PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Outburst was with O'Brien, not Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they actually have an OC .... we don't!

Umm, please show me where having an Offensive Coordinator guarantees you anything.

Not having an OC put the play-calling on Brady, O'Brien and whomever is upstairs in the booth. Prior to Monday's game, Brady had been audibling way too much. Monday's game was a nice change. Brady spread the ball around some, but still only hit 5 receivers. Granted, they didn't substitute much either.

Having an OC just means there is another guy to blame or congratulate.

And given the "quality" of their offense, what does that tell you?
They are missing key WR component of that offense (Rice/Harvin) so it's tough to say. Now with Moss in tow we'll see I suppose

Umm, please show me where having an Offensive Coordinator guarantees you anything.

Having an OC just means there is another guy to blame or congratulate.
Hmmm, I guess this is why so few NFL teams actually bother to employ an OC :rolleyes:

Randy was apparently in psychotic meltdown mode on Monday per Steve Burton who was on the field as the All Access /postgame host. We've heard the story about the national anthem - he turned his back on the anthem and attempted to lead a rally asking players to go to war...players were uncomfortable and apparently the team was called on the carpet for this by the league. Before the opening kickoff while Scott O'Brien was trying to coach his ST unit up Randy intruded on that as well and began extolling the "nwords" to perform. Burton says that was caught on tape and audio...Troy Brown has said there were outbursts on the team plane on the way back between Moss and his teamates... Steve also gave more details on the kickoff dinner where Randy was seated at the Ratheon table. The top players are assigned to the top sponsors. As the dinner began Randy got up, left the table, went to the back of the room with his back to the diners and began listening to his headphones. The sponsors were confused and upset and the team made efforts to get him back to the table to no avail. Then of course there was the week 1 presser from hell...

This situation was obviously spiraling further out of control weekly.

Sounds to me like he was trying his damndest to get traded. It worked out for him. I hope he enjoys his time in Minnesota.

Sounds to me like he was trying his damndest to get traded. It worked out for him. I hope he enjoys his time in Minnesota.

The only thing that doesnt add up in all of this is that after the game I think Curran, Reiss, and Rapoport all said that Moss was happy in the locker room saying that "it was all part of the game plan" for him not to catch many passes". This completely contradicts what we heard took place on the plane ride home, at halftime, and at points on the sideline that I saw Moss looking completely disinterested

Last edited:
The only thing that doesnt add up in all of this is that after the game I think Curran, Reiss, and Rapoport all said that Moss was happy in the locker room saying that "it was all part of the game plan" for him not to catch many passes". This completely contradicts what we heard took place on the plane ride home, at halftime, and at points on the sideline that I saw Moss looking completely disinterested

Did they say he was happy? Personally, knowing this stuff now, I interpret "It's all in the gameplan" a bit differently.

Did they say he was happy? Personally, knowing this stuff now, I interpret "It's all in the gameplan" a bit differently.

Yes, I can see where you are coming from with your interpretation, but yes I remember reading they all said he was happy and laughing with them and teammates

Hmmm, I guess this is why so few NFL teams actually bother to employ an OC :rolleyes:

The OC is a pretty modern invention in terms of football history.

You can roll your eyes all you want, but you're the one who presented the argument and fallen flat on your face trying to support it.

And you are the one rationalizing and making excuses saying that Harvin and Rice not being available are the reason that the Minn offense has been putrid. Are you saying that the other receivers are why Favre has thrown more Picks than TDs?

OH, and Harvin has missed NO games. So how can that be an excuse for their offense being bad???

Face it. You stepped in it. Just admit you were wrong and move on.

I like the dink and dunk offense. It's effective. The long ball is such a low percentage play - and if Moss is covered like a cheap suit - it's even lower. C'mon people. The sky is not falling that far....

I don't think it is a matter of connecting on the long ball (hopefully as that is Brady's worst throw) as much as it is the respect a defense must give to protect it. Losing the greatest deep threat in the history of football makes playing D against the Pats much easier.

Crap, I just went from IBBWT to WTF! I not totally angry or depressed we traded Moss but I wish we could have traded O'Brien instead. Hell, I would have given up picks to dump O'Brien.

Yes, I can see where you are coming from with your interpretation, but yes I remember reading they all said he was happy and laughing with them and teammates

It could be that Randy got confronted on the team plane about his actions by the Captains or maybe a veteran or two and that is what set him off. If they tried to handle it discretely.

Personally, it does sound like Randy was trying to get traded and that the outburst with O'Brien, followed by the one on the plane, were the final straws.

Oh, I didn't read that. I DID see (as you did) Moss standing alone blank-faced on the sidelines a lot. I was unhappy to see he was not one of the teammates Brady was slapping high fives with. It definitely sat wrong with me.

Moss stated he was unhappy after the first game and the pats never talked to him about a contract extension.Now wat Moss did is childish but management didnt exactly do well in not approaching him.

If Mcdaniels was the OC i guanrantee u that Moss's numbers wouldnt be wat they are.

This ^

You can't tell me that a 36 year old Terrell Owens can have 222 yards and Randy Moss have 0. The fact is that O'Brien is a moron who is about as qualified to be calling plays as Randy's old O.C. in Oakland, Tom Walsh. The genius who was hired by Art Shell after being talked into leaving his Bed & Breakfast job and told anyone who would listen that Moss' legs were gone. Then in 2007 with a competent O.C. in Josh McDaniels calling plays, the Pats were an offensive juggernaut with that dead legged Moss catching 23 TD's.

To get back to T.O vs. Moss point. The Bengals targeted T.O. 15 times while the Pats targeted Moss 1 time. There's your difference.

That pass is actually a great example of what the Patriots will be missing moving forward. There are, maybe, a handful of players who had any real shot at that ball, yet we're legitimately questioning whether or not Moss should have made that catch and whether Moss wasn't 100% focused on it.

I totally agree.
That pass, along with the one handed catch by Moss vs. Revis, are 2 examples of Brady being inaccurate but Randy's length making it either successful or close to successful.

Remember the 2007 late drive vs. the Colts when Moss snagged the badly overthrown pass down the middle? NO ONE else makes that catch...just like NO ONE else makes the 55yd catch with the Indy defender abusing him in the 4th quarter. Without Randy, we lose that game and we'd be 8-1...not close to 16-0.

The OC is a pretty modern invention in terms of football history.

You can roll your eyes all you want, but you're the one who presented the argument and fallen flat on your face trying to support it.

And you are the one rationalizing and making excuses saying that Harvin and Rice not being available are the reason that the Minn offense has been putrid. Are you saying that the other receivers are why Favre has thrown more Picks than TDs?

OH, and Harvin has missed NO games. So how can that be an excuse for their offense being bad???

Face it. You stepped in it. Just admit you were wrong and move on.

OK, play caller then if you'd like.

We have a doofus for a play caller who wouldn't know how to utilize Moss if Bill Walsh showed him. :rolleyes:

As for the Vikes and Rice and Harvin. Rice is hurt and Harvin is going through serious headache issues which can't be helping his production any. It's no wonder the Vikes offense is out of whack. But, Moss will change that. Wait and see!

I don't think it is a matter of connecting on the long ball (hopefully as that is Brady's worst throw) as much as it is the respect a defense must give to protect it. Losing the greatest deep threat in the history of football makes playing D against the Pats much easier.

Tell that to the teams that played against the Pats in 2003 and 2004. The Pats still have at least 2 players who can "stretch the field" in Tate and Hernandez. I can remember the pass to Troy Brown against Miami. I can remember the pass to Deion Branch against Pittsburgh.

Hernandez leads the team in catches over 20 yards. Definitely has the speed to open things up. Edelman has more speed than quickness, but not by much.

The Pats have used more intermediate routes (10-20 yard routes) than they have in recent memory. I think that this will continue. And I think that with the dynamic receivers they have, they can have the kind of success the dink and dunk receivers (Branch/Givens/Brown) did in 2003 and 2004.

The best part is that it still opens up the field for the running game and for the deep threat.

OK, play caller then if you'd like.

We have a doofus for a play caller who wouldn't know how to utilize Moss if Bill Walsh showed him. :rolleyes:

As for the Vikes and Rice and Harvin. Rice is hurt and Harvin is going through serious headache issues which can't be helping his production any. It's no wonder the Vikes offense is out of whack. But, Moss will change that. Wait and see!

So, what you are saying is that it's the lack of Rice and Harvin's headaches that are to blame for Favre throwing 6 interceptions and for their running game not being as effective as normal...

Dude, stop. Just stop. Those are excuses and they are BS ones at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST