PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Revis to Bucs, pending physical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some thoughts:

• It is a lot to give up for Revis, but if any CB is worth what the Bucs gave up it is Revis. He is the only true shut down CB in the league and that includes Richard Sherman no matter how much he doesn't want to believe it.
  • I don't think the lack of guaranteed money is as big a thing as everyone thinks. Baring a career ending injury, I see Revis getting at least the $32 million in the first two years. No way can they cut him or ask for a paycut after one year with what they invested.
  • I also think the money is irrelevant. The Bucs are so far under the cap that they can absorb his cap hit pretty easily for the next three to four years. And they are a team that doesn't spend a lot of money anyway so I doubt it will affect how they manage the team going forward. Revis just helps them reach the salary minimum under the CBA.
  • I think the Jets got a nice deal for Revis. The question is whether they have the scouting and GM to capitalize on it. Even though there last two drafts have been better than their previous three, they still have more misses than hits and I don't know if they changed the scouting staff when Tannenbaum was ousted.
  • On the draft, I think if they are targeting Mingo as rumored, they may be getting Aaron Maybin 2.0. Both are undersized DE/OLBs who have off the charts athletic ability, but lack the real production to justify a high first round pick. Both are considered high draft picks because of potential over production and both have similar deficiencies. I am no draft expert, but I see Mingo as almost a Maybin clone.
  • This immediately becomes a make or break draft for Idzik. With two high first round draft picks, he is expected to get two impact players even if the Jets trade down with the 9th pick. Actually if they trade down, the pressure may be to get more than two impact players. If the Jets do not get several good building blocks for a rebuilding process, Idzik may not have much of a longer tenure the Ryan will have which could end this year.

EDIT: I just saw that all the Jets got was a first this year and a fourth or third next year. That is less than I thought they would get (reports earlier in this thread had a 3rd and 5th next year) and not as good of a deal as I thought when I wrote it. It is a worst deal than the Vikes got from Harvin (well, the first rounder is better, but the picks themselves are worse).

Which is why i think they would have been better off taking that $$ and putting it twords say 2 players and save the picks. If revis didn't tear ACL then i may have liked the move more.

The Bucs are one team that money is irrelevant. They are so far below the cap this year and years to come, they can spend like a drunken sailor on Revis and have very little impact on their ability to spend money on other players.

Almost any other team, I would agree with you. According to Sportrac, the Bucs still have $33.5 million in cap space this year. If Revis' cap hit is $16 million this year, they still have more cap space than every team in the league other than about 3-4 other teams.

In fact, this move helps them get above the salary minimum floor under the CBA.

Sure two impact players would be better, but there really weren't many in free agency and they got one in Dashon Goldson.

As much as I hate to say it, this is the right thing to do for the Jets. Revis alone was never going to get the Jets past the Pats in the near future. Now they should get 2 talented players out of the first round, who should be full time starters by 2014. A year they will go into that season with an improved roster, a better cap situation, and a new HC.

They could have a great draft and it still won't show this season, but by 2014 the Jets SHOULD be in a lot better place than they are right now

As for the Bucs I thought at first it was a horrible deal. Now the more I hear about the trade and contract, the more it makes sense for them. A first and a 2014 4th is not too high a price for a player with Revis' resume. And the contract, while too high IMHO, isn't onerous since its essentially a series of 6 one year $16MM contracts, with the club having the option of resign him at that price. Given the Bucs' cap situation, it won't limit them.

Can't be true

Nobody would sign for nothing guaranteed. The contract is essentially worthless and could be torn up any time.

Remember that he's now a vested veteran, so each season he reaches the Week 1 roster, his $16M for that season becomes de facto guaranteed.

Seemingly, Revis did...he wanted out of that cesspit bad:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m
Darrelle Revis received a 6-yr deal from the Bucs that makes him highest paid DB in NFL history but includes NO guaranteed money. None.

BUT:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3s
Darrelle signed six-year, $96 million deal with Bucs. This year he will make $16 million. Makes $16 million each year. Ripped up old deal.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

That's a lot of cash but since none of it is guaranteed, the Bucs can get out of it if Revis turns out not to be earning his paycheck. I think it helps both teams. Bucs needed defense. And the Jets took a step back, but they picked up draft picks to rebuild their team plus they didn't have to make 15m worth of room for Revis' cap hit.

I feel like this is a win win. Jets badly need to rebuild its entire roster and the Bucs need to contend with the Falcons/Saints in there division. I know he's coming off an injury but often can you get the number 1 player at their position and possibly the best defender in the game for a 1 and a 3 with NO guaranteed money??

Having said that the Jets HAVE to nail this draft and the have a money manager as a GM. Uh oh jets fans.....

So we can cross off the bucs for any success come playoffs for the next 6 years. That much $$ a year for a CB who just tore up his knee....

It is true

They still have a **** ton of caproom. They needed to spend the money to get to the cap floor. Doesn't hurt them much at all money wise. Nowadays everybody is coming back from ACL surgery just fine so I don't think it's that big of a risk. 1st and a 4th isn't terrible. They might have been able to sign him at the end of the season anyways but, you never know.

In the space of one offseason the Bucs secondary has gone from one of the worst in the NFL to potentially one of the best. Given the passing Quarterbacks in the NFC South, that appears to be a very smart move.

bad trade for the Bucs. You don't win by paying a cornerback $16M per year, and you especially don't win by giving up those kinds of picks for the privilege of doing so.

The Bucs must be the stupidest team in the history of the NFL. Let me emphasize: in the history of the NFL, I have never seen a contract so ludicrous and idiotic. They should fire everyone on their organization RIGHT NOW.

What did they just do? First, they UPPED his 2013 salary. He is now getting paid more this year than he would have in his contract with the Jets. This is Darelle Revis coming off an ACL injury, not Darelle Revis pre-ACL, so despite taking on more risk and likely getting a lesser player, they are going to pay him more than any non-qb in the NFL (by far.)

The contract might make a little sense if, like most contracts, the front loaded jackpot was also to sweeten the years thereafter. But that wasn't the case. The Bucs don't have a single bit of leverage with Revis... there is no "you'll play at this amount, period, or else" clause.

Each offseason, the Bucs will ponder whether to pay Revis $16M, despite that the number is more than he would get from any other team in the NFL, even for a one-year deal. Even two years ago, I guarantee no team would have gone that high. And they put themselves in this position on purpose??? I guarantee this ends badly for them.

Horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible contract.

The Bucs must be the stupidest team in the history of the NFL. Let me emphasize: in the history of the NFL, I have never seen a contract so ludicrous and idiotic. They should fire everyone on their organization RIGHT NOW.

What did they just do? First, they UPPED his 2013 salary. He is now getting paid more this year than he would have in his contract with the Jets. This is Darelle Revis coming off an ACL injury, not Darelle Revis pre-ACL, so despite taking on more risk and likely getting a lesser player, they are going to pay him more than any non-qb in the NFL (by far.)

The contract might make a little sense if, like most contracts, the front loaded jackpot was also to sweeten the years thereafter. But that wasn't the case. The Bucs don't have a single bit of leverage with Revis... there is no "you'll play at this amount, period, or else" clause.

Each offseason, the Bucs will ponder whether to pay Revis $16M, despite that the number is more than he would get from any other team in the NFL, even for a one-year deal. Even two years ago, I guarantee no team would have gone that high. And they put themselves in this position on purpose??? I guarantee this ends badly for them.

There's no reason to believe that Revis can't regain his prior form given the rehabilitation of Tom Brady, Wes Welker and Adrian Peterson in recent years. If the Patriots had acquired Revis you can bet your bottom dollar the sentiment would be the complete opposite of what some are proposing.

The Bucs have (had) salary cap space to make these moves. They made them to counter the strengths of their divisional opponents. Good luck to them I say.

There's no reason to believe that Revis can't regain his prior form given the rehabilitation of Tom Brady, Wes Welker and Adrian Peterson in recent years. If the Patriots had acquired Revis you can bet your bottom dollar the sentiment would be the complete opposite of what some are proposing.

The Bucs have (had) salary cap space to make these moves. They made them to counter the strengths of their divisional opponents. Good luck to them I say.

ACL's aren't that big a deal anymore the rehab for them is down to a science. Especially at the elite athlete level.

Regarding the trade. I personally think the Bucs have done great here. They give up their 1st (who would they have picked in your opinion better?) for arguably the best CB in the game. That has a the flow on affect on Barron and Goldson at Saftey. It also helps out the Cb across from Revis like Wright getting alot of help. They have 1st and 2nd round talent sprinkled across their DL and Lavonte David was a star at LB.

For the chance for this to be the missing piece in their playoff puzzle and in a division with Ryan (Jones/White), Brees (Colston) at QB i think its going to have a big impact.

Jets have also picked up 12m this year apparently which is another bonus for them.

Anyway their are pro's and cons but i personally think this is a good move by this team at the risk of their 1st rounder and 4th next year they got arguably the best CB in the NFL. Downside is they had to pay the man.

Several things:

-ACLs aren't that big of an injury anymore. Revis tore it early in the season last year and there isn't any reason to believe he won't be 100% by training camp. Odds are good, he will be pre-injury Revis next year
-The Bucs needed to spend money to get above the salary cap minimum anyway. It isn't like they are up against the cap or anything. Even after paying Revis, there is only 3-4 teams with more cap room than the Bucs.
-I think the contract was more stupid for Revis than the Bucs although Revis is almost guaranteed $32 million over the next two years. By not guaranteeing Revis any money, they can cut him at any time and will have leverage to make him take a pay cut when his skills decline.

Almost any other team this might be a bad deal, but Bucs have tons of cap room which they will pass forward into next year and needed to increase their payroll to meet the salary cap minimum under the new CBA guidelines.

ACL's aren't that big a deal anymore the rehab for them is down to a science. Especially at the elite athlete level.

Regarding the trade. I personally think the Bucs have done great here. They give up their 1st (who would they have picked in your opinion better?) for arguably the best CB in the game. That has a the flow on affect on Barron and Goldson at Saftey. It also helps out the Cb across from Revis like Wright getting alot of help. They have 1st and 2nd round talent sprinkled across their DL and Lavonte David was a star at LB.

For the chance for this to be the missing piece in their playoff puzzle and in a division with Ryan (Jones/White), Brees (Colston) at QB i think its going to have a big impact.

Jets have also picked up 12m this year apparently which is another bonus for them.

Anyway their are pro's and cons but i personally think this is a good move by this team at the risk of their 1st rounder and 4th next year they got arguably the best CB in the NFL. Downside is they had to pay the man.
I also like the move jsull87. The Bucs were in a strong position to make this move. Sure, the contract may prove prohibitive in the future but, in the immediate short term, Revis immediately improves and legitimises their Secondary and Defense (especially with the addition of Goldson). Let's not pretend that most Patsfans would be enjoying some self fulfilment had the Patriots been able to add Revis and Goldson to their Secondary.

In terms of ACL recovery I tend to agree. I've heard of unfortunate news today that Daniel Menzel of the Geelong Cats in the AFL requires a fourth reconstructive surgery to an ACL. At 22ish, that's horrible to hear (given medical advancements).

Several things:

-ACLs aren't that big of an injury anymore. Revis tore it early in the season last year and there isn't any reason to believe he won't be 100% by training camp. Odds are good, he will be pre-injury Revis next year
-The Bucs needed to spend money to get above the salary cap minimum anyway. It isn't like they are up against the cap or anything. Even after paying Revis, there is only 3-4 teams with more cap room than the Bucs.
-I think the contract was more stupid for Revis than the Bucs although Revis is almost guaranteed $32 million over the next two years. By not guaranteeing Revis any money, they can cut him at any time and will have leverage to make him take a pay cut when his skills decline.

Almost any other team this might be a bad deal, but Bucs have tons of cap room which they will pass forward into next year and needed to increase their payroll to meet the salary cap minimum under the new CBA guidelines.

For the record, the penalty for non-compliance with the salary cap floor is that the "missing" money that should have been spent must be distributed among the players on the roster at the time.

I also like the move jsull87. The Bucs were in a strong position to make this move. Sure, the contract may prove prohibitive in the future but, in the immediate short term, Revis immediately improves and legitimises their Secondary and Defense (especially with the addition of Goldson). Let's not pretend that most Patsfans would be enjoying some self fulfilment had the Patriots been able to add Revis and Goldson to their Secondary.

In terms of ACL recovery I tend to agree. I've heard of unfortunate news today that Daniel Menzel of the Geelong Cats in the AFL requires a fourth reconstructive surgery to an ACL. At 22ish, that's horrible to hear (given medical advancements).

I agree. I think TB intends to take a QB at #43 or move back into the late first round for one, with them unlikely to extend Freeman they will have a low cost player for the next 3-4 years at what is generally the most expensive position on the team. This gives them the money to pay Revis and with no guaranteed money they can cut him should they need to lock up that QB earlier than anticipated.

Tampa is going to play very good defense and run the football with Martin and Blount and compliment it with game management passing. I think they will surprise some people this season.

My point exactly regarding the secondary. It is now a strength of their D (in a passing league and division). It should especially help against the more traditional passing attack of Atalanta. Lets not forget here that Revis has arguably been the best defensive player in the league the past 2 years before his injury. The guy was great.

Regarding ACL's I've had mine done and was back playing again 10 months later and still am. Mates have had successive surgeries on both knees and are back running around in top grades. These days they are just so common. Unless you are one of the unlucky few where it's not the acl surgery but you just have degenerative knees the surgery really isn't that big a deal. See exhibits: Peterson, Brady, Welker, and for Aussies: Palu (Waratahs), Quade Cooper (Reds), Brent Tate (has had 3 and still plays origin), Leuenburger.

It's generally 6+ months of rehab then a couple of months of running/cutting agility and you are good to go.

In saying that regarding Menzel sometimes there is an infection and it just ruins the entire process... tough stuff.

20822_528904800489546_430404945_n.png

bad trade for the Bucs. You don't win by paying a cornerback $16M per year, and you especially don't win by giving up those kinds of picks for the privilege of doing so.

I'm going to respectfully disagree here. The Bucs now have one of the better secondaries in the NFL, still have a lot of cap room, and there is zero guaranteed money. If they fix their pass rush, they'll easily have a top ten defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes