PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Redskins week injury updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Spikes returns to practice today

Good. Spikes has impressed me this season. With him and Fletcher returning, our LB situation improves markedly.

If Spikes practices tomorrow as well, he will play on Sunday. If Ridley and Vollmer miss tomorrow as well, they will probably be inactivated for Sunday (if Ridley is back by then).

Very glad to hear the good news about Spikes and Fletcher this week. Now if Vollmer can get healthy we are in a good position for the playoff run.

Now that some defensive players return,all we need is McCourty to find the rhythm he lost from last season...then maybe,just maybe this defense can become formidable.

If Spikes practices tomorrow as well, he will play on Sunday. If Ridley and Vollmer miss tomorrow as well, they will probably be inactivated for Sunday (if Ridley is back by then).

Based on how the Pats have been dealing with injured defensive starters lately, I doubt Spikes plays this weekend. Chung has been practicing for a few weeks without being activated. Fletcher practiced last week and didn't play. McCourty took two weeks or so of practicing before being activated. I think we will see Spikes be activated around Tebow time.

As for Vollmer, word is he is going to miss some time. At least that is what I heard on the radio last weekend. My guess he might be out until Tebow time too.

As much as I'm chomping at the bit to see these guys again, I'm in favor of letting guys heal until we face the Tebows. As horrific as it is to contemplate, losing THIS game against an NFC opponent does us the least harm as a L.

I suspect they will hold him out this weekend, or at most will play a few snaps.. let him heal and get strong.

Good. Spikes has impressed me this season. With him and Fletcher returning, our LB situation improves markedly.

Just in time for the Tebow game next week. We will need our run stuffing LB's!!!!!

Spikes is our Ted Johnson and Flethcher is the LB best suited to be Tebow's shadow.

The timing is excellent for this. I'm OK if Spikes just practices this week and sits out the Skins game in order to be ready for Ascension to Mile High to Meet Tesus.

[Post edit: I see PWP and Darryls already are thinking the same thing.]

Last edited:

As much as I'm chomping at the bit to see these guys again, I'm in favor of letting guys heal until we face the Tebows. As horrific as it is to contemplate, losing THIS game against an NFC opponent does us the least harm as a L.

I'm thinking Belichick will approach this game similar to the Colts game.

- There is no reason to lose this game with all their previous injuries plus Davis and Williams being suspended and Landry either out or hobbled.

- Also expect to see some more experimenting in the defensive backfield. Grossman is a mess and don't you think the Pats should be familiar with Gaffney and Stallworth?

- I would doubt we see Spikes this week but a return vs. the Tebows looks a little brighter. Recent injury returns have been more of a "getting close" indication than a "gonna play" sign.

- Helu is responsible for a large part of their offense (39% vs Seahawks, 47% vs Jets) which makes it easier to defend their offense.

I'm not suggesting the Pats will take the Skins lightly but it seems clear to me Bill "one game at a time" Belichick has at least one eye on getting healthy and ready for the playoffs...which is just fine by me.

Brandon Spikes is the Best Tackler on the N.E. Patriots whenever Spikes hit someone they just go Back on their @ss that is.:D Spikes is a Great Two Down Thumper.:cool:

I'm thinking Belichick will approach this game similar to the Colts game.

- There is no reason to lose this game with all their previous injuries plus Davis and Williams being suspended and Landry either out or hobbled.

- Also expect to see some more experimenting in the defensive backfield. Grossman is a mess and don't you think the Pats should be familiar with Gaffney and Stallworth?

- I would doubt we see Spikes this week but a return vs. the Tebows looks a little brighter. Recent injury returns have been more of a "getting close" indication than a "gonna play" sign.

- Helu is responsible for a large part of their offense (39% vs Seahawks, 47% vs Jets) which makes it easier to defend their offense.

I'm not suggesting the Pats will take the Skins lightly but it seems clear to me Bill "one game at a time" Belichick has at least one eye on getting healthy and ready for the playoffs...which is just fine by me.

Could not agree more. Given a decent start by the offense, BB will continue to rest the wounded and try out different assignments. I think he's inactive but we might see a Spikes play a few downs but only to regain football timing.

Will for example someone like Edelman get more work at slot DB or is he established there in BB's opinion and are we simply keeping potential film which could show weaknesses and tendencies away from playoff opponents? Probably not.

This is only a walkthrough practice. Spikes was also present at this practice last week, and did not practice the other two days.

Spikes would be a welcome addition to this team, but he is going to have to practice for a few more days before being ready to play on Sunday.

I give give it a 1% chance he actually plays this Sunday.

Belichick knows this defense is toast if any of the quality starters are out. He's not going to risk bringing anyone back early. Nice to see that Spikes can get out there, but he ain't playing.

We can clinch the AFCE tomorrow with a win and a Jets loss (though hard to imagine them losing to KC). If that happens i wouldn't even be surprised if BB continues to rest guys in Denver. Even moreso if Houston loses this week, as we wouldn't need to win to keep pace for the second bye.

Anybody know what is up with Ridley?

What kind of impact is expected of Dane Fletcher? The kid showed some good promise last year but we have no idea what kind of impact he will make in the rotation- if at all.

I do think that BB is high on him and seems to think that when out there the kid can make some plays but I would not say that WE KNOW he will make a difference. Spikes' value to the defense is bit more clear which is shooting the gaps and stopping the inside runs.

Re: Wed. Practice: Only Vollmer and Spikes Absent for Injury

BostonHerald.com - Patriots WR Wes Welker showed up to a charity event with a soft cast on his wrist

Patriots WR Wes Welker joined forces with the Hillman Foundation and Taylor Twellman’s Foundation for a charity event at the Foundation Room Tuesday night, and he was rocking an interesting accessory. As that photo shows, Welker had a soft cast on his right wrist.

Gasp! Well, kinda. The hard-nosed receiver looked fine otherwise and he actually won the gift-wrapping contest using that hand. That means it can’t be that bad.

Oh, and then when he was at practice yesterday, there either was no cast or it was covered up. Welker’s wrist wasn’t on the injury report because I’m told he wasn’t limited or encumbered in practice. And the team is usually pretty good about listing every, single, minute injury.

For a receiver with a soft cast on his wrist… something to watch. But considering Welker has played through broken ribs before, I wouldn’t worry too much.​

Given how much of a jokester WW is.... I would not put it past him to put on cast even without the slighest of injury just to rile people up when it appears in the papers and then not on the injury report.

I hope someone from the media asks Spikes next week if he's faster than Tebow. Cunningham too. Want to see some Gator v. Gator juices start flowing.

Re: Wed. Practice: Only Vollmer and Spikes Absent for Injury

Spikes goes from Did Not Practice on Wednesday to Limited on Thursday; everyone else the same.

Spikes limited in return to practice - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Welker is on the report - but for his knee, not his wrist.

Did Not Practice
Vollmer - back/foot
Ridley - family death

Limited
Arrington - foot
Chung - foot
Connolly - groin
Edelman - back
Fletcher - thumb
Ihedigbo - shoulder
McCourty - shoulder
Slater - shoulder