PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RotoWorld Rumor: Patriots interested in Calvin Pace along with 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTH????

He's a LB not a CB.

Calvin_and_Hobbes_comics_cartoons_f.jpg

That's assuming neither Seau nor Bruschi retire. Regardless, if it's at all possible, I would prefer to have neither starting for us this season.

Pace/Thomas/Hobson/Vrabel

Thomas/Pace/Hobson/Vrabel

Mmm.........
That does look good. Regarding Bru/Seau, putting them in parentheses was supposed to make them look like maybes but it didn't really come across that way.

Nice. If we sign Pace, then we don't need to draft OLB. We could just pick up a very good ILB in the 2nd-3rd round range, and use our 1st round pick for a stud corner to replace Asante.

Absolutely. Or pick up Gholston and give him a year or two to learn the ropes. The draft is deep with CBs so there should be good ones available in the 2nd round. Either way, things are looking good. Thomas inside along with Seau/Bruschi, Vrabel/Pace/Ghoston on the outside. This team would be a sacking machine, with better coverage inside with Thomas. A good rookie CB opposite Hobbs. I like how that looks.

PFnV will be very happy to hear this.

Calvin Pace, Calvin Pace, and morever, Calvin Pace.

While it's not a done Calvin Pace, or a Calvin Pace dunk, it certainly Calvin Paces like we might just Calvin Pace Calvin Pace.

Calvin Pace,

PFnV

If Pace is slow then you want him inside, No? Thomas is fast so he would stay outside.

I could see a OLB rotation of Gholston, Vrabel and Thomas. The only caveat is that the ILB's call the defensive adjustments and therefore should be Vets in BB's defense. But, perhaps with Capers aggressive LBing style everyone will more or less be starting on the same page.

I never followed the guy to be honest, Anyone can give any details?

What also is interesting is the fact that the Patriots saw Pace flourish in a 3-4 system that is built very similar to ours from Whisenhunt implanting it last year. Ken W was a Steelers coach for years if you dont recall.

What exactly is similar, other than having 3 DL and 4 LBs? The Steelers are not similar, either.

By the guys -- on the Pats, almost everybody in the Front Seven seems to be a current or former DE.

The DEs are all DEs.
The NTs are all tried at DE. Most new DL on the Pats play DT/NT first, then DE (e.g., Seymour, Warren, Green, Wright).
The OLBs are usually converted DEs.
Bruschi was a DE. Possibly Phifer too, back in the day.

If BB had his way, the defense would consist of 7 DEs and 6 safeties, selected according to down/distance.

By the guys -- on the Pats, almost everybody in the Front Seven seems to be a current or former DE.

The DEs are all DEs.
The NTs are all tried at DE. Most new DL on the Pats play DT/NT first, then DE (e.g., Seymour, Warren, Green, Wright).
The OLBs are usually converted DEs.
Bruschi was a DE. Possibly Phifer too, back in the day.

If BB had his way, the defense would consist of 7 DEs and 6 safeties, selected according to down/distance.

Better yet--if he could get away with 11 DEs, he'd do it. Well, that, or two CBs lined up wide at the LOS and nine NTs roaming the secondary. :D

Seriously, though, that's a great point, and I'd never really thought of it that way.

It's worth noting that Gholston apparently absolutely blew up at the combine- apparently he showed defensive-line strength and defensive-back speed, according to Don Banks

I think the Pats are better off with Pace. Gholston would be great, but I think Pace could be signed for a good price. Lets use that draft pick on a Corner or Tackle.

Hello. Move Pace inside, Gholston on the outside.

Vrabel-Thomas-Pace-Gholston

Got speed?

It's worth noting that Gholston apparently absolutely blew up at the combine- apparently he showed defensive-line strength and defensive-back speed, according to Don Banks

He looks like a monster...an OLB beast. If I were BB and I saw his workout and film...I'd don't know if I'd be trading the #7.

Maybe Gholston could be this year's Patrick Willis?

What are lb's of Pace's caliber getting these days?
Do the 49ers have that much more cap room than the Pats considering the other people they're gong after?

Man, that Larry Fitzgerald deal is effing the Cards.

guess where this rumor came from ??

check the herald blog for tomase's nugget on pace.

all these media outlets source each other and call it rumors.

We'll see what the market says about Pace. Tough call. He was a so-so defensive end, and turned into a very good OLB, really came into his own when he stood up. Great measureables, great stats (for that one year)... but (you could say,) not a lot of history at the position; ergo, teams that pay for gigantic big names (hello, Mr. Snyder...?) might not think too much of him. It also suggests some risk, but the sky's the limit on the upside.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back