PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Adalius Thomas released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AD is out! Thomas released today.

His role was to be a professional: suck it up and do his job. He was terribly suited for that role

Fair enough. But that is still on him.

Its a young mans game this NFL and its no more important to have hungry playmakers with speed than with LB's in a 3 - 4.

We saw what happened when Ted Johnson, Vrabel, McGinest, Bruschi, suddenly got old and lost a step. The desire was there, but the body wasnt.

Breer weighs in:

Where it all went wrong - Extra Points - Boston.com

This whole affair is also further proof of this: Locker-room chemistry is, in large part, controlled by winning and losing. When the Patriots were kicking everybody's tail in 2007, Thomas was fine. When they were fighting through 2009, he wasn't.

In the end, the Patriots and Thomas didn't seem to fit each other, personality-wise, and winning simply hid that early on.

The bigger issue, of course, for the team is its own mis-evaluation of the player Thomas was, even with warning signs out there, and also misfiring on the kind of fit he was for their particular belief system.

Well as one of the biggest homers on this site of course you won't agree

He wasn't suited for what they asked him to do. They should have realized this and gotten what they could for him in a trade. It was stupid trying to mold him into something he's not

I don't think I understand.
Thomas played poorly and had pass rushing repsonsiblities taken away from him. Are you suggesting that he should have been allowed to rush the passer even if he was ineffective because thats the role he wanted to have?
There was no trade market for him under that contract

Well as one of the biggest homers on this site of course you won't agree

He wasn't suited for what they asked him to do. They should have realized this and gotten what they could for him in a trade. It was stupid trying to mold him into something he's not

Another case of "I know more about football and what AD's role should have been than BB and the Patriots". It never ceases to amaze me the level of expertise some people believe they have based on media reports.

For the record, from most of what I've heard about Adalius Thomas, he's actually a very decent and upstanding young man. His wife is a child educator and he has done many appearances and has given multiple talks outside of his football persona about child education, etc. He was beloved in the Baltimore non-sporting community.

So pardon me if I don't join the pitchfork crowd here trying to paint him as a mixture of the Shoebomber and Bernie Madoff.

Did it not work in the end between him and the coaching staff? Looks like it. So he was fired. That's what happens. The need by some to personally villify him and paint him as something almost evil escapes me.

I don't think he is the devil, but he is an arse. Whatever he is like in his personal life, he was WAAAAYYY out of line this year. I know players get frustrated on how teams treat them, but they can deal with it like a professional or how Thomas dealt with it. Thomas wanted out and he chose to be a cancer rather than trying his best and asking for a trade or release. I heard this weekend that word out the lockerroom was he was becoming such a distraction that most of the team just shut him out completely.

Breer is doing a bit of 20/20 arm chair general managing. I don't think there were as many warning signs about the guy as Breer implies. I do agree the Pats should have done more of their homework on the guy, but that falls more on Pioli and his staff and he is gone (they are supposed to bring Belichick everything he needs to know to make the decision) unless Belichick knew the warning signs and took the risk anyway.

Addition by subraction and someone else's problem now...the team doesn't have to address him anymore and continuing whatever feud is going to make him look foolish and childish- and add fuel to the validation for kicking him to the curb.

So long AD, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Anyone know if he will be able to net the Patriots a compensatory selection?

Addition by subraction and someone else's problem now...the team doesn't have to address him anymore and continuing whatever feud is going to make him look foolish and childish- and add fuel to the validation for kicking him to the curb.

So long AD, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Anyone know if he will be able to net the Patriots a compensatory selection?

You don't get comp picks when you cut someone. Only if they leave via free agency.

This is a great day,finally. Go join the Jets loser.

Wants Springs is released, the cancer is gone and we have a young, fun lockeroom with Big Vince the leader.

The Revolving Door of the Front Seven is Gone...Happy Days,The locker room has all of a sudden received chemotherapy to cure the cancer

BTW Adalius...GFY

Last edited:
I figured they were holding onto him for the post-draft desperation trades by teams in need. With his release, I'll take that as a resounding 'no.'

The possibilities seemed limitless when he joined the Pats, but it just didn't pan out. I am not sorry to see him go at this point as I was tired of him spouting to the media. He was not a coach and he was not the team - he was a player and should have remembered that prior to his media sessions publicizing disputes with the head coach. If he takes that approach on the road with another team, I expect his stay will be even shorter than it was with the Pats.

For the record, from most of what I've heard about Adalius Thomas, he's actually a very decent and upstanding young man. His wife is a child educator and he has done many appearances and has given multiple talks outside of his football persona about child education, etc. He was beloved in the Baltimore non-sporting community.

So pardon me if I don't join the pitchfork crowd here trying to paint him as a mixture of the Shoebomber and Bernie Madoff.

Did it not work in the end between him and the coaching staff? Looks like it. So he was fired. That's what happens. The need by some to personally villify him and paint him as something almost evil escapes me.

Of course he's not evil in any meaningfull sense. It's a sports board FAN reaction.

AD's problem was that he was unable and/or most certainly unwilling to play the role(s) assigned to him, performed sub par and then let his extreme negative attitude become openly detremental to the team. Got him fired and I'll wager cost him a few million $ in the process. His next contract will be for substantially less than the Pats contract. It may be a 1 year show me with no follow on of substance if 2011 continues to loom as a lockout risk. Bummer for an over 30 player.

Previously I'd speculated that failing a pre draft trade for a #7, BB would hold onto the guy untill the end of camp as injury insurance. I was wrong. Several possible reasons...

1. Felt he had the guys equal or better to AD's pitifull contribution at LB given expectations of 1 more vet pickup from other teams' cuts late in camp.

2. Didn't want AD's extremely negative attitude polluting any more new young players

Breer is doing a bit of 20/20 arm chair general managing. I don't think there were as many warning signs about the guy as Breer implies. I do agree the Pats should have done more of their homework on the guy, but that falls more on Pioli and his staff and he is gone (they are supposed to bring Belichick everything he needs to know to make the decision) unless Belichick knew the warning signs and took the risk anyway.

Agreed on that point- AD was a beast among men, nice guy, all that. I didn't read the warning signs link but I clicked it and found it's written by Borges just fyi.

Of course he's not evil in any meaningfull sense. It's a sports board FAN reaction.

AD's problem was that he was unable and/or most certainly unwilling to play the role(s) assigned to him, performed sub par and then let his extreme negative attitude become openly detremental to the team. Got him fired and I'll wager cost him a few million $ in the process. His next contract will be for substantially less than the Pats contract. It may be a 1 year show me with no follow on of substance if 2011 continues to loom as a lockout risk. Bummer for an over 30 player.

yeah, he's just going to have to try to live off that $24m the pats paid him, plus whatever income he can scrounge off part time jobs.

Here is the problem with Adalius...

Everything was cool in 2007 with such a star studded team and there was nothing to complain about...we all were excited about the team and AD's Humble Pie T-Shirts that some of us might actually still own.

Once the nucleus of the team on defense had departed via Retirement or trades, Adalius secret came out with his disagreements of the way he was being utilized...once the vets who were on the team kept him in line were gone he lashed out,he had really felt that way from day one but winning games kept his mouth shut for awhile.

Its truly a shame that he could not get his act together here...Of all the players in SB 42, Adalius was our best player that game and might have been his best game as a Patriot.

Last edited:
Re: AD is out!

I bet he has a career year. Regardless he needed to go. Players like him make large contracts a great risk.

Pretty much my sentiments.

And the time to cut him was indeed now, before he had a chance to injure himself at mandatory camp.

As for making him wait a few weeks longer or something to be cut out of spite -- he could have been a bigger jerk than he was, so the Pats don't need to max out their punishment of him either.

Re: AD is out!

Very happy to hear this. **** off AD. :)

2. Didn't want AD's extremely negative attitude polluting any more new young players

Not only will he not pollute the new players they will get a clear message that behavior like that will not be tolorated. It's the Patriot Way or Route 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back