PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RIP Arnold Palmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP Mr. Palmer

A Gentleman, with a capital G, and one of the true icons of sport.

One of the great sportsmen. Half a lemonade and half an iced tea please

Back in 2001 I asked my sons if they wanted to go to a practice round of the Senior US Open at Salem CC. I was pleasantly surprised when one of them said yes.

As we were walking along the 9th hole I noticed a huge crowd heading our way. They were following Arnold, Jack and Gary. I mentioned to my son that if we head to the empty 11th tee, they'll be along in a few minutes and we'll have the best seat in the house.

After the three of them finished the 10th hole they were heading to our tee when I noticed that Jack and Gary backed off a little to allow Arnie to come up to the tee first. As he did there was some polite applause.

That's when I spoke up and reminded the crowd that this wasn't just anybody here, this was Arnold Palmer. The crowd erupted into a roar and Arnie looked at me, smiled and said thank you.

They don't make them like Arnie anymore.

Really didn't know anything about him aside the tea before last night sadly, after watching Torico's recap, he sounds like a great guy. RIP.

He changed the game in the perception of the public forever.

I was fortunate to be able to watch him play once when I was a kid. I stood outside the fence by a Green during a Tournament (couldn't afford the Admission). I remember him walking up to the green, surrounded by Arnie's Army along the then roughly defined spectator lines (no marshals and rope lines with security in those days). He was smoking a cigarette and I remember him putting his smoke on the edge of the green when he putted and then picking it up as he moved along to the next hold.

Jack and Gary were in the same tournament and I watched them as well that day, but we were all there standing along the side of the road to see Arnie.

Another day, another time...but what a day and time.

RIP

Last edited:
True story. Way way back in 1969 i was watching the Johnny Carson show, one of his guests was Arnold Palmers wife. He asked her what she did to give her husbaned good luck, she said "I kiss his balls" to which Carson replied "does it make his putter stand up"?:p

Anyways while i was never into golf Arnie Palmer came across as a real class act. RIP AP

Last edited:
We lost one of the greatest sports icons of all time this weekend. Prayers and condolences to his family and friends.

This. May the good Lord rest and keep his immortal soul.

The four of us kids would play golf everyday and we all took a name of a pro. One friend was Arnold Palmer, who would brag to us about his accomplishments. I'm thankful that he chose Arne and feel like we lost more then a legend yesterday. RIP.

Pour one out for my homies...
tumblr_mho8skEoeO1rs4p74o2_1280.jpg

RIP Arnie, he made golf into a much more popular spectator sport, he was a big in his time as Tiger Woods, minus the scandal.

Poor Jack Nicklaus was a villan to many for being better than Arnie.

Arnie made the game accessible for all of us, the game's greatest ambassador RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case