PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ridley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring Ridley along, he has the potential to be the back who takes over games. There is no one I'd rather have carrying the ball in the fourth quarter running down the clock then BJGE. I think everyone can agree with that.

Everyone except BB. In the dolphins game protecting a 3 point lead we were giving the rock to Ridley not BJGE. Ridley has pretty clearly taken over the #1 spot BJGE is a good short yardage runner and if his toe becomes an issue again I think Polite takes that role on the goaline etc. But I think Ridley gets the bulk of the carries going forward.

Those 5 wins are likely only because of MJD. It's not even close.

MJD is Bill Belichick's dream RB. Strong, fast, solid at blitz pick up, good hands, fantastic vision. Man, I'd give up a lot to have him here, seriously.

Everyone except BB. In the dolphins game protecting a 3 point lead we were giving the rock to Ridley not BJGE. Ridley has pretty clearly taken over the #1 spot BJGE is a good short yardage runner and if his toe becomes an issue again I think Polite takes that role on the goaline etc. But I think Ridley gets the bulk of the carries going forward.

Yeah, but, when Ridley coughed up the ball (luckily it bounced OB), it got me to think, give ball back to BJGE.

Yeah, but, when Ridley coughed up the ball (luckily it bounced OB), it got me to think, give ball back to BJGE.

Then back in came BJGE for some touches, coincidence. Not so much......

Really? You'd get rid of Ridley and his 5 yards a carry for BJGE and his 3 yards a carry? I think it's pretty clear which one is the better runner.

BJGE has way more carries, and Ridley carries against bad teams in garbage time, though to be fair we have faced bad teams all year.

Woodhead probably compliments us best outside the redzone, as we are a passing team and he is like a RB Welker.

Last edited:

Like the poster said earlier ball security is very important but so is being effective. Up until this recent game no body was claiming BJGE looked good. He wasn't explosive at all and was not finishing runs like before his injury.

BJGE has way more carries, and Ridley carries against bad teams in garbage time, though to be fair we have faced bad teams all year.

Woodhead probably compliments us best outside the redzone, as we are a passing team and he is like a RB Welker.

Need to check your facts...

The carries vs DEN were against a bad team? The carries vs BUF in Q1 were in garbage time? The carries vs MIA were not all garbage time either.

Anyway you slice it, since getting regular work in the last 3 games he is averaging 70 yds per game and 5.4 ypc.

BJGE hasn't been over 4 ypc since before Thanksgiving. Hes hurting and not producing anywhere close to Ridley.

Last edited:
Need to check your facts...

The carries vs DEN was against a bad team? The carries vs BUF in Q1 was in garbage time? The carries vs MIA were not all garbage time.

Anyway you slice it, since getting regular work in the last 3 games he is averaging 70 yds per game and 5.4 ypc.

BJGE hasn't been over 4 ypc since before Thanksgiving. Hes hurting and not producing anywhere close to Ridley.

Be interesting in off-season, if Patriots resign BGJE. I think BGJE & Ridley is a good combo...

Be interesting in off-season, if Patriots resign BGJE. I think BGJE & Ridley is a good combo...

I want BJGE resigned. We've seen him healthy and hes good and reliable. He shows promise but the jury is out on Ridley still as it relates to him being a feature back. My point is that his ability to make yardage and break tackles makes the defense respect the playmaking aspect of the running game.

I'm assuming Faulk will retire and Woodhead and Vereen will split the 200 or so touches that KF would get otherwise.

Ridley is obviously the more explosive and dynamic runner, but I do not look at the backfield and make value judgements about the players. Football is a game where chemistry amongst teammates is of importance.

Both running backs compliment each other pretty well, and I think the Ridley/BJGE combo is going to be very important for New England this postseason in order to string together long drives to keep the defense fresh and to allow BOB to dip deep into the play-sheet and keep opposing defenses guessing and on their heels.

I want BJGE resigned. We've seen him healthy and hes good and reliable. He shows promise but the jury is out on Ridley still as it relates to him being a feature back. My point is that his ability to make yardage and break tackles makes the defense respect the playmaking aspect of the running game.

I'm assuming Faulk will retire and Woodhead and Vereen will split the 200 or so touches that KF would get otherwise.

BJGE is not fast (as seen on his breakout run against Bills, which he should have had a TD, but he ran out of steam), but very reliable (0 fumbles). I hope
he does not be another "show me the money" type of player...

That's exactly what it is yes, for the reasons I mentioned...which I got from reading Pat Kirwan's book 'Take Your Eye Off The Ball' which is a must read for anyone interested in the Xs and Os of the game and how the league works! I learnt so much from that book...I thought I knew a lot before I read it...I had no idea how much I didn't know!

The idea is to take the strain off of one guy, and prolong his career, and have a solid committee which lasts you a decent amount of time. The old feature back way of things resulted in agonisingly short careers for some Running Backs.

Thanks for the book reference, I'l check it. the screen pass seems like a life saver for QB's, who's our best option for catching out of the backfield besides faulk and Woody.

Ridley
BJGE
Vereen

Clearly the one who hasn't fumbled and has a penchant for knocking in touchdowns. Neither has to be considered better than the other as they are working well with one another and Woodhead.

It doesnt so much seem they are working together as it seems BJGE WAS the #1 and Ridley the #2, and now it has become the opposite. My point was that is seems obvious why from watching them run.

BJGE is not fast (as seen on his breakout run against Bills, which he should have had a TD, but he ran out of steam), but very reliable (0 fumbles).

I put ball security ahead of speed in terms of skills needed for your #1, between the tackles type back. Ridley fumbled yesterday, no?

But he dropped a ball, yesterday, and lucky us the ball came out the field.
Do this in playoff and see what will happen.

Does the ball bounce in a different direction if its a playoff game?

I prefer Ridley going forward, but at this point in time I think that there very much is a question over which one is better. They both have a role, though, so it's no some pressing issue where they're competing for a roster spot.

But it is basically the same role, and they are competing for who gets more snaps. Thats probably more important than the last spot on the roster competition.

It's early and he's barely a rookie,but one has to wonder if Vereen will ever have a place on this team.

He's been healthy but hasn't really shown anything when he has been in there.

Your last sentence is just simply incorrect. While it is a very limited sample, there is nothing negative about Vereens play when he has been in there.

i don't understand the obsession with picking a #1. they are turning out to be a good tandem. I think they have been resting bjge and his toe and i expect big games from both of them in the playoffs. still incredible that bjge has not fumbled.....ever.

How is asking an opinion an obsession?

I like our RB committee right now..

BJGE: Tough consistent runner always good for 3 or 4 yards to move the chains; Good option for short yard situations; Doesn't fumble the ball; Lacks speed

Ridley: A very balanced runner who can break tackles and burst through the hole; Potential breakaway threat; Lacks experience

Woodhead: Speedy agile back with good acceleration; Potential breakaway threat; Good hands out of the backfield; Lacks strength, won't break many tackles

I think these 3 runners compliment each other very nicely if you think about it. If these guys can get the job done it will be much easier for Brady and the passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe