PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Romo knows whats up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sick of it, im sick off this test for NE against dalls talk. Test nothing, the only test will be to see how fast cowboy fans can get out of the staduim to aviod seeing the 5th td pass by a REAL qb.

I'm sorry, I just hate tony romo. I like favre, I respect payton, but I hate tony romo and the fact that he is already being talked about as a great qb. I just wanna smack him so hard that his stupid hat turns around on his ugly head.

Dude, the Cowboys have a damn good defense.
Let's just hope to win the game.

You guys bashing Romo sound like the same idiots who were crapping on Brady after the '01 season.

Seriously, take a step back and look at it. Romo has started just 16 games and has a 94.7 QB rating, including 4400 yds and 32 TDs. Average QBs just don't put up those kind of numbers in their first season off the bench.

If anyone feels like proving me wrong, go back and see how many QBs you can find that threw for over 4000 yds and 30 TDs in their first 16 starts. Should be a fun exercise.

My memory tells me different. My memory was that back in '01 Brady was considered a good manager, like Trent Dilfer the year before him. No one, absolutely no one, outside New England was singing his praises as one of the league's best. Romo has a lot more hype than Brady at a similar point in their careers.

One of Sivy's earlier posts just to show you guys a textbook example of a hypocrisy.

"So, I'm walking out of the store the other day, and someone drives by and yells to me "NEW ENGLAND SUCKS", which alone was strange because I was wearing no patriots gear, and someone still recognized me as a fan...but the point is, how can someone say they suck? I could see if they yelled "**** TH PATS" or something like that just because they dont like them, but saying they suck, is def. a wrong opinion."

Is there any difference in saying I hate Tony Romo and some other guy saying The Patriots suck????

LOL Sivy your welcome to respond.....

Last edited:
Romo is good. Last year I thought he was WAAAY overrated, but he has proven to be great. He isn't an "elite" QB like brady or manning, who have proved themselves over multiple seasons, but he is definitely near the top in the league, and looks like he will continue to do good.

My memory tells me different. My memory was that back in '01 Brady was considered a good manager, like Trent Dilfer the year before him. No one, absolutely no one, outside New England was singing his praises as one of the league's best. Romo has a lot more hype than Brady at a similar point in their careers.

First, Romo is far outperforming Brady statistically in his first year. In either case, Brady was getting a lot of hype back even back then. He received quite a few MVP votes in '01. He sure as heck wasn't flying under the radar.

Second, you must not have been reading too many messageboards back then because the ones I frequent didn't start coming around on Brady until after the 2003 season, and there were tons of haters on this board and elsewhere in '01 and '02.

First, Romo is far outperforming Brady statistically in his first year. In either case, Brady was getting a lot of hype back even back then. He received quite a few MVP votes in '01. He sure as heck wasn't flying under the radar.

Second, you must not have been reading too many messageboards back then because the ones I frequent didn't start coming around on Brady until after the 2003 season, and there were tons of haters on this board and elsewhere in '01 and '02.

One big difference is that Brady plays in the NFL and Romo plays in the NFC......

Statistics, schmasticits. Who cares? Brady was not getting nearly the hype Romo is getting. Heck, Brady didn't even get the Pro Bowl LAST YEAR whereas Romo did. And Brady didn't receive ANY MOVP votes in '01. Not one.

He simply was not overhyped back then at all. No one said he was flying under the radar, but no one was putting him in the upper echelon of QBs either. Heck, the Pitt fans were all pissed that one of their players knocked Brady out of the AFCCG and the better QB came in to replace him.

Average QBs just don't put up those kind of numbers in their first season off the bench.

They do if they have T.O. or Moss, which Brady did not have until now. Not only would Brady have won the Super Bowl with TO or Moss in 2001, but won every game by 7 points more. Brady has never had a player, or even two, who consistently draw two or three defenders every game and open up the field for the others. Pats have also not had a good and healthy RB except in 2004.

Brady replaced a rookie QB who I believe just signed the biggest contract in NFL history, and instead of losing 3 in a row, went all the way.

A similar comparison to Brady would be if Manning's backup took the Colts to a Super Bowl after Manning just signed his biggest contract in NFL history a few years ago. Hard-core fans would be upset that Manning didn't get to start in the Super Bowl, and he'd probably want out of the Colts, but Dungy, the Colts organization, Indiana, and whoever-the-backup-is would be happy with Lombardi.

Last edited:
Statistics, schmasticits. Who cares? Brady was not getting nearly the hype Romo is getting. Heck, Brady didn't even get the Pro Bowl LAST YEAR whereas Romo did. And Brady didn't receive ANY MOVP votes in '01. Not one.

He simply was not overhyped back then at all. No one said he was flying under the radar, but no one was putting him in the upper echelon of QBs either. Heck, the Pitt fans were all pissed that one of their players knocked Brady out of the AFCCG and the better QB came in to replace him.

I guess I was thinking of '03 for the MVP voting.

And, you're wrong. Brady was being hyped HUGE, probably not as much as Romo, but he was sure as heck being hyped up. He was a great story, 6th rd. pick comes in and wins the Super Bowl.

No one is putting Romo up with the upper echelon of QBs either. I haven't heard anyone put him up with Brady and Manning, or even Palmer. Most media people have actually gone out of their way to say he's not on Manning and Brady's level.

Although, the reality is that in the last calender year Romo has played better than every QB not named Manning, Brady or Palmer. He gets a lot of press because he's a good story, just like Brady was.

They do if they have T.O. or Moss, which Brady did not have until now.

Debatable.

PatSunday said:
Not only would Brady have won the Super Bowl with TO or Moss in 2001, but won every game by 7 points more.

Ummm, no. Did you watch the 2001 season?

PatSunday said:
Brady has never had a player, or even two, who consistently draw two or three defenders every game and open up the field for the others. Pats have also not had a good and healthy RB except in 2004.

What the heck does this have to do with anything?

PatSunday said:
Brady replaced a rookie QB who I believe just signed the biggest contract in NFL history, and instead of losing 3 in a row, went all the way.

A similar comparison to Brady would be if Manning's backup took the Colts to a Super Bowl after Manning just signed his biggest contract in NFL history a few years ago. Hard-core fans would be upset that Manning didn't get to start in the Super Bowl, and he'd probably want out of the Colts, but Dungy, the Colts organization, Indiana, and whoever-the-backup-is would be happy with Lombardi.

Actually, that's a terrible comparison. Manning is a 2-time NFL MVP and one of the best QBs of all time. Bledsoe was a career underachiever. Manning wouldn't lose his job no matter how good the backup did.

Actually, that's a terrible comparison. Manning is a 2-time NFL MVP and one of the best QBs of all time. Bledsoe was a career underachiever. Manning wouldn't lose his job no matter how good the backup did.

You really need to look up the definition of "underachiever".

Romo is the real deal, gentlemen, but on a Favre template, not a Brady template. The damn mediots have said it often enough, he grew up watching Favre and idolizing him. Not a bad idol to have, just not the cloth our own beloved Pats are cut from. And say what you want, the "gunslinger mentality" we hear so much about results in a few wretched games, along with some gems.

We're likely to lose this season (which, by the way, Dallas did not actually manage to do last night.) Your Dallas boards will be abuzz that week, assuming we don't lose on the same night. They almost certainly will explain how Romo wouldn't have lost the game Brady did.

Maybe the jury is still out on the kid, but to my eye it looks like he's "got it."

I say, forgive him the "but" and credit him for saying "I know the Patriots are doing it."

Honestly, I'm enjoying the week-in, week-out dominance over the weak teams. I'd love to see more of the same against Dallas. I think it'll be tougher than that though, if we win it at all.

