PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts: the getting what you expected edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
b. Cyrus Jones is, unfortunately learning a LOT of teaching points to start this season. His PF was simply not acceptable, even if it was provoked. The biggest loss was the loss of reps and experience he lost when he got kicked out of the game......NEEDLESSLY. There WILL be a time when Bill will simply sit him down, but I don't think that point has arrived. But the mental mistakes the kid has made have GOT to stop.

That ejection wasn't warranted because the Browns guy blocked him way late and away from the play. From what I can see on the video the Brown player started to fall down right when Jones started pushing back. Again, from what I could see, there were no punches thrown.

I also thought you needed two PF calls to get ejected...was he warned before or something?

b. Cyrus Jones is, unfortunately learning a LOT of teaching points to start this season. His PF was simply not acceptable, even if it was provoked. The biggest loss was the loss of reps and experience he lost when he got kicked out of the game......NEEDLESSLY. There WILL be a time when Bill will simply sit him down, but I don't think that point has arrived. But the mental mistakes the kid has made have GOT to stop.

Watching the replay, whomever it was hit Jones from behind and away from the play. THAT should have been flagged. The Browns player hit him with some major force, not just a shove or anything minor. The blurry replay showed Jones using BOTH hands to push the Browns player away. I've not seen anyone put a video showing an actual punch (though the day is still young).

I have an issue with this because of what happened at the Bills game. NONE of the Bills players were tossed prior to the game when they CLEARLY threw punches at Pats players AND a Pats coach. That sort of thing just isn't acceptable. Yet the league sent the message that it is for one team, but not another..

Watching the replay, whomever it was hit Jones from behind and away from the play. THAT should have been flagged. The Browns player hit him with some major force, not just a shove or anything minor. The blurry replay showed Jones using BOTH hands to push the Browns player away. I've not seen anyone put a video showing an actual punch (though the day is still young).

I have an issue with this because of what happened at the Bills game. NONE of the Bills players were tossed prior to the game when they CLEARLY threw punches at Pats players AND a Pats coach. That sort of thing just isn't acceptable. Yet the league sent the message that it is for one team, but not another..
I made my comment based on the fact I had heard that throwing a punch was grounds for ejection. I didn't know about the punches thrown in the Bills game, but I'm not surprised. Since when has punishment been enforced on a consistent basis in the NFL. In fact SELECTIVE enforcement is the hallmark of the NFL these days. ;)

I didn't know about the punches thrown in the Bills game, but I'm not surprised.

They were thrown before the game as Brissett was jogging down the sideline. I'm sure you've seen the video.

They were thrown before the game as Brissett was jogging down the sideline. I'm sure you've seen the video.
Then I understand now why there were no ejections. The officials weren't on the field when it happened.

That's hard work policing the game thread for over-reactions. More power to you for having that kind of patience when there's a game to watch.

Won't do it again, it's just not worth it.. that being said I still would love to have an alternative game thread that explicitly forbids hot take posts but encourages meaningful discussion. There are so many very intelligent people on this board who often give great insight into things happening in the game that are worth talking about but those nuggets get lost in the giant pile of hysteria that is the live gamethread.

As for Cyrus, I think that's an example of Bill following Lombardi's maxim to praise publicly and criticize privately, even if there is a kernel of truth there. He will hold both Jones and Slater accountable there. The PF, however is likely to be a different story. That goes beyond bad football territory into stupid land. I suspect that Cyrus gets a week to sit and reflect before getting a chance to show that he belongs out there again. He could find himself on the outside looking-in if Rowe can get on the field.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have said it before that Cyrus is a dumbass for swinging his fist and want to emphasize it again before the next sentence.

I honestly think that this was a weak-ass ****ty ejection but I guess those are the times and in those"somebody has to think of the children" that are watching. **** that.

Won't do it again, it's just not worth it.. that being said I still would love to have an alternative game thread that explicitly forbids hot take posts but encourages meaningful discussion. There are so many very intelligent people on this board who often give great insight into things happening in the game that are worth talking about but those nuggets get lost in the giant pile of hysteria that is the live gamethread.

Wouldn't we all, but who would get invited? The fact of the matter is that the forum has for several years now been too large for the gameday thread to be readable, almost independent of the quality of the posts. I'm sure there are some voices we would all appreciate hearing in place of the television commentators, but even the folks who provide reasoned analysis after the fact might be hard pressed to provide meaningful and nuanced commentary during the heat of battle.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've never understood the "James White goes down on 1st contact" meme. It's so far from true it's hilarious.

Wouldn't we all, but who would get invited? The fact of the matter is that the forum has for several years now been too large for the gameday thread to be readable, almost independent of the quality of the posts. I'm sure there are some voices we would all appreciate hearing in place of the television commentators, but even the folks who provide reasoned analysis after the fact might be hard pressed to provide meaningful and nuanced commentary during the heat of battle.

Ahhhhh, the good old days...

TDIF: First NFL Game Without Broadcasters

That ejection wasn't warranted because the Browns guy blocked him way late and away from the play. From what I can see on the video the Brown player started to fall down right when Jones started pushing back. Again, from what I could see, there were no punches thrown.

I also thought you needed two PF calls to get ejected...was he warned before or something?

I believe the new rule is 2 personal fouls is an automatic ejection. The refs still have the option to eject anyone at any time regardless of personal fouls.

During live action, the announcers mentioned something about a scuffle right at the end of the play. Normal pushing and shoving after a play usually isn't even mentioned. If I remember correctly, it sounded like the crowd oohh'd as well. My guess is, after the Browns player fell to the ground, Jones fell on him and they kept going at it. Or the Browns player got right up and got into Jones' face and Jones responded with a slap/punch. The announcer kept going on about the push being the retaliation Jones was called on, but there definitely had to be more than that.

I made my comment based on the fact I had heard that throwing a punch was grounds for ejection. I didn't know about the punches thrown in the Bills game, but I'm not surprised. Since when has punishment been enforced on a consistent basis in the NFL. In fact SELECTIVE enforcement is the hallmark of the NFL these days. ;)

I believe the new rule is 2 personal fouls is an automatic ejection. The refs still have the option to eject anyone at any time regardless of personal fouls.

During live action, the announcers mentioned something about a scuffle right at the end of the play. Normal pushing and shoving after a play usually isn't even mentioned. If I remember correctly, it sounded like the crowd oohh'd as well. My guess is, after the Browns player fell to the ground, Jones fell on him and they kept going at it. Or the Browns player got right up and got into Jones' face and Jones responded with a slap/punch. The announcer kept going on about the push being the retaliation Jones was called on, but there definitely had to be more than that.

i mentioned it in the post-game thread, but zo said on 5th quarter that jones threw a left jab at the browns player's helmet, and he didn't seem to be disputing the ejection. he said several reporters saw the punch, even though they didn't show it on replay.

Cyrus Jones needs to play with his head, not his heart.

zo said on 5th quarter that jones threw a left jab at the browns player's helmet

Yeah, hands aren't important for playing cornerback at all.

Jamming at the line, hand fighting, catching or batting the ball - yeah, basically useless.
Cyrus Jones (1810-1913) may have lived forever in the Dave Matthews' song, but he's kind of building a foundation that takes away from his football skills that may jeopardize his future if he keeps it up.

I also thought you needed two PF calls to get ejected...
Nope, the rule just says if you get 2 PFs you will get automatically ejected. There's lots of other ways to get ejected, but they tend to be for flagrant violations. IMHO this was not such a situation.

Wikipedia has a good summary:
Any player or team official who commits a personal foul (i.e. striking, kicking, kneeing) against another player or team official, commits an act of unnecessary roughness against another player or team official, commits an act of unsportsmanlike conduct, or commits a palpably unfair act is liable to be disqualified from further participation if the act is found to be flagrant. Any player or team official who fights with another player or team official, leaves the bench to take part in a fight, intentionally makes contact with or assaults a game official, or uses any item of equipment as a weapon is automatically disqualified.

Ref: Ejection (sports) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was fun to watch but I wondered why they had Slater run the ball.

Cyrus Jones (1810-1913) may have lived forever in the Dave Matthews' song, but he's kind of building a foundation that takes away from his football skills that may jeopardize his future if he keeps it up.
Little Mikey Carson ('67-'75) could come along and take his spot.

Cyrus Jones needs to play with his head, not his heart.

That's the big challenge for him right now. I think he's terribly overanxious and very eager to prove his worth. He just needs to calm down and let the game come to him instead of trying to force it.

It was fun to watch but I wondered why they had Slater run the ball.

It was late in the game. They didn't want to put Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, Blount, or White in a position to get hurt.. That's how I looked at it.. Especially since the game was in hand.. Also, by doing so, it gives opposing defenses one more thing to think about if they see Slater on the field..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back