PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts: the getting what you expected edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The thing about this week is that aside for the awesome greatness of Tom Brady, it is going to be hard to find something other than the obvious to come from this game. Insights might be hard to come by. Not to take anything from the Pats, but Cleveland isn't a good football team to begin with. They already came into the game with some injuries and it didn't get any better as the game went along. So, while channeling my deeper BB, you can get excited about the obvious "possibilities" from this game. we reallyl need to see them do it against some stiffer competition before we start "crowning their asses" So let's get started.

1. Tom Brady is simply the GOAT. I expected him to be the best QB we've had thus far this season, but I didn't expect him to be virtually flawless for most of the first half. Not after throwing to college kids for the last month. His pocket movement is NOT what you expect from a 39 year old. That is what impressed me the most.

a. I know the JG hype was great, and so was his performance. But watching Tom operate the offense, you HAD to see the difference that 16 years of experience brings to the table. Just how he manipulated the Cleveland Defense and got the Pats into good plays, etc. That is what JG might GET to someday, but he's a long way from it right now.

b. On the negative side, I THINK that what rust Tom had was shown in him NOT getting into the right play on occasion, especially in the 2nd half. There were a couple of times, (just a few) where he got stubborn on attempted first down throws to Edelman who was covered, instead of going to his other reads, who were open. So when Tom says he needs to get better after a 4oo yd passing day, THAT is what he mean

2. RB's - This was White's best day as a runner since he's been with Pats. It's not so much the 5 for 25 that was impressive, but the fact that on most of the runs, PLUS several of his catches, we didn't see him go down at first contact. There was actually one run where he pushed the pile. Good for him

b. Not a great day for LGB, but an effective one. It wasn't like the OL was opening gaping holes for him, even once in a while. But in THIS offense the Pats don't need him to have great stats. BTW- I would like to see them use Blount once in a while in the pass game. Right now, when he's in the game, you KNOW for a 100% surety that the Pats are either going to run the ball or play action pass (PAP) They need to break that tendency.

c. Nice to see a DJ Foster sighting. He flashed again, both as a receiver and runner. You can see the acceleration there. However he's not going to get many snaps with White playing this well. But you can see why they don't want him on the waiver wire if they can help it.

d. I know people were pissed off at the 4th down play call, but it was the exact same play that Blount walked in free just a few series before. The key difference was in that first play Devlin and Gronk made great blocks to seal the edge. On this play, Gronk wasn't as dominant, and Devlin flat out missed his man.

3. TE's - I knew it would be good, but not THIS good. The Bennett 3rd TD just showed how devastating this offense can be, even in it's simplest terms. The Pats ran twice with one of their mini backs for 12 yds, and the next play they run a PAP and Bennett is open by 5 yds. What's amazing that on the same play, Gronk also had no one around him going up the seam. Of course Brady makes the right choice with Bennett making a move at the GL, that was just spectacular for a 200lb WR, let alone a 270 lb TE. I don't think Gronk scores if he had gotten the ball.

4.WR. You all about that crap we have to deal with in the off season from the WR Mafia, about needing someone to "take the top off the defense". Well IIRC Brady threw 4 deep balls today. Two were caught (by Hogan), but in EVERY case, our WR was significantly open BEHIND the defense. That was the most important thing we should take from our WR's this game.

5. OL - I thnk the OL did well in pass protection, not so much in the run game. Too many time LGB was getting hit behind the LOS. Now Danny Shelton is a beast, but I think we are going to see teams try and line up someone directly on David Andrew's head. Andrews had on miss and another hold that I spotted in 40 pass attempts, so it's not like he sucked. He had his moments too. But the fact is that he's relatively small by C standards and it makes sense for defenses not to make it easy on him by giving him a 4-3 look.

It will be interesting to see if teams continue to do this as the season progresses.

a. I was concerned about Cannon not starting, but I never heard Flemming's name called, so that's a good start anyway. It will be interesting to see how he actually played from someone who breaks down the game later this week.

6. DL - This was Malcolm Brown's best overall game as a Patriot. They held a guy who was averaging over 5ypc to UNDER 2ypc. If there was one area where the Browns have excelled at this season, it has been the running game (2nd best in the league), and the Pats just shut it down COMPLETELY.

b. Where the DL was a bit disappointing (except for MBrown) it was in our pass rushing. Once again we saw QB's escape sacks after we had them dead to rights. And it seemed like the DL by itself, didn't generate much of a rush on a consistent basis.

7. LB's - Now ERoberts got a lot of run today and did a great job. He was tied (with Chung) for the lead in tackles and had a pass defensed as well. Now the question is was anyone hurt, or did Roberts get the nod simply because he's been a good run defender. Hightower had a few big plays, but Collins didn't flash today at all. BTW- that could have been by design more than anything else.

8. DB's - the DB's did a super job supporting the run defense all game. As for the pass defense, it was OK. Lots of soft zones for this game, given the score and who we were playing.

b. But Pryor and that tall TE point out a problem with our secondary that other teams are likely to try and take advantage of. We are very vertically challenged back there. Because of that, we over balanced the defense on the first Cleveland TD which made it virtually impossible to defend the other side when they threw it there.

I can understand doing that since Butler was giving away 6'' and 40 lbs to Pryor. The discrepancy was even greater when Jones was asked to cover the 6'7 TE down the seam on their 2nd TD. That is why I am REALLY looking forward to Rowe coming back. This team really needs a situational DB who can play "power forward" CB against a team's big WR and TE's I have to think he's going to get on the field in the next 2 weeks.

9. ST's - I know people are going to be starting to panic after Gotskowski missed that 50 yarder, but I caution patience. I think he has spoiled us with his amazing consistency, and the realities of kicking are jarring to us. However in a great insight, Feely talked about him missing right which is often a consequence of not following through. I never knew that. What do you know, learning something new from a TV analyst. Who would have thought. ;)

a,. the rest of the special teams played very well, as we have come to expect.

10. General Comments:

a. Once again the Pats lost the penalty yardage battle for the 4th time in 5 games. This time they almost double the amount that Cleveland got (62-35). It certainly didn't matter in this game, but it WILL hurt us sometime in the future if we don't get it under control.

b. Cyrus Jones is, unfortunately learning a LOT of teaching points to start this season. His PF was simply not acceptable, even if it was provoked. The biggest loss was the loss of reps and experience he lost when he got kicked out of the game......NEEDLESSLY. There WILL be a time when Bill will simply sit him down, but I don't think that point has arrived. But the mental mistakes the kid has made have GOT to stop.

c. While the Pats lost the penalty yardage battle, I thought his officials crew did a good job of not throwing flags all day.

d. Atlanta has now beaten BOTH superbowl teams from last year, AND they did ON THE ROAD. Pretty impressive. Now they have to go to Seattle.

e. Scoreboard watching: The Jets may have a great DL, but their secondary is getting torched this year, as they go to 1-4. The Bills are winning a close game as I go to press. I kind of hope they win. Atlanta ***** slaped Denver who found out that playing a rookie QB isn't easy. Caution: They still are ahead of us because their lose is out of conference. Cincinnati is going to be a desperate team losing so badly to the Cowboys. Maybe (I'm hoping) they just don't play well on the road. SD lost ANOTHER close game in the 4th quarter. :eek:

f. Health watch - Bennett's ankle, Edelman's foot, Rowe's availability, any signs that Lewis is getting closer. I hate to say it, that although we've had some knicks this season, by and large we've been pretty healthy for a Pats team so far.....relatively speaking. Knock on wood. My lips to god's ear, etc etc

OK that should be good enough to at least start the conversation. I, again, look forward to your comments and fill in what I've missed

Brady threw 4 deep balls today. Two were caught (by Hogan), but in EVERY case, our WR was significantly open BEHIND the defense.

So what you're saying is, Brady is inaccurate on the deep ball?

:) :) :)

Atlanta ***** slaped Denver who found out that playing a rookie QB isn't easy. Caution: They still are ahead of us because their lose is out of conference.

The base-case tiebreaker is head to head.

Other tiebreakers can only matter if 3 or more teams are in the tie, or if our head to head game against them is somehow a tie.

Good observations Ken.. I won't get into the JB/Brady stuff because the difference that you were talking about should have been obvious to anyone watching the game..

c. Nice to see a DJ Foster sighting. He flashed again, both as a receiver and runner. You can see the acceleration there. However he's not going to get many snaps with White playing this well. But you can see why they don't want him on the waiver wire if they can help it.

I think he will still end up the sacrificial lamb for whenever Lewis will be back. I certainly hope we can sneak him onto the PS.. not sure if Sankey will be yanked for him or not but that's future talk.

I know people were pissed off at the 4th down play call, but it was the exact same play that Blount walked in free just a few series before. The key difference was in that first play Devlin and Gronk made great blocks to seal the edge. On this play, Gronk wasn't as dominant, and Devlin flat out missed his man.

I agree. That being said I can also understand people being a bit curious why we didn't have any redzone plays for our fearsome TE duo ready. I wonder if we just didn't wanna give away anything new given the score at that point..

WR. You all about that crap we have to deal with in the off season from the WR Mafia, about needing someone to "take the top off the defense". Well IIRC Brady threw 4 deep balls today. Two were caught (by Hogan), but in EVERY case, our WR was significantly open BEHIND the defense. That was the most important thing we should take from our WR's this game.

Hogan will be a key cog if he stays healthy. Our offense in general will be a nightmare to defend.. can't wait..

This was Malcolm Brown's best overall game as a Patriot. They held a guy who was averaging over 5ypc to UNDER 2ypc. If there was one area where the Browns have excelled at this season, it has been the running game (2nd best in the league), and the Pats just shut it down COMPLETELY.

I don't remember who the dolt is that constantly brings up Brown being a failure but he had quietly a pretty good season with some highlight plays today that gave him some visibility. He is improving and maturing at a great rate.. I am excited about his trajectory.. thanks Grigson.. you dumbass..

Now ERoberts got a lot of run today and did a great job. He was tied (with Chung) for the lead in tackles and had a pass defensed as well. Now the question is was anyone hurt, or did Roberts get the nod simply because he's been a good run defender. Hightower had a few big plays, but Collins didn't flash today at all. BTW- that could have been by design more than anything else.

I gave out so many "disagrees" in the game thread today because people complaining about the pass completions completely missed that we held the NFLs best rushing attack to a ridiculous small yardage. Stopping the run was today's key nothing else..

Doesn't matter who the Browns QB is, if you take away the run they will need a flawless passing performance to hang around in the game. And that's something that they can't do..

I can understand doing that since Butler was giving away 6'' and 40 lbs to Pryor. The discrepancy was even greater when Jones was asked to cover the 6'7 TE down the seam on their 2nd TD. That is why I am REALLY looking forward to Rowe coming back. This team really needs a situational DB who can play "power forward" CB against a team's big WR and TE's I have to think he's going to get on the field in the next 2 weeks.

Agree totally here.. it's not on the players when they are in "impossible" situations. That being said, the entire second TD drive was consistently inches away from tipped balls/interceptions if you look at it closely. I don't think you could fit a newspaper between the ball and one of our defenders hand on that seam pass to Barnidge... we were in position to make plays many times but missed it closely.. some will say it doesn't matter because only the outcome counts but I prefer this to blown coverages many times..

I know people are going to be starting to panic after Gotskowski missed that 50 yarder, but I caution patience. I think he has spoiled us with his amazing consistency, and the realities of kicking are jarring to us. However in a great insight, Feely talked about him missing right which is often a consequence of not following through. I never knew that. What do you know, learning something new from a TV analyst. Who would have thought.

Bingo. Another pet peeve of mine.. people being so spoiled that they assume that 50+ yd kicks should be automatic. I won't start worrying about Ghost until he starts consistently missing kicks in the 30-45 range. On the pragmatic side of things.. he has so much dead money on his contract that it is pretty much impossible to cut him or "scare" him by bringing in some kickers for try-outs.

This is something he will have to work through...

Cyrus Jones is, unfortunately learning a LOT of teaching points to start this season. His PF was simply not acceptable, even if it was provoked. The biggest loss was the loss of reps and experience he lost when he got kicked out of the game......NEEDLESSLY. There WILL be a time when Bill will simply sit him down, but I don't think that point has arrived. But the mental mistakes the kid has made have GOT to stop.

Agree but lets keep in mind that this is a rookie who was in his fifth NFL game. While he is a dumbass for not keeping his cool I don't understand why some people here found their new scapegoat. Especially, after BB called out the media for criticizing Cyrus' ST plays against the Bills implying that they might not have been totally his fault.

On the defense, the second drive we were carved up by Kessler. So we have no idea how the game goes is Hightower doesn't knock him out (although that was a great blitz). But, that offense walked down the field on us......

Malcolm was having a few issues on the out routes with Pryor (bigger receiver) but I thought he stuck with him pretty well....

Our issues with big TE's are well documented, Barnidge didn't do anything to change that today. Big worry next week is if Eifert is healthy to go and goes off on us. We saw what Green did to Revis, thinking Logan Ryan on him with McCourty help over the top, maybe throw Jamie on Eifert.

Local Boston mediots are getting after the Pats defense a bit (It wouldn't be Boston if there wasn't complaining)......but after 5 games, NE has given up the fewest points in the AFC ( 13 fewer points than #2).

7. LB's - Now the question is was anyone hurt, or did Roberts get the nod simply because he's been a good run defender. Hightower had a few big plays, but Collins didn't flash today at all. BTW- that could have been by design more than anything else.

9. ST's - I know people are going to be starting to panic after Gotskowski ... Feely talked about him missing right which is often a consequence of not following through.

b. Cyrus Jones is, unfortunately learning a LOT of teaching points to start this season.

f. Health watch - Bennett's ankle, Edelman's foot, Rowe's availability, any signs that Lewis is getting closer. I hate to say it, that although we've had some knicks this season, by and large we've been pretty healthy for a Pats team so far.....relatively speaking. Knock on wood. My lips to god's ear, etc etc

@ Hightower - Hightower has problems with changing directions as some remarked - that was a problem already vs BUF. This costs the D some of the usual speed. That's why the emergence of Roberts (confirmed by BB) is huge. As we could see High has no problem running straight though - so until his knee gets fully healthy they can mix it up with Roberts and Nink like they did today.

@CB - Bengals will be a good test on our CB play and especially the #3 CB position. In that sense it is really a shame that no one from what looked like deep young preseason corp didn't really emerge. We would dearly need Cyrus to be the guy but for the moment things are not going his way. Rowe is our biggest hope to solidify this #3 position and CB in general. Let's hope. My wish for the Bengals game is to see him active.
Clearly this is a position BB is trying to solidify. He tried JJ today but also with limited success. (He is still a monster on ST though.) Fortunately we have McCourty who is a beast beyond belief!

@Ghost - Not following through usually means not being 100% confident. But he's exp. enough to get over it.

@Health - The list of LP on injury reports gets longer but the team gets deeper!
One is insurance through great FA and draft: This team is insured by incredible roster depth and can easily overcome any short term absence. The second thing is coaching: in week 5 Pats didn't get only TB and Nink back, they got at least two more players: Roberts and Hamilton. Also the liabilities from last year - Cannon and Fleming - stepped up. Andrews looks better as well (had a big job today), Mason likewise and looks like he will get better still, White improved, Brown had a monster game and he is carrying unbelievable load for such a young player (hope he survives - and gets less snaps soon), not to mention Flowers. So BB is in a great situation not to rush the injured or even banged up players. BTW: happy to see Blount, Edelman OK.

And yes: maybe change of conditioning team has something to do with this as well ..

Last edited:
The thing about this week is that aside for the awesome greatness of Tom Brady, it is going to be hard to find something other than the obvious to come from this game. Insights might be hard to come by. Not to take anything from the Pats, but Cleveland isn't a good football team to begin with. They already came into the game with some injuries and it didn't get any better as the game went along. So, while channeling my deeper BB, you can get excited about the obvious "possibilities" from this game. we reallyl need to see them do it against some stiffer competition before we start "crowning their asses" So let's get started.

1. Tom Brady is simply the GOAT. I expected him to be the best QB we've had thus far this season, but I didn't expect him to be virtually flawless for most of the first half. Not after throwing to college kids for the last month. His pocket movement is NOT what you expect from a 39 year old. That is what impressed me the most.

a. I know the JG hype was great, and so was his performance. But watching Tom operate the offense, you HAD to see the difference that 16 years of experience brings to the table. Just how he manipulated the Cleveland Defense and got the Pats into good plays, etc. That is what JG might GET to someday, but he's a long way from it right now.

b. On the negative side, I THINK that what rust Tom had was shown in him NOT getting into the right play on occasion, especially in the 2nd half. There were a couple of times, (just a few) where he got stubborn on attempted first down throws to Edelman who was covered, instead of going to his other reads, who were open. So when Tom says he needs to get better after a 4oo yd passing day, THAT is what he mean

2. RB's - This was White's best day as a runner since he's been with Pats. It's not so much the 5 for 25 that was impressive, but the fact that on most of the runs, PLUS several of his catches, we didn't see him go down at first contact. There was actually one run where he pushed the pile. Good for him

b. Not a great day for LGB, but an effective one. It wasn't like the OL was opening gaping holes for him, even once in a while. But in THIS offense the Pats don't need him to have great stats. BTW- I would like to see them use Blount once in a while in the pass game. Right now, when he's in the game, you KNOW for a 100% surety that the Pats are either going to run the ball or play action pass (PAP) They need to break that tendency.

d. I know people were pissed off at the 4th down play call, but it was the exact same play that Blount walked in free just a few series before. The key difference was in that first play Devlin and Gronk made great blocks to seal the edge. On this play, Gronk wasn't as dominant, and Devlin flat out missed his man.

3. TE's - I knew it would be good, but not THIS good. The Bennett 3rd TD just showed how devastating this offense can be, even in it's simplest terms. The Pats ran twice with one of their mini backs for 12 yds, and the next play they run a PAP and Bennett is open by 5 yds. What's amazing that on the same play, Gronk also had no one around him going up the seam. Of course Brady makes the right choice with Bennett making a move at the GL, that was just spectacular for a 200lb WR, let alone a 270 lb TE. I don't think Gronk scores if he had gotten the ball.

4.WR. You all about that crap we have to deal with in the off season from the WR Mafia, about needing someone to "take the top off the defense". Well IIRC Brady threw 4 deep balls today. Two were caught (by Hogan), but in EVERY case, our WR was significantly open BEHIND the defense. That was the most important thing we should take from our WR's this game.

5. OL - I thnk the OL did well in pass protection, not so much in the run game. Too many time LGB was getting hit behind the LOS. Now Danny Shelton is a beast, but I think we are going to see teams try and line up someone directly on David Andrew's head. Andrews had on miss and another hold that I spotted in 40 pass attempts, so it's not like he sucked. He had his moments too. But the fact is that he's relatively small by C standards and it makes sense for defenses not to make it easy on him by giving him a 4-3 look.

It will be interesting to see if teams continue to do this as the season progresses.

a. I was concerned about Cannon not starting, but I never heard Flemming's name called, so that's a good start anyway. It will be interesting to see how he actually played from someone who breaks down the game later this week.

6. DL - This was Malcolm Brown's best overall game as a Patriot. They held a guy who was averaging over 5ypc to UNDER 2ypc. If there was one area where the Browns have excelled at this season, it has been the running game (2nd best in the league), and the Pats just shut it down COMPLETELY.

b. Where the DL was a bit disappointing (except for MBrown) it was in our pass rushing. Once again we saw QB's escape sacks after we had them dead to rights. And it seemed like the DL by itself, didn't generate much of a rush on a consistent basis.

7. LB's - Now ERoberts got a lot of run today and did a great job. He was tied (with Chung) for the lead in tackles and had a pass defensed as well. Now the question is was anyone hurt, or did Roberts get the nod simply because he's been a good run defender. Hightower had a few big plays, but Collins didn't flash today at all. BTW- that could have been by design more than anything else.

8. DB's - the DB's did a super job supporting the run defense all game. As for the pass defense, it was OK. Lots of soft zones for this game, given the score and who we were playing.

b. But Pryor and that tall TE point out a problem with our secondary that other teams are likely to try and take advantage of. We are very vertically challenged back there. Because of that, we over balanced the defense on the first Cleveland TD which made it virtually impossible to defend the other side when they threw it there.

9. ST's - I know people are going to be starting to panic after Gotskowski missed that 50 yarder, but I caution patience. I think he has spoiled us with his amazing consistency, and the realities of kicking are jarring to us. However in a great insight, Feely talked about him missing right which is often a consequence of not following through. I never knew that. What do you know, learning something new from a TV analyst. Who would have thought. ;)

a,. the rest of the special teams played very well, as we have come to expect.

10. General Comments:

a. Once again the Pats lost the penalty yardage battle for the 4th time in 5 games. This time they almost double the amount that Cleveland got (62-35). It certainly didn't matter in this game, but it WILL hurt us sometime in the future if we don't get it under control.

b. Cyrus Jones is, unfortunately learning a LOT of teaching points to start this season. His PF was simply not acceptable, even if it was provoked. The biggest loss was the loss of reps and experience he lost when he got kicked out of the game......NEEDLESSLY. There WILL be a time when Bill will simply sit him down, but I don't think that point has arrived. But the mental mistakes the kid has made have GOT to stop.

c. While the Pats lost the penalty yardage battle, I thought his officials crew did a good job of not throwing flags all day.

d. Atlanta has now beaten BOTH superbowl teams from last year, AND they did ON THE ROAD. Pretty impressive. Now they have to go to Seattle.

e. Scoreboard watching: The Jets may have a great DL, but their secondary is getting torched this year, as they go to 1-4. The Bills are winning a close game as I go to press. I kind of hope they win. Atlanta ***** slaped Denver who found out that playing a rookie QB isn't easy. Caution: They still are ahead of us because their lose is out of conference. Cincinnati is going to be a desperate team losing so badly to the Cowboys. Maybe (I'm hoping) they just don't play well on the road. SD lost ANOTHER close game in the 4th quarter. :eek:

OK that should be good enough to at least start the conversation. I, again, look forward to your comments and fill in what I've missed
Great post and summary as always. I really enjoyed how you pointed out the difference between Brady and Jimmy G. Jimmy G looked pretty good overall (and great against Miami), but what Brady brings to the table with all his experience is just not easily replicated.
What Brady did today was just phenomenal.
Also, kudos to pointing out just how dominate the run defense was. It goes to show how great a coach BB actually is. He decides to take away what a team does best and he does that better than anyone.

Can we just talk about how awesome Bennett's performance was today? He has a killer nose for the endzone! And now when teams gameplan the DC will have nightmares while choosing what to give away. Because with Gronk, Bennett, and our bevy of smurf WRs, you just can't cover them all!

Hmm do we leave that Bennet guy who just scored 3 TDs open, or do we leave that Gronk guy who holds the TD record for TE's open? Or do we let Edelman, Amendola, and that Hogan guy open? Whatever they do, there will be single coverage for someone, and someone will get open, and Brady will find him!

Speaking of Brady -- 400+ yards 3TDs 0 turnovers in his debut return! Is this guy just awesome or what? I mean I expected a good showing from him, but those numbers jump off the page! He just had his way with the Browns defense!! Oh and those he keep saying he can't throw the deep ball... he threw the deep ball!

That was a thoroughly satisfying win from the Pats! I'm loving it!! Brady's back!!!

Brady looked really good. His accuracy was there and I was surprised the touch he had on the softer throws.
No sign of rust in his throwing. It was really nice to see what Bennett and Gronk can do when Brady is out there. Looks like Bennett sprained his ankle but after a tape job, he never missed a beat. I don't know why they taped both ankles. Gronk looks almost back to 100%. Hogan is one tough player. They put him through concussion protocol twice. The OL did a great job pass protecting. Not many holes to run through for the RB's. Part of the problem is I think Blount got banged up last week and is not playing at 100% strength. White and Foster got more carries today.

I don't know why they have Edelman fielding punts. Cyrus Jones was a bust but I thought Amendola would be the PR as he is not a key receiver like Edelman is. It seemed they changed their KO procedure in this game. It looked to me that they now plant the signal guy in front of the KO returner when they don't want the KO coming out. Ghost is still having problems with FG, looks like he is at 70% now. We may worry about the the kicker but it's nice not to have a worry about the long snapper. It's amazes me how many games have been lost on other teams because of a bad snap.

You look at this defense and they don't look dominant but they are one of the best teams in the NFL in Points Allowed.

Brady is so good that you take him for granted. Jimmy G looked great, but he ain't no Brady.

A couple of additional thoughts:

1. The cheer that went up when Brady first entered the field was loud and vibrant. I think a lot of Browns fans had to have joined in for it to be so loud. Some Browns fans, of course, tried to drown them out with boos, but really didn't happen for them. And then there was the Brady, Brady, Brady cheers that were audible from time to time throughout the game. Very impressive.

2. At the end of the game it was interesting to see how so many of the young Cleveland players lined up to shake Brady's hand. It looked like a reception line.

3. They may be 0-5 and looking at another dismal season, but THIS time I think the Browns are doing it the right way, and although it make take a few years, the Browns are on th right track. Hue Jackson has them playing hard and they seem to be buying into his leadership. Time will tell.

4. I wish people will stop trying to compare Bennett and Gronk with Gronk and Hernandez. The only thing similar was they were all labelled as TE's. Hernandez was a puffed up WR who was more Hback than TE. Bennett is a legitimate in line TE who can split out wide as well. He is every bit an equal to Gronk as a receiver, but not quite as good a blocker. Bennett and Gronk are a fare superior duo.

5. If you know a charger fan, please say a prayer for them. When I first posted, I didn't realize just how horrible the way they lost this game was.

A couple of additional thoughts:

2. At the end of the game it was interesting to see how so many of the young Cleveland players lined up to shake Brady's hand. It looked like a reception line.

I didn't see the game, but I saw highlights on NFL Red Zone, and I saw Hue Jackson put his hand on Brady's head and give it an affectionate or encouraging rub. I am sure what Jackson said to follow it up is vastly different than what the Omissioner would have said.

I know the JG hype was great, and so was his performance. But watching Tom operate the offense, you HAD to see the difference that 16 years of experience brings to the table. Just how he manipulated the Cleveland Defense and got the Pats into good plays, etc. That is what JG might GET to someday, but he's a long way from it right now.
A few things about this oddly obvious comment: I "think" what you're attempting to pontificate here is somehow condemn Garoppolo (24) with faint praise vs. the greatest quarterback of all time (39). That's a pretty easy mark. Yet, the sampling of his play we saw vs. Miami sure was Brady-like and you now seem to agree with that while also calling it "hype" at the same time. Why did you feel it necessary to even make this comparison to begin with? The greatness Brady demonstrated today doesn't change the fact that Garoppolo has shown promise and Brady won't play forever. Your conclusion Garoppolo should be traded has been confirmed several times over and I've seen nobody here suggesting he should replace Brady now, or even next year.

Scoreboard watching: The Bills are winning a close game as I go to press. I kind of hope they win.
Why? So Wrecks will stay or because you have a soft spot for Bills fans? They now look to win five in a row and three weeks from now could be playing the Patriots for first place in the division. I certainly believe the Patriots are better, but strange things can happen when a team builds a head of steam and starts really believing in itself. I'd rather not see them on a five-game winning streak playing the Pats at home.

Last edited:
Patfanken, Although I dip in occasionally, I've pretty much abandoned the game thread, but always look for yours after the game is over. Particularly this week, when I'm doing it after the Presidential Debate, and need to flush my brain by something not politics. My major focus, I suspect that of many others, was Tom Brady, and I was very pleased by his performance, especially the long completed throws downfield (I only counted 3). Granted, it was the Browns, but a great indication that Brady's back.

While watching the 'all TB's throws' in YouTube, I thought of a couple things where you can say there still is some rust:
(Edit add: [/url]

1. his mechanics on the short passes, particularly wr screen types, seems different than in past years. Not sure why but the arm motion follow thru seemed different than I remembered. A couple of these short passes got bobbled-dropped as well. Was that on how TB threw or how they caught ???

2. The Andrews-TB connection still needs some work. Two snaps nearly went past his head and he had to make one-armed snatches to prevent a 12yd sack or disaster.

3. At one point (3q?), he threw back-back near interceptions, going into too tight windows. One clanging off the lbs chest. Timing might show that his focus fell off with the big lead, because earlier and later he was sharper.

Last edited:
I didn't see the game, but I saw highlights on NFL Red Zone, and I saw Hue Jackson put his hand on Brady's head and give it an affectionate or encouraging rub. I am sure what Jackson said to follow it up is vastly different than what the Omissioner would have said.

I watched the game and it was something I really noticed, it went beyond the normal great game kind of congratulations.

Yeah.... The Patriots had an outside wide receiver getting open middle-deep, and the result was a 400 yard game. That's an example of what's been the point the "WR mafia" has been making for years.

Last edited:
Everywhere you looked were Patriot jerseys. It was a bit surprising to me. Patriot nation took over that stadium today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back