PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RFA Emmanuel Sanders visits Pats 3/16; signs offer sheet 4/10, sheet matched 4/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read into this what you will, from Antonio Brown's interview with Sirius/XM:

Brown basically said that he doesn't think that Sanders will be back in 2013, and while the first part of his answer to the question was inaudible due to a bad cell phone connection, the second part wasn't.

"I don't think that they (the Steelers) really like guys that don't do things their way," said Brown. "There's a certain professional way that they go about their business and I don't think that they make decisions with guys that don't go about things in the way that they should. So in my opinion, I don't think he'll come back. It's just not smart to get a guy for one year at a price that you can get a guy for four years."​

Brown is arguably the hardest worker on the team...but I always thought Sanders was a good kid and a hard worker as well. Kind of a strange comment, particularly coming from Brown. (I don't like it, actually...seems close to airing dirty laundry).

One aspect of this that hasn't really been discussed is the Steelers' locker room last year. The WR production last year was disappointing, and there were rumors of there being a bad locker room. Don't know if it's true, but certainly Pitt has let a lot of guys go, even guys (e.g. Mendy) who could be had at decent pricing.

It would be surprising to me, but if Sanders was on the wrong side of that locker room assessment, maybe that factors in as well into the decision-making. (Then again maybe I'm over-reading, but what else can you discuss on a forum in April? ;)

Oh boy, now he's being disrespected by his very own "YMF" homeboy. LOL!

I was talkng about pittsburgh fans talking about how they would much rather have third rounder and how sanders was never that great.

And I was pointing out that those fans have a point. I posted earlier (I can't remember which thread) that we'd be laughing at the Steelers if the situation was reversed. We just gave the Steelers a "get out of a bit of cap trouble free" card for a WR with multiple foot issues and a career long reception of 37 yards despite his supposed speed, and they know he can play in their system while the Patriots have to hope he can adapt to theirs.

Could it work out for the Patriots and screw the Steelers if they blow the pick? Sure, but I'd rather be on the Steelers side of this, because they win either way. They can either bring back the player for fairly low money, or they get a 3rd round pick that they can package in order to move up in round 2 (they need to get a young safety), while still having another 3rd round pick.

If you look at the average player drafted in that slot +/- 5 over the years, they are not as good to date on average as Sanders. Sanders is just coming into his prime, into a very strong corps of receivers, with a great QB. I'd wager if healthy he'd well outperform this draft slot over the next 1 or 3-4 years whichever it is.
I prefer a fresh start at the wide receiver position, as was the case with the tight end position for the New England Patriots during the 2010 NFL Season.

There are definitely good aspects to taking the pick, no doubt. The flip side: Jerricho Cotchery just became your WR2. Plaxico Burress is your WR3. And most rookie WRs won't contribute much in their first year, even if they are the next Mike Wallace/Antonio Brown gem.

I think the disconnect on this board is this: most Pats fans (not to mention most NFL pundits) will consider this year a rebuilding year--or at the very least, a "reloading" year, for Pitt. I can guarantee that Pittsburgh's brass does NOT view it that way; they'll see the glass half-full, and see a roster with a good QB and a good defense and a ton of guys (hopefully!) coming back from injuries that ruined their 2012 campaigns.

Which is why, regardless of what I think Pittsburgh should do (take the pick), I think what they will do is match. They're not wired to concede a season for the future, and I think ultimately they'll see losing Sanders on top of Wallace earlier as doing just that.

Steelers could package the third to move up in the second, and go something like OL/S/WR, or DL/S/WR. I imagine that would make the fan base very happy.

If you look at the average player drafted in that slot +/- 5 over the years, they are not as good to date on average as Sanders. Sanders is just coming into his prime, into a very strong corps of receivers, with a great QB. I'd wager if healthy he'd well outperform this draft slot over the next 1 or 3-4 years whichever it is.
Did you say the same when the New England Patriots traded an undisclosed future draft pick (at that time) for wide receiver Doug Gabriel in calendar year 2006?

And I was pointing out that those fans have a point. I posted earlier (I can't remember which thread) that we'd be laughing at the Steelers if the situation was reversed. We just gave the Steelers a "get out of a bit of cap trouble free" card for a WR with multiple foot issues and a career long reception of 37 yards despite his supposed speed, and they know he can play in their system while the Patriots have to hope he can adapt to theirs.

Could it work out for the Patriots and screw the Steelers if they blow the pick? Sure, but I'd rather be on the Steelers side of this, because they win either way. They can either bring back the player for fairly low money, or they get a 3rd round pick that they can package in order to move up in round 2 (they need to get a young safety), while still having another 3rd round pick.

Some of those steeler fans don't have the same reasoning as you. They are just saying that sanders should go because they feel that it is inevitable and are trying to make themselves feel better.

Oh boy, now he's being disrespected by his very own "YMF" homeboy. LOL!

FWIW that "young money" crew moniker definitely turned out to be pretty apt. Those guys (Wallace, Brown, and soon Sanders) are definitely getting paid.

Strange quote by Brown. I'm sure if pressed he will say it was "taken out of context" ;)

Some of those steeler fans don't have the same reasoning as you. They are just saying that sanders should go because they feel that it is inevitable and are trying to make themselves feel better.
At least the Pittsburgh Steelers fans are willing to admit the wide receiver position needs to be rebuilt.

At least the Pittsburgh Steelers fans are willing to admit the wide receiver position needs to be rebuilt.

Yup we got a nice group on here who think WR is fine if we get Sanders:rolleyes:.

I'm sure you're right. There are always different segments of fan bases, as this place shows pretty much on a daily basis. However, most of the Steelers fans I've heard/talked to have taken a very dispassionate approach.

Yup we got a nice group on here who think WR is fine if we get Sanders:rolleyes:.
I don't want Emmanuel Sanders! :mad:

The current New England Patriots wide receivers = duct tape and baling wire

Brown basically said that he doesn't think that Sanders will be back in 2013, and while the first part of his answer to the question was inaudible due to a bad cell phone connection, the second part wasn't.

"I don't think that they (the Steelers) really like guys that don't do things their way," said Brown. "There's a certain professional way that they go about their business and I don't think that they make decisions with guys that don't go about things in the way that they should. So in my opinion, I don't think he'll come back. It's just not smart to get a guy for one year 7 at a price that you can get a guy for four years."​

Brown is arguably the hardest worker on the team...but I always thought Sanders was a good kid and a hard worker as well. Kind of a strange comment, particularly coming from Brown. (I don't like it, actually...seems close to airing dirty laundry).

One aspect of this that hasn't really been discussed is the Steelers' locker room last year. The WR production last year was disappointing, and there were rumors of there being a bad locker room. Don't know if it's true, but certainly Pitt has let a lot of guys go, even guys (e.g. Mendy) who could be had at decent pricing.

It would be surprising to me, but if Sanders was on the wrong side of that locker room assessment, maybe that factors in as well into the decision-making. (Then again maybe I'm over-reading, but what else can you discuss on a forum in April? ;)

Maybe Brown was simply referring to Sanders signing with the Pats...maybe that's not considered "handling things the professional way" in his, and the organizations eyes.:rolleyes:

It's pretty easy to critique your own team mates when you are the one who already cashed in.
No wonder they have a fractured locker room. They talk more than any team in the league...even on their own players.

I don't want Emmanuel Sanders! :mad:

The current New England Patriots wide receivers = duct tape and baling wire

Agree almost 100% I think Sanders is an ok addition simply because he's shown that he can be somewhat productive in the NFL, its better than rolling with Jones and Amendola :D

I'm sure you're right. There are always different segments of fan bases, as this place shows pretty much on a daily basis. However, most of the Steelers fans I've heard/talked to have taken a very dispassionate approach.

Your logic/reasoning is a lot better than theirs.

I agree with everyone that thinks this WR Core is a joke. You've got one of the greatest QB's ever and you have stuck him with garbage on the outside for most of his career.

The more I watch of Robert Woods....the more I think he should be a major target in the draft. That is assuming he is capable of grasping the offensive reads.

If the Pats don't land a starting caliber WR in this draft, they are screwed

Wouldn't it be something if the Pittsburg brass decided to take the Pats 3rd round pick and bid Sanders adieu.

Then turn around and sign Brandon Lloyd for $1 million and draft the next Mike Wallace with the Pats 3rd round pick. They will have a veteran WR who they can rely on while nurturing a speedy wideout of the future.

In this scenario, the Steelers will be laughing all the way to the bank at BB's expense. And that will hold true even if Sanders turns out to be a more than adequate replacement for Lloyd.

Hard to understand why BB soured on Lloyd or did not sign Darius Hewward-Bey.

Wouldn't it be something if the Pittsburg brass decided to take the Pats 3rd round pick and bid Sanders adieu.

Then turn around and sign Brandon Lloyd for $1 million and draft the next Mike Wallace with the Pats 3rd round pick. They will have a veteran WR who they can rely on while nurturing a speedy wideout of the future.

In this scenario, the Steelers will be laughing all the way to the bank at BB's expense. And that will hold true even if Sanders turns out to be a more than adequate replacement for Lloyd.

Hard to understand why BB soured on Lloyd or did not sign Darius Hewward-Bey.

patriots will be laughing if Sanders is as good as they think he is and he is a member of the 2013 NFL Champs.

"I don't think that they (the Steelers) really like guys that don't do things their way," said Brown. "There's a certain professional way that they go about their business and I don't think that they make decisions with guys that don't go about things in the way that they should. So in my opinion, I don't think he'll come back. It's just not smart to get a guy for one year at a price that you can get a guy for four years."

Yeah, I just read that a little while ago elsewhere, and was rather surprised. I mean, what happens if the Steelers do match the Pats offer, and Sanders remains in Pittsburgh? How does that effect chemistry and the locker room?

Here's the other thing: Brown is talking about doing things a certain way; did he stop to think about his comments, in the context of doing things a certain way and what the team expects from you? Is throwing a teammate under the bus and stabbing him in the back part of doing things in a way that the team expects from you as a player?

"I don't think that they (the Steelers) really like guys that don't do things their way", said Brown. "There's a certain professional way that they go about their business and I don't think that they make decisions with guys that don't go about things in the way that they should. So in my opinion, I don't think he'll come back. It's just not smart to get a guy for one year at a price that you can get a guy for four years."

It's just not smart to get a guy for one year at a price that you can get a guy for four years.
Which is exactly the case pissing away a fifth round draft pick and a sixth round draft pick in the 2013 NFL Draft for Chad "Ochostinko" Johnson and Albert "fat lazy arse" Haynesworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST