PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rules changes from the competition committee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird, FTW disagrees with me i'm shocked.

As a side point, just because you agree with yourself, and some other random MB knuckleheads doesn't by default make you correct.

It just makes you easily led.

Last edited:
Weird, FTW disagrees with me i'm shocked.

As a side point, just because you agree with yourself, and some other random MB knuckleheads doesn't by default make you correct.

It just makes you easily led.

Well, you're welcome to refute the content of my post. Instead, you do this, which makes you a troll (and not a very good one). It's what some people do because they don't have either the brains brains to back up their point or the maturity to admit when they're wrong.

Last edited:
Well, you're welcome to refute the content of my post. Instead, you do this, which makes you a troll (and not a very good one)

I've made my point, i'm not going to sit here and argue with you, neither of us are going to change eachothers minds, especially since you've already labeled me.

We're going to go back and forth saying exactly what we've already said in slightly different ways. Do you seriously want to go that route?

To me it seems like you (and a few others) wont be content until you get your way and get me removed from the boards because we have a difference in opinions.

It's kinda sad really.

IMO football is the most dangerous sport, in your opinion it isn't... What can i possibly say that will change your mind? Nothing, right? Then let's just jump about a million monotonous steps and assume the same is true for me as well.

Last edited:
I've made my point, i'm not going to sit here and argue with you, neither of us are going to change eachothers minds, especially since you've already labeled me.

We're going to go back and forth saying exactly what we've already said in slightly different ways. Do you seriously want to go that route?

To me it seems like you (and a few others) wont be content until you get your way and get me removed from the boards because we have a difference in opinions.

It's kinda sad really.

IMO football is the most dangerous sport, in your opinion it isn't... What can i possibly say that will change your mind? Nothing, right? Then let's just jump about a million monotonous steps and assume the same is true for me as well.

...IT IS quite literally the MOST violent sport. It's a fact...

Seems to be some difference here....

the-thinker.jpg

Last edited:

I've had my mind changed on this forum many times. If you could provide a compelling reason for why football is more dangerous than, say, boxing--a sport where they're given gloves so as not to murder each other, and even then they still do with alarming frequency--I'd definitely like to hear it. Doesn't sound like you can, though, so it's a moot point.

Last edited:
I just don't know if I can satiate my blood lust without the crackback block on vulnerable players...

If violence is the #1 reason you watch football I honestly feel sorry for you

UFC-Just-Bleed-Guy.jpg

I don't get the rationale behind not sending reviews up to the booth

I don't get the rationale behind not sending reviews up to the booth
I don't like the ref being overruled, makes him feel like an ass for no reason. He's just as capable of making the call as the guy in the booth.

Football isn't the most violent sport on earth by a long shot. That's just ridiculous.

As a side point, six boxers have died in the ring in the last five years.

Also, using "they wear helmets and pads" as an example of what makes the sport more brutal, rather than less... yeah, that's a fail.
I agree that boxing is more violent than football, but that won't matter one iota when the NFL is in court defending against lawsuits files by ex-players.

The NFL knows it has to be able to prove in a court of law they did everything they could do to minimize injury so, as much as people hate to hear this, these stricter rules just aren't going away.

I agree that boxing is more violent than football, but that won't matter one iota when the NFL is in court defending against lawsuits files by ex-players.

The NFL knows it has to be able to prove in a court of law they did everything they could do to minimize injury so, as much as people hate to hear this, these stricter rules just aren't going away.

Agreed- that point wasn't intended to be relevant to the impending lawsuits. Just a specific response to a pretty crazy assertion that someone made on this thread.

Personally, I don't hate to hear that the stricter rules aren't going away. Given all that we're learning about brain trauma resulting from even "incidental" (in football terms) hits to the head, I want to see the game adapt further. Maybe some people forget, but football wasn't always the game that it is today. A lot of the innovations that made the game what it is today came about due to concerns surrounding player safety. If football has to evolve some more to prevent widespread brain damage to its players, then so be it.

Last edited:
I'm honestly trying to tell you that there's a difference between a sport where the objective is physical injury, and a sport where physical injury is an inevitable side effect for some participants.

You claimed that American football is:

I disagreed with your reasoning. First off, a great many sports require protective headgear. If, as you say, protective gear requirements are a sign of brutality, then does the incredible violence of rugby, with its high injury rates, somehow not count? Is bare-knuckle boxing less brutal than boxing with gloves?

In your response, you suggested that death rate instead is the true marker of brutality. In that case, pole vaulting and surfing are far, far more brutal than, say, peaceable kickboxing.

I've never claimed that tackle football isn't violent, that would be silly. I'm just saying that unlike gladiator fights, football's objective isn't injury -- and that matters enormously in how you structure the rules.

Tell that to the Saints.

And, other teams had bounty programs. Its been going on for years. You want to keep NE from reaching the post season? Take out Brady.

I don't like the ref being overruled, makes him feel like an ass for no reason. He's just as capable of making the call as the guy in the booth.

I disagree...and I think,( for whatever reason Goodell has) that keeping replay in the hands of an official on the field , who has to walk to the replay booth, run the replay,re-run it to make sure on finer points and then return to the field for his ruling creates MORE advertising revenue spots, will lengthen the game and inundate us with repeating signal "Charter Oaks Federal Credit Union" commercials every gd'd time a replay is called for.

Put an official, a ref, in a dedicated replay box...have him relay the results to the ref on the field...what the fack is the problem???????????????????????? Rotate the refs on a per game basis...I don't get it...they don't want THIS???...once again, it all points to that white collar supercriminal in the Commissioner's office.

Unless the wording that's gone out was poorly done, the turnover review just repeats the error with last year's review of all touchdowns, in that it screws the guy who wants to argue that it was (a TD or turnover) and not the guy who's benefited from the called TD/turnover.

Additionally, it seems that the 'fix' for the goal line/TD issue wasn't done properly since, according to the wording I've seen so far, it's only endzone plays, and not plays that one team thinks was an endzone play (i.e. TD/Safety), but that the officials ruled otherwise (i.e. down inside the one yard line).

Hopefully the public language is just a bad explanation of the changes.

Hopefully the public language is just a bad explanation of the changes.

in the real world...yes, hopefully...in Goodell World...well..we only have to look back as far as that meat headed erroneous memo back in 2006, the repercussions of which are STILL being felt every time anybody in the league steps on his own d!ck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore