PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My 2024 draft

What has Hill & Waddle done for Tua? Sure, they helped him pad stats against dregs of the league. But the guy can't beat good teams. And things need to be near perfect around him.

Zero playoff wins as well. They weren't eve close last night.

They made a qb who most found a massive disappointment into a qb who alot were thinking was a top 5 qb so the impact they had was obvious.

Tua still not being a playoff winner doesn’t change the fact that the wr didn’t transform him to an extent.

For those of you wanting to wait to take a QB in the 2025 draft:

1) Who’s worthy of drafting in 2025? Shedeur Sanders?? It’s a bad year for QBs.
2) Who says we’ll have the opportunity to draft an “upper echelon” qb in the first/second round?

This qb class is by FAR more talented/dynamic and we have a top 3 pick. It’s literally being handed to us on a silver platter. Why wait?

Those wanting to wait for a QB must not be interested in actually competing until 26’/27’. Even if they take one at #3 you have to give them a season to get adjusted to the NFL.

For those of you wanting to wait to take a QB in the 2025 draft:

1) Who’s worthy of drafting in 2025? Shedeur Sanders?? It’s a bad year for QBs.
2) Who says we’ll have the opportunity to draft an “upper echelon” qb in the first/second round?

This qb class is by FAR more talented/dynamic and we have a top 3 pick. It’s literally being handed to us on a silver platter. Why wait?
It doesn’t have to be this year or next year. Also we don’t know what QB class will end up better just yet. 2021 was hyped up as being the best QB class since 1983. Look how that’s turned out so far. Five QB’s taken in the first 15 picks, including our guy. Last time that happened was the 1999 class which featured Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper, and Cade McNown.

As I mentioned earlier, we’re not merely a QB away from contention. There are still many holes that need to be filled. We’ll see what the combine shows but if you’re thinking a guy like Jayden Daniels because he won a Heisman, he might be an overdraft at 3rd overall. Didn’t break out until his fifth year in college (usually want someone who’s had his breakout within his first three years). Very frail for a QB at 6-3 and 185 lbs. For comparison’s sake, Bryce Young is shorter at 6-0 and still weighs more at 194 lbs. Isn’t just some kid that we can expect to fill out his frame more either, he just turned 23 last month. That skinny kid from Michigan that we drafted back in 2000, he was 6-4 and 211 lbs. at the time.

I’m all for taking Caleb Williams or Drake Maye if either are still there at 3. But those two as of now are in a tier of their own compared to the rest of the draft class at QB. It would be a mistake to pass on the best player in the draft class, a player who can be every bit a foundation for this franchise as the next QB, simply out of desperation. Let’s not make the same mistake the Jets have made.

Those wanting to wait for a QB must not be interested in actually competing until 26’/27’. Even if they take one at #3 you have to give them a season to get adjusted to the NFL.
Usually that’s the case, sure, but not always. We just saw C.J. Stroud turn around a franchise on its 4th head coach in 4 years, coming off 3 consecutive losing seasons, and won the division and its first playoff game this year, all in his rookie season. He beat a quarterback in Joe Flacco, who once took his team to the AFC championship game in his rookie season. That year, Flacco’s Ravens lost to Ben Roethlisberger’s Steelers, the same Ben who himself brought a team to the AFC championship game in his rookie season.

You’ll also notice that all three examples I mentioned, those teams were all in different stages of their development. The Texans had three straight losing seasons prior to Stroud. The Ravens had one losing season prior and were two seasons removed from a 13-3 campaign. The Steelers were a perennial playoff contender coming off a losing season and three years removed from their last AFC championship game appearance.

The right quarterback makes all the difference in the world. But also so does the right coaching staff and front office. So there’s more to it of course. But remember that any rookie QB taken early is a multiple year committment. It means if someone emerges in the 2025 or 2026 class then too bad, you already picked your guy in 2024. It’s not about not wanting to compete soon, it’s about looking at the big picture. You can still compete sooner if you nail your picks and trades and free agent signings just right. The Texans drafted Stroud and Tank Dell, and signed Dalton Schultz and Devin Singletary as free agents, and that offense transformed right away despite having very real questions about their offensive line heading into the year.

But Stroud was already consensus top 2 along with Bryce Young. Anthony Richardson and Will Levis were considered in the next tier, and a lot of people were shocked at how early (4th overall) and how late (33rd overall) those two respectively got taken. I believe with this year’s class, Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are in their own tier, and I would love to have either one. I would not reach on a 3rd QB option at 3rd overall though. Either take Harrison Jr. or trade down for more assets. The important thing is to take the best player available, QB or not, and build a foundation to contend for years to come. Whether we have Drake Maye throwing to Tee Higgins or Russell Wilson throwing to Marvin Harrison Jr., I’m fine with either outcome.

This was my thought. No way anyone would give up a first for Fields. Plenty of QBs in this draft that most teams will have a shot to get with their first round picks.
I’d say a 2nd would be extremely good for Fields.
So your plan is to not use a 1st on a QB because instead of doing that you will take a guy that no one would consider giving up a first for?

No way they get Maye imo.
Barring any major developments between now and the draft, I’d expect some combination of Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, and Marvin Harrison Jr. to go top 3. If the Bears decide Fields is still their guy, they either trade down or they double down for Fields and take MHJ 1st overall using Carolina’s pick. It’s a deep draft class for WR’s but MHJ is in a tier of his own from the rest of his counterparts. The debates are whether Nabers (the heavy favorite) or Odunze should be the second WR off the board, but nobody is debating who the #1 WR of this class is. Keep in mind they still have their own at #9 overall. In that scenario then it depends who the Commanders like more at QB. I think it’s more likely the Bears trade out of #1 and therefore Maye goes top 2 but there is certainly a possibility he could slip to 3 depending what the Bears do.

Barring any major developments between now and the draft, I’d expect some combination of Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, and Marvin Harrison Jr. to go top 3. If the Bears decide Fields is still their guy, they either trade down or they double down for Fields and take MHJ 1st overall using Carolina’s pick. It’s a deep draft class for WR’s but MHJ is in a tier of his own from the rest of his counterparts. The debates are whether Nabers (the heavy favorite) or Odunze should be the second WR off the board, but nobody is debating who the #1 WR of this class is. Keep in mind they still have their own at #9 overall. In that scenario then it depends who the Commanders like more at QB. I think it’s more likely the Bears trade out of #1 and therefore Maye goes top 2 but there is certainly a possibility he could slip to 3 depending what the Bears do.
The Bears are the wildcard. It's widely known that the Commanders want Williams who's a local kid. They have new ownership who's looking to make a major splash to fire up the fans and bagging Caleb would do just that. Bears would take MHJ if such swap was made which would leave Drake on the board. All rumor and speculation but it's possible.

Barring any major developments between now and the draft, I’d expect some combination of Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, and Marvin Harrison Jr. to go top 3.
It Seems Williams then Maye/Daniels top 3.
Inside reports already have Bears going for Williams, Washington is not passing on a QB and the Pats should not either, no place to fit MHJ in top 3.

The way it's shaping up Pats might have a shot at Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels. Do the damn homework and take one.

- Signed, probably 80% of Pats fans.
The most likely scenario is Chicago drafts a QB or trades to someone who will. So we likely won't get a pick. We will get forced into whoever is 3rd place. Which means you might get stuck drafting someone you don't really want. In that case, get Harrison.

If you love who is there, then yeah obviously draft a QB. But there's 3 QB's that will likely have a first round grade.

We aren't competing for a title next year. People really need to get into the mindset that we are in a rebuild. If you have the QB, get him. But you don't want to draft someone just to draft him and then put him on this offense to fail again.

It Seems Williams then Maye/Daniels top 3.
Inside reports already have Bears going for Williams, Washington is not passing on a QB and the Pats should not either, no place to fit MHJ in top 3.
Daniels is considered the 3rd best QB in the class as of now but not the 3rd best overall prospect. He’s not in the same tier as the top 2. Depending on how players test at the Combine later next month we’ll see some players’ stock rise or drop. I made my case against him in a previous reply here (My 2024 draft) but I don’t think a QB who has a body like Tyquan Thornton is who we should be reaching for. I can’t think of many QBs who weigh less than 190 lbs. who have had sustained success in the NFL, can you?

Daniels is considered the 3rd best QB in the class as of now but not the 3rd best overall prospect. He’s not in the same tier as the top 2. Depending on how players test at the Combine later next month we’ll see some players’ stock rise or drop. I made my case against him in a previous reply here (My 2024 draft) but I don’t think a QB who has a body like Tyquan Thornton is who we should be reaching for. I can’t think of many QBs who weigh less than 190 lbs. who have had sustained success in the NFL, can you?
Agreed. Daniels is someone who really would be lower 1st round if not early 2nd if everyone went by best available. If you see something special in him, fine get him. But if you think he is what most people think he is, you are probably just going to end up putting a QB who isn't equipped for it on an untalented offense.

Also let’s be careful about how we assess quarterbacks based on their college production versus how their traits translate to the NFL level. After all, the Pats currently have both quarterbacks who led the nation in passing yards in the 2020 and 2021 NCAA seasons.

The most likely scenario is Chicago drafts a QB or trades to someone who will. So we likely won't get a pick. We will get forced into whoever is 3rd place. Which means you might get stuck drafting someone you don't really want. In that case, get Harrison.

If you love who is there, then yeah obviously draft a QB. But there's 3 QB's that will likely have a first round grade.
My point was I don't think Williams gets past Washington. They're in the best position to trade up losing the least amount of assets in the process and still allowing Chicago to land MHJ. It's almost too perfect.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure he will weigh at least 210 pounds when weighed. His coach made an offhand comment in the off-season how he got over 210. But yeah, want to see his weight, see what he runs, see his strength #'s etc.
I think when all said and done, he'll be worth taking at 3. I don't need to see any of that for Williams or Maye, unless Williams measures under 6 feet.

As a prospect he's rated about #8 overall (Kiper had him #4, Draft Buzz #8, etc.) in the draft and a notch below Maye who is a notch below Williams. His path to being a top pick is the exact same path Burrow took. I was very skeptical of Daniels but the more you watch him the better you feel about him.

Some mock drafts are putting Daniels #2 ahead of Maye now and if Lamar wins the Super Bowl you may see Daniels jump Maye due to his style of play.

I would take Maye (I love Maye as a prospect more than most I think, I believe he is a STUD) over Daniels as a prospect for sure, but all 3 QB's have POTENTIAL to be top 10 QB's.
I've watched, I think, like 50 hours of QB prospect play LOL, I'm obsessed.
Nobody else in the draft outside the top 3, IMO, is a prospect worth drafting in Round 1 or 2.
If you don't take one of the 3 you have a 1% chance of getting a good QB, and without a good QB you are not going to win. I just don't see an alternative to taking a QB at 3.

I'm pretty sure he will weigh at least 210 pounds when weighed. His coach made an offhand comment in the off-season how he got over 210. But yeah, want to see his weight, see what he runs, see his strength #'s etc.
I think when all said and done, he'll be worth taking at 3. I don't need to see any of that for Williams or Maye, unless Williams measures under 6 feet.

As a prospect he's rated about #8 overall (Kiper had him #4, Draft Buzz #8, etc.) in the draft and a notch below Maye who is a notch below Williams. His path to being a top pick is the exact same path Burrow took. I was very skeptical of Daniels but the more you watch him the better you feel about him.

Some mock drafts are putting Daniels #2 ahead of Maye now and if Lamar wins the Super Bowl you may see Daniels jump Maye due to his style of play.

I would take Maye (I love Maye as a prospect more than most I think, I believe he is a STUD) over Daniels as a prospect for sure, but all 3 QB's have POTENTIAL to be top 10 QB's.
Nobody else in the draft outside the top 3, IMO, is a prospect worth drafting in Round 1 or 2.
If you don't take one of the 3 you have a 1% chance of getting a good QB, and without a good QB you are not going to win. I just don't see an alternative to taking a QB at 3.
The 5th year breakout still concerns me but I’m with you in that I’d like him a lot more if he got his weight closer to 210 lb., which is a much more ideal weight for the rigors of the NFL when it comes to QBs. I didn’t notice Caleb is that short, that might dock him and put Maye above him. Maye has the measurables you want as far as height and weight goes.

I’m more willing to be patient as far as when the Pats identify their QB of the future, whether that’s this year or the next few years. There are alternatives in free agency to finding a starter to at least bridge to the next young QB. I’m not as excited about next year’s class but that can certainly change. If Daniels does test very well at the Combine then I’ll be open to the idea of him at 3. Just finding it real hard to pass up Caleb, Maye, or MHJ.

So are you saying you think Daniels is worth the #3 overall pick?

So are you saying you think Daniels is worth the #3 overall pick?
Based on his tape and as of today then yes, but I reserve the right to change my mind after his workouts.
What's his actual weight, what is his 40 time and a few other #'s I want to see. Based on what I've read it should confirm him as worth the #3, but until those things happen, I hedge by bet a bit.

With Maye and Williams, I don't need to see anything more. If there you take them.

I wouldn't be mad at MHJ with #3 and a trade back up for Bo Nix scenario. They have to keep trying at QB or they'll never hit on one.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back