PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Revis to Bucs, pending physical

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be suicidal if a was a tampa fan.

Acquiring one of the best defensive players in the league on a non-guaranteed deal would make you suicidal?

If you were really a Tampa fan with that low of a threshold, I'd expect this image to put you into vomit hurling convulsions:

1041.gif

Hopefully the Patriots don't struggle to re-sign Talib, seeing as there's now a CB out there making 3x. This assumes that Talib plays a season demonstrating his worthiness of a new, large contract.

Also, RE: Seattle, it's incredible to me to consider how quickly you can stack up talent around your football team when you have a QB that isn't expensive, but also helps you win games. If anyone (else) is going to pay a CB top of the NFL dollars, while still winning games, it'll be a team with a QB on a rookie deal.

Yeah. Seahawks and 49ers have been able to take advantage of this.

Also, RE: Seattle, it's incredible to me to consider how quickly you can stack up talent around your football team when you have a QB that isn't expensive, but also helps you win games. If anyone (else) is going to pay a CB top of the NFL dollars, while still winning games, it'll be a team with a QB on a rookie deal.

Seattle will feel it soon, they have a lot of players (if not most of the roster) on cheap/rookie deals coming to an end in the next couple of years, there's no way they can keep them all.

2014 for example:
2014 Seattle Seahawks Free Agent Tracker

There's what, 7 starters in that list?

Bucs overpaid, should have held out till closer to the draft and made the jets jet desperate.

Seattle will feel it soon, they have a lot of players (if not most of the roster) on cheap/rookie deals coming to an end in the next couple of years, there's no way they can keep them all.

2014 for example:
2014 Seattle Seahawks Free Agent Tracker

There's what, 7 starters in that list?

Yes, they've got a distinct window, for sure. Wilson's rookie contract is only 4 years long (signed in 2012). They could get lucky with a non-flat cap by the time his big dollar years kick in, assuming they sign him to an extension - they'll still not have the resources available as they do this season for short term deals.

Bucs overpaid, should have held out till closer to the draft and made the jets jet desperate.

It's Revis. They were going to have to pony up the dough either way. But there is zero guaranteed money on the table. They can literally walk away a day after the season is over and not have to pay out the remainder of that contract. It's a pay-as-you-go Boost Mobile type deal for a team that has a ton of money to spend.

It's Revis. They were going to have to pony up the dough either way. But there is zero guaranteed money on the table. They can literally walk away a day after the season is over and not have to pay out the remainder of that contract. It's a pay-as-you-go Boost Mobile type deal for a team that has a ton of money to spend.

Exactly. They gave up a first in a draft that is unspectacular (eg. Darrelle Revis v Xavier Rhodes!) and a 3rd rounder next year so there's no great sacrifice there. Then they can comfortably afford the 16m for the next couple of years and still be able to afford to add to the team and if at any time they desperately need to free up cap space, they can trade or release Revis and suddenly clear 16m in cap. I can't for the life of me see how this is a bad deal...providing he's healthy of course.

That's not completely true. They have the extra money because they will likely use 43 on a QB or move back into the first round so for the next 4-5 years they will not be spending a lot on a QB so they have the extra money. What will determine their success will be how that QB performs.

Test post for new download of tapatalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back