PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ridley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ball Security is an awesome tangible for a RB to possess but if that's your best and only asset(as it's been for BJGE the last 3 weeks) than your not a #1 in this league. He was ineffective in the 1st half and better in the second, thats the best we've seen him recently and he didn't do anything earth shattering.

In this offense, the ideal seems a RB that consistently get's 4-6 ypc. Never facing 8 in the box this seems completely attainable imo for Ridley.

Ball security is something that can be improved see Kevin Faulk, Adrian peterson or Tiki Barber. Not having the ability to break long runs and generally be a playmaker however, can not.

i don't understand the obsession with picking a #1. they are turning out to be a good tandem. I think they have been resting bjge and his toe and i expect big games from both of them in the playoffs. still incredible that bjge has not fumbled.....ever.

I agree with this sentiment- I am happy with the RB corp we have now. They are all good in their own ways, and I don't think we have the same level of frustration we had in the Maroney or Fred Taylor era.

I like our RB committee right now..

BJGE: Tough consistent runner always good for 3 or 4 yards to move the chains; Good option for short yard situations; Doesn't fumble the ball; Lacks speed

Ridley: A very balanced runner who can break tackles and burst through the hole; Potential breakaway threat; Lacks experience

Woodhead: Speedy agile back with good acceleration; Potential breakaway threat; Good hands out of the backfield; Lacks strength, won't break many tackles

I think these 3 runners compliment each other very nicely if you think about it. If these guys can get the job done it will be much easier for Brady and the passing game.

I think the point here is that Woodhead's role is clear, but BJGE and Ridleys are not.
The snaps with a traditional RB will be split anywhere from all to BJGE to all to Ridley and end up somewhere in between.
Earlier in the year BJGE was clearly the #1 and Ridley the back up who came in on a limited basis. Lately it seems to be the opposite.
My feeling is that looking at both of them run, its clear to me that given the plays we call Ridley would clearly be more productive.
I get that BJGE has a value with ball security, but the point is to move the ball, not to protect it until you punt.

I agree with this sentiment- I am happy with the RB corp we have now. They are all good in their own ways, and I don't think we have the same level of frustration we had in the Maroney or Fred Taylor era.

OK, so how would you split the carries between BJGE and Ridley.
Lets say there are 20 to go around, how would you split them up?
It seems BB has shifted his preference from around 3/1 in favor of BJGE to 2/1 in favor of Ridley

I also don't see the importance of naming a #1 running back. I'm fine with BJGE, Ridley and Woodhead for the playoffs and for the future.
================================

We will have much time in the off-season to discuss what skill set is missing in these three. This will help us understand the needed roles to be filled by an additional running back or two in 2012. Presumably, Vareen will be back trying to find a role (the presumption is that he can come back healthy). And personally, I would like to see Polite in the mix in 2012 as a fullback, short yardage back and special teamer. Alternatively, we should find another veteran for that role. I don't like using our offensive lineman as running backs.
====================================

We are better set at running back than at any time since the day Dillon left. I see improvement after the youngsters have their first full training camp and offseason.

Last edited:
I think Ridley is their best back right now but Ai love the group as a whole and feel like RB is a big strength for them for the next couple of years, even with Faulk's impending retirement. i would love to see them give faulk an assistant coaching position to help Fears with the RB's, he's a great influence and source of knowledge for them and he's a winner, he would always be great to have around the team.

His ceiling is higher than BJGE, that's for sure. He's just more athletic. BJGE is more "dependable" though.

OK, so how would you split the carries between BJGE and Ridley.
Lets say there are 20 to go around, how would you split them up?
It seems BB has shifted his preference from around 3/1 in favor of BJGE to 2/1 in favor of Ridley

It would be dictated by which teams we face, and who has the hot hand.

For example, in the first Jets game, we did give Ridley some reps but he wasn't getting anywhere, so we just gave the ball to BJGE who got 136 yards and 2 TDs.

Against the teams that had smaller, quicker and more athletic linebackers, we've used Ridley with success. He had success against Oakland, and in the past two games so we rode him for the most part.

Each RB has their own particular skill set. Each RB will have success with different teams. When we face Pittsburgh in the conference championship you can bet we will use a heavy dose of BJGE.

Although I am the worst BJGE homer you will find on this board, I do recognize his lack of speed. He doesn't have homerun speed. But I see nothing wrong with that, because of the particular offense we use. We have one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the NFL, so we'll naturally be a pass-first offense. I believe BJGE compliments that by being a steady grinder, a clock-killer, and he keeps the defense honest (and this is reflected in the tremendous success our play-action has had).

Also don't forget that we've been using a patch-work OL that is a far cry from what we had when this season first started, and from what we had last year.

It would be dictated by which teams we face, and who has the hot hand.

For example, in the first Jets game, we did give Ridley some reps but he wasn't getting anywhere, so we just gave the ball to BJGE who got 136 yards and 2 TDs.

Against the teams that had smaller, quicker and more athletic linebackers, we've used Ridley with success. He had success against Oakland, and in the past two games so we rode him for the most part.

I don't think that is the reason. OAK plays a 4-3 and Wimbley is 245, McClain is 254 and Groves is 250 so they aren't small per se. The Jets played a lot of nickel/dime that game and BJGE was healthy. That was the difference. In that 1st game, BJGE had 7 carries in the 1st qtr. 1 2nd qtr, 8 in the 3rd and 9 in the 4th. The different looks could have confused Ridley. Whatever the reason, BJGE hits the holes hard vs nickel/dime defense and did well.

Each RB has their own particular skill set. Each RB will have success with different teams. When we face Pittsburgh in the conference championship you can bet we will use a heavy dose of BJGE.

Pitt plays a 3-4 and is #9 vs the run and #4 vs the pass and #1 overall. If BB gives Pitt a heavy dose of BJGE the Pats will lose. They need to make plays. With the exception of Woodley, Pitts LBs are smaller, but very fast. Considering BJGE had 9 yards in 5 carries, it would make more sense to see what Ridley could do vs that speed.

Although I am the worst BJGE homer you will find on this board, I do recognize his lack of speed. He doesn't have homerun speed. But I see nothing wrong with that, because of the particular offense we use. We have one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the NFL, so we'll naturally be a pass-first offense. I believe BJGE compliments that by being a steady grinder, a clock-killer, and he keeps the defense honest (and this is reflected in the tremendous success our play-action has had).

As long as they are winning. When they are losing and are struggling to pass, they need a RB that can attack the D and pose the threat of a big play, etc.

Also don't forget that we've been using a patch-work OL that is a far cry from what we had when this season first started, and from what we had last year.

What does that mean? Are you implying that BJGE is not as effective because of that and that Ridley can create his own opportunities?

Last edited:
I don't think that is the reason. OAK plays a 4-3 and Wimbley is 245, McClain is 254 and Groves is 250 so they aren't small per se.

Maybe not that small, but they are athletic.

Pitt plays a 3-4 and is #9 vs the run and #4 vs the pass and #1 overall. If BB gives Pitt a heavy dose of BJGE the Pats will lose. They need to make plays. With the exception of Woodley, Pitts LBs are smaller, but very fast. Considering BJGE had 9 yards in 5 carries, it would make more sense to see what Ridley could do vs that speed.

He wasn't the reason we lost to them earlier this year. Last year when Pittsburgh was the #1 run D, BJGE dropped 87 yards on them.

As long as they are winning. When they are losing and are struggling to pass, they need a RB that can attack the D and pose the threat of a big play, etc.

Are you kidding me? When they're struggling to pass, they CONTINUE to pass. That's been the big problem this season.

What does that mean? Are you implying that BJGE is not as effective because of that and that Ridley can create his own opportunities?

Ridley can create his own opportunities, but against a real good defense, the blocking has to help out, and it hasn't been anywhere near the level it was last year.

Last edited:
I think all our RB's compliment eachother well...I think though that Ridley deserves most of the carries in the playoffs. 5.1YPC and the most 20yard gains by any RB on our roster is no joke.

BJGE is good for those goal line situations or where you need that tough one or two yards. hes pretty much automatic in those situations

and woodhead is our 3rd down/change of pace back with WR abilities

so, I think they all serve a purpose. but we saw how the jets shut down BJGE last year and I would trust ridley to make the most of his opportunities in getting the run game going and using BJGE situationally.

I think its clearly what the pats are moving towards as you saw Ridley take most of the snaps this week against the bills

Maybe not that small, but they are athletic.

And Pitts LBs aren't?

He wasn't the reason we lost to them earlier this year. Last year when Pittsburgh was the #1 run D, BJGE dropped 87 yards on them.

Agreed. BJGE ran very well vs Pitt and I think his 2nd 1/2 running helped open things up for TB and the offense.

Are you kidding me? When they're struggling to pass, they CONTINUE to pass. That's been the big problem this season.

That is the reason you need a threat in the backfield to change the look and potential threats to the defense.

Ridley can create his own opportunities, but against a real good defense, the blocking has to help out, and it hasn't been anywhere near the level it was last year.

Agreed and coupled w/ BJGE's injury, that makes him a liability when the passing game needs help. The Pats o-line is not a power blocking unit. They need a runner that can, sometimes make their own yardage.

Last edited:
Ridley looks better than I expected this late in the season.

Ridley is a capable sideline RB. Its shocks me when he actually gets to the edge, and makes a gain, as his speed doesn't make the defense look slow. His gains could easily go for losses if a block isn't made. But that might be a good thing, as he is aware that he needs the offense to set up the play, and that he doesn't need to freelance some forced yards on the ground.

