PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Revis to Bucs, pending physical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting deal, IMO. It's more than I would have paid, but the Bucs GM is in need of making the playoffs, so he had a bit of desperation about him. On the other hand, the Jets only got a 1 and a 4(3) for, arguably, the best CB since Deion Sanders.

Both sides did better than they might have, and both sides did worse than they might have. I'm not sure that it's win/win, and I'm not sure it's lose/lose, but I don't see how the Jets replace a Revis with this year's draft pool and a 4th(3rd) next year.

In the end, I don't think this makes the Jets a stronger team, and that makes me quite content with the trade.

BTW: as someone noted in the Twitter thread up above, the move also COSTS the JEST $3M in cap room in 2013. :D

[They do get cap room back in 2014, FWIW.]

Interesting deal, IMO. It's more than I would have paid, but the Bucs GM is in need of making the playoffs, so he had a bit of desperation about him. On the other hand, the Jets only got a 1 and a 4(3) for, arguably, the best CB since Deion Sanders.

Both sides did better than they might have, and both sides did worse than they might have. I'm not sure that it's win/win, and I'm not sure it's lose/lose, but I don't see how the Jets replace a Revis with this year's draft pool and a 4th(3rd) next year.

In the end, I don't think this makes the Jets a stronger team, and that makes me quite content with the trade.

I think this is actually a pretty solid way of looking at this trade. I don't think this trade made the jets any stronger (pending them not selecting the next JJ Watt at 13)

You can't say that the Bucs had a steal here either because they are paying the guy on avg 16 mil. Even tho there isn't any garannteed money if they cut him after 1 season because he can't play anymore they still gave up $$ and their 1st round pick for a guy that can't play.

But they do now have one of the most talented secondaries on paper in the NFL. if they happen to luck out in the draft with a some picks they could have a very solid shot at the playoffs. This trade would be a big part of that push.

I think the Bucs got better as of today. In the future? we will see.

Overall, this works us well for us. Revis out of the division to a non contender in the NFC(for now anyways, we all know how fast things can change).

There are a number of QB's in the Bucs division that do not want to see this happen.

There's no reason to believe that Revis can't regain his prior form given the rehabilitation of Tom Brady, Wes Welker and Adrian Peterson in recent years. If the Patriots had acquired Revis you can bet your bottom dollar the sentiment would be the complete opposite of what some are proposing.

The Bucs have (had) salary cap space to make these moves. They made them to counter the strengths of their divisional opponents. Good luck to them I say.

I can't deny I'd be happier than a pig in poop if the Patriots had gotten Revis. Of course, Bill Belichick would sooner do a public stand up comedy press conference than give out a deal even close to this. If Revis returns and is 100% awesome, the deal is still not worth it. That's the problem. Arguably at no point in his career has he ever been worth $16M per year, as good as he's been. How can the Bucs possibly win here? They gave away a first round pick and more for six years worth of options to overspend. I guarantee that Revis is a free agent by 2015 if not sooner. I am always very vocal on this board about terrible contracts/value risk/reward stuff, and this one is even worse than the Mario Williams deal, which I had said all last offseason was the worst deal in recent memory.

I could care less about the Bucs problems..it's their money...their picks..their problem.;.;.I care only about the effect this has on the Patriots...the Jets have gotten rid of a player that has consistently closed off the left side of the secondary to Brady for years...the Jets intend on starting the same QB they had last season under center...draft picks, especially Jet draft picks are anything but a sure thing...I'd like to point out Vernot Goatston as a prime recent example. Unless you are scared to death of mastermind Idzik, I cannot fathom why you would be upset by any part of this trade as a Patriots fan. I know I'm OK with it.

I couldn't think of a worse year to have two high 1st rounders than this year. A few Scouts have come out to say that only a handful of potential 1st rounders this year even grade out to 1st rounders and most would be 2nd rounders in other years. Especially when your team needs are QB, RB, TE, WR. The Jets will show us how smart they are if they trade one of their 1sts for a 1st next year and a 2nd this year. I doubt that will happen though as Rex is looking to save his job this year.

I can't deny I'd be happier than a pig in poop if the Patriots had gotten Revis. Of course, Bill Belichick would sooner do a public stand up comedy press conference than give out a deal even close to this. If Revis returns and is 100% awesome, the deal is still not worth it. That's the problem. Arguably at no point in his career has he ever been worth $16M per year, as good as he's been. How can the Bucs possibly win here? They gave away a first round pick and more for six years worth of options to overspend. I guarantee that Revis is a free agent by 2015 if not sooner. I am always very vocal on this board about terrible contracts/value risk/reward stuff, and this one is even worse than the Mario Williams deal, which I had said all last offseason was the worst deal in recent memory.

It's not worse than the Mario Williams deal. The Bills are stuck with Williams if he continues to play like he did last year. The Bucs can cut ties with Revis at any time during the contract with no ramifications.

And Revis, before his injury, was arguably the most impactful non-QB player in the league. He literally shut down one side of the field most Sundays. If he does that again for the Bucs, they could win a Super Bowl in the next two years.

The Bucs were over $30 million under the cap before this deal. The money is irrelevant other than to Malcom Glazer's pocketbook. In fact it may help them with the salary minimum requirement. They should be able to carry close to $16 million in cap from this year now that they don't have a first round pick which means that this year's cap will pay for most of Revis' cap hit over the next two years.

According to Over the Cap, the Bucs have $114 million allocated to the 2014 cap with Revis' $16 million cap hit. With them probably carrying over $12-14 million from this year, the Bucs should be about $20-25 million under the cap in 2014 assuming the cap stays flat. So, from a cap standpoint, they are in good shape even with Revis. And that is before cuts and renegotiations.

If this was another team, you might have a point. But the Bucs were so far under the cap this year that Revis' contract is easily manageable for the first two years and possibly longer.

I couldn't think of a worse year to have two high 1st rounders than this year. A few Scouts have come out to say that only a handful of potential 1st rounders this year even grade out to 1st rounders and most would be 2nd rounders in other years. Especially when your team needs are QB, RB, TE, WR. The Jets will show us how smart they are if they trade one of their 1sts for a 1st next year and a 2nd this year. I doubt that will happen though as Rex is looking to save his job this year.

Yeah, I don't get why the Jets were so adamant about this year's #1. Next year is supposed to be a QB rich draft.

Personally, I think Idzik could be a short termer if he doesn't get two studs with two high first round picks even if he trades down. Especially if Revis is an All Pro this year.

Idzik will have to prove that he was part of the Seahawks' recent drafting success or he could be swept out with Ryan.

I could care less about the Bucs problems..it's their money...their picks..their problem.;.;.I care only about the effect this has on the Patriots...the Jets have gotten rid of a player that has consistently closed off the left side of the secondary to Brady for years...the Jets intend on starting the same QB they had last season under center...draft picks, especially Jet draft picks are anything but a sure thing...I'd like to point out Vernot Goatston as a prime recent example. Unless you are scared to death of mastermind Idzik, I cannot fathom why you would be upset by any part of this trade as a Patriots fan. I know I'm OK with it.

Assuming Revis returns to form, I'm glad to have him out of the AFC entirely. His exit firmly puts the Green Beans in "start-over" mode. The funny thing about this is New Jersey plays against him in its season opener vs. Tampa Bay.

That the Bucs keep all their other draft picks this year is a great win for the them. Leaving aside the size of the contract (they can afford it for now) they've gone from probably Xavier Rhodes + other picks to Darrelle Revis + other picks.

That the Jets can only get a first round pick in a bad year for first round picks is pretty bad. They'd have been better off trying for next years first and a 2nd and 4th this year.

And a ballsy confident move by Revis to take the money and not the guarantee.

It might be bias, but I think the Jets lost out quite badly here.

Maybe with some of the defensive overhauls in that division Brees will have trouble throwing for 5k yards every year now.

Not sure why, but his stat padding and record SEEKING (they don't just take them as they come, they actually go after them) is starting to irk me.

It might be bias, but I think the Jets lost out quite badly here.

I don't think bias is even a remote possibility when it comes to anything Jet related....they used the sixth pick in 2008 to grab Goatston...they could have had Mayo...or Ryan Clady, the all pro Denver OLman...or Joe Flacco...heh, imagine THAT?

Deal works for both sides, but in the end you are not winning crap with a corner making 16 million a year.

I'd be suicidal if a was a tampa fan.

Saw this on a Tampa forum. Sums things up pretty well.

we draft a CB in the 1st round and the best we could ever hope that CB to become is as good as Revis.

I'll gladly give a up a 3rd to make it a sure thing.

Also the other big losers here are the Seahawks having to re-sign Sherman and his Revis complex.

Deal works for both sides, but in the end you are not winning crap with a corner making 16 million a year.

That's not completely true. They have the extra money because they will likely use 43 on a QB or move back into the first round so for the next 4-5 years they will not be spending a lot on a QB so they have the extra money. What will determine their success will be how that QB performs.

Also the other big losers here are the Seahawks having to re-sign Sherman and his Revis complex.

Hopefully the Patriots don't struggle to re-sign Talib, seeing as there's now a CB out there making 3x. This assumes that Talib plays a season demonstrating his worthiness of a new, large contract.

Also, RE: Seattle, it's incredible to me to consider how quickly you can stack up talent around your football team when you have a QB that isn't expensive, but also helps you win games. If anyone (else) is going to pay a CB top of the NFL dollars, while still winning games, it'll be a team with a QB on a rookie deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News