PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Nnamdi Asomugha on trading block

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe a first and a good lineman...Mankins?

Asante definitely made a lot of plays. But I never thought he was worth the big money. For one thing, the majority of his INTs were against crappy QBs. He often got them in bunches. Rarely did he make a big play against a big opponent, unless you count division opponents vs. some pretty bad QBs. His INT history shows this:

2006: 10 INTs. 3 vs. Chicago (Rex Grossman), 2 vs. Tennessee (Vince Young), 2 vs. Miami (against the great Joey Harrington), 1 each vs. Detroit, Houston, Buffalo.
2007: 6 INTs. 2 vs. Philly (against A.J. Feeley), 1 each vs. Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Washington.

With Philly, he hasn't had as many INTs, though at least he picked Big Ben, Tony Romo, and then-rookie Matt Ryan.

2008: 4 INTs. 1 each from Dallas, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and Cleveland.
2009: 3 INTs. 1 vs. Carolina (Jake Delhomme is serving them up), 2 vs. Tampa.

There's nothing wrong with making picks against crappy QBs. And it's obviously much more difficult to pick a good QB. I'm just saying his rep as a big-time playmaker doesn't hold up. More often, he padded his stats against inferior competition and didn't do much when the big lights were on.

OT: How many have we had this year against the likes of Trent Edwards, Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco, and Kyle Orton?

On the topic itself, it would be incredible to get Nmadi here. It'll definitely allow Pees and BB the flexibility to have the defense go on jailbreaks more often especially on third and long

Last edited:
getting rid of mankins is an AWFUL idea

Why, seems like mankins has been declining year after year. And at the end of the day he still is playing the most replaceable position on the line at guard.

That would be a dream getting Asomugha...imagine the possibilities...as mentioned by other posters, if the price was right...maybe he would take a little less money to play on a playoff contender. Hell, if I was in Oakland, I would be begging to get out of there...

We had a shut down corner and didnt wanna pay him. Why go out and give up multiple picks for another one (granted a better one) when I actually like the way the secondary has been playing...when we man up.

If Samuel had been a shutdown corner, we'd have had our fourth ring this century.

If Samuel had been a shutdown corner, we'd have had our fourth ring this century.
Shoot, if Asante had held onto Eli's gift we'd have had the greatest season in NFL history, and Eli would still be considered a choker.

We had a shut down corner and didnt wanna pay him. Why go out and give up multiple picks for another one (granted a better one) when I actually like the way the secondary has been playing...when we man up.

Samuel is not quite a shutdown corner. He struggles playing at the LOS, and tends to have to give a big cushion to the receivers... though he mitigates this with great instinctiveness, closing speed, solid tackling, and an ability to occasionally jump those short routes for INTs. He is also much stronger playing one side vs. the other.

Samuel's shortfalls keep him shy of being a shutdown corner... a shutdown corner must be able to play phyical on the LOS and still stay with the receiver. That said, his other talents bring him pretty close to that threshold.

Last edited:
It's beyond ridiculous to blame SB42 loss on Asante. He didn't make one play. There was another 59 minutes and 55 seconds worth of football that the entire team could have.

It's beyond ridiculous to blame SB42 loss on Asante. He didn't make one play. There was another 59 minutes and 55 seconds worth of football that the entire team could have.
The SB 42 loss isn't solely on Asante, but that play really stands out as an easy one to make, and doesn't require the refs to make a call or anything. Everything was there all lined up, no hypotheticals or anything.

Kind of like the Philly OF who dropped the potential out in the 9th against the Dodgers. Sure the Phillies could've found another way to win, but they had already found an easy way to win.

The SB 42 loss isn't solely on Asante, but that play really stands out as an easy one to make, and doesn't require the refs to make a call or anything. Everything was there all lined up, no hypotheticals or anything.

Kind of like the Philly OF who dropped the potential out in the 9th against the Dodgers. Sure the Phillies could've found another way to win, but they had already found an easy way to win.

That would have been a tough catch for a WR to make. For a DB, it would've been a legendary play. Comparing it to missing a flyball is asinine.

May have been posted, here are his salary numbers from rotoworld:
Nnamdi Asomugha

It is confusing, but it looks like that he has very managable numbers for the next 2.5 seasons. The Raiders would take a huge cap hit because of the upfront money.

2/19/2009: Signed a three-year, $45.3 million contract. The first two years, totaling $28.6 million, are fully guaranteed. Another $4.7 million is available through incentives. To keep Asomugha through 2011 the Raiders must pay him either the franchise number for quarterbacks that year OR $16.875 million, whichever number is greater. If the club fails to exercise the option, Asomugha cannot be franchise tagged and will become an unrestricted free agent. 2009: $4.5 million, 2010: $755,000, 2011: $2.105 million (Club Option), 2012: $3.455 million (Voidable Years), 2013: $4.805 million, 2014: $6.155 million, 2015: Free Agent

May have been posted, here are his salary numbers from rotoworld:
Nnamdi Asomugha

It is confusing, but it looks like that he has very managable numbers for the next 2.5 seasons. The Raiders would take a huge cap hit because of the upfront money.

2/19/2009: Signed a three-year, $45.3 million contract. The first two years, totaling $28.6 million, are fully guaranteed. Another $4.7 million is available through incentives. To keep Asomugha through 2011 the Raiders must pay him either the franchise number for quarterbacks that year OR $16.875 million, whichever number is greater. If the club fails to exercise the option, Asomugha cannot be franchise tagged and will become an unrestricted free agent. 2009: $4.5 million, 2010: $755,000, 2011: $2.105 million (Club Option), 2012: $3.455 million (Voidable Years), 2013: $4.805 million, 2014: $6.155 million, 2015: Free Agent

A video on Fox states that a fire sale may be on, but he doesn't specifically say whether Asomugha is on the block or not.

In any case, if the contract is affordable for other teams, then it raises two questions: (1) Can the Raiders afford to eat the signing bonus this year if they trade him? (2) How much is Crazy Al going to ask to do so?

I'd be thunderstruck if Asomugha goes anywhere in the next two years.

He'll end up with the Jets. :eek:

If we're going to focus on one play only as many of you suggest about Asante, then what about Rodney's?? I think it's unfair to pin the blame on any one player for the loss to the Giants. For me, it had much more to do with not making enough adjustments (like more screens) on offense to stymie the Giants aggressive pass rush.

The chances are better that the Patriots may dump a few more of their

starters to the Raiders for 2012 and 2013 draft picks.

Galloway + Brace + Maroney + a 2011 first? might be something Crazy Al bites on, 2 fast players, a big player and a pick :)

If he's available of course ;)

Last edited:
I'd want to wait to see what Tate has to offer before I would pull the trigger on this trade of course, but here's what I would offer...

Joey Galloway + OUR 2011 First Rounder + one of the 2010 second rounders.

The Faiders need some veteran presence at WR and God knows Crazy Al loves speed. They would get our 2011 first rounder, which should be near the bottom of the first round, and one of our multitude of 2010 second rounders. However, that's what I would offer. I'm sure the Patriots could do a better job of robbing Davis for Asomugha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back