PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rod Woodson and Jamie Dukes laugh at Tom Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamie Dukes said....

I stop right there...I already know what a braying jacka$$ sounds like...

I agree, those two are tools. But what I fail to see in all these QB discussions are decade/era adjustments. I don't even know who it helps or hurts. But if pass% is now 57% and was only 53% then, then that must be adjusted for if making direct comparisons. This is why rings is an easy way to judge. Actually a cop-out. As far as I know you can only really compare players within their own era's. Once you do that, you get a good baseline to begin the discussions.

A nice way to compare them is using QB Rating+ which is basically ERA+ adjusted for Quarterbacks. They take a QBs rating and compare it to the league average rating on a season.

Brady's career rating+ is 117, so he's been about 17% better than the league average QB in passer rating throughout his career. Just for a quick comparison, Manning's is 119, Elway's 105, Marino's 113, Favre's 110 and Montana's an astounding 123.

A nice way to compare them is using QB Rating+ which is basically ERA+ adjusted for Quarterbacks. They take a QBs rating and compare it to the league average rating on a season.

Brady's career rating+ is 117, so he's been about 17% better than the league average QB in passer rating throughout his career. Just for a quick comparison, Manning's is 119, Elway's 105, Marino's 113, Favre's 110 and Montana's an astounding 123.

I've got no problem with people thinking Marino was a better QB. Marino actually had many of Brady's attributes. He moved around the pocket incredibly well. You think Tom is stiff? No one was stiffer than Marino. Well, maybe Dan McGwire. But Marino was definitely the master of the pocket.

But Elway? Please.

Rod Woodson played 1 game against Tom Brady in 2002. That year, Tom Brady played with a separated shoulder.

Brady went 18-30 for 182 yards and the Patriots won by a TD.

So, based on that performance, Woodson makes his ridiculous statement.

This was all I was looking for. So, thank you for saving me from filing thru old game logs. Because Jamie Dukes frankly doesnt have a leg to stand on when it comes to this type of discussion. As an NFL analyst, sure, do your job. But in discussing THIS level of player. No. So, it was down to Woodson's opinion for me. And you just made the case. I knew it was much earlier in Brady's career. But ONCE? He faced him once, and is gonna rant like that? That's lame.

Everyone being discussed in the top 50 is off the charts legendary. To single out ONE player, and our player of course, the one every analyst/reporter/mediot just LIVES to discuss, seemingly, and let these two characters have an all-out insult buffet? Extremely, extremely LAME.

the why you judge a QB is not by stats it's about geting in done in the biggest games

joe montana, 4-0 in SB''s

tom brady, 3-1 in SB's

john elway, 2-5 in SB's

dan marino, 0-1 in SB's

how can Tom Brady, not be ranked higher the Marino, he is not even the passing leader any more farve, is and manning, will pass marino, next year to push him to #3 woodson, is crazy

I just think we are ridiculously fortunate to be able to watch Tom Brady and Peyton Manning in their primes. When it's all said and done and their careers are over, we'll be talking about them as two of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, alongside Montana. All this John Elway and Dan Marino talk is a bit nostalgia driven. Like the guys who play now can't approach them because they've pretty much ascended into "legend" territory by now. I think 15 years from now, when people look back, it'll be considered a stretch to talk of Brett Favre, John Elway and Dan Marino in the same breath as Brady and Manning.

Last edited:

Wow. Good stuff. Exactly what I would use to objectively start comparing them.

As far as the Big Game Winner argument goes, I agree it should be given some weight, but you need to remember the is a lot of luck involved in football games, and the QB is just one of 22. Or 45 even. Plus you don't get to pick who you play. That said, those SB's still look good on the HOF resume.

Wow. Good stuff. Exactly what I would use to objectively start comparing them.

As far as the Big Game Winner argument goes, I agree it should be given some weight, but you need to remember the is a lot of luck involved in football games, and the QB is just one of 22. Or 45 even. Plus you don't get to pick who you play. That said, those SB's still look good on the HOF resume.

The "it's a team sport" argument has it's merits, but the quarterback is BY FAR the most important player on the field. So as long as the outcome of the game is as dependent on one guy's play as it is, I think he should take a good part of the credit for the team's success, even more than the other players.

this is laughable. For some reason, the video wont load for me so I cant hear what exactly these two said. But simply looking at John Elway stats made me almost hit the floor. The guys career QB rating is below 80! And his career passing completion is below 57%. I mean, if you want to caulk up wins as a team accomplishment, fine. Its a BS claim, but fine. Then what do you consider stats? Did they even look at Elways stats. Especially his combined SB stats. 76 of 152 50% 1128 yards 3 tds 8 int 59.3 rating. Thats an embarressment.

Same with Marino. His stats are clearly better then Elway, but not Brady. You want to claim Marino is a better passer? Fine, I'll agree with you. But Brady is a better QB.

Last edited:
this is laughable. For some reason, the video wont load for me so I cant hear what exactly these two said. But simply looking at John Elway stats made me almost hit the floor. The guys career QB rating is below 80! And his career passing completion is below 57%. I mean, if you want to caulk up wins as a team accomplishment, fine. Its a BS claim, but fine. Then what do you consider stats? Did they even look at Elways stats. Especially his combined SB stats. 76 of 152 50% 1128 yards 3 tds 8 int 59.3 rating. Thats an embarressment.

Same with Marino. His stats are clearly better then Elway, but not Brady. You want to claim Marino is a better passer? Fine, I'll agree with you. But Brady is a better QB.
it won't load for me either.
at first it's irritating and it drives me nuts how everyone "plays pretend" when it comes to the pats/brady. they purposely ignore stats/facts because they are that bitter and jealous. It's just unreal. The most annoying part of it is that fans of other teams and casual nfl fans hear this crap they spew and then will try to talk to me about it and refer to something that some jackass on TV said.

But regardless, this is good.

b/c it pisses off brady. please continue.

I also hope like hell these two jokers are preparing their rants for when Peyton Manning is revealed as a top 10 all-time player with his career 2TDs and 2INTs in Superbowls. Especially after the way they lit into our guy despite going 7 and 1 in those same two statistical categories. Seriously, a top 10 all time QB has TWO scores against TWO INTs on the ultimate stage, and youre ripping OUR guy? Im so pissed right now at these two clowns I cant see straight.

:mad:

Right now the chargers are hoping Brady and Giselle buttchin don't pay the extra 7.95 a month for the NFL network.

it's not looking promising.......

I would pay to see these two clowns actually take calls and argue their opinions to fans. I guarantee these two would get abused by any common fan out there. I mean, whats their arguement? Elway and Manning are better because I said so. They disregard wins. Which would also include SB wins. They cant uses stats, because Bradys are better, significantly in some areas. So what are the basing their opinions on?

Right now the chargers are hoping Brady and Giselle buttchin don't pay the extra 7.95 a month for the NFL network.

it's not looking promising.......

i am sure someone in the pats organization will let him know what these jokers said. the team seems to be feeding off all the negative press this year about our D, etc. this only adds to that.

Last edited:
You're going to see a lot of hate on Brady as these former players turn into sportscasters. He smoked pretty much every player in the NFL thus far.

First, who is Jamie Dukes? That's a serious question. The fact that I don't remember him as a player speaks volumes.

Second, Woodson is just drinking haterade...he brings no facts to the table, just an "Because I said so" attitude.

I think people who don't have multiple rings or any rings in Dukes case are just jealous of Brady's success.

My theory on Woodson is he has friends within the Steelers, Ravens, and Raiders organizations from his playing days with them. Those three teams have no love lost for the Patriots. Have to think hearing his colleagues whine about the Patriots has influenced his bias.

My theory on Dukes is that he's simply a douche.

Because Jamie Dukes had a HoF career ;)

Saying his team helped him, have they looked at his receivers? How many left and became average without Brady?

I also love the "system quarterback" argument. Pretty funny that it took Brady coming in as a starter for a QB to be effective in this so called "system". And also the "Matt Cassel had a good year on that offense" spiel is even more ridiculous. With the team the Patriots had in 2008 and the schedule they faced, people were seriously talking about the possibility of going 16-0 again with Brady. Cassel led that team to 11 wins and had a good year, but he was playing on one of the best teams of all time against a cakewalk schedule. Brady wins at least 14 games that year.

Last edited:
....and, of course, there is always 101-31 (and counting).
Thats the real important point.
Somehow Bradys 3 rings are almost being floated as a strike against him.
Yes football is a team sport, but to be the QB with the BEST WINNING PERCENTAGE in the history of the NFL, after 10 years, eliminates the 'part of a great team' argument. He is the REASON for a great team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back