PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Mallett not going to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know much better than to trust the official statements of GM's with regard to trade discussions, or lack thereof.

Sure--that's a fair statement, but I also know better to believe hyped up media reports that have been conflicting for the past 3 years, just as well.

I am curious if the JG pick was an attempt to force the Texans hand that didn't work.

Sure--that's a fair statement, but I also know better to believe hyped up media reports that have been conflicting for the past 3 years, just as well.

Ryan Mallet is the future of the N.E. Patriots. He and JG are going to end up being rotating QBs, and will be considered #1a and #1b all time, after they lead the New England Patriots to 15 consecutive Lombardis.

Ryan Mallet is the future of the N.E. Patriots. He and JG are going to end up being rotating QBs, and will be considered #1a and #1b all time, after they lead the New England Patriots to 15 consecutive Lombardis.
I trust that you are trying to set the record for how many posters will put you on "ignore".

I'm not sure what you're trying to infer, but I've always believed that we'd have to carry 3 QBs this season due to Mallett's pact being up and him leaving for free agency next spring.

That's the way it's normally been done, unless anyone is seriously going to pretend that they're comfortable with a rookie taking over the key backup role only months into his career.

Now---if someone would've offered anything nearly as high as some here would assume, then I believe that Belichick would've driven Mallett to the airport himself, while laughing all the way. That may have been enough to warrant such a gamble with having a new, rookie backup at the helm--which would obviously leave the team completely wide open and unprotected.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
I trust that you are trying to set the record for how many posters will put you on "ignore".

No, I've been won over by the Clinton/Obama style tactics of the homers, where attacking even the slightest deviation from the approved path is the way to go, and personal attacks on non-believers are just part of the fun. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right?

I am curious if the JG pick was an attempt to force the Texans hand that didn't work.

Weren't there a ton of QBs that could've been taken after the JG pick, had the Texans wanted to?

On top of that, if they liked JG that much, they certainly had the opportunity to take him at #33 just as well--or trade back into the bottom of round two. I'm not sure how our selection of JG at #62 would've forced their hand?

No, I've been won over by the Clinton/Obama style tactics of the homers, where attacking even the slightest deviation from the approved path is the way to go, and personal attacks on non-believers are just part of the fun. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right?

I'm not sure if this is aimed at me being a homer or not, but this is what I believe:

1--Mallett would never warrant a high round pick in trade compensation

2--Belichick is going to follow his normal pattern of keeping our new backup for a season before leaving him unprotected

3--JG wouldn't likely be able to pick up 1/4 of our playbook and system in the several month period between now and the start of the season

Obviously, I'm just expressing my opinion and could be quite wrong. I just personally didn't believe those that bought into the trade talk for the past couple of years, that's all.

I'm not sure if this is aimed at me being a homer or not, but this is what I believe:

1--Mallett would never warrant a high round pick in trade compensation

2--Belichick is going to follow his normal pattern of keeping our new backup for a season before leaving him unprotected

3--JG wouldn't likely be able to pick up 1/4 of our playbook and system in the several month period between now and the start of the season

Obviously, I'm just expressing my opinion and could be quite wrong. I just personally didn't believe those that bought into the trade talk for the past couple of years, that's all.

No, Supa, it's definitely not at you. You are, without question, one of the best posters on the board, and one of the most polite.

No, Supa, it's definitely not at you. You are, without question, one of the best posters on the board, and one of the most polite.

Certainly high praise, sir. Much appreciated.

HOU preferred to wait more than a round and have their choice of the rest. That seemed right for them. Thye got to choose from Savage, McCarron, Mettenburg, Murray and Boyd when they picked in the 4th.

Weren't there a ton of QBs that could've been taken after the JG pick, had the Texans wanted to?

On top of that, if they liked JG that much, they certainly had the opportunity to take him at #33 just as well--or trade back into the bottom of round two. I'm not sure how our selection of JG at #62 would've forced their hand?

Ian,
Somebody has hacked Deus' account. Please fix.
Thanks!

Bill Belichick's comments on Friday night weren't exactly difficult to decipher, at least in my opinion. "Well, go ask them then, if they know everything," (in reference to the reports) shows me some annoyance with the whole rumor.

I wonder if that fake rumor was intentionally leaked to Curran just so he could make an ass of himself.

We know there is no love lost between BB and Curran.

I wonder if that fake rumor was intentionally leaked to Curran just so he could make an ass of himself.

We know there is no love lost between BB and Curran.

I blame disgruntled Mary Paoletti

True. And extremely objective.

Thus ends the New England Patriots backup quarterback charade:

2012 - Brian Hoyer is worth a second round draft pick
2013 - Mallett is worth the #6 overall draft pick
2014 - Mallett is worth the #33 overall draft pick

Per Ed Werder, Mallett is not available for trade.

IMO, this is great news. I think he will be a very good QB after these 3 years behind Brady.

On "not available for trade." I think anyone, as long as his contract permits it, is available for trade at the right price. It's more likely that the Pats haven't been offered what they feel would compensate them for the risk of leaving Brady without a backup who knows the system and team.

On "he will be a very good QB..." If Belichick agreed, he wouldn't have drafted a QB in the Second Round. The only thing that the Garoppolo pick tells us is that Mallett doesn't figure in the Pats long term plans.

You speak as if there would be a market for him as a UFA.
There will be a bigger market for him as a UFA than there as a guy that teams would have to trade for.

If the guy truly wants to start, his best bet is to become a UFA at the end of this year, unless he feels Houston is the best chance for him to start (which it probably isn't). Otherwise, he is better off sitting on the bench for 1 year in NE than for 2 years in Houston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back