PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rotoworld: Vikings interested in Gaffney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: newest information regarding gaffney.

I think Drew Rosenhaus is pissed because the Pats took play time (read: money time) from Stallworth and gave it to Gaffney down the stretch. Stallworth was Rosenhaus' big money guy as WR. Now he's trying to screw the Pats in the Gaffney negotiations as payback.

Yeah, Rosenhaus is probably really upset about the nice commission he just made of Stallworth's big deal. What makes him more mad I'm sure is that Gaffney's use in NE last year probably makes him more attractive as an UFA than he could ever dreamed of going into the year.

Yeah, Rosenhaus is probably really upset about the nice commission he just made of Stallworth's big deal. What makes him more mad I'm sure is that Gaffney's use in NE last year probably makes him more attractive as an UFA than he could ever dreamed of going into the year.

Rosenhaus was hoping for a lot more than he got for Stallworth. If Stallworth had kept up his pre-bye production pace up he would have had over 900 yards receiving, and made Bernard Berrian money. Stallworth lost a tremendous amount because of Gaffney's ascendance. So think again.

Rosenhaus was hoping for a lot more than he got for Stallworth. If Stallworth had kept up his pre-bye production pace up he would have had over 900 yards receiving, and made Bernard Berrian money. Stallworth lost a tremendous amount because of Gaffney's ascendance. So think again.

If Stallworth proves himself in NE, the Pats likely keep him because his production would equal pay. Rosenhaus doesn't get to negotiate the new deal. He gets the old one which is not really any different than what he has now.

He's so mad at the Pats, his other Pats free agent Larry Izzo resigned with them.

Well they let Assante go

Gay Stallworth and Colvin are gone

Moss and Gaffney are right now at best in Limbo

I dont think they are throwing the whole money at Ty Law or Jason Webster:D

FA is three days old, and its not over by a long shot.. But its not off to a great start, and hopefully Belichick is not down with Parcells watchin Cardnials baseball.. I think by next week it will be different

Perhaps they are stock piling dollars to get D.Hall from the Falcons? Honestly, he has more talent than Assante and played on a bad team in 07. Yes, a little fiery. The new GM might help us out. Maybe that is why they made no attempt to grab Florence or resign Gay or curiously are not mentioned in the latest talks with Sheppard. It's obvious they cannot go without a CB pick up. Webster might be taking the Chad Scott/ Randall Gay role. I also think they feel IR'd CB Mike Richardson may be a player as they buried him with a weak "hand" injury last season.
They resign Randy, get Hall, pick up ILB Dan Morgan as has been mentioned (still young and maybe damaged but cheap. Worth a shot) or Al Wilson (Speed!) and the pick up the available Cowboy LB Bobby Carpenter who could be another Vrabel story (newer, better Izzo at the least).....I would take that. Hall and Randy would be the big dollars. It would be a good FA season with a few nice picks in the draft like safety, back up CB and another LB (oh yeah, an WR).
DW Toys

If Stallworth proves himself in NE, the Pats likely keep him because his production would equal pay. Rosenhaus doesn't get to negotiate the new deal. He gets the old one which is not really any different than what he has now.

He's so mad at the Pats, his other Pats free agent Larry Izzo resigned with them.

Izzo has a long term relationship with the team. His signing proves nothing. The Pats were never going to pick up Stallworth's deal, and the decision to move away from Stallworth and toward Gaffney was an indication of their future intentions during the year. Stallworth was playing all year for a contract elsewhere, and the Pats' tactics cost him about 10 million dollars. I'm not saying Rosenhaus will carry a grudge for the rest of his life, but he's pushing back a little to let the Pats know he's not a push over to be taken advantage of in the future.

thats what im wondering, they must be saying money for someones especially with cutting colvin, i think they have something up thier sleve.

It's very simple what they're thinking.

Moss with Brady throwing to him is a $10 million player.

Mos with anyone else (excluding Manning and Favre) is a $6 million player.

Gaffney with Brady throwing to him is a $2 million player.

Gaffney with anyone not named Brady throwing to him is hanging out with Reche Caldwell.

And that's exactly what the Patriots braintrust is thinking.

I think I would take moss over johnson.. would take them both, but I rather have Moss.

I'd rather have Chad Johnson.

For a variety of reasons.

One, he's younger.

Two, he's full out on the football field.

Three, he will go over the middle. He fits Brady's game better.

On Chad Johnson's wikipedia page, there was this:

On March 2, 2008, Rumors were amid that infact the New England Patriots were not instrested in brining back Randy Moss because they were engaged in trade talks with the Cincinnati Bengals about a trade for Chad Johnson. The early reports from the AP say the Pats will give up a 2nd and 3rd round pick from this upcoming draft and a 2nd round pick in 09' to aquire the disgruntled Johnson.

If there's one guy that can minimize the loss of Moss, it's Chad Johnson. I have a weird feeling Randy and CJ will both be in a Pats uniform, or at least one or the other. No way BB and SP do this to Brady again(2006).

Not that I am quick to believe a Wikipedia entry, but I think I may rather have Johnson. Eventhough there isn't much of an age difference between him and Moss, he seems far more durable. He also played three less years and may be able to extend his career longer.

I

I'd rather have Chad Johnson.

For a variety of reasons.

One, he's younger.

Two, he's full out on the football field.

Three, he will go over the middle. He fits Brady's game better.

I agree with most of them, but Johnson and Moss are only a year apart age-wise. I don't know if age is much of a factor, but Moss has three more years playing which could be a factor in wear and tear.

Last edited:
Three picks (including two No. 2's) for one guy? No thanks.

I actually like Gaffney, and would like to have him back, if anything for some continuity in the offense.

I thought Stallworth was the more talented receiver, and wondered why he wasn't on the field more, but if the rumors about his not fully understanding the offense/routes NE employs are true, then I can fully understand the playing time NE gave him down the stretch. I do question that rumor though, since the Eagles and other people from the NFL have said his ability to pick up a new playbook was outstanding, and he spent a large portion of his early time in NE studying his playbook. Also, Route running is supposed to be one of Stallworth's strengths, and he's a quick twitch athlete with very good agility. I also thought that Stallworth got open more often than some of us might realize, since Welker or Moss were also open on the same play, and Brady almost developed some type of favoritism with Moss toward the end of the season (tried going to him when he was covered a few different times even though Stallworth was wide open). It would be hard not to favor a WR of Randy's ability though.

One of the things I've come to believe is that it was more of Randy Moss taking snaps away from Stallworth, then Gaffney taking them away. Stallworth is more similar to Randy in terms of playing style, and receiver type, then he is to Gaffney. I think the Patriots had two field stretchers with speed, and they wanted to keep Moss on the field almost all the time (he played a ridiculous amount of snaps), while they also wanted to have an edge possession receiver (Gaffney) on the field for portions of the game. This is why I was actually really hoping they would bring Stallworth back as security against Moss leaving. Because, I thought he would perform better in the offense if given another year to adjust, and more snaps to show what he could do.

My personal opinion is that Gaffney's a decent 2/3a WR, and fits in well if there are better receivers to take coverage away from him, and he shouldn't be expected to stretch the field for you. Obviously, it would be nice if the Patriots could retain both Randy Moss and Gaffney, but I see Gaffney as less important if they can simply retain Moss. Part of the reason for that thinking is I believe Chad Jackson can still develop into a very good WR, and I think he has some possession WR ability (he played out of the slot his final year at Florida, catching 88 passes), to go along with his field stretching ability. I also think NE could sign someone like Marty Booker to replace Gaffney, and it doesn't seem like Booker would cost very much, but who knows with this market.

I'm just curious, but realistically what do you think is a reasonable price for Gaffney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back