Surprised? Hey there is a chance Dallas beats us this week. That's why they play the games.

We have a long time until we know how good Romo is. It will be especially instructive to see Romo if he's ever without TO and/or Witten... that will bring his surrounding cast to the level Tom's had for six years prior to this season. But I don't think he's a "flavor of the month" guy.

PFnV

While i do think that Romo seems like decent guy......if you are saying that by "your eye he looks like he's got it"....I think you need some new glasses :0)..........Seriously, the guy threw FIVE picks last night....FIVE!!!!!!!.....If this were any other team other than Buffalo, in which he created tose kind of absent minded professor blunders.....His team would have LOST the freakin game!!!! Think about it....they had NO business winning that game...however Buffalo is so PATHETIC....and their coach is so inept......it did happen......My feeling is that the Pats will win comfortably on Sunday..........with all the looks Romo will be facing....he is bound to make alot of errors

You guys bashing Romo sound like the same idiots who were crapping on Brady after the '01 season.

Seriously, take a step back and look at it. Romo has started just 16 games and has a 94.7 QB rating, including 4400 yds and 32 TDs. Average QBs just don't put up those kind of numbers in their first season off the bench.

If anyone feels like proving me wrong, go back and see how many QBs you can find that threw for over 4000 yds and 30 TDs in their first 16 starts. Should be a fun exercise.

One question....how many times has he faced the Pats during his time in Dallas? How many times facing Indy or the Steelers? Anyone know that?....would be interesting.......

in fairness to Brady we are talking two completely different offensive schemes here......Brady' first years have been shorter...less risky passing routes....this is the first year in his pro carrer that he has had this kind of offensive power where he can get creative....and throw alot of long balls (stretch the field).............Romo in his time there with TO, Witten....even Glenn has been able to do that from the get go......and rack up figures........point is.....ANY QB that throws 5 INT's in a game....is prone to do it again....especially against an ELITE defense...I look for the Pats to win by 10-14 points this weekend.......GO PATS!!!!

While i do think that Romo seems like decent guy......if you are saying that by "your eye he looks like he's got it"....I think you need some new glasses :0)..........Seriously, the guy threw FIVE picks last night....FIVE!!!!!!!.....If this were any other team other than Buffalo, in which he created tose kind of absent minded professor blunders.....His team would have LOST the freakin game!!!! Think about it....they had NO business winning that game...however Buffalo is so PATHETIC....and their coach is so inept......it did happen......My feeling is that the Pats will win comfortably on Sunday..........with all the looks Romo will be facing....he is bound to make alot of errors

Great post! Let's judge all NFL players based on the worst game of their career!!!

:rolleyes:

You really need to look up the definition of "underachiever".

Call him what you want, he couldn't hold Manning's jock. That's the point. No back up is taking Manning's job.

in fairness to Brady we are talking two completely different offensive schemes here......Brady' first years have been shorter...less risky passing routes....this is the first year in his pro carrer that he has had this kind of offensive power where he can get creative....and throw alot of long balls (stretch the field).............Romo in his time there with TO, Witten....even Glenn has been able to do that from the get go......and rack up figures........point is.....ANY QB that throws 5 INT's in a game....is prone to do it again....especially against an ELITE defense...I look for the Pats to win by 10-14 points this weekend.......GO PATS!!!!

This is all I can say to that:

:blahblah:

Call him what you want, he couldn't hold Manning's jock. That's the point. No back up is taking Manning's job.

You keep making stupid comments. Bledsoe was a quarterback putting up Hall of Fame numbers and taking his team to a Super Bowl through the course of his career. He had done more with his team than Manning ever had until last season. He wasn't an underachiever and he was a far better quarterback than you're giving him credit for. Your argument is ridiculous, to put it kindly.

Tony Romo is the FLAVOR of the MONTH. He's Ben Rothli-whateverhisname-is of 06-07. BENNY HILL anyone :rolleyes:

Can you say OVERRATED.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes