PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss, SMY: Seau signs today

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect, I don't remember seeing big plays coming out of our LB corp (except one fumble forced by Mayo). This LB group is pretty week (self-evident by the Seau signing) and probably at bottom of the league. As for Butler, I am not questioning the pick. But he has not contributed much so far.
You underestimated these USC guys. Obviously time will tell, but they are getting off a great start. Maualuga has 27 tackles, sack, 2 forced fumbles in his first 5 NFL games. His productivity speaks for itself. He's flying around and crushing people. He knows how to play the game; calling him dumb is bit unjustified. I highlighted you comment as I believe it's a common practice here "defending Bill with any logic". That's what he gets after winning 3 SBs. But I chose to keep on looking for ways to improve.

Rather than detract from any of the USC guys i would use different logic to defend BB and that is the fact that he drafted a LB obviously he couldn't predict the injury that McKenzie would get. It would have been nice to have him on this team and with the Mayo injury he likely would have gotten some PT. Hopefully the injury doesn't derail him before he gets started.

I was actually hoping, that this year, we wouldn't have to ask a 40 year old guy to unretire again. You know....youth movement and all.

Until the Patriots drafted Mayo in 2008, BB had never used a high

draft pick on a linebacker. There has never been a youth movement

at this position. BB inherited Ted Johnson, Tedy Bruschi, and Willie

McGinest from his predecessors and signed Mike Vrabel, Roman

Phifer, Rosevelt Colvin, Junior Seau, and Adalius Thomas as free

agents. Don't be surprised if he doesn't draft a linebacker again

next year.

Last edited:
The question was why Belichick didn't use one of top two draft choices on a linebacker instead on Chung and Brace. (the poster included #41 and butler, but that part isn't needed to focus on the issue).

The injury to mid-round pick McKenzie isn't relevant to the discussion of Belichick's judgement that the use if a top 45 pick for a linebacker was unneeded, even though we had THREE such picks.

Rather than detract from any of the USC guys i would use different logic to defend BB and that is the fact that he drafted a LB obviously he couldn't predict the injury that McKenzie would get. It would have been nice to have him on this team and with the Mayo injury he likely would have gotten some PT. Hopefully the injury doesn't derail him before he gets started.

The question was why Belichick didn't use one of top two draft choices on a linebacker instead on Chung and Brace. (the poster included #41 and butler, but that part isn't needed to focus on the issue).

The injury to mid-round pick McKenzie isn't relevant to the discussion of Belichick's judgement that the use if a top 45 pick for a linebacker was unneeded, even though we had THREE such picks.

How can you say that the fact that there was a LBer he liked that he could draft later is not relevant to this discussion????

There was no guarantee at all that a linebacker who could contribute this year would be available at the end of third round and we would be in a position to draft him.

OK, Belichick thought that the linebacker position was worth a draft pick at the end of the third round or in the fourth and thought that players likely to be available at the end of the third round would be sufficient to meet the 2009 and 2010 needs at linebacker. Is that better?

Belichick chose to pass on linebackers at 34 and 40. I don't think that Belichick delayed until the end of the third round and our 7th opportunity (34, 40, 41, two 3rd traded into 2010 and Tate) because he thought there was a very serious need at linebacker.

You are certainly entitled to believe that Belichick chose to meet a critical 2009 need in this manner. Many of us thought at the time that Belichick would choose this direction and draft a linebacker in the late 3rd or 4th. But that was BECAUSE we believed that if Belichick took that route, he was reasonably satisfied with Mayo, Thomas, Guyton, Woods Banta-Cain, Crable and Alexander as our linebackers, with all of us understanding that Belichick would likely add a free agent or two. He has added Ninkovich and Seau. Lenon has come and gone. Crable has been put on IR. So we have Ninkovich and Seau instead of Crable and McKenzie.

How can you say that the fact that there was a LBer he liked that he could draft later is not relevant to this discussion????

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back