If Ridley put on a few more pounds he could be a north south runner, but at this time he can't drive the running lanes well enough to merit play time over BJGE.

The off season will do wonders for everyone on the team.

Its not a reach to consider that:
Ridley is competing for time over BJGE.
Vereen is competing for play time over Woodhead.
And Faulk is hear to teach pass blocking to the both of them.

BJGE and Woodhead had to compete for play time. I don't see a need to rush anything, as it worked out well for BJGE and Woodhead in BB's system. The rookies will be starters here in NE soon enough, but they do have to earn their play time.

Ridley: A very balanced runner who can break tackles and burst through the hole; Potential breakaway threat; Lacks experience

I don't know if fumbling the ball is part of lacking experience, but I'd say that's another issue I see with Ridley. Hopefully that'll be resolved through coaching.

-Jamman

It doesnt so much seem they are working together as it seems BJGE WAS the #1 and Ridley the #2, and now it has become the opposite. My point was that is seems obvious why from watching them run.
It doesn't seem obvious to me at all. One guy has been playing through turf toe all season and still gets the trusted goal line duties, the other is a young, up and coming RB with big play potential.

I think the point here is that Woodhead's role is clear, but BJGE and Ridleys are not.
The snaps with a traditional RB will be split anywhere from all to BJGE to all to Ridley and end up somewhere in between.
Earlier in the year BJGE was clearly the #1 and Ridley the back up who came in on a limited basis. Lately it seems to be the opposite.
My feeling is that looking at both of them run, its clear to me that given the plays we call Ridley would clearly be more productive.
I get that BJGE has a value with ball security, but the point is to move the ball, not to protect it until you punt.
All three have defined roles in the offense to me. You have two weeks worth of exposure to Stevan Ridley getting the start and all of a sudden the depth chart and importance factors have changed? That's called a knee jerk reaction, the very same that was demonstrated after the Oakland game.

It doesn't seem obvious to me at all. One guy has been playing through turf toe all season and still gets the trusted goal line duties, the other is a young, up and coming RB with big play potential.
So you dont see better running from Ridley than BJGE?

All three have defined roles in the offense to me. You have two weeks worth of exposure to Stevan Ridley getting the start and all of a sudden the depth chart and importance factors have changed? That's called a knee jerk reaction, the very same that was demonstrated after the Oakland game.

I disagree that they have defined roles. I think they have ever changing and developing roles.
I put 2 and 2 together and noticed that the fact that the guy who looks clearly better running the ball is the guy getting more reps than ever and the guy who looks sluggish is getting less than ever.
I guess you could stick with the change means nothing, but that seems to be ignoring the facts.

So you dont see better running from Ridley than BJGE?
Not in particular, I see Ridley hitting gaps at speed and Green-Ellis looking somewhat tentative, waiting for blocks to develop far too much at present.

I disagree that they have defined roles. I think they have ever changing and developing roles.
I put 2 and 2 together and noticed that the fact that the guy who looks clearly better running the ball is the guy getting more reps than ever and the guy who looks sluggish is getting less than ever.
I guess you could stick with the change means nothing, but that seems to be ignoring the facts.
The roles are clearly defined at present Andy. Ridley looks to be the open play back, Green-Ellis the short yardage thumper and Woodhead 3rd down or passing down back.

My contention is I am looking forward to seeing BOB stuff around with the defenses and mixing up their roles. I'm happy with the committee approach as all three bring something different to the offense and all three appear to be performing.

Last edited:
Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc.:

"One thing New England can do to help its defense is continue to feature Ridley more and more in their running game. He was excellent Sunday and is clearly the best Patriots' runner."

Last edited:
Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc.:

"One thing New England can do to help its defense is continue to feature Ridley more and more in their running game. He was excellent Sunday and is clearly the best Patriots' runner."

Oh well **** if ol Matt Williamson says so then it must be true:rolleyes::D

Not in particular, I see Ridley hitting gaps at speed and Green-Ellis looking somewhat tentative, waiting for blocks to develop far too much at present.
That would define better to me. I guess we have a different yardstick. Thats fine.

The roles are clearly defined at present Andy. Ridley looks to be the open play back, Green-Ellis the short yardage thumper and Woodhead 3rd down or passing down back.
Well that is a deparature from what the roles have been up until the last few weeks. That is pretty much the point I was making, that Ridley has overtaken him as the primary runner.

My contention is I am looking forward to seeing BOB stuff around with the defenses and mixing up their roles. I'm happy with the committee approach as all three bring something different to the offense and all three appear to be performing.
I think they have been performing at different levels of effectiveness, with Ridley playing very well, BJGE struggling, and Woodhead doing what he always does in his role.
It seems that you agree with me, but only know how to type that you disagree.:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News