PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ridley

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would define better to me. I guess we have a different yardstick. Thats fine.

Well that is a deparature from what the roles have been up until the last few weeks. That is pretty much the point I was making, that Ridley has overtaken him as the primary runner.

I think they have been performing at different levels of effectiveness, with Ridley playing very well, BJGE struggling, and Woodhead doing what he always does in his role.
It seems that you agree with me, but only know how to type that you disagree.:D:D
I'm not disagreeing with you I am disagreeing that their roles have changed because they haven't. All that's changed is that Ridley is getting more carries at present, owing to a number of reasons. I'm perfectly at ease with that because all three are doing their job.

Last edited:
All three have defined roles in the offense to me. You have two weeks worth of exposure to Stevan Ridley getting the start and all of a sudden the depth chart and importance factors have changed? That's called a knee jerk reaction, the very same that was demonstrated after the Oakland game.

The roles are clearly defined at present Andy. Ridley looks to be the open play back, Green-Ellis the short yardage thumper and Woodhead 3rd down or passing down back.

Can you please clarify?
In one post you call thinking the roles have changed is a knee jerk reaction and imply it has no bearing on the 'importance factors'. Yet in the next you describe the roles as having fully changed.

Andy, your point is probably somewhere already in this thread but hell if I'm gonna go try and find it.

What is your point? Ridley is the best RB in NE?

Can you please clarify?
In one post you call thinking the roles have changed is a knee jerk reaction and imply it has no bearing on the 'importance factors'. Yet in the next you describe the roles as having fully changed.
I think you need to go back and read the thread again Andy if that's what you think my position to be.

Save that comment, it's fair that you simply don't understand nor comprehend simple notions.

Last edited:
Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc.:

"One thing New England can do to help its defense is continue to feature Ridley more and more in their running game. He was excellent Sunday and is clearly the best Patriots' runner."

This is the same Williamson who said Sanchez has "big-play knack." So as another poster has alread stated, whatever he says is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I'm not disagreeing with you I am disagreeing that their roles have changed because they haven't. All that's changed is that Ridley is getting more carries at present, owing to a number of reasons. I'm perfectly at ease with that because all three are doing their job.

But you just said they have changed and BJGE is the short yardage back and Ridley is the #1.
Before 3 weeks ago BJGE had more than 3 times the number of carries of Ridley. If you say he is the short yardage back now, then the roles have changed.
BJGE had 150 carries in the first 11 games and 31 in the last 5. That is a reduction from 13.5 to 6.2.
Ridley had 48 carries in the first 13 games and 39 in the last 3.
That is an increase from 3.7 to 13.
How can you say the roles haven't changed? I don't understand.
It seems you are disagreeing just because you want to disagree.

I think you need to go back and read the thread again Andy if that's what you think my position to be.

Save that comment, it's fair that you simply don't understand nor comprehend simple notions.

I see one comment that says the roles havent changed and another that says they have.
How could I possibly understand or comprehend 2 comments that directly conflict with each other from one person in 10 minutes?
Please clarify which you meant and which you didnt.

But you just said they have changed and BJGE is the short yardage back and Ridley is the #1.
Before 3 weeks ago BJGE had more than 3 times the number of carries of Ridley. If you say he is the short yardage back now, then the roles have changed.
BJGE had 150 carries in the first 11 games and 31 in the last 5. That is a reduction from 13.5 to 6.2.
Ridley had 48 carries in the first 13 games and 39 in the last 3.
That is an increase from 3.7 to 13.
How can you say the roles haven't changed? I don't understand.
It seems you are disagreeing just because you want to disagree.
No I did not, I said the three have clearly defined roles at present. You're attempting to make an argument from something I have not said.

I'm not going over this with you again. Don't expect a reply past this post in this thread.

Last edited:
Andy, your point is probably somewhere already in this thread but hell if I'm gonna go try and find it.

What is your point? Ridley is the best RB in NE?

Its in the OP. Is there any doubt now that Ridley is our best RB?

No I did not, I said the three have clearly defined roles at present. You're attempting to make an argument from something I have not said.

I'm not going over this with you again. Don't expect a reply past this post in this thread.

I posted your exact words.
You said this:

I'm not disagreeing with you I am disagreeing that their roles have changed because they haven't.
You said this
The roles are clearly defined at present Andy. Ridley looks to be the open play back, Green-Ellis the short yardage thumper and Woodhead 3rd down or passing down back.
No one would agree that Ridley was the 'open running back' (although I'm not quite sure what that means) and BJGE was the 'short-yardage thumper' all season.
How could there roles now be clearly defined as something they were not all season long yet not have changed?
I am seriously trying to understand you here, but you are conflicting with your self.

Do you think the roles have not changed, or do you think BJGE is now the 'short yardage thumper'?

Why be such a baby?
I am trying to have a discussion. If you get all plssy because your posts don't make sense how do you ever expect to be understood or to have a legitimate discussion?
You do this every time.

It's clear the roles have changed. Ridley played sparingly and not only was BJGE getting the short yardage runs but pretty much all of them minus a few to Woodhead and Faulk.

BJGE has seen his touches decrease significantly outside of the goal line. Even on our 1st touchdown drive on Sunday Ridley was given 1st crack at getting into the EZ on 1st down.

Ridley just needs to secure the ball toward the end of runs especially when he's finishing strong and he will remain where he is in reference to his amount of touches. There is no aspect of BJGE's game that Ridley can't duplicate(assuming he tucks that ball away in the future) but the same can't be said of BJGE. I like BJGE with the amount of touches he's getting and the goal line work.

It's clear the roles have changed. Ridley played sparingly and not only was BJGE getting the short yardage runs but pretty much all of them minus a few to Woodhead and Faulk.

BJGE has seen his touches decrease significantly outside of the goal line. Even on our 1st touchdown drive on Sunday Ridley was given 1st crack at getting into the EZ on 1st down.

Ridley just needs to secure the ball toward the end of runs especially when he's finishing strong and he will remain where he is in reference to his amount of touches. There is no aspect of BJGE's game that Ridley can't duplicate(assuming he tucks that ball away in the future) but the same can't be said of BJGE. I like BJGE with the amount of touches he's getting and the goal line work.
I really don't think the roles have changed WPP, I think they have a clearer definition now than before.

When Ridley was first injected into the line up, he was playing the same role within the offense, it's just that as the Law Firm's impact began to diminish thanks to his turf toe, Ridley got a few more carries as did Woodhead. The Patriots have been masterful at riding the hot hand during games or in critical situations. It's really only been the last 3 weeks that Ridley's had more of an expanded role in the offense.

Here's a quick breakdown of the last 4 games (I'll use the last quarter of the season as a recent representation).

Code:
[B]Player       Starts Carries YPC Yards TD R-Yards TD[/B]

Green-Ellis      00      20 3.4    68 03      85 00
Ridley           02      39 5.4   210 00      00 00
Woodhead         02      20 5.2   106 01      26 00

For the record, I am happy with the use of the Patriots RB committee at present. I happen to believe that Green-Ellis' injury has lead to greater exposure to Ridley and do believe him to be an exciting back in the making.

The Pats are managing all three well at present.

Last edited:
I really don't think the roles have changed WPP, I think they have a clearer definition now than before.

When Ridley was first injected into the line up, he was playing the same role within the offense, it's just that as the Law Firm's impact began to diminish thanks to his turf toe, Ridley got a few more carries as did Woodhead. The Patriots have been masterful at riding the hot hand during games or in critical situations. It's really only been the last 3 weeks that Ridley's had more of an expanded role in the offense.

Here's a quick breakdown of the last 4 games (I'll use the last quarter of the season as a recent representation).

Code:
[B]Player       Starts Carries YPC Yards TD R-Yards TD[/B]

Green-Ellis      00      20 3.4    68 03      85 00
Ridley           02      39 5.4   210 00      00 00
Woodhead         02      20 5.2   106 01      26 00

For the record, I am happy with the use of the Patriots RB committee at present. I happen to believe that Green-Ellis' injury has lead to greater exposure to Ridley and do believe him to be an exciting back in the making.

The Pats are managing all three well at present.

I hear ya, I think we define "role" differently is all. What do you consider Ridley's role to be currently given the last 4 weeks? I think BJGE will be healthy as he can be after the bye, having that said do you still think the touches remain as is.

I hear ya, I think we define "role" differently is all. What do you consider Ridley's role to be currently given the last 4 weeks? I think BJGE will be healthy as he can be after the bye, having that said do you still think the touches remain as is.
For mine, it's the same as earlier in the season. He looks a better open field RB to me than Green-Ellis as he's hitting the holes hard and exploding through the gaps whereas Green-Ellis isn't doing that until he gets near the end zone. It's strange given we know he can do it, so it's an obvious TT management issue.

Ridley's getting the starts because he's running well and doesn't appear to be carrying anything. Given the fact that he's basically doubling Green-Ellis and Woodhead's carries at present, you'd have to think he's the workhorse back, however BOB and BB turned to Green-Ellis in the fourth. The cloth is being cut both ways at present.

I like what the Pats have done with Ridley of late. They've managed Green-Ellis into the playoffs whilst getting valuable game time development into Ridley. Going hand in hand with that is the fact that Ridley has run well when given that opportunity. If only he could start to find the endzone.

The great unknown, and as I've mentioned elsewhere is Hernandez in the run game. He's almost a fourth back playing the H back role as Joker has ordained. That's another massive wrinkle to the offense, one which I hope we continue to exploit.

But he dropped a ball, yesterday, and lucky us the ball came out the field.
Do this in playoff and see what will happen.

dude that's one play. i'm sure the coaching staff will work with him over the next TWO weeks so as he is able to secure the ball when someone comes up from behind.

For mine, it's the same as earlier in the season. He looks a better open field RB to me than Green-Ellis as he's hitting the holes hard and exploding through the gaps whereas Green-Ellis isn't doing that until he gets near the end zone. It's strange given we know he can do it, so it's an obvious TT management issue.

Agreed. I also think BJGE looked better Sunday than he had any of the previous 4 weeks.

Ridley's getting the starts because he's running well and doesn't appear to be carrying anything. Given the fact that he's basically doubling Green-Ellis and Woodhead's carries at present, you'd have to think he's the workhorse back, however BOB and BB turned to Green-Ellis in the fourth. The cloth is being cut both ways at present.

I think BJGE getting the touches in the 4th were due to a couple factors. They can't go totally away from BJGE, and he needs reps as well entering the bye week. So there's that and the fumble didn't help, so justly the rook should've lost a few carries.

I like what the Pats have done with Ridley of late. They've managed Green-Ellis into the playoffs whilst getting valuable game time development into Ridley. Going hand in hand with that is the fact that Ridley has run well when given that opportunity. If only he could start to find the endzone.

I think Ridley not finding paydirt is by design, he only got one opportunity in the RZ last game. I think he can produce if he is given the chance there. My prediction is that the touches stay the same in the PS, and Ridley will continue to provide the spark to the running game. He consistently breaks off nice runs and this offense needs that. We seem to get very unbalanced in the postseason which just makes us easier to defend.

The great unknown, and as I've mentioned elsewhere is Hernandez in the run game. He's almost a fourth back playing the H back role as Joker has ordained. That's another massive wrinkle to the offense, one which I hope we continue to exploit.

I like what we've done with AH but of all the runs I've seen they're mainly misdirection type gadget plays. Like the reverse on Sunday I don't see us using the outside stuff as much against Defenses like Baltimore or Pitt with their speed on D

You do this every time.

Sorry, couldn't help but lol at this. Y'all sound like a married couple.

As far as Ridley goes, yeah he's pretty good :cool:

SOME of the difference in YPC is situational. Nobody ever gained 5 yards on a play that started at the opponent's 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey