PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Ryan FIREDDDDDDDDDDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless Pettine changes his stripes, we're going to have 2 Rex Ryan style defenses in the AFCE moving forward. Pettine doesn't have a Revis or Cromartie, though, so I don't know who he'll pivot the gameplan around as of now.

Considering our recent results against a Rex Ryan defense, this could only be considered a good thing.

Well, you can feel that way if you like, but I am not impressed by someone who has been a DC for something like 9 years and never has had a defense that could be considered good, because his average defenses were better than the guy who got fired before him.
By yuor argument if KCs next HC wins 3 games he is doing a good job.

You claimed he failed. He did not fail in Cleveland or Dallas. At both stops, in two seasons, he led the team to a stronger defense. There's only so much you can usually do in a short period of time, because you're limited by the talent around you.

It seems more likely to be a personality clash type of situation.

Last edited:
Dallas has to have one of the most underperforming offenses ever.

That's their problem

You claimed he failed. He did not fail in Cleveland or Dallas.
Of course he did.

At both stops, in two seasons, he led the team to a stronger defense. There's only so much you can usually do in a short period of time, because you're limited by the talent around you.
That is a lame excuse. He is paid to coach a good defense not make an excuse that his average or below defense is a good job becuase the guy before did worse when he got fired.

Actually it seems like an owner who thinks his defensive coaching was poor. Thats why people who do not achieve get fired, even if they can point to someone else who once did worse.

Personally I wonder if, while firing somebody, Jerry Jones says things like "You have disappointed me for the last time" and "Now you will learn the true price of failure."

Garrett: I'm not sure how we're going to make the playoffs this year.

Jones: I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Garrett: *Choking sounds*

Romo: Enough. Jerry, release him.

Jones: As you wish.

Cowboys reportedly close to hiring 72 year old Monte Kiffin as their DC:

Sources: Cowboys close to hiring Monte Kiffin

That would be a big change. DeMarcus Ware would be a full time DE, and probably Anthony Spencer as well, with Jay Ratliffe moving inside. Sean Lee, Dan Connor and Bruce Carter seem better fitted as 4-3 LBs. They need a penetrating DT - wonder if they might try and go after Sheldon Richardson in the draft if Kiffin does sign on.

Last edited:
You claimed he failed. He did not fail in Cleveland or Dallas. At both stops, in two seasons, he led the team to a stronger defense. There's only so much you can usually do in a short period of time, because you're limited by the talent around you.

I'd not term Rob Ryan a "failure" either. But I do think personality counts for a lot - and while Rob seemed to be able to keep his mouth shut under Belichick and in other roles, as of late he's been emulating his brother.

That alone isn't necessarily enough to get him fired, but the question remains, is Rob Ryan as a DC getting everything he can out of his Defense - and that's certainly an area where personality enters the equation (with players and other coaches).

None of us know what has gone on behind the scenes but given the fact that he was let go tells us that the feeling in Dallas was that he wasn't doing enough or wasn't fitting in.

The fact that Dallas has been mediocre for 3 seasons, failing to make the playoffs is certainly enough of a reason to consider a change.

I know Rob Ryan remains confident in himself - boasting he'd be unemployed for all of 5 minutes. But last time I checked he's still unemployed, hasn't interviewed for any of the numerous vacancies, and it's been far more than 5 minutes.

So perhaps others look at the Ryan Family Foot in Mouth Disease (insert your own Rex Ryan joke here) and have decided to keep their distance.

I'd not term Rob Ryan a "failure" either. But I do think personality counts for a lot - and while Rob seemed to be able to keep his mouth shut under Belichick and in other roles, as of late he's been emulating his brother.

That alone isn't necessarily enough to get him fired, but the question remains, is Rob Ryan as a DC getting everything he can out of his Defense - and that's certainly an area where personality enters the equation (with players and other coaches).

None of us know what has gone on behind the scenes but given the fact that he was let go tells us that the feeling in Dallas was that he wasn't doing enough or wasn't fitting in.

The fact that Dallas has been mediocre for 3 seasons, failing to make the playoffs is certainly enough of a reason to consider a change.

I know Rob Ryan remains confident in himself - boasting he'd be unemployed for all of 5 minutes. But last time I checked he's still unemployed, hasn't interviewed for any of the numerous vacancies, and it's been far more than 5 minutes.

So perhaps others look at the Ryan Family Foot in Mouth Disease (insert your own Rex Ryan joke here) and have decided to keep their distance.

Ok, but....

2010 (Garrett/Pasqualoni) - 7th/31st
2011 (Garrett/Ryan) - 15th/16th
2012 (Garrett/Ryan) - 15th/24th

The defense was clearly better, and significantly so, in the year without all the injuries. The notion that Ryan failed with the defense there is ridiculous. The offense, meanwhile, declined and stagnated. There's plenty of blame to go around in Dallas, but it should have started with the owner/GM and then gone to the HC/OC, well before it reached the DC.

And most DC jobs are already filled, so it's not surprising that Ryan's not already working with a new team. I feel bad for Cowboys fans, though. They're apparently going to be getting the Tampa 2, which is not a great fit with that team's current defensive personnel.

Last edited:
There's plenty of blame to go around in Dallas, but it should have started with the owner/GM and then gone to the HC/OC, well before it reached the DC.

And most DC jobs are already filled, so it's not surprising that Ryan's not already working with a new team. I feel bad for Cowboys fans, though. They're apparently going to be getting the Tampa 2, which is not a great fit with that team's current defensive personnel.

Did you see where Jones came out and criticized Ryan in the media. What other owner or GM does this? Fires someone, and then to reassure themselves (I guess) publicly criticizes their former coach.

Did you see where Jones came out and criticized Ryan in the media. What other owner or GM does this? Fires someone, and then to reassure themselves (I guess) publicly criticizes their former coach.

It's a horror show for Cowboys fans. We're talking about a man who would fire himself, only he refuses to fire himself. After that, the bar for crazy gets set pretty high.

It's a horror show for Cowboys fans. We're talking about a man who would fire himself, only he refuses to fire himself. After that, the bar for crazy gets set pretty high.
It may be a horror show for Cowboys fans but it's bloody entertaining as an outside observer. Perhaps Jones can hire Lane Kiffin and captain obnoxious can further help to implode the Cowboys.

It makes too much sense to fire Jason Garrett, switch to the 43 hiring Lovie Smith as the HC to oversee the defense and hire a competent OC to oversee the O.

Last edited:

Jerry Jones is turning into Al Davis before our eyes. He's 70-years-old and now has a defensive coordinator who's older than he is. Jason Garrett is going to have to pass out Depends with the whistles at the beginning of training camp. I'm sure the players will relate instantly to Monte Kiffin. Yeesh.

It may be a horror show for Cowboys fans but it's bloody entertaining as an outside observer. Perhaps Jones can hire Lane Kiffin and captain obnoxious can further help to implode the Cowboys.

It makes too much sense to fire Jason Garrett, switch to the 43 hiring Lovie Smith as the HC to oversee the defense and hire a competent OC to oversee the O.
Yes its very entertaining...pass the :popcorn: I hate Dallass almost as much as the jets.

The 'Cover Who?' doesn't even fit with a lot of their personnel. They just dropped a fortune on Brandon Carr and they're going to put him in zone coverage, they're going to have to put Ware on the line, etc...

Between the Eagles collapse and current situation, RG3 being crippled and this, Giants fans must already be betting on the NFCE title next year.

The 'Cover Who?' doesn't even fit with a lot of their personnel. They just dropped a fortune on Brandon Carr and they're going to put him in zone coverage, they're going to have to put Ware on the line, etc...

Between the Eagles collapse and current situation, RG3 being crippled and this, Giants fans must already be betting on the NFCE title next year.
I agree. It's a large reason why I think this move is hilarious given the Cowboys spending spree in 2012.

Jerry Jones is turning into Al Davis before our eyes. He's 70-years-old and now has a defensive coordinator who's older than he is. Jason Garrett is going to have to pass out Depends with the whistles at the beginning of training camp. I'm sure the players will relate instantly to Monte Kiffin. Yeesh.

Dang, I was going to post that Al Davis comment! He's actually looking more like him too. He'll be a ringer once he starts trading.

Took more than 5 minutes but Rob has been named the Rams new DC. I guess they aren't holding that spot for Williams...

the Rams?...wha...the Boneyard Bombers didn't have an opening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back