PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss reports Maroney fires agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Mike Reiss got it wrong and no one says a word? If that was Solomon or Thomase, everyone would be yelling and screaming about how they are lazy reporters and can't get anything right.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
So, Mike Reiss got it wrong and no one says a word? If that was Solomon or Thomase, everyone would be yelling and screaming about how they are lazy reporters and can't get anything right.

This is a fair point. It does look like a very big goof by Mr. Reiss, and a different writer would probably have been raked over the coals.

Actually, the silence on this is pretty unusual. When an article is negative or inaccurate posters reliably target the "idiot" writer (while an admired article is often just a "good read" or "terrific piece" as if the article wrote itself).

Did anyone see Maroney on the NFL Network's rookie special? I couldn't understand a word he said. If the kid hopes to make any commercials down the road he'll need a diction coach.

I'm Ron Borges? said:

Who's to say Reiss didn't get that info from Solomon? He is after all the Globe's beat reporter. The Herald's beat reporter didn't have anything on the story - actually he hasn't had anything on the Patriots in some time. He was busy traveling with the Red Sox on their last road trip. Must be resting up for camp this week. Like his MIA mentor Felger.

People take issue with Solomon because he at times takes an approach to this franchise that appears to be agenda driven. That is not what a beat reporter is supposed to do. It's what columnists like Borges and Cafardo are kept around to do.

People take issue with Tomase because like Cafardo his first love is the Red Sox and he appeared to take the path of least resistance - becoming the story via his over the top tirades against Manny - as his road out of the local sportswriters version of the minors of the metro west and into the majors of big market Boston media - even though it meant covering the Pats. Reiss was tapped by the Globe based on his dogged information gathering based blog coverage of the Patriots and it's popularity with an internet savvy fan base.

The information he based his story on came from the same source Florio sited - the NFLPA. Clayton contradictory source is the agency in question. I'm surprised the Globe hasn't amended Reiss' story yet but they may be waiting to talk to the only good source which would be Maroney. Agents have been known to be the last to know what their clients are thinking (see Vinatieri, Adam 2006 FA).

Tunescribe said:
Did anyone see Maroney on the NFL Network's rookie special? I couldn't understand a word he said. If the kid hopes to make any commercials down the road he'll need a diction coach.

I think if he can runfast and for 1500+ yards his commercial endorsements will revolve around non speaking rolls. :D

I'm Ron Borges? said:

Mike Reiss is the only writer in this city that seems to care about the fans. He knows how much this team means to the fans and is willing to search under every nook and cranny for info. He leaves no stone unturned and it can't be easy for him as 98% of those stones have nothing underneath them.

He's allowed a blunder because he rarely blunders! It's the effort we appreciate and he's the only one who is trying!

He's not intimidated by the opinions of his peers and is only interested in providing the fans with as much information as possible.

I'm a fan, and I very much appreciate his efforts and his integrity and I wish those efforts and integrity would rub off on all the other writers in the area!

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

July 19, 2006
Maroney follow

Patriots rookie running back Laurence Maroney is back where he started.

Maroney, who terminated his relationship with his agents earlier this month, has re-signed with the same group (Lock, Metz & Malinovic Sports). The official paperwork was filed with the NFL Players Association today, according to NFLPA Director of Communications Carl Francis.

The news is important to the Patriots because it clarifies who they will be negotiating with regarding Maroney’s rookie deal.

Maroney had been recruited by at least one other agent, specifically a former employee of Lock, Metz & Malinovic, before officially re-signing with the group today.

There are a few possible scenarios regarding the way the situation unfolded.

One is that Maroney never intended to leave his original agents. In that case, he was still required to file termination paperwork because the agreement he initially signed was consummated, at least in part, through the former employee of Lock, Metz & Malinovic Sports.

The other is that Maroney was indeed considering a change, perhaps to follow the former employee, before ultimately deciding to stay put.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 12:52:26 PM

Last edited:
Well, it's fair to say that the implication of what Reiss reported was incorrect that Maroney was 'switching'. But, to me, it was still precisely the factual information that many of us are so appreciative of coming from Mike. Again, to me, it doesn't at all tarnish his reputation.

Also, you have to be careful in interpreting what he wrote. I think you have to discount completely the heading "Maroney Changes Course, Fires Agent". This is almost certainly from an idiot sports editor or website editor. I have a huge amount of disgust for these guys. Time after time over the years, they have sensationalized headings that were not representative of the actual article text. I think they love to try to use their 'headline' power to be divisive and cause trouble. I especially remember articles about Mo Vaughn's comments that did not support the inflammatory headlines at all.

But, back to Mike. He basically reported factual information on a timely basis which is what I think we appreciate. He just reported that the NFLPA site no longer had those agents listed as representing Maroney. That appears to remain completely correct. He also said later that it was unknown as to who was now representing Maroney. I find the rest of the article interesting and informative as to what the implications would be if Maroney did switch agents. Seemed like good reading.

"The process of signing rookie running back Laurence Maroney to a contract has taken an unexpected turn.

Maroney, the Patriots' first-round pick, has left the Lock, Metz & Malinovic Sports firm he originally hired to represent him, according to NFL Players Association records. As of late yesterday, Maroney had yet to file paperwork with the NFLPA that indicated who would be representing him."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft