PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RFA Tenders: Mankins 1+3, Gost 2, Woods ROFR [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ghost gets Second round tender.

awww crap, someone's gonna make an offer to the Ghost.

awww crap, someone's gonna make an offer to the Ghost.

I think teams will be avoiding poison pill deals, so the Patriots should have a legitimate shot to match any offer.

Re: Tenders: Mankins 1st and 3rd, Gostkowski 2nd, Woods RoFR [merged]

Ghost is the risk here.

Don't think folks will give up a 1st and a 3rd for Mankins...

Re: So have we tendered anyone?

I didn't quite catch it but i thought i heard that the pats gave Mankins a first rnd tender on Sirius NFL. i can't say with complete certainty what the tender offer was i came in at the end. I listen to the announcers commenting that "of course tht would make sense for the Pats, they need Mankins".

Last edited:

I would have given him a first. Seems like people are going kicker crazy in the league this offseason. Big deals. Franchise tags. It might be a bit of a risk.

Agreed, this is a bit curious. With no real quality kicker prospects in the draft, I wonder if some team won't take a run at Gostkowski. I would assume the Pats would match whatever contract offer he gets from another team...

Re: Tenders from PFW in Progress

Just announced by PFW in Progress:

Mankins - 1st and 3rd
Gostkowski - 2nd
Woods - Right of First Refusal (or Original)?

Wait, wait, we heard very loud and persistent complaints and snarky comments because Woods was rumored to get a 2nd round tender. Now it turns out that he is getting the lowest possible tender?

Mankins and Gost tendered

Mankins a 1st and 3rd

Gost a 2nd

Per BSPN

Last edited:
re: Update: Mankins 1+3, Gost 2, Woods ROFR]Merged several times

If they let Gost go, I will vomit with rage.

Since they've decided to give him the 2nd round tender, I expect them to match any offer he receives.

Re: Tenders from PFW in Progress

Wait, wait, we heard very loud and persistent complaints and snarky comments because Woods was rumored to get a 2nd round tender. Now it turns out that he is getting the lowest possible tender?

I think what makes that interesting is Woods was a 2nd-round level RFA last year, which means his salary was $1.545M.

By giving him the ROFR tender, does that mean the Pats only owe him the tender amount, or does he get 110% of his prior year salary? If it is the latter, they would owe him basically the same money as the 2nd round tender this year, so it must be the former. In that case, it was a cost saving move.

Agreed, this is a bit curious. With no real quality kicker prospects in the draft, I wonder if some team won't take a run at Gostkowski. I would assume the Pats would match whatever contract offer he gets from another team...

Go through the list of teams that would even be interested in a new kicker.
Then see if their kicker need is above a need they could fill with a player available in the 2nd round this year.
Then take their pick and project a player the Pats could add at that position in this draft.

You will feel much better.

Go through the list of teams that would even be interested in a new kicker.
Then see if their kicker need is above a need they could fill with a player available in the 2nd round this year.
Then take their pick and project a player the Pats could add at that position in this draft.

You will feel much better.

Exactly. Mankins and Gostkowski are not going anywhere.

Re: So have we tendered anyone? [Update: Mankins 1+3, Gost 2, Woods ROFR]

He's just a kicker, albeit a very good one you can get a impact player or use it to trade to pick up a impact player. I think a team like the Chargers who seen their kicker struggle mightily in the playoffs. I would take the second and say thank you very much. Plus FYI I heard a rumor that BB is planning on going for it every 4th down no matter the situation with him calling the plays there won't be many 4th down situations anyhow.:D

He's just a kicker, albeit a very good one you can get a impact player or use it to trade to pick up a impact player. I think a team like the Chargers who seen their kicker struggle mightily in the playoffs. I would take the second and say thank you very much. Plus FYI I heard a rumor that BB is planning on going for it every 4th down no matter the situation with him calling the plays there won't be many 4th down situations anyhow.:D

Or you could lose Gostkowski, turn around and draft the next Chad Jackson, and be short a kicker.

Either way.

He's just a kicker, albeit a very good one
5-8 this year between 40-49. I will be happy to have him again next year but I'd prefer yet another #2. 5-8 is good. Not great by any means.

Or you could lose Gostkowski, turn around and draft the next Chad Jackson, and be short a kicker.
I doubt we'll be short a kicker. I am confident we will fill that roster spot :D

Re: Update: Mankins 1+3, Gost 2, Woods ROFR]Merged several times

Since they've decided to give him the 2nd round tender, I expect them to match any offer he receives.

Don't hold your breath... I think this says while they like him he's replaceable. And for a #2 in a deep draft they would move him unless the tender is to their liking. The difference between the money on the two tenders is substantial and likely well more than they plan to offer him in AAV on a long term deal. Once you substantially overpay a player for one season it's a tough sell to extend him at less... which may be the deal with Woods as well. I believe at the original tender they don't have to match 110% of his prior deal. Can make signing a longer term deal appear a lot more lucrative.

I know you heard that the Patriots aren't interested in retaining Hanson as a punter what may horrify you is that BB thinks he could make a decent kicker.
No seriously though I expect our offense to be potent enough to not have to worry about 3 points as long as they Draft Best and Tate and trade Maroney, to the bears for Greg Olsen. If not then yeah we may need Gotti around.

I doubt we'll be short a kicker. I am confident we will fill that roster spot :D

Yeah, can't wait to have Chris Hanson's facsimile attempt a game-winning FG.

Why? I'd take a 2nd rounder for Gostkowski any day. Kicker might be an undervalued position, but it's not irreplaceable. Especially not for a draft pick that high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes