PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RFA Emmanuel Sanders visits Pats 3/16; signs offer sheet 4/10, sheet matched 4/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't it be something if the Pittsburg brass decided to take the Pats 3rd round pick and bid Sanders adieu.

Then turn around and sign Brandon Lloyd for $1 million and draft the next Mike Wallace with the Pats 3rd round pick. They will have a veteran WR who they can rely on while nurturing a speedy wideout of the future.

In this scenario, the Steelers will be laughing all the way to the bank at BB's expense. And that will hold true even if Sanders turns out to be a more than adequate replacement for Lloyd.

Hard to understand why BB soured on Lloyd or did not sign Darius Hewward-Bey.

I don't want the next Mike Wallace. I'd take the next Anquan Boldin, though.

I agree with everyone that thinks this WR Core is a joke. You've got one of the greatest QB's ever and you have stuck him with garbage on the outside for most of his career.

The more I watch of Robert Woods....the more I think he should be a major target in the draft. That is assuming he is capable of grasping the offensive reads.

If the Pats don't land a starting caliber WR in this draft, they are screwed

If we get Sanders, this wide receiver core is deeper and I bet more talented than last years was.

Yeah, I just read that a little while ago elsewhere, and was rather surprised. I mean, what happens if the Steelers do match the Pats offer, and Sanders remains in Pittsburgh? How does that effect chemistry and the locker room?

Here's the other thing: Brown is talking about doing things a certain way; did he stop to think about his comments, in the context of doing things a certain way and what the team expects from you? Is throwing a teammate under the bus and stabbing him in the back part of doing things in a way that the team expects from you as a player?

"I don't think that they (the Steelers) really like guys that don't do things their way", said Brown. "There's a certain professional way that they go about their business and I don't think that they make decisions with guys that don't go about things in the way that they should. So in my opinion, I don't think he'll come back. It's just not smart to get a guy for one year at a price that you can get a guy for four years."

Yeah I feel the same way. Not Brown's best moment, regardless of what is true re/Sanders and his work ethic. Even if Sanders *was* a problem, that's not the way to go about rectifying it, to air things publicly. No one works harder than Brown, but he may need to shore up his public speaking going forward.

That all said, sometimes NFL players aren't great in front of a mic and articulating their thoughts. Maybe he just mispoke. Certainly Brown doesn't have a history of putting his foot in his mouth...hope he's not starting now.

I don't want the next Mike Wallace. I'd take the next Anquan Boldin, though.

If we get your 3rd rounder as compensation, I'll happily take either, so long as it's not the "next Limas Sweed" ;)

Hard to understand why BB soured on Lloyd or did not sign Darius Hewward-Bey.

sunny-mactip-6.gif

Lloyd was gonna cost $4.5 and $5.5 million over the next two years.

And Heyward-Bey who is to say BB didn't inquire about him or even offer him a one year deal similar to what they would be paying Jones this year.

We'll learn Sunday whether Sanders is a terrible player (if PITT matches) or the a potential 2013 pro-bowl starters (if PITT chooses not to match).

Which is why I don't understand why the New England Patriots would sign Emmanuel Sanders to an offer sheet in the first place.

Pat Kirwin during Moving the Chains today on SiriusXM feels the same way.

I want, and we need, both.

i don't want mike wallace...a player that is very inconsisitant and drops some big catches. I want Fitz, Johnson type for the outside. A big physical guy

Here's another potentially useless tidbit of reporting/speculation to ruminate over until Sunday, this time from Dale Lolley, a Steelers beat reporter:

Dale Lolley said...
I think you let him leave and thank the Patriots for taking him off your hands. You went through 2012 with one lame duck receiver, why do it again with another. And believe me, Sanders could play the disgruntled player way better than Wallace.

No idea what Lolley is basing this on. For all I know Sanders didn't return his phone calls and Lolley is bitter. FWIW the "Washington Observer Reporter" is a smallish western PA newspaper, and Lolley's been wrong before, most recently in his guess about whether the Pats would be signing Sanders to an offer sheet in the first place (after the Jenkins signing). OTOH he is around the team a lot and has been covering the Steelers for 20 years...

That said, it is interesting when coupled with Brown's comments reported earlier today. If true, maybe that tips the scales a bit more towards the Steelers letting him walk.

i don't want mike wallace...a player that is very inconsisitant and drops some big catches. I want Fitz, Johnson type for the outside. A big physical guy
The Atlanta Falcons traded up to the sixth overall selection in the 2011 NFL Draft to grab Julio Jones. If you want an Andre Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald prototype, you must be willing to pay the price.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that most Pats *and* Steelers fans wouldn't kick Mike Wallace to the curb if he suddenly landed on the roster.

The prerequisite for landing a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald is going 2-14. We should all be grateful we haven't had that opportunity in a long while.

I'd do backflips if we "only" landed another Mike Wallace this draft.

The Atlanta Falcons traded up to the sixth overall selection in the 2011 NFL Draft to grab Julio Jones. If you want an Andre Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald prototype, you must be willing to pay the price.

And there has to be one available. I don't know what to think of the receivers in this year's draft...the reporters are all over the place on them regarding value. Almost every one I read about, they say great things, then comes the "but..."

One guy today called them all "soiled diapers." Not real encouraging.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that most Pats *and* Steelers fans wouldn't kick Mike Wallace to the curb if he suddenly landed on the roster.

The prerequisite for landing a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald is going 2-14. We should all be grateful we haven't had that opportunity in a long while.

I'd do backflips if we "only" landed another Mike Wallace this draft.

Had Mike Wallace been on the Patriots the last 3 seasons and all other things been equal, the Patriots would probably be coming off of 3 straight Super Bowl victories.

I know. Which is why it won't happen for the next 5 years at least due to the gronk/hernandez $$

I have a feeling Sanders won't be here. Roethlisberger reportedly is campaigning hard to keep him. I'll bet Ben's feeling a bit desperate at this point.

Ben's desperate???...hide all the 14 year old girls and arm all tasers!!!

ben-roethlisberger-drunk-2_crop_650x440.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe