PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browner,Easley and Stork Downgraded to OUT for week 6 at Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too concerned about Browner. It's actually strange that we have an abundance of defensive backs considering they use to drop like flies for about the last decade.

Yeah, I don't get all of the concern about Browner. I think it's pretty obvious that Revis and Dennard are clearly our CB1 and CB2 and provide the best outside pure coverage skills.

I have a bad feeling about Browner sticking around. It just seems like "hitter, freelance" type players, ala: Spikes, Meriweather, don't seem to fit into the scheme. That, and hearing he's struggling to grasp the playbook, doesn't bode well for him. It would be nice to have somebody "feared" on the D tho... Not having Stork is definitely Scary. We finally see a line that works, and now we see another change :rolleyes:... I'm hoping it was more of an attitude change, team wide, that was the difference between the first few games and the Cincy game. I don't think I screamed at Solder at all. :)..It will be tough in Buffalo, but they've proved they "can" beat anybody if they get angry and focused.

those are 3 of the players I'm most interested in watching play.

should start hightower at DE if Chandler is still injured

should start hightower at DE if Chandler is still injured

I have a feeling that he'll be needed in the second level a bit more with Jackson and Spiller carrying the ball, or at least hitting the hole and helping to limit their initial momentum.

I'm interested in seeing him get some reps at DE too, but I'm not sure if this is the game to do it--that's all. I suppose I can see arguments either way.

Revis, Dennard, and Arrington have been one of the best trio of CBs in the NFL when they've all been on the field. I'm still wondering how Browner will see the field much anyway. No way he's in Revis's #1 WR spot or Arrington's nickel spot. It's going to come down to who's a better CB between Browner/Dennard.

And no, I doubt we move Browner outside and Dennard in the slot. Arrington's been great this year.
They can move him into safety and play the enforcer role. We havent had a player like that in a while.

The only positive about all of this is that after the Jets game we will have a mini BYE that might just take care of many of the issues that individual players have.

Win the next two by any means, doesn't matter how pretty.. Then regroup during the long week off. The gauntlet starts right then.

This a game where Stork being out isn't as bad as people think. Yes, the Bills have a dominant d-line, but they rarely line a d-lineman over center or in fact they rarely line up one or both DTs inside the guards at all. They split their d-line wide so the DEs are lined up wide outside the tackle and the DTs line up on the guard or outside the guard.

Have a smaller, but faster Wendell at center might actually be a good thing. He can quickly move to pick up the right defender to double. He will rarely have a d-lineman lining up right over him because that isn't the way Jim Schwartz runs his defense. In fact, he may not have a d-lineman line up within a yard of the center for most of the game.

Here is the video from Patriots All Access. At the 31:00 mark starts Belichick with the Belistrtator showing why losing Stork may not be nearly as big of a dea as people think:

http://www.patriots.com/media-cente...10102014/d0220a74-2668-44ad-a6fb-0c508bc51475

If BB put it on cable tv, why wouldn't Schwartz do just what BB claimed he wouldn't do?

That said, Connelly at center and Wendell at guard again for continuity's sake? Keep the tackle/guard combos, a decent vet at center and see if Wendell's quick jump gets the better of whoever is lined up against him.

This would be a detriment to the pass game unless the coaching staff feels both tackles are up taking on the DE 1V1, leaving the blocking back to pick up inside. This seems like a great game for Wright to build upon his production from last week. Amendola (auto correct wanted Mendoza...) won't help much. Threats outside matter this week. The bills secondary is banged up, threatening, if not producing, outside will help tremendously this week. If neither Dobson or Thyms are active or used, WTF.

The run should be hard to come by. Either way, give Ridley his carries. Especially early. Throw in some play action and hopefully that chance comes at the plus forty...deep to either lanky deep threat currently on the roster. If both are inactive, I'll take the bills by at least nine (no clue what the line is...pats favorites I'd assume?)

If BB put it on cable tv, why wouldn't Schwartz do just what BB claimed he wouldn't do?

Because then you start letting the opponent dictate what you do and you move away from your scheme and what your players do best. There will be wrinkles but it would make no sense to change everything up.

If both are inactive, I'll take the bills by at least nine (no clue what the line is...pats favorites I'd assume?)

The line opened with NE favored by -2 on the road. It hasn't changed much, aside from .5 taking it up to NE -2.5.

Some recent trends don't bode well with that number though:

• New England is 2-8 against the spread over its past 10 road games.
  • New England is 1-4 against the spread over its past five road games against a team with a winning home record.
  • New England is 2-8 against the spread over its past 10 games after scoring more than 30 points the previous game.
  • Buffalo is 4-1 against the spread over its past five games against the AFC East.

EDIT: I will gladly take a ONE point victory, just pointing to the current trends and fact that NE did not get bet too much this week, that's all.

That said, Connelly at center and Wendell at guard again for continuity's sake? Keep the tackle/guard combos, a decent vet at center and see if Wendell's quick jump gets the better of whoever is lined up against him.

This would be a detriment to the pass game unless the coaching staff feels both tackles are up taking on the DE 1V1, leaving the blocking back to pick up inside. This seems like a great game for Wright to build upon his production from last week. Amendola (auto correct wanted Mendoza...) won't help much. Threats outside matter this week. The bills secondary is banged up, threatening, if not producing, outside will help tremendously this week. If neither Dobson or Thyms are active or used, WTF.

The run should be hard to come by. Either way, give Ridley his carries. Especially early. Throw in some play action and hopefully that chance comes at the plus forty...deep to either lanky deep threat currently on the roster. If both are inactive, I'll take the bills by at least nine (no clue what the line is...pats favorites I'd assume?)

The Bills run their defense the way they run their defense. Whether or not Belichick put it on TV or not doesn't change that. Their defensive formations are not great big secrets. They have been running this split line formation all season. If Schwartz doesn't think Belichick knew that, he is brain dead. The Bills do not run a gameplan specific defense and this formation puts their personnel in the best position. I don't expect the Bills to change it. Besides, this video didn't air until Friday night. The Bills aren't going to radically change the gameplan on Saturday for a game on Sunday.

As for continuity, what difference does it make if they move Connolly or Wendell? They are moving one player out of position. Neither are playing center anymore.

I think the best line up is having Wendell at center because he is smaller and faster and can move to pick up the blocking assignment. Put him at guard and he will have to win a power battle wit Dareus which is his weakness. Dareus is 331 lbs and would eat up Wendell. I think you are better off putting Cannon at RG (his problem with reading defenses and reacting to blocking assignments is lessened with a team like the Bills because he will be lining up on Dareus most of the game).

In fact, if Stork was playing, I would have considered moving him to RG and Wendell to center for this game. A mauling center is almost wasted against a team like the Bills.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
This a game where Stork being out isn't as bad as people think. Yes, the Bills have a dominant d-line, but they rarely line a d-lineman over center or in fact they rarely line up one or both DTs inside the guards at all. They split their d-line wide so the DEs are lined up wide outside the tackle and the DTs line up on the guard or outside the guard.

. . .

Here is the video from Patriots All Access. At the 31:00 mark starts Belichick with the Belistrtator showing why losing Stork may not be nearly as big of a deal as people think:

All Access 10/10/2014 | Patriots.com - Media Center - Videos

I get your point but Darius blew through a double team in the A gap. That means he beat the center, Raiola, and the LG.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both Williams come inside too. They did that a bit against the Lions.

Frankly, the Bills were lucky to win. If the Lions had a decent college kicker, they would have put up 23, even without Megatron and Reggie Bush for much of the game.

Last edited:
Why anyone wants Connoly at Center? I don't know...

After Stork, Wendell is the best option we have at C. Put Cannon at RG ( a position he's lined up at before) and scheme around that.

Loss of Easley concerns me for the fact that we're running out of bodies to play the line..

Why anyone wants Connoly at Center? I don't know...

After Stork, Wendell is the best option we have at C. Put Cannon at RG ( a position he's lined up at before) and scheme around that.

Loss of Easley concerns me for the fact that we're running out of bodies to play the line..
I like what I saw from Wendell last week at RG and would prefer to keep some consistency to see if it is actually a good fit.

The Bills run their defense the way they run their defense. Whether or not Belichick put it on TV or not doesn't change that. Their defensive formations are not great big secrets. They have been running this split line formation all season. If Schwartz doesn't think Belichick knew that, he is brain dead. The Bills do not run a gameplan specific defense and this formation puts their personnel in the best position. I don't expect the Bills to change it. Besides, this video didn't air until Friday night. The Bills aren't going to radically change the gameplan on Saturday for a game on Sunday.

As for continuity, what difference does it make if they move Connolly or Wendell? They are moving one player out of position. Neither are playing center anymore.

I think the best line up is having Wendell at center because he is smaller and faster and can move to pick up the blocking assignment. Put him at guard and he will have to win a power battle wit Dareus which is his weakness. Dareus is 331 lbs and would eat up Wendell. I think you are better off putting Cannon at RG (his problem with reading defenses and reacting to blocking assignments is lessened with a team like the Bills because he will be lining up on Dareus most of the game).

In fact, if Stork was playing, I would have considered moving him to RG and Wendell to center for this game. A mauling center is almost wasted against a team like the Bills.
Excuse me for the tongue in cheek first sentence...take your meds dude

A mauling center is never wasted. Period.

What happens when is third and eight, and Dareus is forcing the a gap with a LB coming over top? Wendell gets steam rolled and hopefully Brady doesn't get killed. This is the exact type of d line that owns Wendell at center. As has been noted, his quickness off the ball makes up for his size and strength at guard. At center, his initial movement is backwards (...snapping...), thus negating what is one of his biggest strengths.

Wendell at center and we'll be lucky to keep it to a one score game.

What happens when is third and eight, and Dareus is forcing the a gap with a LB coming over top? Wendell gets steam rolled and hopefully Brady doesn't get killed. This is the exact type of d line that owns Wendell at center. As has been noted, his quickness off the ball makes up for his size and strength at guard. At center, his initial movement is backwards (...snapping...), thus negating what is one of his biggest strengths.

We gashed the Bills last year for over 250 yards in the ground. ...

That was with Wendell at center. ..

You mean a line that doesn't line up anywhere near the center is the exact type of line that steam rolls Wendell?!? Yes, they have big, strong DTs, but they do not pressure up the middle or put a DT on the center like many d-lines that have big, strong DTs that eat Wendell alive. They almost never put a DT on the nose and rarely are not in a split formation. If Wendell plays center, he will likely never be the first lineman to engage a d-lineman and many time will be responsible for picking up the LB shooting the gap.

And yes, a mauling center if he isn't quick enough is a waste vs. this type of defense. What good is mauling if you have no one to maul on the d-line and your primary responsibility is pick up the LB shooting the gap? What good is a mauling center if he isn't fast enough to read and react and run over to pick a DE or OLB rushing from the outside.

As for the comment of his first step moving back, you clearly don't understand the Bills' defense. The center today is not going to have his own d-line blocking assignment for most of the game. There will be no d-lineman actually lining up on him. His first step will likely be left or right to assist one of the guards on a blocking assignment. the center today is going to have to be mobile today because his primary responsibility will be to assist on the double team, pick up the LB shooting the gap, and /or pick up the man running free in the backfield. This is not a typical d-line. They split their DTs wider than most, if not all, the teams in the NFL.

Last edited:
I like what I saw from Wendell last week at RG and would prefer to keep some consistency to see if it is actually a good fit.

I think he is a bad fit at RG this week. He is better suited for center. The Bills DTs line up on guards much like other teams do to the center. The guards today are going to have to win a lot of one on one power struggles. That isn't Wendell's strength.

This is the exact type of game where you need a fast center to move around a lot to pick up blocking assignments. He is better suited at center today.

We gashed the Bills last year for over 250 yards in the ground. ...

That was with Wendell at center. ..

Actually 267 yards, 6.2 YPC, and 2 TDs. I know Blount got the bulk of it, but Ridley did have a good game too with 74 yards and 6.2 YPC himself.

hope cannon is not playing G really don't want to see him vs Marcell Dareus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back