PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox considering A-Rod for next year

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Yes, I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but with the Yankees season over I just wanted to get right on the record and say that I NEVER want to see A-Rod play for the Sox.

I'm beginning to seriously think this guy is cursed in the post-season... and takes that curse to every team he's played for.

Note that no team Rodriguez has played for has ever won the World Series... and he's been on some pretty talented team. Furthermore no team that he's played for has won a World Series even after he's left.

It's the "Curse of the Rodrigo" and its going to haunt the Yankees for the next 86 years or so... keep A-Rod away from here. We don't need a guy who doesn't show up in the post-season anyway.

Totally agree. For the money, Lowell seems like better value, no matter how great ARod is in the regular season.

Theo's not a moron.

Note that no team Rodriguez has played for has ever won the World Series... and he's been on some pretty talented team.
Not entirely true. While I obviously can't argue with the first point, he has never really been on a team made for the post season (ie good pitching). None of the Mariners teams he was on had good pitching, typically having a team ERA in the high 4s or low 5s. The Rangers teams he was on were just terrible from a pitching standpoint. And we all know the Yankees pitching problems the past few seasons. While he certainly hasn't shined the past few post seasons (to say the least), he actually had a pretty respectable post season this year relative to the team. A .267BA and .820OPS certainly isn't great, but compare it to what everyone else on that team did and he did pretty good.

Thats not to say that I want ARod on the team (certainly not for $30M a season as Boras will surely get him), but the idea that his is some unclutch choker who can't play in the postseason is completely overblown.

WTF? That's all I've got to say..............no really. Can someone please, please tell me, what is wrong with having arguably the greatest defensive third baseman in the history of the game (stats) and one that led a great hitting team, re-sign with the team. Unless they are thinking of moving Lugo, I don't get it. Not to mention, the rumors about him being a clubhouse cancer.

Totally agree. For the money, Lowell seems like better value, no matter how great ARod is in the regular season.

Teams are better off paying for Lowell type production at $10-12 million for 3 years persay, and using the $15-20 million difference elsewhere.

Not entirely true. While I obviously can't argue with the first point, he has never really been on a team made for the post season (ie good pitching). None of the Mariners teams he was on had good pitching, typically having a team ERA in the high 4s or low 5s. The Rangers teams he was on were just terrible from a pitching standpoint. And we all know the Yankees pitching problems the past few seasons. While he certainly hasn't shined the past few post seasons (to say the least), he actually had a pretty respectable post season this year relative to the team. A .267BA and .820OPS certainly isn't great, but compare it to what everyone else on that team did and he did pretty good.

Thats not to say that I want ARod on the team (certainly not for $30M a season as Boras will surely get him), but the idea that his is some unclutch choker who can't play in the postseason is completely overblown.

I agree with your remarks about teams, Arod, and the WS, but disagree with his "respectable postseason" bit. The bottom line is that teams win a World Series, and pitching tends to be the key component. To say he's never won as a reflection of it being his doing is silly. There we agree. However, he had a sh!tty postseason. What your teammates hit is irrelevent. He left countless runners on base, and failed to drive in any runs when it mattered most. When you're a 3 time MVP, and the highest paid player in history, you need to produce when it matters. As a Yanks fan who watches all the games, I can atest to the fact that A-Rod was godly, and MVP worthy this year, but he sucked in the playoffs when it mattered.

WTF? That's all I've got to say..............no really. Can someone please, please tell me, what is wrong with having arguably the greatest defensive third baseman in the history of the game (stats) and one that led a great hitting team, re-sign with the team. Unless they are thinking of moving Lugo, I don't get it. Not to mention, the rumors about him being a clubhouse cancer.

If the Sox were thinking of moving Youk to 3rd and signing a power bat for 1st, then I could see it maybe. However, Lowell is worth resigning IMO.

Because an off-year for ARod is a career year for Lowell. Lowell is a very good player; ARod could retire tomorrow and be a first ballot HOF. Not wanting to resign Lowell in favor of ARod has nothing to do with Lowell not being good enough, it just has to do with wanting someone who is on pace to be one of the greatest players in the history of baseball.

If they have the opportunity to sign ARod for a reasonable price ($21-23M a season) than Mike Lowell should not come in the way. I'd be shocked if they could sign him for a reasonable price (and agree with not signing him if Boras doesn't back down), but they should at least pursue him if he becomes a FA.

Plus, hes good friends with Ortiz, so I don't think the "clubhouse cancer" rumor would be that much of a concern.

I agree with your remarks about teams, Arod, and the WS, but disagree with his "respectable postseason" bit. The bottom line is that teams win a World Series, and pitching tends to be the key component. To say he's never won as a reflection of it being his doing is silly. There we agree. However, he had a sh!tty postseason. What your teammates hit is irrelevent. He left countless runners on base, and failed to drive in any runs when it mattered most. When you're a 3 time MVP, and the highest paid player in history, you need to produce when it matters. As a Yanks fan who watches all the games, I can atest to the fact that A-Rod was godly, and MVP worthy this year, but he sucked in the playoffs when it mattered.
I'm not saying that he should be happy about what he did in the postseason this year, I just find it harder to chastise someone for doing poorly when a majority of those around them do even worse.

And ARod left on 6 guys on base. Thats not bad. Cano and Damon (two of the only guys with a pulse) left on 7 and 6. If not for ARods 2006 postseason there would be no criticism at all for ARod this year.

Since when did Arod become a permanent 3rd Baseman? Mr Yankee currently plays Short on that particular team; but (sorry Julio) the last Mr Red Sox we had at Short done got traded at the deadline in '04.

btw, in '08 its Youk to 3rd and Kielty, yes I said Kielty, to 1st. Tito and Theo have some weird infatuation with the guy. You heard it here first.

Last edited:
Since when did Arod become a permanent 3rd Baseman? Mr Yankee currently plays Short on that particular team; but (sorry Julio) the last Mr Red Sox we had at Short done got traded at the deadline in '04.

btw, in '08 its Youk to 3rd and Kielty, yes I said Kielty, to 1st. Tito and Theo have some weird infatuation with the guy. You heard it here first.

And don't forget Theo's fascination with Todd Helton...you could find him at first base next year. Theo's obsessions have landed us JD Drew and Julio Lugo.

My preference is that they forget about ARod and resign Lowell. Manny has one year left on his contract so they will need to look for another big bat. I would just prefer it not be Rodriguez.

Maybe I'm weird but I'd happily take the best player in the game. But since Pujols isn't available I'd happily take A-Rod (zing! No seriously, what's with the "best player" title being uniformly applied to A-Rod?).

The difference between Mike Lowell and Rodriguez is huge. Even if you assume career average from Rodriguez rather than a repeat of 2007 he is heads-and-shoulders above Lowell. Lowell requires less money and a shorter commitment. Lowell is also much older and his future performance is hardly predictable. You know you're getting at least an OPS+ of 140+ with A-Rod. Lowell could range anywhere from 90 to 125 and I wouldn't be surprised.

As for the playoffs, pitching wins in the playoffs. Guys like A-Rod really help getting you there. Besides, in Boston A-Rod wouldn't have a chokemaster like Jeter hitting into DPs and failing to get on-base in front of him (I know that's unfair. I just feel like Jeter is getting a free pass for the Cleveland series while A-Rod is getting killed).

In spite of everything I've said here I think Boston should pass on A-Rod. Eight years at 30M per should only go to someone in his 20s with zero question marks. A-Rod is in his 30s and has some issues. He'd be a great pickup at a reasonable rate but not at a premium.

You can defend and heap praise all you want on A-Rod, he is a loser. Puts up big numbers during the season. One RBI in 16 playoff games. Love this excuse, 'pitching wins playoff games, hitters only get you there. Yes, pitching does win playoff games but that doesn't mean your big guys don't have to hit. There would be plenty of threads if Manny or Big Pappi stunk it up in the playoffs. Then we take liberty with A-Rods personality. Big Pappi will straighten him out. Ah.....no. Big Pappi is a great hitter but not a clubhouse enforcer, don't make him out to be something he is not. A-Rod couldn't even get along with Jeter.
Yea, I'm just thrilled in hearing about not signing the greatest defensive third baseman in baseball history and moving a first baseman who had ZERO errors for the year to third and signing the richest baseball contract ever to a player who chokes in postseason. Lets put his locker next to Nancy Drew.

The difference between Mike Lowell and Rodriguez is huge. Even if you assume career average from Rodriguez rather than a repeat of 2007 he is heads-and-shoulders above Lowell. Lowell requires less money and a shorter commitment. Lowell is also much older and his future performance is hardly predictable. You know you're getting at least an OPS+ of 140+ with A-Rod. Lowell could range anywhere from 90 to 125 and I wouldn't be surprised.

Is the difference worth 20 mill though? Look at it this way - we're already a World Series caliber team with Lowell, what do you think is a better way of getting better and guaranteeing continued success? Spending that 20 mil on pitching or spending it on upgrading at a position we are doing well at it?

Don't throw stats back at me... It's the "Curse of the Rodrigo" - I'm telling you! And I want no part of it.

And I'm perfectly happy seeing the Yankees be the latest team to be cursed...

Once A-Rod plays for you you'll NEVER win the World Series again... at least that's what's been the case thus far with A-Rod! ;)

But beyond that, would I prefer Mike Lowell and someone like a 15+ game winning pitcher at $15 million each for say 4 years, or Alex Rodriguez at $30 million a season for something guaranteed of twice that long.

Can you count on A-Rod to keep up a pace of .300 batting and 45 HRs from age 32 to 40?

We know we don't need A-Rod to win the World Series... but we do need good pitching and enough power hitting to protect Ortiz. From a purely baseball standpoint A-Rod is not good enough to justify 2 salaries.

Because an off-year for ARod is a career year for Lowell. Lowell is a very good player; ARod could retire tomorrow and be a first ballot HOF. Not wanting to resign Lowell in favor of ARod has nothing to do with Lowell not being good enough, it just has to do with wanting someone who is on pace to be one of the greatest players in the history of baseball.

If they have the opportunity to sign ARod for a reasonable price ($21-23M a season) than Mike Lowell should not come in the way. I'd be shocked if they could sign him for a reasonable price (and agree with not signing him if Boras doesn't back down), but they should at least pursue him if he becomes a FA.

Plus, hes good friends with Ortiz, so I don't think the "clubhouse cancer" rumor would be that much of a concern.

I'm not saying that he should be happy about what he did in the postseason this year, I just find it harder to chastise someone for doing poorly when a majority of those around them do even worse.

And ARod left on 6 guys on base. Thats not bad. Cano and Damon (two of the only guys with a pulse) left on 7 and 6. If not for ARods 2006 postseason there would be no criticism at all for ARod this year.

He drove in one run, and that was a homer in Game 4 with the score 6-2. It was a pretty meaningless hit. The problem is comparing a 3 time MVP and 50 homer 150 RBI guy to a .260 hitting CF & a 3rd year second baseman who's got maybe 1,000 big league AB's. If A-Rod is supposed to be the "best player in baseball", he needs to deliver. It might be unfair, but that's how it goes.

$21-23 million is at least $7-9 million short. The starting point has to be $30 million. He's got $27 per coming for the next 3, so why take a pay cut, when you can extend with the Yanks for 5 added years and $150 million? Had he delivered in the playoffs, he'd likely opt out. I'm not so sure that happens anymore. Not this year maybe.

Maybe I'm weird but I'd happily take the best player in the game. But since Pujols isn't available I'd happily take A-Rod (zing! No seriously, what's with the "best player" title being uniformly applied to A-Rod?).

As for the playoffs, pitching wins in the playoffs. Guys like A-Rod really help getting you there. Besides, in Boston A-Rod wouldn't have a chokemaster like Jeter hitting into DPs and failing to get on-base in front of him (I know that's unfair. I just feel like Jeter is getting a free pass for the Cleveland series while A-Rod is getting killed).

In spite of everything I've said here I think Boston should pass on A-Rod. Eight years at 30M per should only go to someone in his 20s with zero question marks. A-Rod is in his 30s and has some issues. He'd be a great pickup at a reasonable rate but not at a premium.

Jeter is getting a free pass because he's likely to have knee surgery in the next couple of weeks.

Is the difference worth 20 mill though? Look at it this way - we're already a World Series caliber team with Lowell, what do you think is a better way of getting better and guaranteeing continued success? Spending that 20 mil on pitching or spending it on upgrading at a position we are doing well at it?

Personally, I'd resign Lowell for 3 years and trade Youk, while trying to replace him with a more power oriented 1B. Lowell will probably be $10-12 million over 3, while ARod will be $30 million per. I'd prefer to throw that money toward a 1B with power and maybe a bullpen arm. Youk is a decent player but not a corner bat. With such little HR power outside of Manny and Papi, the Sox would be well served to add some somewhere.

You can defend and heap praise all you want on A-Rod, he is a loser. Puts up big numbers during the season. One RBI in 16 playoff games. Love this excuse, 'pitching wins playoff games, hitters only get you there. Yes, pitching does win playoff games but that doesn't mean your big guys don't have to hit. There would be plenty of threads if Manny or Big Pappi stunk it up in the playoffs. Then we take liberty with A-Rods personality. Big Pappi will straighten him out. Ah.....no. Big Pappi is a great hitter but not a clubhouse enforcer, don't make him out to be something he is not. A-Rod couldn't even get along with Jeter.
Yea, I'm just thrilled in hearing about not signing the greatest defensive third baseman in baseball history and moving a first baseman who had ZERO errors for the year to third and signing the richest baseball contract ever to a player who chokes in postseason. Lets put his locker next to Nancy Drew.
Ok, like Lowell better than ARod if you want, but don't say that you'd rather have Lowell because ARod sucks in the postseason. Lowell has a .218BA career in the postseason. Its not like Lowell is some proven super clutch post season player... hes actually been worse than ARod in the postseason throughout their careers.

ARod had fewer errors at third this year too.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back