Darren McFadden on the cheap and hope his bad production thus far is the crappy o-line he runs behind.

Zach Miller is a pretty good receiving TE, but being only 23, the Raiders would be stupid to dump one of the only good offensive talents they have who still could play another 5--10 years.

Other than those players, I don't see much that anyone would want.

Per Jay Glazer, this is from another forum.

Lets give the Raiders our 1st, the 1st next year that they traded seymour for, and one of our DB's, i mean holy crap.

They should take a third and be happy we are willing to take on that contract

Say the Pats trade for this guy, great! Will he be that effective if the Pats continue to play their guys 5-10 yards off of the line of scrimmage 90+% of the time? The day they signed Bodden and Springs, I thought those days were over. As many people on this board pointed out, when the Pats played heavy press coverage, the Broncos offense couldn't do much.

In the end, it would be great to have him, but I'd rather try to swing a trade for a stud pass rusher (which is probably not going to happen).

Last edited:
Say the Pats trade for this guy, great! Will he be that effective if the Pats continue to play their guys 5-10 yards off of the line of scrimmage 90+% of the time? The day they signed Bodden and Springs, I thought those days were over. As many people on this board pointed out, when the Pats played heavy press coverage, the Broncos offense couldn't do much.

In the end, it would be great to have him, but I'd rather try to swing a trade for a stud pass rusher (which is probably not going to happen).

samuel played 5-10 yerd's off of the WR and he still averaged 5 INT a season

and we all agree that Asomugha is a better corner

but i still dont think they will trade for him

samuel played 5-10 yerd's off of the WR and he still averaged 5 INT a season

and we all agree that Asomugha is a better corner

but i still dont think they will trade for him

You're right about Samuel, but because he was a route jumper, he gave up a lot of plays. My point is, you can play 5-10 yards off and jump routes if you're team has a great pass rush. The Pats do not and teams will continue to throw those hitch and stop routes on the Pats if they continue to show the same coverage.

So uh, is there a legimiate link to this rumor yet?

Only source to this story is some kid from the IGN message board topic this references.

You're right about Samuel, but because he was a route jumper, he gave up a lot of plays. My point is, you can play 5-10 yards off and jump routes if you're team has a great pass rush. The Pats do not and teams will continue to throw those hitch and stop routes on the Pats if they continue to show the same coverage.

Samuel had a knack for guessing on routes and was very good at concealing his jump.

However at the end of the day, no scheme and no secondary can cover everybody for five plus seconds, which is what BB asks our secondary to do because we have no consistent pass rush and no pass rusher that makes the offense nervous.

May as well trade the 1st rounders for him

We all know BB sure as hell isn't gonna use them! :rolleyes:

Kind of like the Philly OF who dropped the potential out in the 9th against the Dodgers. Sure the Phillies could've found another way to win, but they had already found an easy way to win.

FWIW it was the Cardinals, not the Phillies who dropped the fly ball...
Very OT but if you think NFL refereeing is bad, you haven't seen baseball this fall. Even the Philly sportswriters are commenting that the Phillies are getting every single call and some very bad ones at that.....

Back to Asomugha, if the Raiders were to trade him to NE (which I don't see happening unless he were willing to take a major pay cut to fit under the cap which would cause the union to stroke out) I honestly think that the league would step in at that point. It would probably appoint what courts call a 'guardian ad litem" to look out for the interests of those too young or incompetent to know what's going on. Come to think of it, it really does describe the Raiders.....

Sigh....

Peppers wasn't coming here and neither is Asomugha.

This team will never go HUGE numbers for ONE player like other teams do

As long as Belichick remains in charge of this team we will continue to look for bargains and hope that marquee players that we do want will play for less than other teams are offering.

BB obviously looks down the cap road more often than most

If Asomugha signs with another team there won't be a 1 year contract,He probably will demand long term

Last edited:
I say we trade Pees for Asomugha.

He's already gotten some of his money, so that might ease the pain a bit. I'd give up one of the two 2011 #1s pick plus the lowest of next season's #2s without hesitation.

I think BB would rather give up a 2010 1st than a 2011 1st based upon him choosing to take the 11 instead of 10 for Seymour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft